• Cardiff
    • London
    • Manchester
    • Edinburgh
    • Bournemouth
    • Other - Please State

• Showmasters Admin

CMK :lol:

Seriously though it shouldn't be in a place like the N.E.C. or Earls court or any of the usual event locations. This is a Convention not a signing event so should be held in a hotel (with very large conference rooms) or a large conference centre.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately there is no big conference hotel in Birmingham, besides the Hilton, which is awful expensive and almost fully booked throughout the year.

London has more interesting hotels of this kind, we will see in the next weeks, coming over to check everything out.

What about coming down to the South West. We've got the Palace Hotel in Torquay which easily holds 1000 people in one of it's many conference suites and one of it's resturants will seat over 500 for a banquet. There are jazzy private suites, for the more discerning event attendee or a mulitude of cheap B&B's nearby for those on a budget.

The hotel even has it's own golf course!

There's easy transport to Torquay via Exeter or Plymouth Airports. And you get the famed seaside resort of Fawlty Towers to cap it all off!

Edited by madmonster

What about coming down to the South West. We've got the Palace Hotel in Torquay which easily holds 1000 people in one of it's many conference suites and one of it's resturants will seat over 500 for a banquet. There are jazzy private suites, for the more discerning event attendee or a mulitude of cheap B&B's nearby for those on a budget.

There's easy transport to Torquay via Exeter or Plymouth Airports. And you get the famed seaside resort of Fawlty Towers to cap it all off!

I've been to Torquay. Nice place, a friend of mine used to live there. Would be a good venue, and plus it's in the south-west. We have no con in this area yet.

i think its clear from the poll that most ppl don't consider london the best place?

even if prices have to be slightly higher, unless they're outright extortion people will still be willin to go. and hey, for those of us travelling - it can be nice to see another area of england! <_<

I think London...but Brighton would be great too...We had a World Con here...

Plus it's near to Gatwick, so the Stars can get here very easy too...

Edited by Mich

Unfortunately there is no big conference hotel in Birmingham, besides the Hilton, which is awful expensive and almost fully booked throughout the year.

London has more interesting hotels of this kind, we will see in the next weeks, coming over to check everything out.

There are a few hotels with theatre facilities for about 1000 just outside Birmingham, but I voted for other - namely Fulda :blink:

I don't think you'll ever find a hotel like the Esperanto considering it seems almost custom built for that type of event whereas there seems few hotels in the region that are that size. I do work for Intercontinental so if you need any information gathering just let me know :unsure:

I would love it to be in Manchester, but that's just me being selfish :YAHOO:

In fairness though, I chose Birmingham. It's more accessible to most people, and has the facilities, (I'm sure the ***** has conference facilities too, though correct me if I am wrong).

Personally, London is just too far and too expensive, (it costs me a fortune just to go to Mk).

At least with Birmingham I can get there and back in a day, London would mean a stop over and to be honest, would probably put me off going as I couldn't afford it.

EDIT: damn filter...well I think you all know where I mean...in Birmingham

Edited by Strider

well ideally i would wish for it to be held in wolverhampton, but that seems a little too much to ask *hint hint* *nudge nudge*

but otherwise i fell brum wil suffice,

as it is after all tolkies home town...plus its only a hope skip and a jump away from where i live :dance:^_^:D :D

I've been to Torquay. Nice place, a friend of mine used to live there. Would be a good venue, and plus it's in the south-west. We have no con in this area yet.

Yeah, I like the idea of a SW con! I'm from Exeter so anywhere around there would be good! :huh:

Other than that, Oxford and Birmingham are obvious Tolkieny choices!

Oxford for me too. I work there - we have the sites, the entries that Tolkien wrote for the Oxford English Dictionary for his characters, and yeah, the Eagle & Child for those literary peeps who want to see where the Inklings whiled away the hours.

Tolkien's Oxford can be found at http://users.ox.ac.uk/~tolksoc/TolkiensOxford/ (including the Trees!)

Although, to be fair, Oxford (despite being far nicer than Birmingham) is a nightmare to get to/park in and there are already way too many many tourists!!!

Have it in Brum for the sake of space! :wub:

bournemouth, it has cheap hotels and b n b,you got the beaches, lots of pubs the bic confrence complex by the sea, it easy to get to we have airports, trains and we havent had a sci fi cons down here just sport.

bournemouth, it has cheap hotels and b n b,you got the beaches, lots of pubs the bic confrence complex by the sea, it easy to get to we have airports, trains and we havent had a sci fi cons down here just sport.

I'm with you. We have plenty of accomodation available and large venues to hold events like this. If it's good enough for the flipping party conferences, it's good enough for this!