Taking snaps at the tables..

Ok this isn't a question asking if its okay to take them at the table as i know the answer but more on how many of you folks take snaps of the guests at their tables, doesnt have to be WITH them, but maybe photos OF them talking to the person in front of you or a snap of them while they are signing your item ?

ive wanted to snap a couple of pics in the past while they sign for me but always feel daft so think ill have to change that this year!

I've only actually asked for one photo with a guest at a table (Conan Stevens at a con I can't mention) purely because the guy is a monster and I thought it would be a funny photo, and I was feeling too tight to fork out for a professional photo shoot.

As for photos of the person signing, I personally don't see the point. It's hardly an interesting photo worth showing someone, and butI guess people consider it proof that they came within 8 feet of met them, or proof that an autograph is genuine, in which case fair enough to them. For me, I have absolutely no desire or need to proof to anyone that my autograph is legit; I know I met them, I know the autograph is genuine - that is all that matters. My autographs for me are a personal keepsake for memories, not a piece to show off to others.

"Look, I can prove Charles Dance signed my Game of Thrones poster - here's a photo of the top of a head signing it."

• Like 2

I take pictures of them whilst signing my items.

Would feel very uncomfortable taking a picture of someone in front with the guest as in my opinion its encroaching on that private moment - their experience (thats if its a stranger to me) at Collectormania I took pics of my Friend with a guest so that I could send it to them for that nice little memento

• Like 2

I always take as many photos as possible - usually of my friend meeting a guest and then he takes them for me. can't personally afford professional photoshoots with all so make do with this very often.
In fact some of my favourite photos with guests are when conversation is in full flow rather than a pose next to them!

• Like 3

With the amount of people going I hope over the table photos will not be allowed.

I hope that they are allowed, but within reason. I am certain that they won't be happening with the busy people like MJF, Sigourney, Paxton, etc. but some of the smaller guests could easily accommodate them.

• Like 6

I like the table photos and always get them if I can. I think they can have better stories attached to them than the photo shoots.

Most guests are cool with it and some have said they prefer it as they get to have a little fun with it. ( I'm mentioning no names! ) :-)

• Like 5

With the amount of people going I hope over the table photos will not be allowed.

I hope over the table photos will be allowed - some of us don't like photoshoots and the (in my opinion) unneccesary expense where a table pic is a much more nicer keepsake than something (which is too formal).

Taking a pic at the table (without flash) takes less than a second but we are all different

• Like 7

Depends on the guest, queue and what they allow. If I collect autos for a friend, I might want to snap some photos from the queue, not because I need to prove the authenticity of the autograph, but because I think it will be nice for them to also get some photos from the event of the guests I collected from. Especially one friend really wants to see photos from the event (not just the guests, but I know she likes seeing them), so if I can snap photos, I will for her sake. If I can get a photo at the table with the guest I will more often go for it than not. I've gotten some nice over the table photos, the pose might be awkward, but the photo tends to be very genuine :)

I personally like table photos, yes the shoots are nice because you can have a proper one done with the lighting, posed etc, but the table photos either with the guest or as they sign etc are nice too because they become a freeze frame memory for me of the actual event, a particular time i was stood chatting as they signed something to me. plus as many have said the guests who are popular but are not crazy busy are always great and happy to have photos either of them smiling for you to take a snap or just a snapshot of them signing, its just adds to my photo album of that years show :)

• Like 1

I hope over the table photos will be allowed - some of us don't like photoshoots and the (in my opinion) unneccesary expense where a table pic is a much more nicer keepsake than something (which is too formal).

Taking a pic at the table (without flash) takes less than a second but we are all different

And holds up the queue.

Some consistency would be good with this - if I know I can have table photos, then I won't buy photoshoots.

And holds up the queue.

Some consistency would be good with this - if I know I can have table photos, then I won't buy photoshoots.

Other than 'no photos' nothing else can be totally guaranteed. A guest might be willing to do table photo's initially but have reason to change later. Not everyone is considerate enough to turn the flash off and if you've got that going off in your face a lot you are probably going to get a headache at some point. Also there is the physical toll it takes - at Sherlocked Louise Brealey was insistent on giving every attendee in her queue a hug but it left her in agony from the constant bending over.

If SM say all guests are allowing table photo's all day so people decide not to buy photo shoots, if the guest asks for this to be changed for the above reasons people may complain especially if the shoots are sold out. The best way to look at it is if you want a guaranteed picture get a photoshoot and then if you get one at the table, great, it's an extra memory. The shoots do add up cost wise but at least you know it's going to be a professional picture. Personally I'm a rubbish photographer, especially in situations where you need to be quick so rarely get a really good table picture.

If I'm in a queue and looking around at the various guests, I may snap photos of them from a slight distance. I don't like taking photos when there's someone in front of me, it makes me feel uncomfortable and as someone else said, like you're encroaching on their private moment with that guest. If it's someone I'm with getting something signed then I will take photos of them signing and likewise if I'm getting something signed, I will leave my friend to take the photos of that.

• Like 1

I have taken photo's of the guest whilst I've been queuing before as I lets me get the chance to get a decent close up. With talks unless you have a super professional camera I find I can't get good pics if I am more than a few rows back. I try to avoid photographing the attendees though and just get a picture of the guest between signings or if the attendee isn't right up close to the desk.

• Like 1

I've taken a few pics of a guest while I'm in the queue to meet them, maybe when I'm one or two people from the front. If other punters are asking the guest for an over-the-table pic and the guest is allowing it, I'll ask for one. If no one is asking or everyone is being turned down, I won't ask. I'm sure it becomes a repetitive mess saying "sorry, no posed photos".

I have 3 table photos, simply because their queues weren't busy and they were more than happy to do it, and I was getting an auto too.

I wouldn't not meet a guest if they weren't allowing pics at the table, a discussion I had with someone on a FB group.

And holds up the queue.

We have been through this how many times over the years? ;)

You've been told before, things can and will change over the day. Even Christopher Lloyd started doing table photos at his first LFACC appearance. It was stopped a couple of people in front of me because it just didn't work out - line was moving at snail's pace anyway...

You pay for the autograph, anything else is a bonus. Raylenth has already summed it up very nicely.

I tend not to take photos at the table, although I have asked in the past if I've been unable to get a photoshoot (e.g. sold out) and there isn't a No Posed Photos sign. Most of my autos are personalized, so that's proof enough for me that I've met them (as are my photoshoots).

Normally I am not included in said photo as I hate photos of me at the table, bar one or two exceptions (my professional shoots are much better), so most of the time the topic doesn't come up. A few times, however, the guest has actually said post-auto, "Do you want to take a photo?" If that happens, I usually tell them I'd ruin the shot if I'm in there but I'd love to take a pic of them, and so far, they've been quite happy for me to do that.

The shoots do add up cost wise but at least you know it's going to be a professional picture.

Can i just say though that when i've looked through the gallery - it may be a pro photographer but i wouldn't call them pro pictures as some of them the guy basically just takes your head next to the stars head cutting you both off at the shoulders! At best he takes them from chest up.... but in my opinion pictures that don't even show your waist look awful, a poor crop and framing by the photographer :(

Having said that, i have 2 of the normal photoshoots booked with MJF so i'll have to make do!! ;) Though if the guy crops that close my t shirt and all it's special writing wont even be in the photo! :(

Lea Thompson isn't doing photo shoots on the sunday, does that mean there's a chance she'll allow a photo at the table? Tho i'm going on my own so i'll either have to use my long arms or ask the person behind me (which i doubt they'll want to do..!)

Generally if the guest is allowing table photos and your alone, the crew member with them will take the PIC for you. Unless the guest is Milo ventimiglia who grabbed my camera and took a great PIC of us himself lol.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Generally if the guest is allowing table photos and your alone, the crew member with them will take the PIC for you. Unless the guest is Milo ventimiglia who grabbed my camera and took a great PIC of us himself lol.

Haha he did the same for me and said something like remember guys don't do selfies and proceeded to take effectively a selfie

Also the photographers are human and you can ask them not to do that but I find that most times they get a shot that looks best.

i didn't mean to sound such a meanie, i do appreciate the chance to have them :)

i just worry when i looked through pretty much all of last summers LFCC, and there's ones like this

http://showmasters.photoshelter.com/gallery/Dominic-Keating-gallery/G00005yOwBXEyedA/C0000534LRahESKg

and this

http://showmasters.photoshelter.com/gallery/George-Romero-gallery/G00004dWVs6r3jhE/C0000534LRahESKg

Though i guess as a 6 foot tall woman i will bend slightly next to MJF so i don't tower over him (!), so maybe my legs being on isn't a good idea hehe ;)

Sorry for sounding like i was moaning, i just want it all to go perfectly, and know i'll be too stressed on the day to speak up!

Edited by MartyMcFly85