What's the most you'd spend on an autograph?

sagart

Whenever we're asked to suggest guest names for a show, there are always stars listend that seem unrealistic but I'm wondering how much of this is financial, ie SM not being able to meet their asking price.

Don't get me wrong, if a star is asking a ridiculous fee, I think SM should tell them 'Thanks, but no thanks' but say they could get someone really big but it meant us paying a lot more for an autograph, would you pay it? Who would be worth, say, £50, £80. £100. What if the number of autograph tickets was limited, say 400, so you'd be guaranteed a minute or two with the guest to say 'hi' and get a personalisation, what would you pay for that and who would you pay it for?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I paid £85 for Mark Hamill and I don't regret it at all. I'd definately have been more gutted if I'd ended up missing out on it. He was someone I was missing off a Star Wars poster so that made it worth it for me.

That said I'm not sure theres many others I'd go that high for, I read that Christopher Lee was going to charge something like £40-50 at a LFACC a few years back and for an 8x10 I think thats generally as high as I'd go.

I've always said I'd not pay a lot for an autograph, but when I think about what I've paid out to meet some of the stars I've met, it's come to a lot. For example, I went to the Edinburgh Film Festival to meet Elijah Wood a few years ago, and it cost me a hotel and flight...so probably £150 to £200, and it was worth it for me. And I've often paid for hotels in central London when going to stand outside premieres and awards etc, so it all adds up.

So I guess it depends on the guest. I'd pay £100 to meet Viggo Mortensen, but I'd expect more than just a signature for that, I'd want to be able to speak to him too.

These are would only be in person and have at least 2 minutes talk, personalisation and photo(not session):

David Boreanaz - £40

Sarah Michelle Gellar - £80

Hugh Jackman - £80

Halle Berry - £100

Eliza Dushku - £25

There loads more I could say but it'd go on for miles!

Well I paid £85 for Mark Hamill a few months ago and was at the same place as Count Fooku only I was greedy and got 3 of them (which is a total of £255).

I have also paid just over £100 for Buzz Aldrin and brought a Bobby Moore autograph that cost me a few hundred quid as well.

My view is if its something you really want (I mean the chances of Hamill doing another signing over here is pretty remote) then you will pay for it.

Have paid out in the past ;

£75 for a Jim Lovell (Apollo 13 Commander)

£40 for a Fred Haise (Apollo 13 Lunar Module Pilot)

£30 for Christopher Lee

Will be paying out £95+ for Buzz Aldrin at the next Autographica.

Think that the higher prices for the astronauts are worth it as they are part of our history & will always be remembered.

Edited by teroknor34

i think it depends on what is signed i think the most i have paid is slightly over £300 for liam neeson and just below for rick mccallum it depends on what is signed if it is some form of limited edition it'd probably be more look at the topps harrison ford auto card which goes for a few thousand £ and the evolution carrie fisher which is round about £1000 but to meet her it'd only cost you £25!!

• Moderators

It's tricky really - a lot of the time I feel bad enough having to pay £15-20 for an autograph unless it's someone I really love, and just HAVE to have in my collection. There are always so many I COULD meet, but very few in comparison that I actually end up getting.

It would depend on who it was, and my reasons behind wanting to meet them etc - whether it be to complete something, or them being a favourite actor/actress/whatever. I don't think I have a particular limit.

£25 i dont care who they are its only there writing at the end of te day.

For you it may only be their writing, and in that case there's no point going to one of these events, you may as well buy the autograph from ebay or mspg for example. The point of paying that kind of money is to be able to say you stood in front of that person, hopefully got to speak to them, let them know how much you appreciate their work etc etc. That's what's worth paying the money for, not the writing.

I have autographs from loads of incredibly famous people that I've met for nothing at various events like premieres and the BAFTAs, but I do nothing with the autographs themselves, I dont file them or anything, they're just lying around in boxes and envelopes. It's the meeting that's important for me.

£25 i dont care who they are its only there writing at the end of te day.

For you it may only be their writing, and in that case there's no point going to one of these events, you may as well buy the autograph from ebay or mspg for example. The point of paying that kind of money is to be able to say you stood in front of that person, hopefully got to speak to them, let them know how much you appreciate their work etc etc. That's what's worth paying the money for, not the writing.

I have autographs from loads of incredibly famous people that I've met for nothing at various events like premieres and the BAFTAs, but I do nothing with the autographs themselves, I dont file them or anything, they're just lying around in boxes and envelopes. It's the meeting that's important for me.

Thats ur opinion, i like to meet them as well but at the end of the day for writing i wouldnt pay lots of money, i love to meet ppl just as much as anyone else but at the end of the day they earn way more than i will ever do and funding them more is stupid when if i was super famous i wouldnt go charging rip off amounts to sign,

i also prefer getting pics with them this why the memory lasts longer as u have it in a photo.

Whenever we're asked to suggest guest names for a show, there are always stars listend that seem unrealistic but I'm wondering how much of this is financial, ie SM not being able to meet their asking price.

Don't get me wrong, if a star is asking a ridiculous fee, I think SM should tell them 'Thanks, but no thanks' but say they could get someone really big but it meant us paying a lot more for an autograph, would you pay it? Who would be worth, say, £50, £80. £100. What if the number of autograph tickets was limited, say 400, so you'd be guaranteed a minute or two with the guest to say 'hi' and get a personalisation, what would you pay for that and who would you pay it for?

I would pay £200-£250 for roger moore or sean connery but genral autos £50 is reasonable :thumbup:

What if the number of autograph tickets was limited, say 400, so you'd be guaranteed a minute or two with the guest to say 'hi' and get a personalisation, what would you pay for that and who would you pay it for?

That would be kinda nice if you were lucky enuff to be one of the 400 but imagine the stampede in the morning for the VTs: only 400 tickets available and 1000+ of fans wanting them. Probably a crew members worst nightmare.