New Attendees advice thread

Raylenth

Seriously though, never give unsuspecting people stuff like this even if you think it's just a bit of fun as you never know if they have medical issues and if something happened as a result you wouldn't want to be in the position of being responsible.

9 minutes ago, Dave[BE] said:

After all those years of drewling at my computer screen I'm finally visiting LFCC! I'm so excited.

There are so many pages in this thread (and on this forum). Is there anything I should know of?

I will be arriving at Stansted airport early on Friday morning. Still trying to find out how to get to Olympia.

Never been to London. B)

Hi Dave, it might be easier if you ask what you want to know and we can answer. 

Stansted to Olympia is quite easy, if you go to national rail (or Greater Anglia as Stansted/Stratford is part of it's route) it will tell you what route to take though I'm guessing it will be to Stratford where it will tell you to change to the Overground to Kensington Olympia.  It's an easy route and stops right outside the venue

Edited by Raylenth
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dave[BE] said:

Thanks for your reply. I'll check out the railway sched. I'm new to all this. Never heard about the "overground" before. :rolleyes::D

Maybe a quick question. I'm actually coming to meet mr Siner, mr Gibson and mrs Hartman. Any chance I can have something autographed?

Or is that too early? I already got the tickets for entrance and the photo shoot.

The guests sign all day unless they are doing photoshoots, a talk or are on a break. So yes, you can absolutely get an autograph. But not in the photosession, and it will be a separate charge. Autographs can't be prebooked.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dave[BE] said:

Thanks for your reply. I'll check out the railway sched. I'm new to all this. Never heard about the "overground" before. :rolleyes::D

Maybe a quick question. I'm actually coming to meet mr Siner, mr Gibson and mrs Hartman. Any chance I can have something autographed?

Or is that too early? I already got the tickets for entrance and the photo shoot.

Yes, you will be able to buy autographs at the show. It might be an idea for you to have a read of last year's FAQ section. There will be one put up in here for this year closer to the show and there could be some changes that we don't know about yet, but this will give you an idea of how everything works. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dave[BE] said:

Oh ok, thanks. I guess there are long lines to get an autograph, right?

They can be depending on the guest.  The most important thing to read from the FAQ is the section on how the autographs work and familiarize yourself with the Virtual Queuing (VQ) system.  this is usually in place for any guest who's auto is £20/25 and above and is a queue management system to prevent really long queues - basically for any guest on the VQ system you go and collect a numbered ticket for them then leave the queue and you can rejoin it after your number has been called.  It means they only have about 30 people in the physical queue so it stops the auto area getting too overcrowded and it means you don't have to stand in 1 queue for, potentially, many hours but can go off and get other stuff done knowing that you have a place in the virtual queue.

44 minutes ago, Dave[BE] said:

After all those years of drewling at my computer screen I'm finally visiting LFCC! I'm so excited.

There are so many pages in this thread (and on this forum). Is there anything I should know of?

I will be arriving at Stansted airport early on Friday morning. Still trying to find out how to get to Olympia.

Never been to London. B)

Take the Stansted Express to Tottenham Hale https://www.stanstedexpress.com/. You can buy tickets online or on the spot. Then the tube to Highbury & Islington (Victoria Line) and then the Overground to Kensington Olympia. The Overground is just like the tube but overground; you use the same kind of tickets/cards. Also check the Transport for London website https://tfl.gov.uk/ for a map of the tube. There is also a journey planner which tells you exactly where to change if you're going from one place to another - very handy.

2 hours ago, Dave[BE] said:

Never been to London. B)

I’m arriving at Stansted Airport as well. If you prefer having a short walk rather than changing lots of trains, you could take the Stansted Express to Liverpool St station, then the underground Hammersmith & City line to Hammersmith, which is a 10 min walk from the Olympia. That’s what I’m going to do because it’s close to my hotel and I’ll stop there to leave my luggage first, but it might be a convenient route for you too ;)

Suppose I want to buy a photo with an actor.  Suppose I want that photo to include my (amusing) cosplay.  Suppose the amusing cosplay isn't just a waist-up affair.  Would I be able to ask the photographer to step back and get more of me in the frame, or is it Standard Pose Only?

4 hours ago, Pir8Jenny said:

Suppose I want to buy a photo with an actor.  Suppose I want that photo to include my (amusing) cosplay.  Suppose the amusing cosplay isn't just a waist-up affair.  Would I be able to ask the photographer to step back and get more of me in the frame, or is it Standard Pose Only?

You can certainly request they take it portrait. There's not really enough room for them to step back per se, but as long as you speak quickly you can ask them to get as much of you in as possible.

• Thanks 1

Two random questions about talks:

1. How do you buy tickets for paid (non-Diamond) talks? Do you book them in advance on the Eventbrite store page once they’re released, or do you pay directly on the day like you do for autographs?
  2. Is it possible for two Diamond talks or paid talks to overlap? I already have Pearl Mackie’s Diamond talk scheduled for the Saturday and was considering booking Tom Welling’s Diamond talk as well on the same day. Are they likely to clash? Is it better to just wait for the schedule to be released before booking more talks?

You can buy tickets on Eventbrite, and I think you can buy them at the Sales Desk at the event.

Last year, according to last year’s program, there were 2 stages and both had paid talks overlapping on the Saturday and Sunday, but there was only one instance when 2 Diamond talks clashed so may be best to wait until the schedule (unless it’s a Diamond guest you REALLY want an autograph from).

Edited by Sebster118
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Sebster118 said:

You can buy tickets on Eventbrite, and I think you can buy them at the Sales Desk at the event.

Last year, according to last year’s program, there were 2 stages and both had paid talks overlapping on the Saturday and Sunday, but there was only one instance when 2 Diamond talks clashed so may be best to wait until the schedule (unless it’s a Diamond guest you REALLY want an autograph from).

Thank you for all the info. That’s what I’ve done, so far I’m attending only talks included in Diamond Passes for guests I want a photo and auto from as well. There are other Diamond guests I’m not very interested in collecting autos from so I don’t really want to buy their full DP, but I’d enjoy seeing them at their panel, so that’s why I asked. I’ll follow your advice and wait for the schedule before buying additional talk tickets, except for Diamond guests I want the full Diamond Pass anyway ;)

On 25/05/2018 at 7:44 PM, Nerd Who said:

Thank you for all the info. That’s what I’ve done, so far I’m attending only talks included in Diamond Passes for guests I want a photo and auto from as well. There are other Diamond guests I’m not very interested in collecting autos from so I don’t really want to buy their full DP, but I’d enjoy seeing them at their panel, so that’s why I asked. I’ll follow your advice and wait for the schedule before buying additional talk tickets, except for Diamond guests I want the full Diamond Pass anyway ;)

Sebster is correct Nerd, you can see the schedules from last year here and you can see what happened with the talks - they are all labelled free/paid/diamond 

• Thanks 1

If you have a photo taken with a guest and you don’t like it or you’ve got your eyes closed or something are you allowed to have a reshoot with the guest or not?

Edited by R4wly97

2 minutes ago, R4wly97 said:

If you have a photo taken with a guest and you don’t like it or you’ve got your eyes closed or something are you allowed to have a reshoot with the guest or not?

As long as you haven't left the enclosed shoot area, speak to a crew member and they'll see if they can squeeze you in if they agree. :smile:

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, R4wly97 said:

This happened to my mum twice last year, they took the photo that didn't work out and she joined the back of the queue within the photo area (i.e. she didn't have to go all the way to the back of the batches queue just outside the enclosed photo area)

TBH if you don't like it but there's nothing wrong with the picture then they won't do a reshoot R4.  It's to prevent people taking the michael and getting reshoots for free (as they still upload the rejected pics to the hosting site that you can purchase people do try it on sometimes to try and get a second pic), so the only way they will do a reshoot is if your eyes are closed or if there's something wrong (Like with one of my Cumberpics where Cumbers was cut in half as he stepped back too far) or if the picture is blurry ect. 

Even with eye's shut it's down to the decision of the crew if they allow a reshoot.  They are good at picking up bad ones though as they do check them when they are printed.

1 minute ago, Raylenth said:

TBH if you don't like it but there's nothing wrong with the picture then they won't do a reshoot R4.  It's to prevent people taking the michael and getting reshoots for free (as they still upload the rejected pics to the hosting site that you can purchase people do try it on sometimes to try and get a second pic), so the only way they will do a reshoot is if your eyes are closed or if there's something wrong (Like with one of my Cumberpics where Cumbers was cut in half as he stepped back too far) or if the picture is blurry ect. 

Even with eye's shut it's down to the decision of the crew if they allow a reshoot.  They are good at picking up bad ones though as they do check them when they are printed.

I have even seen guests asking for a reshoot with someone. That happen too.