Tell us about your experience meeting a guest who is no longer with us

• Showmasters Admin

Tell us of your experience of meeting a guest who is no longer with us that attended one of our events in the past ?

Maybe post your photo with them ?

Its amazing who we do get to meet over the years and we have been lucky to have been able to meet some of these amazing people , its why i run these events is to meet some stars i have always wanted to meet :-)

so tell us your stories :-)

Edited by StuartG2198
  • Like 2

i like collecting the older stars, one of the best days ever was meeting Ernest Borgnine, George Kennedy and Mickey Rooney. sad to think all these Autografica guests are gone now. Thanks to Jason and Dave this was a great event in Birmingham and i still come across people who have that as their favourite day attending conventions. And of course meeting Tony Curtis at the same venue just afterwards.

• Like 1

The one that stands out for me was Robin Sachs at HW2. I had to leave before the closing ceremony to catch a flight and while I was waiting in the lobby, Robin walked past on his way to the main hall. He stopped to ask if I'd enjoyed my weekend, to thank me for coming and to wish me a pleasant journey home. This is how I will always remember Robin.

• Like 3

Lucky for me I don't think I have been in that situation as no one likes to see there favourite actors pass but I am gutted to have missed Leonard Nimoy loved both Fringe and Star Trek and he is such a classic icon.

• Like 2

Both of my experiences were with guests I wasn't planning to meet initially.

Firstly, Elizabeth Sladen - I wasn't so into meeting Doctor Who guests at the time and I was also far stricter about not adding to my list of people I'd planned (and budgeted!) to meet than I am now! But I was in a long, slow moving queue just down from her table so I had a while to see her meeting other fans. She seemed so nice, particularly with all the families with young children meeting her. So I decided that if her queue wasn't silly long by the time I was done in my queue I'd say hello and get an autograph - luckily she had no one in her queue when I was done, so I did meet her - I got a personalised autograph and an over the table photo and had a nice little chat until someone else joined the queue.

Secondly, Leonard Nimoy - I had 3 other guests I desperately wanted to meet at that Collectomania and I was fixated on getting virtual queue tickets for them when I arrived, so I didn't get a VQ ticket for Leonard. I had photo op with him and decided that would be enough. But then by the end of the day, just as I was leaving after picking up all my photo op photos I noticed he now had an open queue - and there I was with my Leonard photo op photo in my hand. So I met him and got my photo op signed. It was just a brief meeting, but I'm glad that I didn't miss out.

I'm always incredibly sad to think of all the great actors I've missed over the years. I almost met Brooke McCarter in November, which was great for a Lost Boys fan as me. He cancelled because he fell ill, but I was shocked to hear he passed away only a month later. Showmasters has had great actors I would've loved to meet, like Pete Postlethwaite.

As for my own experience. I've met Richard Brooker, Marilyn Burns and Angus Scrimm. Sadly, I don't remember much about Richard Brooker, but Marilyn Burns was a sweetheart. I met her once when unfortunately I ran out of budget and wasn't able to get her autograph but we had a very nice chat. I was lucky enough to meet her again on the same convention, on her birthday weekend even. Incredibly nice lady. Angus Scrimm (Tall Man from Phantasm) was nice as well. I had a short conversation with him about his imdb trivia (that claims he can speak Dutch, but apparantly that's not true).

ive met a few stars over the last few years at these conventions but one star i would have loved to have met was corey haim,think showmasters mentioned that he has been at an event that they have run,i would loved to have met him

I met Leslie Nielson around 6 months before he died who was such a joy to meet.

Also met Leonard Nemoy

It's photos like this that made me wish I'd started to go to cons much earlier than 2014 !!!

MewithLeslieNielsen.jpg

It's photos like this that make me wish I'd started going to cons earlier than 2014 !!!!! What a legend !!! Edited by Zombiebeegee
  • Like 1

Roger Lloyd Pack was one of the first guests I met when I started going to conventions. He was great to meet but unfortunately his autograph wasn't. The pen he was using started to run out of ink so he got another pen and wrote over the top of it so it looks messy. I wish I had asked him to sign another photo but back then I hadn't got the confidence to. Thankfully this hasn't happened with any other guests since.

• Showmasters Admin

It is sad but at least we do get to meet them and they love meeting us as you take time to talk to them and are interested in there work so everyone gets something from these amazing days.

We will miss them but they will NEVER be forgotten.

Stay frosty everyone :-)

For me it's Buster Merryfield (Uncle Albert from Only Fools and Horses) and Dame Kate O'Mara - the meeting with Buster Merryfield was completely unexpected, he was in a local Natwest branch back in the 90s, signing copies of his book. They'd tucked him right in a corner near the exit so nobody saw him sitting at the table but my Dad spotted him just as we were leaving and I heard him say hello. I turned around and there was Uncle Albert! Didn't see that one coming at all! lol He was a really nice and friendly guy and had a warm handshake. It's a shame I was so shy in those days (not like now!) but he signed a copy of his book and I still have it to this day!

Dame Kate O'Mara was at the last LFCC that she did. I nearly didn't meet her as it was such a big gap between photoshoots and she was last thing Sunday for me - I was really tired by that point. Luckily, I decided to stay to see her. She was really nice when I met her - she asked me my name and how I was and just seemed very friendly. She turned out to be one of the highlights that weekend for me as she was so nice. It was really sad when I saw she had passed a couple of months or so later but it's nice to have the memory of having met her.

Kate O'Mara was really sweet. I met her a few years back and she was so lovely. She really made my day. We were talking about her films and I remember thinking something seemed strange. She seemed very sad and reflective though she tried to hide it behind a great smile. She died a few months later.

I had the honour of meeting Arlene Martel at DSTL 2012. She was an absolutely wonderful woman who fangirled over how good I looked in my uniform while I fangirled over meeting her. She asked to look at the photo my mum had taken and said that "we both look great in this" before giving me a huge smile. Such a lovely lady. I was so sad to hear that she had died

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/421034_10151227385023927_1530551167_n.jpg?oh=9a5634e2e43c326b21445b2b8b268c2f&oe=580858E4

Meeting at Andy Hallett back in 2007 at Collectormania 8. Such a lovely guy and I was and still am a massive Lorne fan.

I even bought a figure of Lorne for him to sign and I still have it now, unopened. I considered selling it but since his passing, I'd rather keep it as a souvenir.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I nearly didn't meet Elizabeth Sladen when she last did LFCC because I had a lot of guests to get that weekend and she was on the 'lower priority' list. Luckily decided to drop a few others but not her, had a nice chat and a table pic. Would never have guessed that she was already pretty ill by then.

The one that stands out in my mind as an experience I will never forget was when I got to meet the great Leonard Nimoy in Milton Keynes. It was a cold and wet day, we were in the stadium, and he was tucked away with a smile on his face happily meeting and greeting fans.

We had a brief chat, I got my autograph and shared a Vulcan salute with Mr Spock. As a huge trek fan; that will be my lasting memory.

LLAP

• Like 2

Many years ago at a Showmasters event I got to meet Corey Haim. He hadn't aged at all and I was so excited as Lost Boys is one of my all time favourite films. He was so chatty and friendly and seemed interested in everyone he spoke to.

I still have my Lost Boys pic he signed to me and as one of my first showmasters experiences it's still one of my most treasured.

Edited by martinthewookie
  • Like 1