Guest Cancellations

I understand that Guests have right to cancel due to change in work commitments, but I really do feel for those who have specifically booked (and in many cases will be travelling a long way) to attend. I note some are saying they are not too concerned as are going to attend for the fun of the Con itself but when you are a big fan and have built up to finally seeing a fave actor it really is a blow.

I too am now dreading further last minute cancellations and praying my Guests are still attending ..... :(

• Like 1

Today's announcement was my fifth for this con. When you book in to see so many people, it leaves you open to more cancellations. It is still definitely a blow; luckily I have more guests to make up for it. All I can do is be pragmatic and hope that SM are able to book these guests again in future.

I do also feel for those who are coming to see one or two guests in particular, who then cancel last minute. It's never ideal, but I hope that for those where this is the case, they enjoy the con anyway.

It can be very disappointing. I think it is a good idea (someone mentioned on this forum, I think) to not book if you only want to see 1 person. Because if that person cancels you will be left with tickets and travelling arrangements which you can't refund.

• Like 1

It can be very disappointing. I think it is a good idea (someone mentioned on this forum, I think) to not book if you only want to see 1 person. Because if that person cancels you will be left with tickets and travelling arrangements which you can't refund.

Exactly and its why guests are a bonus to me. Actors are in those jobs that if something comes up that will benefit their career they will take it. We are at the point in the year that shows start to be filmed ready for TV in the autumn so it really is the chance one takes. Not that I was happy Noah cancelled and for whatever reason it was for I'll respect that. It's not their fault and neither is it Showmasters fault. If the guest aren't announced people will complain, if guests are announced and then cancel people will complain. There's no middle to it. Luck of the draw!

• Moderators

I certainly agree with being cautious re: booking for one particular guest, but the event itself can certainly still be an enjoyable time even if that one guest does cancel. Sometimes you just have to make the most of a bad situation.

Unfortunately convention organisers would never get guests if they had no-cancellation clauses in the contracts, so it will always be a part of it, especially with so many guests attending this event.

Showmasters do the best they can to work around schedules with the guests/agents etc, and bring them back whenever possible.

• Like 3

Was not long ago I panicked and bought a gold pass as I thought I would be rushing to get all my photo shoots done now six photo shoot cancellations later wondering if I may have wasted over £200 buying one.

Still looking forward to the con and I know it's the way these things go but still a bit upsetting when a guest who you booked months ago cancels this close to the show (dormer last year) but to lose out on six is even more sad.

Hope we get a last minte surprise guest to soften the blow.

Sadly this happens, and you just learn to go with it. I travel from Norway to attend events, and once attended an event where the two guests I wanted to meet the most both had to pull out. I still ended up having a good time with the remaining guests, though.

I'm now up to 4 guests that I planned to meet that have pulled out (but my list still have over 20 that are still attending)

Edited by misskitten
  • Like 1

yeah, I touched on this in another thread - this is why I think SM should really try to get an official reselling system in place

(so anyone who was attending just for cancelled guests can get a refund on their ticket and someone who does want to go can go in their place)

Its always depressing to find your unused con tickets in a cupboard and think "oh yes, that's the year I was hoping to meet Guest X"

A refund policy should only be used if the event is sold out

I think that is the only way for sm to allow it. If not you sell your back they lose £££ because they nay bothered sell it again if not sold out whereas a sold out show no matter who is attending will have people buy tickets just because it is sold out and it's the place to be.

• Like 1

Of course we are now getting to the stage a large number of tickets will sell before a single guest is announced .It's going to be more of a gamble.

It happens unfortunately sometimes, and I can imagine that maybe some actors are also tired sometimes of conventions, maybe this one is to close to that famous event that just has ended in San Diego, and maybe there are also sometimes cancelations because the actors ( which are also only people ) are tired .
And what would you do , accept a job and get money, or go to a convention?

When I received the email that Charles Dance had cancelled, I had to get up and make myself a cup of tea. I was so gutted.

But I'm really looking forward to seeing him in whatever he's working on in the near future. He just completely owns every scene he is in.

However, now every time my email notification goes off on my phone it makes me anxious. :P Worried I might lose another of my already very few guests.

• Like 2

When I received the email that Charles Dance had cancelled, I had to get up and make myself a cup of tea. I was so gutted.

That was terribly British of you!!! lol
The occasion called for nothing less.

However, it was Scottish Blend I'll have you know. :lol:

• Like 1

I have lost 3! Noah, Emily and Maya and I only had 6 to start off with! It's always hard, especially when it's the guests that you are specifically buying an entry ticket for and then they cancel.

It's also hard when certain guests are only attending on certain days, which maybe the day you are not attending.

After seeing the floor plan and the size of the place, I am a little relieved there have been some cancelled. Only going the Sunday and honestly am still worried about what I have now :unsure:

But I'm really looking forward to seeing him in whatever he's working on in the near future. He just completely owns every scene he is in.

However, now every time my email notification goes off on my phone it makes me anxious. :P Worried I might lose another of my already very few guests.

I'm with you on this and it's a nervous few days now...You work out your plans and manage your days and suddenly BAMM!The cancellations begin.... can't be helped but I've always found the weekends to be awesome all the same 😆

• Like 1

I'm with you on this and it's a nervous few days now...You work out your plans and manage your days and suddenly BAMM!The cancellations begin.... can't be helped but I've always found the weekends to be awesome all the same

Definitely a nervous time ahead. I'm hoping it'll still be a good few days though even with cancellations. I'm going by myself so I was trying to keep relatively busy without being rushed, just so I'm not left wandering around like a plum.

Now I've been left with a half day on Saturday so might be an early dart and a jog round Hyde Park for me.

I'm with you on this and it's a nervous few days now...You work out your plans and manage your days and suddenly BAMM!The cancellations begin.... can't be helped but I've always found the weekends to be awesome all the same

Definitely a nervous time ahead. I'm hoping it'll still be a good few days though even with cancellations. I'm going by myself so I was trying to keep relatively busy without being rushed, just so I'm not left wandering around like a plum.

Now I've been left with a half day on Saturday so might be an early dart and a jog round Hyde Park for me.

Can I have your ticket for the afternoon?? :P

I sometimes wonder, and I'm not saying this because I think it's the case or to be bitchy, if the guests just decide they can't be bothered when it gets closer to the event. I'm no expert but I'd assume it takes a lot of planning before a TV show begins filming. Surely they can't have a schedule change that results in filming commencing with 3 days notice. I don't know, it's just a thought that crossed my mind before.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Filming schedules can change like *that*. Say they planned to do a bunch of scenes on an outdoor set for a few days, and these scenes really needed it to be sunny, and then it poured with rain for a week. They have to switch to scenes that they can film indoors (that maybe they'd planned to film later) and postpone the outdoors ones. Or another actor gets sick or injured and needs all their scenes to be moved back a few days. Again they need to find scenes to film instead because time not filming is money down the drain for studios.

Depending on the part an actor has, they could go from having none of their scenes scheduled for several days to suddenly their scenes have been moved up and need to be done now!

• Like 3