sharpie smudges

vicky114

With all the game of thrones announcements recently I'm thinking of starting a big poster instead of 8x10s. But I tried something similar last summer with a star wars one but even now the sharpie hasn't dried properly and smudges.

I was wondering if anyone has started something similar wgere the signatures dont smudge and where that they got the poster from? As these things cost a small fortune I dont want the same problem happening again.

Thanks

Never had a problem getting posters or other multiple items signed.

Here's my GoT one, standard poster bought from an eBay movie poster seller. Official licensed print. Standard silver sharpie, just give it a few mins before rolling up and never a problem.

Photo%252011-05-2014%252021%252022%25203

And I thought my poster was good... *drooling* haha which of the main cast are on there?

Back to the original question... haha yeah I've never have an issue either I get multiple posters signed most guests are careful too!

And I thought my poster was good... *drooling* haha which of the main cast are on there?

Back to the original question... haha yeah I've never have an issue either I get multiple posters signed most guests are careful too!

Not too many of what you'd probably call "main cast" but do have Peter Dinklage, Lena Headey, Charles Dance, Jerome Flynn recently added, Jason Momoa, Mark Addy, Iain Glen, Alfie Allen, John Bradley, Gwendoline Christie, Kristian Nairn, Rose Leslie, Daniel Portman, Finn Jones, Ian McElhinney, Natalia Tena, James Cosmo,Ellie Kendrick, Gethin Anthony, Gemma Whelan, David Bradley and a few others. Becoming a bit full now.

• Like 1

Not too many of what you'd probably call "main cast" but do have Peter Dinklage, Lena Headey, Charles Dance, Jerome Flynn recently added, Jason Momoa, Mark Addy, Iain Glen, Alfie Allen, John Bradley, Gwendoline Christie, Kristian Nairn, Rose Leslie, Daniel Portman, Finn Jones, Ian McElhinney, Natalia Tena, James Cosmo,Ellie Kendrick, Gethin Anthony, Gemma Whelan, David Bradley and a few others. Becoming a bit full now.

There are so many on that list that I'd love to meet! Slighty jealous ;)

My star wars one must be strange then as it's still not dry and I git it done in the summer.

Can you maybe post a photo? We won't be able to make out the material from that most likely, but maybe someone has seen the poster before and has an idea what may be causing the issue.

I had a similar issue in the summer when I tried to get a GoT 12x8 print signed - the Silver sharpie just smudged right off even after letting it dry. I tried the next day with a different sharpie and it just wouldn't dry - I got the print off of Ebay so guess it was someone's idea to save money by using cheap paper or ink.

Ended up getting a great 3 part canvas piece that I have a couple of sigs on now and looking to expand. 99% of the time you'll be fine if it's an official poster or bought from a reputable shop, just be careful when buying off of ebay.

Its probably the material used as i have never had a problem with any sharpie inc my silver gold and bronze ones. Let it dry before putting away and it will be fine. Also some guests have been quite tentative in signing things with metallic pens but when i give them the green light to sign said items its all good. Which is nice.

yup, probably the material that Sharpie might have an issue sticking to for some reason

sometimes, overly glossy paper might has (and this is what we call it) a very low stick ratio, meaning it just.won't.dry! only ever had this problem... once but noticed it on-site and could just have a new siggy done for no extra charge (this was in 06, no SM/ME-)

Most of mine are either silver or gold and the only time I've had a problem with one was when I got a mounted cast picture signed and put it away too quickly and the wrapping touched the signature and took it off.

Other than that as the others have said it must be a problem with what your picture is printed on.

• Moderators

I've only had a problem once, and it was a dvd boxset I had signed that had a particularly shiny bit on it - most of the cast have signed on the non-shiny bit and they're fine, but I have one on the really shiny bit and in the end I've had to cover that one with sticky-back plastic to stop it just rubbing right off. The 2 autos I've had done on that same boxset since I have carefully made sure they don't sign the shiny bit!

Only poster I have silver ink on is my Doctor Who one which is semi-gloss but its perfectly fine not one smudge

My other posters all have black ink on and usually black ink is fine its just the others that can cause an issue or so I have been told lol

So yea its probably the material especially if it still hasn't dried since that event I think some posters are just not meant for writing on

Here's mine. It's a watercolour print on canvas style paper and I use a regular blue sharpie on it. Started it at LFCCW this year and picked up Julian Glover (Pycelle) and James Cosmo (Lord Commander Mormont) at a couple of smaller cons since. Next year is lining up to be a real poster-filler!

photo-25-11-2014-11-44-48.jpg

• Like 1