New Attendees advice thread

Raylenth

19 minutes ago, whitewillow said:

Didn't know there could be such an issue with Scottish money. I'll have to keep it in mind for when I decide to go to Scotland.

It's when coming from Scotland and Northern Ireland to England.  Scotland and Northern Ireland have our own notes which are legal currency but not legal tenure in England so you got looked at like you've got 2 heads if you handed them over in a shop in England in the past. They're more accepted nowadays I believe but I think most people from Scotland and NI still prefer to use English notes if we can. :smile:

23 minutes ago, whitewillow said:

Didn't know there could be such an issue with Scottish money. I'll have to keep it in mind for when I decide to go to Scotland.

There may not be at SM White, I'm sure I recall people saying SM have taken them with no issue at all, it's just that we see it so rarely daaaan saaaath that people don't recognize it and are therefore hesitant to take it as they wouldn't know a real one from a fake one.  Many companies (Not Showmasters, but I have heard of it at certain big fast food chains) take the money out of their employees wages if their tills don't balance at the end of their shift so it's not in their interest to take notes they are unsure of

Edited by Raylenth

SM do accept them. You may get the odd Crew members that haven't seen them and thus refuse because they genuinely don't make the Connection, but in General they are okay. A lot of attendees seem to be unfamiliar with them too because Crew asked me quite a number of times if I would take a Scottish note as Change because "many People don't like them" and they knew I was familiar with the General issue.

6 minutes ago, natedammit said:

May I offer a simple solution?

Scottish people should start using proper English money instead of trying to be difficult.

Ergo, NI folk can continue using our notes with no problem whatsoever. Ha.

47 minutes ago, LisaCarter2016 said:

we'll take anything up here, it's the dumbest thing, has it got the queen on it ... yes, does it say for example 10 pounds sterling ...yes ...then it's legal freaking tender 

Pretty sure I could make a piece of paper with a pic of the queen and 10 pounds sterling written in it that wouldn’t be deemed legal. But if you think it is I would be happy to swap all my £20 ones for all your £10s?! :P

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Wrong Name said:

Pretty sure I could make a piece of paper with a pic of the queen and 10 pounds sterling written in it that wouldn’t be deemed legal. But if you think it is I would be happy to swap all my £20 ones for all your £10s?! :P

hahaha you know what I mean, we take English notes ok well in my town they do, I've had no problems in Glasgow either  

• Like 1

It’s a common misconception by many of my fellow Scots but to clear this up Scottish notes are NOT legal tender in England. They are legal currency as they are UK Parliament approved but it is entirely up to the vendor if they accept them and they are under no legal obligation to do so. Most of England is OK but I have had issues in London on quite a few occasions but less and less recently. Boring details here https://www.scotbanks.org.uk/banknotes/legal-position.html

Showmasters definitely take them though. Can you imagine the hassle they’d have at Glasgow Film & Comic Con if they didn’t? ;)

As for these kilt meme’s I’m going to have mine on at LFCC but I don’t intend on any of that nonsense above, and no I’m not telling you what’s underneath it. Well not unless you ask nicely :D

20 minutes ago, Ravogd said:

but I don’t intend on any of that nonsense above

You are such a killjoy, Ravo! :angry::lol:

2 minutes ago, R4wly97 said:

What are the security arrangements like? Are there bag searches at the entrances and start of queues?

Cosplay arrangements have been confirmed but I don't think anything else has been. (I'm getting ready to be proven wrong there. lol) But I'd be expecting bag searches like last year, yeah. :smile:

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wjbleming said:

Cosplay arrangements have been confirmed but I don't think anything else has been. (I'm getting ready to be proven wrong there. lol) But I'd be expecting bag searches like last year, yeah. :smile:

Ok thanks is it just bag searches and security on the entrance or is there security inside in the Olympia? 

9 minutes ago, wjbleming said:

Only seems right, you can’t really be too safe!

18 minutes ago, R4wly97 said:

Ok thanks is it just bag searches and security on the entrance or is there security inside in the Olympia? 

Entrance. I guess there will be more info about do's and dont's when the FAQ are out here later this month.

• Thanks 1