New Attendees advice thread

Raylenth

Just now, R4wly97 said:

I haven’t bought them yet I’m going to today.

Regular Sharpie are fine, just don't buy paint ones.  Or do buy one if you want and test it and see what it's like, paint pens can splodge.

4 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Regular Sharpie are fine, just don't buy paint ones.  Or do buy one if you want and test it and see what it's like, paint pens can splodge.

@Raylenth I think I’m just going to get a metallic sharpie pack and a normal pack with black and blue in to be honest because I haven’t decided what colours I’m using on what I’m getting signed 

5 hours ago, whitewillow said:

Gold and silver you must be especially careful with in that respect. A friend of mine once had a gold pen autograph wiped off because she didn't wait for it to dry!

Was it a photo bought at the table in the con, or did she bring her own? I've found certain home made prints and photos to be especially bad for absorbing Sharpie ink, and the ones at the show should be fine. Fair point on the metallic ones taking a little longer to dry than regular colours, I'm usually getting things signed with silver or gold (depending on the background colour), and leave more time for them to settle than black before they go into the mylar sleeves.

All I will add here is that I got some items signed over 20 years ago and the autograph is still in the same condition at the time it was written. Then again, I tend to keep most of my collection out of sunlight :P

6 hours ago, Mayhem said:

Was it a photo bought at the table in the con, or did she bring her own? I've found certain home made prints and photos to be especially bad for absorbing Sharpie ink, and the ones at the show should be fine. Fair point on the metallic ones taking a little longer to dry than regular colours, I'm usually getting things signed with silver or gold (depending on the background colour), and leave more time for them to settle than black before they go into the mylar sleeves.

All I will add here is that I got some items signed over 20 years ago and the autograph is still in the same condition at the time it was written. Then again, I tend to keep most of my collection out of sunlight :P

I store mine in a safe dark place, away from light. I have had some scanned and then printed and framed, so they are just copies of the originals. Same with the photo ops.

1 hour ago, Loulou894 said:

I have a diamond pass for Ian somerhalder and photo with Ian and Paul, will I have to get there super early to get in for the batch 5 double photo shoot?

many thanks 

No, the schedule will be published about a week before the event LouLou and you can check what time the shoots will be then.  Do you have the duo shoot with them or individual shoots? 

1 hour ago, Loulou894 said:

I have single with Ian with the diamond pass and the duo one with Ian and paul

If that's all you want to do in the day then you don't need to worry about arriving early, both photo's will be at a set time after opening and you will know what time they will be once the schedule is published.  With regards to Ian's auto you join the queue any time after your number has been called and you will find out what your number is once you collect your pass.  So all you really have to do is decide if you want to be there all day in which case I'd get there around 8.30ish to collect your Diamond and you can wander around the venue at your leisure, get your auto when you can join the queue and do your pics when the sessions are on or wait and decide when the schedule is published.  If both your shoots are in the afternoon and you aren't looking to do anything else you could arrive after opening.

If you want Paul's auto and don't have a Diamond for him it's best to arrive early to get a VQ.  We can't advise what time to arrive as it depends on how far you have to come, what transport you are getting, what time it gets you there ect. 

• Thanks 1

Are there any events in the evenings. I will be coming from Leeds via Sheffield to pick up a friend and staying at a local hotel? We are both old ladies now so can't be overdoing it so nothing too wild (plus I will be very tired as am a teacher and that's the week term finishes).

8 minutes ago, Kirstie stark said:

Are there any events in the evenings. I will be coming from Leeds via Sheffield to pick up a friend and staying at a local hotel? We are both old ladies now so can't be overdoing it so nothing too wild (plus I will be very tired as am a teacher and that's the week term finishes).

There's the now Annual Geek Off quiz run by our fellow forum member PenThePirate on the Saturday evening, it was a good laugh last year (We came 3rd! Would've come first if it wasn't for people cheating!) which is not connected to Showmasters (thread below) but there's nothing connected to the evenings with Showmasters announced yet. There's a note on the shop abut evening activities, but there's nothing announced.

1 minute ago, wjbleming said:

There's the now Annual Geek Off quiz run by our fellow forum member PenThePirate on the Saturday evening, it was a good laugh last year (We came 3rd! Would've come first if it wasn't for people cheating!) which is not connected to Showmasters (thread below) but there's nothing connected to the evenings with Showmasters announced yet. There's a note on the shop abut evening activities, but there's nothing announced.

We won fair and square!