Photoshoots Vs Autograph Experiences

Interested to find out what others views are on this, but at this show and over the last few years my perception is the guests seem to be having a lot more fun in the photoshoots than sitting at their table signing autographs. Perhaps it is because they go more into performing mode, and accept it's not always the case, but certainly some of the guests seem to come to life in the photoshoots. Maybe something to do with the set up for the autos as well, just having a table between you and the guest seems to act as a physical and mental barrier I think on the meets. For example, Jermey Bulloch positioned himself fan side and was standing up to meet and greet at his auto table which personally made for a fantastic meet. I know that won't always be possible for a range of reasons, but would be good to consder whether this could become more of the norm in the future. I always remember back at one of the early LFCC events, might have even been the first, Michael Biehn sat himself fan side of the table as well and that made for a much better experience as well.

I think it could be boring for the guest just to sit there all day signing things, so when they get in the photo shoot they let themselves go a bit. It's nice to have a bit of fun. Some photos look really good when they pose. Also you really have to think of the security of the guest, Not everyone may be a fan or maybe too much of a fan? Oh Amanda.. Sigh :whistling:

• Moderators

It can depend on who it is really.

I'm amazed at how fantastic all the Peter Dinklage ones are for example, and I know he tried his best during the autos but obviously getting through that many is exhausting and fairly restrictive, so yes the experience was less there than during the shoots.

However some guests get more time to talk during the autos and so you get a better thing there.

I certainly don't think it's logistically possible to do away with the 'barrier' between fans, and it's probably just asking for trouble.

I've never done any photo shoots - only signings. I'm starting to think I might give it a go though, depending on the right opportunity with the right guest.

I'll have to consider it when I plan my next con (maybe Cardiff 2013).

Michael Biehn sat himself fan side of the table as well and that made for a much better experience as well.

Why does it seem like everyone but myself has met Michael? :crying:

Edited by crazydan182

I think it depends on the guest really, as David has said. Those that are perhaps less talkative when signing can be great at posing in photoshoots and vice versa. As it stands, I think I slightly prefer autographs and generally that experience tends to be more personal but then again, it depends on the guest and how busy that guest is whilst signing.

I went to a convention, where the guest decided to not worry about security and go out and meet the cosplayers, the guest also wore cosplay.

As for autos vs photographs, it's like David said, people like Peter and Norman really give more experience when they doing their shoots.

Generally I would say autos as you get more chance of a chat but I really loved this years photo sessions, they were so much fun! Loved the Lena and Peter double shoot, was not sure to get one or not as I had both singles pre booked but glad I went with my heart.

I prefer the phtoshoots simply because I don't like to ask for an over the table shot when I get them signed - It's quick but more informal I feel, the artists can have more of a joke and a laugh in that enclosed area.

Autographs for me

In photoshoots it feels rushed to much but when I meet guests in autographs the talk and personalise the photo and its just much better imo

Both Peter Dinklage and David Hasslehoff were more then happy to talk. Which was very surprised at due to the amount of people in Peter's queue.

Also Norman Reedus was great, spotting my gf taking his photo as we left Dinklage's booth, Norman waved at her (the shock of which left her frozen in disbelief) :)

I defintiely prefer the autographs because I like getting personalisations and having a little chat with the guest. I'm not a huge fan of the photos because the background reminds me of old school photos and I don't like the way I look head on with a flash!!!

For me I like them both the same.. The autos u get a chance to talk to then and some of the guests feel comfortable that way..

But as said above it is down to the guest but I know on Saturday David took the time to speak to every single person who came through the queue even though he was busy... same with Peter as well..

I have had expereinces where I met a guests in both settings and they were not the person who I thought they were and found out after it was because they were so tired and jet lagged..

I always get both, but I find you get more of a chance to interact with the guest when getting the autographs, like this time I had a conversation with Eoin Macken about his new film. I like the photo-shoot as there is not longer a barrier between you, though you were kind of rushed through, and at another event you got a minute after the photo-shoot whilst they checked your photo and then the print, which was great as I always ask for a hug/handshake :)

I prefer Autographs but i do get a couple of photo shoots per event,The Hoff and KITT and Sylvester McCoy this year

but for the first time this year i did attempt a few over the table shots most of which turned out pretty good i have to say

and i am so glad i dont like Game of Thrones !

I'm going to say both,my 1st ever LFFC & I thorougly enjoyed both my photo shoot & then the autograph from Louise Jameson,I'd only just decided to go for an autograph after my photo shoot that day & am so glad that I did,I even managed to have a little chat with her,thanking her for making my day so special & all that & then when she had personalised my photo with her,she said "Well,I hope you enjoy the rest of the day love" amazing experience,I hope that this will lead to me meeting other actors/actresses in the near future at whichever event I attend next,wow :smile:

I like them both equally, photoshoots because I usually get to get up close and personal with the guest (with their ok of course) yet with the autos it's nice to have that little bit more time with them and have a chat and also some of them remember you from the photos, especially if you're a bit of a klutz like me!!!!! :smile:

I like both. Especially Autos on personal photos with the guest where the photos are some years old. The reaction how they looked like etc. is most of the time very entertaining.

At another show I had the lovely gorgeous Evy Myles to sign a photo from her first LFCC visit being 6 month pregnant.

Her comment to that photo, in her known free speech of mind, "OMG (i censored the more explicit words she used :D ) that was when i was 6 month pregnant right? . Look how ugly i was... and that haircut... Then she took the photo ran over to John Barrowman showed it to him and said... "U can be soooo lucky. Cause that's what u r looking like when u r pregnant."

Thanks for this, I never thought about it like this. I did not have enough money to get Eve to sign my photo I had taken with her and will look out to see if I can get her to sign it at a convention in the future. I must say Eve looked amazing!.

I decided that I prefer photo shoots and getting those photo's signed than 8 x 10's as I get a real buzz

on my off days when I look through the photo album to see myself with some of my fave guests and any personalization and message they give against the photo. Its nice to have a little chat when getting the autograph and to thank them . Its very true that the guests remember you from photoshoots. I had a photo shoot with Sarah on Friday and she remembered me on getting the photo signed on Saturday which made my day. I had thanked her on Friday for making it to London, she said she had a lot of family in London and loved being in London.

I spent most of last week looking at my photos with some truly excellent guests and am still pinching myself. I can safely say I am hooked, honestly I cannot wait for the next show.

Edited by BigDave
  • Like 1

I enjoy photoshoots. Mainly because I have something really special to me to take home.

I'm usually so shy when I have gotten autographs I don't really say more than hi how are you.... so to me I much prefer the photoshoots they seem more special for me :smile:

For me? Photoshoots are too informal, a nice desk photo is much better and doesn't seem as forced, if that makes sense.

I've only had a few photoshoots and most of them have been awesome with the way they came out, granted this is because Malcolm took them.

With getting a photo at the desk (with the Autograph) it adds to it if that makes sense.

Thanks for this, I never thought about it like this. I did not have enough money to get Eve to sign my photo I had taken with her and will look out to see if I can get her to sign it at a convention in the future. I must say Eve looked amazing!.

I decided that I prefer photo shoots and getting those photo's signed than 8 x 10's as I get a real buzz

on my off days when I look through the photo album to see myself with some of my fave guests and any personalization and message they give against the photo. Its nice to have a little chat when getting the autograph and to thank them . Its very true that the guests remember you from photoshoots. I had a photo shoot with Sarah on Friday and she remembered me on getting the photo signed on Saturday which made my day. I had thanked her on Friday for making it to London, she said she had a lot of family in London.

I spent most of last week looking at my photos with some truly excellent guests and am still pinching myself. I can safely say I am hooked, honestly I cannot wait for the next show.

Hi BigDave, good to meet you by the way and good chat on the Friday night. It's great looking back at the photos and reliving the memories. Hope to see you again at the next one. GG