Question about Selfies and getting your photo taken with a guest at th

This is something I've never done at a convention go up to a guests autograph table and ask them if they would allow me to get a Selfie with them or get my photo taken with them at their autograph table so I am just curious as to whether showmasters will allow this? As I am thinking about asking for a Selfie and photo with Steven Yeun rather than paying for a photo op with him has anyone done this before? If so what are your experiences?

I have taken a couple of photos with the guests at the tables, but normally only the less busy ones. Some guests charge for a selfie, which is fair enough as people pay for the photo shoots. I would think Steven Yeun will be very busy as it's his first signing over here I think so I doubt you will be able to take posed photos at the table, but you never know.

Some big guests end up open queue by the end of the day so you might be able to, but would you want to chance it? That said, by the end of the day they might be tired and still not want to do selfies anyway.

• Like 2

Yes, this is very much something SM allows, but it does differ from guest to guest and as RobC has mentioned, is something that can even change throughout the day. If a guest is not allowing posed photos at the table or not allowing photos at all, then there will be signs up telling you. Most of the busiest guests will at least not allow posed photos, which I imagine will include Steven, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was no photos at all.

If is allowing them (as I say, I doubt it though) SM do have a policy that they don't believe in charging for selfies unlike at other events, so they would be free.

My experiences with selfies has been good. A lot of the time you can get the crew member that is with the guest to take it for you or someone else in the queue if they're nice enough (technically not making them selfies, but, whatever) and I've even met a few guests where they've taken my phone and taken the pic themselves!

• Like 1

Opportunities for selfies are better on Friday as it's generally the quieter day. As Rob and Wrong have said it's chance really but the bigger guests usually have a 'no photography' sign up on Saturday simply because even though it's only a few seconds it does add up and cumulatively it will mean fewer people being able to get auto's. I got a selfie from Mads on Saturday last year which would have been his busiest day but I got into his queue fairly early and there were not many others in the queue at that time. He wasn't going to be doing photo's on Saturday but he recognised me from Friday as I had an unusual request and he gestured to me to have another one with him so I wasn't going to say no.

Assume you won't get a selfie on Saturday I'd say and if you really want a picture you may have to think about getting a photo shoot one, as at least you know you will definitely get it.

Edited by Raylenth
  • Like 1

Scottie

Just to clarify it's normally OK to ask for an over the table photo once you have already paid for an autograph, unless signs are up stating they are not permitted.

I can't remember anyone allowing these if you haven't paid for anything.
  • Like 1

I'm fairly certain that Steven Yeun will not be doing selfies at the table, most of the biggest guests don't.

This. Normally it is not a problem if the line allows. But going from the reactions to Steven's announcement - even my own mother asked how much flights to London cost! - I would be extremely surprsed if he is doing at the table photos.

Last year Kim Coates had no selfies pics and he didn't care. He literally took the phone out of my hand and said "lets take a selfie". So it all depends on the guest. Joe Naufahu was literally standing in front of his table posing with people. Some had no pics allowed at all.

• Like 1

If is allowing them (as I say, I doubt it though) SM do have a policy that they don't believe in charging for selfies unlike at other events, so they would be free.

I remember one guest charging for selfies on the Friday for last year's LFCC, but he became No Posed Photos the next 2 days.

I remember the 2015 Collectormania had some guests charging for photos but one or two of them were for a smaller fee that would go to charity.

Personally, I don't agree with having to pay extra to have a photo taken on my own camera but don't mind paying about a fiver if it goes to charity.

I'd much rather pay more or the same for a photoshoot because a professional photographer and photography equipment are involved

I remember one guest charging for selfies on the Friday for last year's LFCC, but he became No Posed Photos the next 2 days.

I remember the 2015 Collectormania had some guests charging for photos but one or two of them were for a smaller fee that would go to charity.

Personally, I don't agree with having to pay extra to have a photo taken on my own camera but don't mind paying about a fiver if it goes to charity.

I'd much rather pay more or the same for a photoshoot because a professional photographer and photography equipment are involved

I imagine this was SM stepping i when they found out they were charging. I can't find it right now, but SM did write a post about it last year saying they don't agree with charging for them, and won't have it at their shows.

Edit: Found it http://showmastersonline.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=92339&hl=selfies

Edited by Wrong Name

Last year Kim Coates had no selfies pics and he didn't care. He literally took the phone out of my hand and said "lets take a selfie". So it all depends on the guest. Joe Naufahu was literally standing in front of his table posing with people. Some had no pics allowed at all.

Sometimes for one reason or another a sign is not taken down. Or the agent insists it goes up and the guest disagrees with that. :lol:

I imagine this was SM stepping i when they found out they were charging. I can't find it right now, but SM did write a post about it last year saying they don't agree with charging for them, and won't have it at their shows.

Yes, Jason did write a very lengthy post about that.

That's good to know. I haven't ever been charged for a table picture at any SM events. My only experience was elsewhere when we got an autography from a certain person and 2 seconds after we walked away my daughter popped back to ask for a selfie and he told her he charges for them, whereas his on screen (and previously off screen) dinosaur chasing other half was more than happy to have a selfie (and much happier to be there seemingly).

Got a great one with Julie Caitlin Brown (I'm a massive B5 fan), when she was signing. Great as a guest, terrifying as an Agent! :D

I have seen plenty of the guests ignore the no posed photos too, it is often an Agents decision and the guests don't agree. :D To be honest I don't mind waiting the extra time in the queue if you know it will be a good experience when you get there. (Like Robert Englund, long queues but such a great character it's worth the wait.)

• Like 1

Opportunities for selfies are better on Friday as it's generally the quieter day. As Rob and Wrong have said it's chance really but the bigger guests usually have a 'no photography' sign up on Saturday simply because even though it's only a few seconds it does add up and cumulatively it will mean fewer people being able to get auto's. I got a selfie from Mads on Saturday last year which would have been his busiest day but I got into his queue fairly early and there were not many others in the queue at that time. He wasn't going to be doing photo's on Saturday but he recognised me from Friday as I had an unusual request and he gestured to me to have another one with him so I wasn't going to say no.

Assume you won't get a selfie on Saturday I'd say and if you really want a picture you may have to think about getting a photo shoot one, as at least you know you will definitely get it.

Was that strange request Potato related?

I got a selfie with Mads on Sunday last year and Zach Galligan the year before. I always assume its down to the guest.

• Like 1

Was that strange request Potato related?

I got a selfie with Mads on Sunday last year and Zach Galligan the year before. I always assume its down to the guest.

I've seen a guest once ask because of a knee injury. Another time though I saw the agent tell crew to put the sign up because they thought the queue was too long and needed to move faster. It really varies.

I love a good photo with someone.

But pleeeeeease can we ban the word Selfie.... it makes vomit pool in my mouth.

Cameras have been around for over 100 years, people have taken photo of themselves for the majority if that time.

Lets band together and eradicate the word "Selfie".

Together we are strong ;-)

• Like 3

Will you permit everyone to get it out of their system first, Romero? :P

I just noticed one thing - the original posted said "going up to a table to ask for a selfie." The above posts are all valid if you actually buy an autograph. If you are planning on only asking for a photo that may be a whole different story.

And I do agree with the above post, when did a simple table photo actually become a selfie? :lol: More often that not a crew member will take it anyway.

• Like 1

Cameras have been around for over 100 years, people have taken photo of themselves for the majority if that time.

As it's with the taker and a celebrity shall we call it a celefie

• Like 2

I always look out at others in front of me in the queue to see if the guests are allowing photos at the table. If they are I will ask when it's my turn. I wouldn't ask otherwise as I would get embarrassed if they said no.

That's good to know. I haven't ever been charged for a table picture at any SM events. My only experience was elsewhere when we got an autography from a certain person and 2 seconds after we walked away my daughter popped back to ask for a selfie and he told her he charges for them, whereas his on screen (and previously off screen) dinosaur chasing other half was more than happy to have a selfie (and much happier to be there seemingly).

Thanks for the info.

Hope I can mention these (mods: feel free to delete/edit if needed; apologies in advance if so):

I do remember meeting a guest at Brighton Film Comic Con 2015 who posed for photos (even suggesting a pose for a second photo) yet charged for selfies at another event.

Also went to another event where a couple of guests charged for photos and their demeanor suggested this was enforced by the organisers.

Christopher Lloyd guest level: photos with them at the autograph table very unlikely. A photo of them signing: possible these will be allowed, but this may change throughout the day. Sometimes it is possible that photos up to a certain point in the queue will be allowed - that happened with David Hasselhoff if memory serves me correctly.