Dedications on autographs - yes or no?

yea, when I got my autograph from Sylvester McCoy (as you see in the pic), he wanted to use a black pen but couldn't cos the picture was dark due to it being of the TARDIS in space. so he ended up using a silver sharpie.

I prefer dedications on such things like photos, books etc. To me it feels much more personal than a non-dedicated autograph, as it was signed for me. I rarely sell and I don't intend to pass on my collection to my children as I will encourage them to have their own. However, I have a Harry Potter poster on which I prefer just autographs without my name, just because it looks better that way and the first person to sign it, Tom Felton, didn't personalize and I want it to be consistent.

Edited by SammyRomie
  • Like 1

OK, so I think that you misunderstood my comment about the blue pen. I never said that blue sharpie equals a dealer. I said it's their trade mark, which means that this colour of pen is TYPICALLY used by people who intend to sell autographs. Not always. And they usually bring it to places where they don't have to pay for an autograph.

If this is directed at me then I didn't misunderstand your comment.

My comment was more in reply to the original poster who said 'If you see a fan bringing their own blue sharpie you know right away that it's to sell on.' I get that you ment it was a trademark of dealers but not everyone who brings a blue pen is a dealer.

If this is not directed at me well then just ignore it : )

OK, so I think that you misunderstood my comment about the blue pen. I never said that blue sharpie equals a dealer. I said it's their trade mark, which means that this colour of pen is TYPICALLY used by people who intend to sell autographs. Not always. And they usually bring it to places where they don't have to pay for an autograph.

If this is directed at me then I didn't misunderstand your comment.

My comment was more in reply to the original poster who said 'If you see a fan bringing their own blue sharpie you know right away that it's to sell on.' I get that you ment it was a trademark of dealers but not everyone who brings a blue pen is a dealer.

If this is not directed at me well then just ignore it : )

No, I snapped after mrsmikaelson's comment because I thought for some reason that she meant me :)

Hmm interesting. I usually take a blue and silver sharpie with me have 200 autos none personalised. I'm not a dealer just a fan, only been asked once if I was selling on, think that was Britt eckland but can't be sure. But once it was clear I was a fan ( she clocked the collection) it was fine

Although I have to admit I do always have an eye on the money which is why prefer flat sign got a bout 2-3k worth of autos so flat signed will at least help keep it's value

Never heard of the blue sharpie thing

Personally I prefer most of my autographs to be personalised..ive had it on several occasions where my decision to get an auto from someone has been of if they were personalising or not. Occasionally even, if someone was initially no personalisations but then started later on, then I may even go back just to get a personalised one.

Im always getting moaned at though by family and friends who dont 'get' signing shows and meeting people, for having my name on most of my autographs, and get the lecture about how am I going to make much money from them now, they arent worth as much with my name etc etc..I always have to tell them, I never have any intention on selling my autographs though, and they are for me, personally, as a momento of meeting that person, which is why I have very few from people ive not met (unless im not likely to get another chance at a genuine one)..

I do like the preference though, as I dont like getting multi signed items like cast shots personalised, due to spacing issues and such.

This is always one subject that makes me so mad as a genuine fan that never sells stuff. My thoughts are here: http://unconventionalblog.co.uk/no-personalisations-youre-not-a-real-fan/

I have (before now) decided not to post in this thread due to just how downright insulting and utterly ridiculous some of the posts/generalisations have been... BUT! I totally agree with this post (By Bunny) excellent post. #FACT

• Like 1

OK well never mind about the blue pen situation. Please feel free to ask around the internet or do research and you will read many stories of singers and actors refusing to sign with blue sharpie pens. I get everyone wants to pin the blame on me and make it sound like it's all hocus pocus but I didn't say it was going to be an issue, of course celebs at signing events will use blue pens. I'm talking about outside of events where fans are approaching them in their personal lives or waiting outside theater doors or arenas. It's just those pens are known trademarks of dealers and there's people like me who do know about these things and I guarantee the stars know about them and even though we are all polite enough to not say anything out loud, at the back of those celebrities minds and at the back of my mind if I see someone bring their own blue pen is that person has no intention whatsoever of keeping that item. It's the truth! I'm sure there is some naivety involved. Some fans really will just bring it because they like the colour blue but most aren't naive. They spend a fortune on trains and hotels, they're not just the fan on the sofa watching the TV shows, they're far more savvy than they let on. They know well and good what they're doing. And good on them i say because more fans attending means more events and more events mean bigger and better guests, it's the circle of life! Hakuna matata!

I've spent time looking at my signed stuff and I don't regret any of it, anything I have personalised is because I was asked my name. All the others were just signed.

Really blue pen makes me a dealer lol

I'm not and I had countless actors/ actresses sign for me in blue. It does depend on the back ground there signing on though

Daniel Craig signed for me at skyfall black on black argh !

Plenty of fans round me that got signed in blue

I think it's about a persons attitude. And the amount they are carrying to get signed

Patrick Stewart and holly hunter both signed in blue for me outside a theatre I was very polite and they were charm personified

• 3 weeks later...

As long as it's visible I don't mind what colour its signed in. I have a specially made wooden Red Dwarf panel that looks like the side of the ship. I got Craig Charles, Chris Barrie, Danny John Jules and Robert Llewellyn to sign it but none personalised it. A week later I met Hattie Heyridge and Norman Lovett. Hattie asked if I wanted it personalising as I "won't be able to sell it if she does". I told her I'm never going to sell it so feel free lol

I always ask for Signature only, purely becuase I get "show props" signed by multiple guests rather than photos and want to be able to fit as many as possible.

For example my Walking Dead Issue 01 comic has 10+ signatures on it.
Had they all been personalised I think the amount would be alot less.

There are some outrageous assumptions made by certain people in this thread. Using blue or not having a personalisation does not make you a dealer. I've seen plenty of examples from sigs obtained at premieres or from dealers at conventions that are signed in black, but blue is the trademark of a dealer?? Never seen that printed on the packs of blue sharpies readily available in supermarkets! (other colours are available.

I use blue (not sharpie unless I haven't brought the pens I use with me) as it looks better on the photo and I've also been told that blue is most stable and least likely to fade. I also don't get it personalised as I collect multi-signed images and posters and having them all to me would just look stupid! I have thousands of autos in my collection and have sold on items in the past that I have upgraded - does this make me a dealer or less of a fan?

Lastly, the reason that Karl Urban doesn't sign in blue is that he has been told its the easiest colour to 'lift' from an image to make duplicates on other items (similar to why Anthony Daniels will not sign index cards) - both complete nonsense but people will believe anything!

• Like 3

Generally I do prefer my pictures to be personalised - though if I was planning a poster/multi signed Item I would just get one person to dedicate it then everyone else to just sign. For one thing at past SM events it has become a running joke between myself and the friend I used to attend with because I would pretty much always be asked if there was an E at the end of my name, to the point I have become known to her as "Jo without an E". One time after about the fourth guest in the row asked I gave a quite exasperated "Nooooooo" and that one is signed "To Jo, NO E!!!" and is about my favourite picture I have.

My usual autograph collection place is Motorsports events, where obviously dedication just doesn't happen as a rule (the exception being one of my Absolute Heroes at the most recent event I went to, he offered so I jumped at the chance, apparently as I walked away I looked like Christmas had come early!) so I usually try to get a photograph I've taken signed instead. Oh and I use whatever colour sharpie comes to hand first for the most part (unless I have something I want signed in a particular colour - picture/cap/tee shirt).

I do like personalisations, I'm just a fan looking to meet and talk to the people I admire, I don't see them as an investment. Plus, my name is always a good conversation starter because it is so unusual, quite a few guests have commented on how 'beautiful' it is and asked where it's from. I have been to 2 cons so far so I might change my mind at some point I guess and get to the point where I do collect autographs as an investment rather than for personal pleasure.

The reality of course is that dealers often do use blue sharpies, but they also use black ones a fair bit as well and other colours as well on occasion.

However, what really matters is what is the perception of the star signing the photo is, because if they believe you are a dealer because you have a blue pen, then it doesn't actually matter what the reality of the situation is you are going to have a hard job convincing them otherwise.

I recall once waiting for Jeremy Irons outside the Theatre and he was very clear with everyone and said I will sign one item each and I will personalise it. I'd actually prefer it if all stars were similar to this (yes I guess it might be a pain if you want to get Jeremy on a cast shot for something), but it would certainly be a pain in the butt if you were a dealer and instead of getting 20 items signed at the stage door, you had to keep coming back night after night just for one and then had to keep removing the personalisation. I'm kind of guessing that wouldn't be worth their while, and so it would mainly be fans that would get the autos.

I do also think fans take liberties some times as well, I mean how many items do you really need signed from a celebrity ? O.k. fair enough you may like more than one film someone has been in, but I don't really understand why some fans get many multiples of items signed as well, particularly when it might mean other fans miss out for example. As always, I think it comes down to having a bit of respect for the celebrity and your fellow fans as well, that way we can all have a fair crack at getting something signed.

• Like 3

At the moment anyway, to me personalization isn't that important to me, I have a few personalized items though like my picture of my favourite Game Of Thrones character Tyrion that was of course personalized by the awesome Peter Dinklage :dance: and a lot of my voice actor pictures have been personalized too but I'm not really bothered by it all. For me its all about meeting the guest more than anything else

I'd never sell any of my autographs they are like the icing of my entire collection (if that makes much sense lol :whistling: )

The only way I'd understand people NOT getting stuff personalised is if they want loadsss of signatures on one item, that way it would look silly if it had loadsss of 'To Bob..' on..

I'd never even think of selling any autograph, there's just no point, I get all my stuff personalised, makes it special :)

• Like 3

Karl Urban refused to use a blue sharpie as he knew there were some counterfeit autographs out there. My spn poster is not personalised, but has about 28 autos on it. What makes it original as it has the actors writing jokey comments on it.

I think when stars are in public and they are approached by people holding prints and posters they know they are not true fans and will sign anyway. No genuine fan just happens to HAVE those things on them at the RIGHT moment lol.

• Like 1

I like having it dedicated and I have no intention of selling my autographs as it would be a bit like selling my memories... the best autographs that I have are ones where the guest has really personalised it for me, like Alex Zahara did at Chevron this year. I had a quick chat with him at the table and he put a comment on my autograph that referenced what we'd chatted about. That was really cool! :-)

I can understand why really busy guests don't personalise (I managed to catch David Hasselhoff's signing at LFCC last year before a lot of people had got there so I got to have a chat about Knight Rider with him but I saw his queue a few minutes later and I realised I was REALLY lucky!) and I still like those autographs but every collector has something that stands out for them.

I hadn't heard the blue pen thing... I have quite a few autographs signed in blue sharpie - but that was the guest's choice, not mine! I don't mind what colour it is, as long as you can see it ok. :-)

- G

• Like 1

I actually quite enjoyed this conversation.... To be fair, most Dealers I know would banish a normal sharpie in the bin rather than use it as they are horrible pens.

The rumour about Blue pens is well known out there and it is about lifting the signature off the paper for creating copies... Im pretty sure you could use any colour though, but never having done something like that I wouldn't really know.

As for dealers in general though, they make a living selling signed items... people buy them for a number of reasons, some including, not being economical to go to a show for 1 person, buying it is cheaper. Maybe they don't want the memory they just want to complete part of a collection, buying a signed item which isn't a photo like a prop or a mask or anything out of the ordinary which the person couldn't get but wanted.....

Maybe they are pushy at events such as premieres and gallery openings and other things but at a show they pay the same money as a collector so are entitled to the same respect whether they make you wait or not,

Live and let live folks and stop demonising people for making a little cash.

• Like 2