New Attendees Advice Thread

R4wly97

16 hours ago, LadyLiberty said:

Hi, a newbie here! It's my first time attending any con and I'm really nervous, so if you guys could clarify a few things for me I would be really grateful. :)

1. During photo-ops, how tolerant are the photographers and crew towards poses? I mean how easily do they allow people to do poses with a guest? I know that poses that are complex and time-consuming are forbidden, but would a hugging pose be alright, if the guest agrees to it? I would really love it if I could hug my idol when I meet her, as it has been my dream for a long time. However if the photo-op crew says no to a hug, is it possible to get a hug when getting an autograph from her? (Actually what do you guys recommend, should I try to get a hug during photos or during autographs? That is if the queues aren't long and the guest is ok with it.)

Normally, a crew member will announce any requests made by the guest.

At one LFCC a couple of years ago, I overheard one crew member saying that the guest concerned has requested no physical contact.

And the year before that, I read on the forum that a couple of guests made such a request for their photoshoots.

@LadyLiberty And never be afraid to ask. Crew or the guest. Never hurt. And if you end up further down the queue..you will see what other attendees do. Many guests do pose, hug or handshake. I have always asked, some guests have even suggested to do something special. But it all are up to who you are meeting. But you will notice on the day. Don't worry. ^_^

Some people go full force and just ask. Like Hello there can I pick you up or Hello can you get on my back! Its great to see people just get stuck in and have fun :-D some deserve danger pay haha

But a good hug is always awesome beyond words I say, some of my favourite photos are full on hugs with guests. I ussually say Hugs, as I walk towards them open orn armed haha

When you like them, get stuck in. That photo is worth it.

30 minutes ago, RomeroSavini said:

Some people go full force and just ask. Like Hello there can I pick you up or Hello can you get on my back! Its great to see people just get stuck in and have fun :-D some deserve danger pay haha

But a good hug is always awesome beyond words I say, some of my favourite photos are full on hugs with guests. I ussually say Hugs, as I walk towards them open orn armed haha

When you like them, get stuck in. That photo is worth it.

It is defo better to go for it and get rejected than never ask. However, if the guest doesn't want to do it, take no for an answer. I just say this because someone in front of me in a queue (who is or used to be a forum member in fact) asked for something unusual from a female guest, she politely refused but he kept pushing for it. Judging from what she said after he'd eventually moved on, she was very unhappy and uncomfortable with the situation.

Hi, first timer here. Is it allowed to talk, briefly of course, to the guests while for example when getting their autograph just to express gratitude for their work or something personal one might want to share with them or is just a quick hello and thanks allowed? I really don't know the rules for it.

I imagine that while doing the photo op one would have less time to say anything.

13 minutes ago, David1993 said:

Hi, first timer here. Is it allowed to talk, briefly of course, to the guests while for example when getting their autograph just to express gratitude for their work or something personal one might want to share with them or is just a quick hello and thanks allowed? I really don't know the rules for it.

I imagine that while doing the photo op one would have less time to say anything.

Hello, I'm sure you will have a great time at your first event event. Ask any questions you have, someone on here will be happy to answer. :D

Photo shoots are very brief. You'll only have time to say a quick hello and thanks, or maybe ask for a pose if you want to do that.

The time it takes to get an autograph really does depend on the guest. For smaller names, like some of the Doctor Who people I've met, we've spoken for a good ten minutes about the show and other things, but with the larger names like Jason Momoa you'll probably only get time for a hello and a few other quick words and that's that. 

Edited by The Friendly Dalek
  • Thanks 1

What the Dalek said.

Photo shoots are having people steadily move in and out, and unless you're lucky and the camera malfunctions while you are standing next to the guest you won't really have time to talk.

In the autograph area it depends on the lines, and if a guest has to go somewhere. If you walk up just before a photo shoot and the guest has t leave there will be only time for a quick hello even if there is no one behind you. Otherwise, the bigger the make is the more unlikely you get time for longer stories. There should normally be the time for "I loved you in this and that movie", but "sharing something personal" can mean so much, no one can guarantee anything.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for all  your help!

When buying online a single autograph ticket once at the con you have to go somewhere to get a virtual ticket for your place in queue, is that correct? Bit lost

I read it somewhere on this forum a while ago and I don't remember exactly, sorry. I'm writing all this stuff down now for once I'm there^_^

Last thing, if I get a Diamond Pass and I want one more autograph from the guest do I just buy another one online and then show the ticket there to the crew member at the guest table or do I also have to get some number for that? This might be a very silly question, apologies! 

3 minutes ago, David1993 said:

When buying online a single autograph ticket once at the con you have to go somewhere to get a virtual ticket for your place in queue, is that correct? Bit lost

I read it somewhere on this forum a while ago and I don't remember exactly, sorry. I'm writing all this stuff down now for once I'm there^_^

Last thing, if I get a Diamond Pass and I want one more autograph from the guest do I just buy another one online and then show the ticket there to the crew member at the guest table or do I also have to get some number for that? This might be a very silly question, apologies! 

You don't buy autographs on-line. You get them on the day. You will need a virtual queue ticket for popular guests. 

If you have a diamond pass you can buy extra autographs at the guest table again on the day.

No such thing as a silly question.  I was a newbie last year. Ask whatever you need. And have fun at the con. :D

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, David1993 said:

You don't buy auto's online.  When you get into the event go to the table of each guest you want and collect a numbered ticket from the crew there, that will be you place in the virtual queue.  You can then go off and do other stuff and keep checking back at each queue.  Once your number has been reached you can join the actual queue at any point.  You them pay for the autos you want at the guests table.

• Thanks 1

If you buy a Diamond pass you won't need a VQ ticket for that guest as your pass acts as your place in the queue.

You can pay for auto's with cash at the guests table or if you prefer you can use a card at the Sales desk to buy vouchers, though the queues at the sales desk can be long.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Queen_Sindel said:

I think I will start adjusting the FAQ and get this year's version up. I thought I may be able to push it til the next bank holiday, but guess not. ;)

Make sure you include where the bear's trousers are, as that might come up a lot

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Hi I have two photos booked with the same person how can I make sure my pics are different I don’t want two the same pose ? Do I just mention it before I go up ? 

Never done something like this before thanks 

45 minutes ago, Juliet18 said:

Hi I have two photos booked with the same person how can I make sure my pics are different I don’t want two the same pose ? Do I just mention it before I go up ? 

Never done something like this before thanks 

You tell the crew member who's at the head of the queue when you get to the front you have 2 and they will tell the photographer, then you just have them taken one after the other, if you want to change pose do it as quickly as you can, if you want the guest to move as well, and they are amenable, just let them know what you want, but remember simpler is better.

Bear in mind there's no guarantee the guest will do poses but most are willing to play around a little.

Edited by Raylenth