would you be prepared to pay these prices to meet these guests ?

showmasters

thank you for helping us with this poll it will make a difference   

458 members have voted

1. 1. please pick one of these only if you would pay this amount for a auto

• Jean-Claude Van Damme £45
    • Chris Pine £55
    • Ian Holm £45
  2. 2. same again

• Dolph Lundgren £45
    • Christopher Eccleston £35
    • Karl Urban £55
  3. 3. same and thank you for helping us know your thoughts

• Sean Bean £40
    • Zachary Quinto £75
    • Orlando Bloom £65

I'd much rather be given the option to save up and meet some of these people than not at all.

I'd rather be given the option to pay £35 and meet them :thumbup:

id rather they pop over my place, sign everything and do photos for free and then head home...

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd much rather be given the option to save up and meet some of these people than not at all.

id rather they pop over my place, sign everything and do photos for free and then head home...

hmmm .... nope I'd prefer they didn't do that and signed for everyone for £35 (i'm selfless that way)

Well you all know my opinion of Zachary Quinto's price I think his people are asking too much but with that said I'm also not a fan (Although he would be nice for a 24 sig, I'm a fan of 24 but not Star Trek)

I'd like to read some peoples opinions who actually are fans of his and would like to meet him. Do you think that price is fair? and would you pay it? Do you think he is worth that price?

• Moderators

There's no guarantee that the price would go down if people refused though. It's not like these are stars that are relying on conventions for regular income is it? So a lot of them might just not be bothered at all, and then we don't get to meet them.

Jean-Claude Van Damme £45 - Yup - he's awesome !

Chris Pine £55 - DEFINITELY yes !!

Dolph Lundgren £45 - Yup - also awesome !!

Sean Bean £40 - Hmmmn - maybe !

Zachary Quinto £75 - Nah - too expensive for me!

Orlando Bloom £65 - A tad too expensive but would like to meet!

Well you all know my opinion of Zachary Quinto's price I think his people are asking too much but with that said I'm also not a fan (Although he would be nice for a 24 sig, I'm a fan of 24 but not Star Trek)

I'd like to read some peoples opinions who actually are fans of his and would like to meet him. Do you think that price is fair? and would you pay it? Do you think he is worth that price?

im a fan of his work, Heroes before Star Trek. If I hadnt got my Heroes box set signed already then I would have said yes to £75 without hesitation.

Now, I really would like a photo with to go with my collection so I would like to see him over to get that opportunity. Then I have got my Star Trek dvd signed by Simon Pegg so I would like to get it added to but... do I want to pay £75 for it...

Difficult one. I think I would if he was one of the only people at that particular show to draw my attention then I would for sure but if it was a further £75 on top of another £150 elsewhere... maybe not.

He is definitely more expensive than I expected, that did come as a surprise

These names arnt just picked at random, same as the prices.

SM have put out feelers for people, and some of them (probably the more likely ones) are the ones they have put up here.

And in asking them, they have asked how much (initially) these people would need to come.

And from that, they have worked out the lowest price they could charge us and still break even on their prices.

That price for Quinto? Lowest they could and still get his fee back. Lower SM go, the more people they get in during the day. But, there is a limit to how many. Karen Gillan slogged it out all day and got to about 1200 (or more, cant remember exactly) but they cant use something so high as a basis. They probably thought they could do 1000 max realisticly, and then from that worked out the lowest price to charge us to make back his appearence/hotel/flight fees.

This is it. Just because we all got up in arms and refused wont change the price he set for coming over.

Its why Roadhouse as an event fell through. Not because of SM/ME not doing it right, but because the guests they wanted to get were used to US cons and were charging way more than normal for less time than was needed of them.

The guests set a price to come over. SM have to make their auto prices work for them and for us in the best way possible.

Edited by BeatrixKiddo88

This is it. Just because we all got up in arms and refused wont change the price he set for coming over.

The guests set a price to come over. SM have to make their auto prices work for them and for us in the best way possible.

Yep, definitely agree with this. We as attendees need to say what we think about the price, but that's what the poll is for. You can say you feel the price is to high, but no need to argue about it. If enough people feel the same then surely it will be shown in the poll votes results and Quinto won't be announced. That is the purpose of the poll surely?

I'm not interested in any of those guests to start with, but if it were a guest that I did want to meet, I don't think I would spend more than £40. But I guess it would depend on how many guests I wanted to meet on the day. If there were a lot of guests I wanted to see, then I wouldn't spend more than £40, but if there were only one or two I was planning to see, then I might go up to £50. That would be my maximum though.

I have no interest in Karl urban but think he is charging far too much, most people have never heard of him, unless he's expecting judge dredd to be a box office smash hit which I doubt.

Karl was in Lord of the Rings and Star Trek - I am sure these two huge fandoms know his name ;)

*still hoping for Sean* ...

These names arnt just picked at random, same as the prices.

SM have put out feelers for people, and some of them (probably the more likely ones) are the ones they have put up here.

And in asking them, they have asked how much (initially) these people would need to come.

And from that, they have worked out the lowest price they could charge us and still break even on their prices.

That price for Quinto? Lowest they could and still get his fee back. Lower SM go, the more people they get in during the day. But, there is a limit to how many. Karen Gillan slogged it out all day and got to about 1200 (or more, cant remember exactly) but they cant use something so high as a basis. They probably thought they could do 1000 max realisticly, and then from that worked out the lowest price to charge us to make back his appearence/hotel/flight fees.

Its why Roadhouse as an event fell through. Not because of SM/ME not doing it right, but because the guests they wanted to get were used to US cons and were charging way more than normal for less time than was needed of them.

Dude, sorry if this sounds like I'm attacking you but unless you are on the SM management team I don't you should be making statements like the above.

How do you KNOW that if everyone here said that they would love to meet Bloom/Quinto but were only willing to pay £35 that they wouldn't come over?

You are just making assumptions here.......

If we as the customers do not say no to the price and seek a compromise of sorts then we are setting precedents for higher prices forever more.

Edited by Farqhuarbeedlebum

• Moderators

SM try to keep the prices down as much as they can, as evident by the majority of £15-25 prices we have across the board. So unless they HAVE to set these prices to have the guests here, they wouldn't.

I don't think anyone should be suggesting some mass boycott of higher guest prices. I think everyone should be given a choice whether to pay for them or not. If you don't want to then that's fine, but let others do it if they want.

How do you KNOW that if everyone here said that they would love to meet Bloom/Quinto but were only willing to pay £35 that they wouldn't come over?

Because Showmasters would be out of pocket.

Showmasters have to charge the £75 to cover the cost that the guest has charged them for the appearance.

Showmasters won't book a guest for a con who costs lets say £40,000 and then only charge £15 an autograph.

Say that guest only signs 1000 autographs in the day, the takings would be £15,000 thus meaning they booked the guest for 40k and only made 15k.

They'd be in a loss of 25k

Wheres as if they charged £40 an autograph and the guest signed 1000 autographs thats £40,000 meaning they have made the money back that the guest charged them to appear.

The previous poll conducted by SM resulted in Christopher Lambert getting the lowest number of votes of all the 6 suggested big guests. Yet which guest came to LFCC? On that basis, given the results of the current poll so far I am therefore very much looking forward to meeting Zachary Quinto :D

As I said, I would like to meet them all and would get an auto off all. The price for Zachary Quinto does seem a bit much. I was trying to work out how many I would need.... I have a trek poster, a print, 10 by 8 for the collection and 3 double shots from Heroes which have already been signed by others. I could never afford that. Probably just have to get the one.

Since everyone else is making assumptions about how things work in SM towers ..........

I'm going to assume booking a guest is a negotiation that could work like this...

SM: Hello Mr. Agent! How much would Mr. Guest charge to come over?

Agent: We will charge you £x.

SM: £x eh? Okay then we'll be back to you.

SM: If our calculations are correct we are going to have to charge our customers £75, gee that's a lot, lets see if they are willing to pay that much by using a poll

.......days pass......

SM: Looks like our lovely loyal customers would like to meet Mr. Guest but are not willing to pay £75.

SM: Sorry mister agent we cannot justify £x to get your client over .... how about £smaller x???

Agent: £smaller x eh? Let me chat to my client and we'll be back to you.....

.......days pass......

Agent: My client would like to meet his European fans and is willing to to do it for £smaller x.

SM: Hooray now we only have to charge £50

SM customers: That seems slightly more reasonable lets all go to EMS ...... hooray!!!!

• Moderators

That's a great assumption to make, but when there's plenty of other events all over the world they could do, as well as actual work, why would they need to lower their prices? No one's desperate for convention work in that list. I can honestly see it as a take it or leave it type deal.

That's a great assumption to make, but when there's plenty of other events all over the world they could do, as well as actual work, why would they need to lower their prices? No one's desperate for convention work in that list. I can honestly see it as a take it or leave it type deal.

Hey my assumption is just as valid as Beatrixkiddo and 80sactionfan yet you only seem to take issue with the one that's against the high prices...... hmm not exactly unbiased are we?

Maybe I should just tow the line too.......

Bring them all over as I am perfectly happy with those prices ..... in fact why not add on extra £5 to each.

Hey my assumption is just as valid as Beatrixkiddo and 80sactionfan yet you only seem to take issue with the one that's against the high prices...... hmm not exactly unbiased are we?

Maybe I should just tow the line too.......

Bring them all over as I am perfectly happy with those prices ..... in fact why not add on extra £5 to each.

I don't think it's a case of taking issue with the people that are against the high prices, I think it's more simply that it's a list SM have provided, we don't know what goes on with the negotiations so we have to deal with what we have provided. I'm sure if SM thought it was too high they would have tried to get it lower and if that's the best deal they can get then that's what has been given to us. They've then put it in a poll for us to vote on and the lower figure for Quinto suggests that people want it lower. No amount of us arguing will lower the price, just a simple comment saying I voted for Bean instead of Quinto because of the price is enough and SM will pick up on it if enough people do.

Christopher Ecclestone, JCVD, Dolph Lungdren, Orlando Bloom and Sean Bean please :P

Agreeeed!!! :D

ok gotta add this..... its official i think in the future im gonna end up spending a fortune at these shows!!!! :P lol

i blame YOUUU matt lol <3 :P x

Edited by zoejaynestarr