would you be prepared to pay these prices to meet these guests ?

showmasters

thank you for helping us with this poll it will make a difference   

458 members have voted

1. 1. please pick one of these only if you would pay this amount for a auto

• Jean-Claude Van Damme £45
    • Chris Pine £55
    • Ian Holm £45
  2. 2. same again

• Dolph Lundgren £45
    • Christopher Eccleston £35
    • Karl Urban £55
  3. 3. same and thank you for helping us know your thoughts

• Sean Bean £40
    • Zachary Quinto £75
    • Orlando Bloom £65

Well here's a turn up for the books! Sean Bean? He's been on my top 10 to meet list for the longest time and if you get him I can guarantee myself, my wife, my mate, his fiance and... my mother :blink:

It's her birthday on the 3rd and has decided she wants a photo with him for her gift!

It's only a possibilty that he could come to an event, so don't make that a promise ;)

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would definitely pay £45 to meet & get an auto from JCVD, he's been my hero for years and ive grown up watching his films, i also picked Sean Bean being a massive fan of his aswell, he's great in GoT ;) Dolph Lundgren got my 3rd pick just for the chance of a JCVD & Dolph double op :wub:

Edited by Zak-J

The only one I would pay for (at the indicated price) would be Orlando Bloom. I don't know well some of the others or I am not interested in them.

And even if I would love to meet Zachary Quinto, I would not be able to pay that amount for him. I would also like to meet Karl Urban but not for that amount.

Edited by ForEver

I've come to the decision that I would pay that for Ian Holm, Sean Bean and Orlando Bloom. If they appeared at an event in the UK, it would be too bigger an opportunity to turn down. Just take me awhile to save up so if they are coming, please announce them soon :)

Also would be willing to pay the prices for Christopher Lee and Stan Lee from the previous poll, so please bring them too!

I think with Quinto and Pine you are making an investment, they are after all, Kirk and Spock. In the next few years they are only going to become more famous and more unlikely to come to events. £75 might seem a lot now but it might not when they are both huge.

I've come to the decision that I would pay that for Ian Holm, Sean Bean and Orlando Bloom. If they appeared at an event in the UK, it would be too bigger an opportunity to turn down. Just take me awhile to save up so if they are coming, please announce them soon :)

Also would be willing to pay the prices for Christopher Lee and Stan Lee from the previous poll, so please bring them too!

Why wait? Start saving now. That way, if they are announced - no matter when - you will be able to afford it.

I would be willing to pay the price for any from the privious poll. Not so much from this poll - maybe Ian Holm, Sean Bean and Orlando Bloom - though I am not too sure about the last two.

You have to get JCVD and Dolph together!!!! Universal Soldier signed pic by both YES PLEASE!!! And a double photo shoot with tge 2 of them!!! Please make this a reality!!!!

But some of us might want to meet them for other things and wouldn't be interested in a double shoot. Can't always assume that everyone is interested in them for just that film.

I'd be perfectly happy with them on their own. Though I can appreciate it would be cool for fans of that particular film.

I am a big fan of both guys movies (both idols to me as I was growing up), and I would also want a photo op with both of them singular.... but as someone else mentioned, me calling for a double photo op (should both men attend) would not prevent single photo ops... I've seen it done on a few occasions, for example the Hellraiser photo op that was recently done at LFCC, it didn't prevent the likes of Clive Barker doin solo photo ops. So you are wrong in ASSUMING that I assume everyone wants them for Universal Soldier, that was just something as a fan of both men and them starring in one of the best action flicks of the 90's (again just MY opinion, I'm sure others would greatly disagree with me on it) together that I personally would like. :)

Why wait? Start saving now. That way, if they are announced - no matter when - you will be able to afford it.

I would be willing to pay the price for any from the privious poll. Not so much from this poll - maybe Ian Holm, Sean Bean and Orlando Bloom - though I am not too sure about the last two.

This is true, good point my friend.

I would love to meet JCVD, and probably would pay £45 as it'd definitely be a one-off opportunity and I'm a massive fan of his. Tempted to say the same for Dolph Lundgren, but JCVD would be my first choice.

As much as I like Christopher Eccleston, personally I wouldn't pay £35 for his autograph - a few years ago when he was playing the doctor I probably would have done but now, realistically, I think £25 would be the most I'd pay. Although perhaps if I hadn't been able to meet him at the stage door when he was doing theatre, my answer might be different.

Sean Bean would be an awesome guest, and I'd say £40 would be reasonable.

As for the others though - way to expensive for me... unjustifiably high prices for those actors, in my opinion...

I think with Quinto and Pine you are making an investment, they are after all, Kirk and Spock. In the next few years they are only going to become more famous and more unlikely to come to events. £75 might seem a lot now but it might not when they are both huge.

no,quinto and pine are NOT spock and kirk.

nimoy and shatner are spock and kirk.

end of story.

and for the same price of one quinto auto....i got BOTH of the original legends.i know what i would rather have.

no,quinto and pine are NOT spock and kirk.

nimoy and shatner are spock and kirk.

end of story.

and for the same price of one quinto auto....i got BOTH of the original legends.i know what i would rather have.

Well yes, if the arguement is that they will be more expensive in the future because they are playing big Star Trek characters, its a flawed one, because this is an industry that will support them for the next 40 years, no matter what their carrer brings them.

Getting them now would be the coup, but there's no reason to think they'd be even more in the future. Conventions might be their lifeblood one day.

The only one out of all of those I'd be more than happy to pay for is Sean Bean. But I had to choose options in the other two to vote for him. Although I've already got his autograph from stage door, so wouldn't want another autograph - I want a photoshoot! So take my vote to mean I wouldn't pay that for an autograph, but I'd happily ppay it for a photoshoot.

Sean Bean :(

...I'd also be happy to pay a lot for Ewan McGregor too as I'd love to have a photo with him.

also, doean't £65 for Orlando Bloom seem a bit steep? I haven't seen him in anything for years, as far as I'm concerned he's dissappeared really.

Edited by lizzy88

also, doean't �65 for Orlando Bloom seem a bit steep? I haven't seen him in anything for years, as far as I'm concerned he's dissappeared really.

Orlando's been signed up for The Hobbit, which is sure to increase his exposure, although I don't know if the price was set before or after that announcement.

HELL-TO-THE-NO!

These are extortionate! It's alright for auto dealers who can make their money back, but fans and collectors will be priced out. :pyth:

For example, if you like an actor mostly for 2 or 3 of their roles, you can barely afford to choose and buy one auto, let alone the arm and a leg it would cost to get all the characters you'd like!

also, doean't �65 for Orlando Bloom seem a bit steep? I haven't seen him in anything for years, as far as I'm concerned he's dissappeared really.

Orlando's been signed up for The Hobbit, which is sure to increase his exposure, although I don't know if the price was set before or after that announcement.

Plus he was a main player in Lord Of The Rings and Pirates Of The Caribbean,2 massive movie franchises...

Edited by snot182

Plus he was a main player in Lord Of The Rings and Pirates Of The Caribbean,2 massive movie franchises...

Yes, and besides, since when do we continue to be fans of actors because of what they've done lately. We follow actors' careers even if it's because we love something they did years ago!

If Viggo Mortensen never makes another film, for example, will I ever stop loving him for his Aragorn? No way!

Yes, and besides, since when do we continue to be fans of actors because of what they've done lately. We follow actors' careers even if it's because we love something they did years ago!

If Viggo Mortensen never makes another film, for example, will I ever stop loving him for his Aragorn? No way!

Totally agree. They dont always have to be "current" for me to want to meet them. Look at Veronica Cartwright at LFCC for example. I met her primarily because of Alien which was 32 years ago for goodness sake. I know she's been in all kinds of things before that and since, but that's the one for me.

I'd happily meet Orlando for LotR/PotC or Viggo for LotR never mind what else they've done.

Edited by Rockstar6662

also, doean't £65 for Orlando Bloom seem a bit steep? I haven't seen him in anything for years, as far as I'm concerned he's dissappeared really.

Totally agree. They dont always have to be "current" for me to want to meet them. Look at Veronica Cartwright at LFCC for example. I met her primarily because of Alien which was 32 years ago for goodness sake. I know she's been in all kinds of things before that and since, but that's the one for me.

I'd happily meet Orlando for LotR/PotC or Viggo for LotR never mind what else they've done.

Personally, were Orlando to make an appearance at an SM event, I'd be highly likely to meet him for LotR as well, high price or no. I agree that the guests don't have to be "current" for one to want to meet them (some of the actors I've met have been for roles played decades ago), but considering it's been a fair while since Orlando's been high profile, I think lizzy88 was justified in querying the price, given the information to hand when posting.

Take William Shatner. He's created an iconic role in Kirk as part of a franchise which is still immensely popular (and given the JJ Abrams Star Trek reboot, arguably as mainstream as something like LotR and PotC) AND he's still very active (including the not-so-long-ago cancelled Boston Legal and more recently, S*** My Dad Says), which is, yes, more TV than film, although given what some TV actors earn/charge for appearances, that's probably neither here nor there. Yet his price was an extremely reasonable £35.

We also have Karl Urban, who was also in LoTR and is in that aforementioned JJ Abrams reboot so very current right now, but his price is £55. (Er, I think, not having the poll in front of me at this precise juncture. Stupid senility.)

Given that Orlando's in The Hobbit, the price is more understandable (I've since realized the announcement was made in May, so that would probably would have been a factor), but without that information it might have seemed a bit cheeky to be charging that much given that he hasn't been in anything "big" recently.

Hope that makes sense!

ETA: sorry for the weird symbols - they were pound signs when I put them in!

Edited by CosmicAvatar

I would love to meet the people listed especially Jean Claude, Sean Bean, if you can get them fantastic and its great that SM is looking at these people. But the prices quoted are way out of my budget, especially when you can get those actors autographs from other sources, way cheaper. For me Money is very very tight and I think that others as well as myself think that anything over £30 is high, especially when I would want more than one auto from these guests.

Anyhow, I would be very happy just to see them in person, or have a photoshoot with them that would be great.....

Wishful thinking, but I hope that one day the event organisers, could dictate the appearance fees of guests and not the otherway round.....

I often think that maybe it might be better if some attendees didn't buy 5 autographs each of 19 different guests just because "they're there" and narrowed their focus to the things they really liked. Just as an example, in the 3 years since I have started attending these shows I have seen only 11 guests. Not because of fund constraints but because I only bother with stars I REALLY want to meet and every auto in my tiny collection is cherished all the more for it.

So you are saying anybody who doesn't do it your way can't possibly cherish all their autographs as much as you do your 11? I am sorry but that sounds like crap to me.

Each to their own. If you are happy just meeting one or two at each show, then that is fine, but to diminish those who do it the other way is not fine. Just because some may have other priorities or a wider interest of the guests they are meeting doesn't mean they cherish any of their autographs any less than you do your 11.

Not what I'm saying at all. Just saying that in my experience as a collector of many things for many years, less is quite often more, and quality always wins out over quantity. I have an extremely wide ambit of guests I would be interesting in getting signatures from but I try not to get OCD about it. Sometimes collecting anything and everything can, and does, dilute the enjoyment.

'Quality' when it comes to guests is of course an entirely subjective thing and whilst I personally find the love for Dolph Lundgren and JCVD (for example) a little perplexing I would never s*** on someone's collection if those were the 'jewels'. We all like what we like and we all like some things/people A LOT more than we like others.

Still, I would question anyone who claimed that their "3rd Stormtrooper on the left" autograph was as cherished as autos of major characters central to the films/shows they were in (which is pretty much what my tiny collection consists of).

I often think that maybe it might be better if some attendees didn't buy 5 autographs each of 19 different guests just because "they're there" and narrowed their focus to the things they really liked.

I'm a fan of Stargate and Spin Offs, Buffy, Angel, Firefly, CSI, House, Dexter, Torchwood, Doctor Who, Lord of the Rings.... (insert list as long as my arm here).

While I do not buy 5 autographs each I often see a dozen or more guests per show, I tend not to see guests I don't "like." If I'd go by your theory I should pass on meeting Orlando Bloom just because I like Sean Bean more, and that is not going to happen if the two ever show up at an event.

If someone is meeting guests "just because they're there" that someone obviously has a bigger budget than me. :D

For some things I am a completist - because I really like that show/movie - for others I am not.

I'm not saying being a completist is the way to go, but if you are a completist (like someone who for example is seeing all Star Wars guests) that really doesn't mean you are treasuring your autographs less than a collector who'd only see Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill and the other main actors from Star Wars.

I'm a fan of Bond, Star Wars, Star Trek, The X-Files, LOTR, CSI, Family Guy, The Simpsons, The Sopranos, Aliens (insert list as long as your arm!).

Just as an example... I love David Caruso (Horatio in CSI Miami) - he's like the new William Shatner with his truncated dialogue and scene stealing. But do I want his autograph? Hmmm.... nah, not really. It would be alright to have but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it. If you told me Pierce Brosnan was attending a show, I'd sell a kidney and wait outside from 2am to make sure I met him. I'm sure most have a broad spectrum of interests but not every actor has that wow factor for us.

Its like asking someone: "What's your favourite Bond film?" and they say "all of them." :pyth:

Well, I'm sure its possible they do like all of them but there have to be couple of favourites amongst the bunch. Same applies to guests.

I never said, if you want to see Sean Bean more than Bloom you shouldn't see Bloom. I would see Bean because he was one of my favourite Bond villains, because he played my favourite character in LOTR and because I think he is an all round great actor. I wouldn't see Bloom because I think he is a pretty mannequin who doesn't do anything for me in the acting dept. But if you think Bloom is worth the money, for whatever reason, don't let me stop you.

I agree that there is a nice sense of achievement that can come with completing a cast roster from a film/show, but if you don't like all the actors, then you merely cherish the concept of 'completeness'. If you were someone who did "want all the LOTR autos" but you actually think Bloom's terrible and you are only buying him because you have a sig from every other cast member from LOTR, is that really money well spent? If you wouldn't cherish Bloom on his own, why meet him at all? To simply flip past his pic in the album when you next peruse your collection?

I often think that maybe it might be better if some attendees didn't buy 5 autographs each of 19 different guests just because "they're there" and narrowed their focus to the things they really liked. Just as an example, in the 3 years since I have started attending these shows I have seen only 11 guests. Not because of fund constraints but because I only bother with stars I REALLY want to meet and every auto in my tiny collection is cherished all the more for it. So if the likes of Sigourney Weaver turned up and wanted £150, I wouldn't complain about these prices "setting a precedent" or "some people won't be able to afford it" I'd just ask if it was worth it to me and go from there.

But then you'd have the people who have an Alien poster signed by 4, and Aliens poster signed by 8 etc etc, there are some who could find 1/2 dozen items for her to sign that they desperately want - without even trying, some would happily pay it.

I can think of only two people I'd get more than one of costing between £30-£100. Higher than that it would just get silly, very quickly.

Don't forget if everyone only bothered with stars they REALLY want to meet, the events would be somewhat different. You might only have 10 guests instead of 30. While everyone has to wait in virtual queues for the big guests it gives you the ideal chance to go and get their cheaper co-stars. If they weren't profitable (and they cost a fraction of the fee, so into profit much quicker) they wouldn't be invited.

Headliners bring in the punters, smaller guests are there to help you spend extra cash.

If you've got 11 guests in 3 years, you've spent at most £300 on autos, maybe £100 a year. If everyone did that events would find it much harder to operate.

What would be wrong with an Alien poster signed by 4? Unless you are looking to sell the item you don't need all 7 of the cast. Surely having who you want on the poster is the most important thing?

Regarding big guests/cheaper co-stars I think you're making it too 'black and white'. I absolutely do not think every guest has to be a 'headliner'. I am as certain as you are that cheaper guests are indeed very profitable for Showmasters and there is no reason to decrease the amount of guests because a £15 guest may be just as important to a fan, if not more so, than the ones who want £30+ for their signature. A guests' 'quality' is not about price, but simply what they mean to the individual paying (whatever price) to meet them.

A headliner may bring in more punters but a one decent smaller £15 guest is enough to get me to attend a show if I really want to meet them - they're not simply extra fodder for me to "spend extra cash" on while killing time in a virtual queue. I think to simply categorise those guests as such discredits the value of them even turning up.

For my autograph spending, your estimate is a bit off: the actual figure is £400, or £515 in Showmasters' coffers when you throw in photoshoots as well. Not to shabby for only 11 guests - obviously I got several autos from some guests.

I wouldn't expect you or anyone else to be bowled over by my list of guests I have met, but each and everyone of them has great sentimental meaning to me. If they were all flat-signed (not personalised) there is not one I could sell or give away. Thats all I'm getting at when I say people may find it more enjoyable in the long run to be more discriminating in their purchases.

I'm well aware that I'm far from being Showmasters 'ideal' fan given how select I am with my discretionary spending, but I think there will also be a massive proportion of fans who do only go to see 1 or 2 guests because they either hold similar viewpoints to me or it comes down to how much money they have to spend, or more likely a bit of both. EIther way, Showmasters seem to be getting by quite well at the moment!

I know Showmasters keep track of how many signatures are sold throughout each event but I think it would be very interesting for other fans such as myself to see other people's buying habits in a poll asking people how many signatures they bought after each event.

Edited by Dent_1

I never said, if you want to see Sean Bean more than Bloom you shouldn't see Bloom.

Sorry, but this is how your post comes across to me and apparently some others too.

It comes across as "you should only see the guests you really like." I like Orlando, but I really like Sean. So per this idea I shouldn't go and see Orlando at all.

I agree that there is a nice sense of achievement that can come with completing a cast roster from a film/show, but if you don't like all the actors, then you merely cherish the concept of 'completeness'. If you were someone who did "want all the LOTR autos" but you actually think Bloom's terrible and you are only buying him because you have a sig from every other cast member from LOTR, is that really money well spent? If you wouldn't cherish Bloom on his own, why meet him at all? To simply flip past his pic in the album when you next peruse your collection?

It may not be your thing, but yes, there are some people who treasure their autos or autographed posters for the sake of completeness. Some friends of mine in the States have completely freaked over Star Wars guests that a huge chunk of the users on here have never even heard of.

And yeah, some of them spend a huge amount of money to get an autograph just to say an item is completely signed, even if they're not a big fan in that role. That part is not anything I would personally consider, but if they think it's money well spent, then be it that way.

Actually while I love CSI Miami David Caruso who you mentioned is probably the one CSI Miami guest I'd skip because I really dislike the Horatio character. :pyth:

Again if it's not your (or in that case) our thing, that is fine. No one is trying to say that one way or the other is the right way.

But your post did come across a little "people who don't concentrate on their absolute main ones are doing it wrong and are crazy doing it that way", and I think that's what caused the string of posts that followed.

If this isn't what you meant to say (and it does look that way) I apologize for misunderstanding.

There's so many different views on collecting, and I'm considering myself lucky if I understand half of them. I do even somewhat admire attendees who have many interests and still manage to limit their number of autographs a lot, probably because I never manage to do that myself. :D