New Attendees advice thread

Raylenth

For me I note down for each day who I want to meet and their autograph costs (also noting if they’ll be also attending any other days), what photoshoots I plan to have and their costs, and any talks I like to go to. Then once the schedule’s up, I purchase any photoshoot tickets and Diamond Passes depending on the photoshoot times and my budget, and note down the times they’re being held.

I also note down other expenses (hotel, fuel, tube fare, ticket, food, spending money), what I’ve paid (entry ticket and 2 Diamond Passes so far), and any money I’ve “stashed” (mostly loose change and £5 notes saved up), and working out how much more money I’ll need (about halfway there at the mo).

One thing I’ve been wondering is about talks involving guests who have a No Photos sign.

I know non-flash photography is normally permitted at talks, but is that also the case if a guest has a No Photos sign a their desk, or would the host inform the audience that no photography is permitted?

I have a Diamond Pass for one guest who will have a talk and I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ll be No Photos and wonder if this will also apply at their talk.

20 minutes ago, Sebster118 said:

One thing I’ve been wondering is about talks involving guests who have a No Photos sign.

I know non-flash photography is normally permitted at talks, but is that also the case if a guest has a No Photos sign a their desk, or would the host inform the audience that no photography is permitted?

I have a Diamond Pass for one guest who will have a talk and I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ll be No Photos and wonder if this will also apply at their talk.

There's no distinction in the talks re photography for the 'no posed photo guests'.  The 2 rules of talks for any guest are no recording and no flash after the first 5 mins.  The no posed photos signs are to keep the auto queues moving and for the guests comfort in that session, so as long as flashes aren't on after the 5 minutes then theirs no affect on their comfort from additional photo's.

Edited by Raylenth

Hello! 

I read through most of this thread, and you've all done a great job of answering questions! I have few to ask myself, but the first is more of a clarification that I understand correctly. 

I've bought a couple Diamond Passes, but the one I'm concerned about is Christopher Eccleston. If I'm understanding correctly, they'll call all the DP's before they turn to the VQ, since he's a Sunday only guest, correct? From what I've gathered, it will be possible to purchase additional autographs (up to 5?) for him whenever I join the line. I intend to purchase two additional autographs. Is that possible, or should I additionally get a VQ ticket?

My other question (still pertaining to Chris's line) is that I have two personal items that I want to get autographed--a small journal, and a very large (it's my height) poster, with my third autograph being one of the available headshots from the table. All of the items are for me personally, and while I'm fine with holding them all, I imagine it would be a lot quicker if a friend of mine who is also attending the convention could come with me to hold the second personal item, as it would be VERY difficult for me to unroll my poster and keep it from getting folded badly while also juggling a journal and photograph. Is it possible for my friend to wait with me in line? She would not be making any purchases.  

Thank you in advance! <3 

Just now, steponmeshoeman said:

Hello! 

I read through most of this thread, and you've all done a great job of answering questions! I have few to ask myself, but the first is more of a clarification that I understand correctly. 

I've bought a couple Diamond Passes, but the one I'm concerned about is Christopher Eccleston. If I'm understanding correctly, they'll call all the DP's before they turn to the VQ, since he's a Sunday only guest, correct? From what I've gathered, it will be possible to purchase additional autographs (up to 5?) for him whenever I join the line. I intend to purchase two additional autographs. Is that possible, or should I additionally get a VQ ticket?

My other question (still pertaining to Chris's line) is that I have two personal items that I want to get autographed--a small journal, and a very large (it's my height) poster, with my third autograph being one of the available headshots from the table. All of the items are for me personally, and while I'm fine with holding them all, I imagine it would be a lot quicker if a friend of mine who is also attending the convention could come with me to hold the second personal item, as it would be VERY difficult for me to unroll my poster and keep it from getting folded badly while also juggling a journal and photograph. Is it possible for my friend to wait with me in line? She would not be making any purchases.  

Thank you in advance! <3 

You are correct. Diamond Passes first, with additional Autographs. You do not Need a VQ ticket to cover your Autographs.

No, it is not possible for your friend to come with you in the line - not unless either your friend buys a Diamond Pass or you wait until VQ tickets are called. Crew members will be happy to assist you with your poster. Posters are regularly being signed at the Shows, they know how to handle them.

2 minutes ago, Queen_Sindel said:

You are correct. Diamond Passes first, with additional Autographs. You do not Need a VQ ticket to cover your Autographs.

No, it is not possible for your friend to come with you in the line - not unless either your friend buys a Diamond Pass or you wait until VQ tickets are called. Crew members will be happy to assist you with your poster. Posters are regularly being signed at the Shows, they know how to handle them.

Got it! Thank you for the quick response!

It's more getting it out of it's tube/sleeve and handing it to them while juggling my other items that I'm concerned about (I've had it for nearly ten years and it has dozens of Doctor Who related autographs on it, it's /very/ well protected during travel). 

One other question. Is it possible to look at what batch photos were in after purchasing them? I purchased mine months ago, but didn't know about/understand the batch system at the time, and am curious to see where I am to plan accordingly. I couldn't find anything on the Eventbrite site. 

1 minute ago, steponmeshoeman said:

It's more getting it out of it's tube/sleeve and handing it to them while juggling my other items that I'm concerned about (I've had it for nearly ten years and it has dozens of Doctor Who related autographs on it, it's /very/ well protected during travel). 

One other question. Is it possible to look at what batch photos were in after purchasing them? I purchased mine months ago, but didn't know about/understand the batch system at the time, and am curious to see where I am to plan accordingly. I couldn't find anything on the Eventbrite site. 

For Diamond pass as, you find that out when you collect your Pass. It'll have your DP number on it and that's your order.

For non-DP photoshoots, your batch number is in the bottom left hand corner, so it is. :smile:

1 minute ago, wjbleming said:

For Diamond pass as, you find that out when you collect your Pass. It'll have your DP number on it and that's your order.

For non-DP photoshoots, your batch number is in the bottom left hand corner, so it is. :smile:

Brilliant! I am clearly blind. Thank you! 

1 hour ago, steponmeshoeman said:

You could put the other items on the desk while you are getting the poster out of the tube. Just remember to pick them up before you go!

As Queen said they are used to handling posters.  It can be awkward to juggle everything in the queue but as someone who gets posters signed I find that if you do keep them in a tube then they pretty much stay curled up on their own.  So, take it out of the tube in the queue, recap the tube and carry it how you normally would/give to your friend outside of the line to hold and the poster will keep itself nicely rolled and can just be rested with one edge on the floor, picking up carefully and reputting was you move forward.  It works and as only one edge is touching the floor it doesn't get damaged.

30 minutes ago, whitewillow said:

You could put the other items on the desk while you are getting the poster out of the tube. Just remember to pick them up before you go!

Yeah, I was more worried about taking up too much time at the table than anything, since I'm sure he'll be busy. But thank you! ^_^

24 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

As Queen said they are used to handling posters.  It can be awkward to juggle everything in the queue but as someone who gets posters signed I find that if you do keep them in a tube then they pretty much stay curled up on their own.  So, take it out of the tube in the queue, recap the tube and carry it how you normally would/give to your friend outside of the line to hold and the poster will keep itself nicely rolled and can just be rested with one edge on the floor, picking up carefully and reputting was you move forward.  It works and as only one edge is touching the floor it doesn't get damaged.

Thankfully it's only long length wise, and width wise it's small enough so that it wouldn't nearly go to the floor or anything like that. As I mentioned before, it's fairly old, and has been rolled and unrolled a couple hundred times over the years, so it's very fragile. I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable having it out of the tube for more than a couple minutes at a time when I've got the rest of the stuff in my hands, (I'm kind of clumsy, as well, and would probably end up squeezing it or something similar) so for me it'll come down to taking it out when there's only one or two people in front of me left in line. Holding the tube and then tucking the sleeve somewhere and unrolling the poster is hard enough on it's own due to the size, but that and the journal and print just seems like way too much for two hands to be doing all at once. 

I really appreciate the suggestions, though! I'll figure it out. As I mentioned above,  it's more me wanting to not take up too much time in backing up anyone in line as a main concern. If I have to take it slow/set things down to manage, oh well. :D

10 minutes ago, steponmeshoeman said:

Yeah, I was more worried about taking up too much time at the table than anything, since I'm sure he'll be busy. But thank you! ^_^

Thankfully it's only long length wise, and width wise it's small enough so that it wouldn't nearly go to the floor or anything like that. As I mentioned before, it's fairly old, and has been rolled and unrolled a couple hundred times over the years, so it's very fragile. I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable having it out of the tube for more than a couple minutes at a time when I've got the rest of the stuff in my hands, (I'm kind of clumsy, as well, and would probably end up squeezing it or something similar) so for me it'll come down to taking it out when there's only one or two people in front of me left in line. Holding the tube and then tucking the sleeve somewhere and unrolling the poster is hard enough on it's own due to the size, but that and the journal and print just seems like way too much for two hands to be doing all at once. 

I really appreciate the suggestions, though! I'll figure it out. As I mentioned above,  it's more me wanting to not take up too much time in backing up anyone in line as a main concern. If I have to take it slow/set things down to manage, oh well. :D

You will manage it but I will caution that you might be asked to vacate the table quickly after you have been done.  It only takes a minute to put your stuff away but they may not want people taking up space putting their stuff away/hanging around so be prepared to be asked to leave straight away and have to put your stuff away outside of the queue area.

On 18/06/2018 at 8:22 AM, Queen_Sindel said:

Last year my brother and I had diamond passes for Benedict Cumberbatch and both our wives were able to queue with us whilst waiting for autograph

Just go to the queue and they might be fine with your friend standing with you 

20 minutes ago, Paul19802017 said:

Last year my brother and I had diamond passes for Benedict Cumberbatch and both our wives were able to queue with us whilst waiting for autograph

Just go to the queue and they might be fine with your friend standing with you 

They shouldn't have been allowed to Paul.  The queues for guests like that are too busy to allow people to take up others with them.

8 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

They shouldn't have been allowed to Paul.  The queues for guests like that are too busy to allow people to take up others with them.

That’s what we thought at the time due to how many people there were there  but they were letting in everyone the diamond passes had with with them 

19 minutes ago, Paul19802017 said:

That’s what we thought at the time due to how many people there were there  but they were letting in everyone the diamond passes had with with them 

Naughty crew.

1 hour ago, wjbleming said:

Admit it, you got roped into doing crew last year, didn't you? And coincidentally on Comberspud as well, didn't you? ;)

If I were crewing Cumberqueue no one would be allowed through.  I'd be like 'no, the queue's huge in there, we can't let anyone else in at the moment'

• Haha 4

It's my first time going to this type of event and my first time ever going to a comic con so I'm a bit unsure and worried about a few things as I'm wanting to meet around 10+ people for autographs of the Star Wars Guests as I'm still very new to collecting autographs (People I want to meet: Ray Park. Jimmy Vee. Daniel Naprous. Michael Culver. Jeremy Bulloch. Mike Quinn. Richard Glover. Peter Mayhew. Penny McCarthy. Rodney Tosh & Ken Colley + maybe a few more)

I'm going on Saturday & Sunday. Do you think it's possible to meet all these people if I'm going all day or are the queues usually really long and it's maybe not possible to go to all their queues? Do they have a timescale for when they write out signatures? Would be it safe to arrive early to guarantee a spot? I'm traveling from Scotland, Aberdeen so I'm really looking forward to it! Sorry if this has already been asked, any reply would be appreciated! :)

2 minutes ago, DanielNvL said:

It's my first time going to this type of event and my first time ever going to a comic con so I'm a bit unsure and worried about a few things as I'm wanting to meet around 10+ people for autographs of the Star Wars Guests as I'm still very new to collecting autographs (People I want to meet: Ray Park. Jimmy Vee. Daniel Naprous. Michael Culver. Jeremy Bulloch. Mike Quinn. Richard Glover. Peter Mayhew. Penny McCarthy. Rodney Tosh & Ken Colley + maybe a few more)

I'm going on Saturday & Sunday. Do you think it's possible to meet all these people if I'm going all day or are the queues usually really long and it's maybe not possible to go to all their queues? Do they have a timescale for when they write out signatures? Would be it safe to arrive early to guarantee a spot? I'm traveling from Scotland, Aberdeen so I'm really looking forward to it! Sorry if this has already been asked, any reply would be appreciated! :)

I think you'll manage to meet all the guest you want if you'll be there on both Saturday and Sunday. It's advisable to get there earlier just to be more in the front of the queue - that way you will be ahead of other people and be able to get some VQ tickets faster if people you are interested in will be uder the virtual queue system. Guests are usually signing in their free time between photoshoots, panels and breaks (for lunch etc.). So it's better to just look out for them at their tables.

I think that for most guests you named queues won't be long and maybe only the few "bigger" ones will gave the VQ going on. But, as I said, worth queuing early - especially for one-day only guests.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fanowaty said:

I think you'll manage to meet all the guest you want if you'll be there on both Saturday and Sunday. It's advisable to get there earlier just to be more in the front of the queue - that way you will be ahead of other people and be able to get some VQ tickets faster if people you are interested in will be uder the virtual queue system. Guests are usually signing in their free time between photoshoots, panels and breaks (for lunch etc.). So it's better to just look out for them at their tables.

I think that for most guests you named queues won't be long and maybe only the few "bigger" ones will gave the VQ going on. But, as I said, worth queuing early - especially for one-day only guests.

Thanks a lot for the reply It's appreciated! it's given me more confidence for when I get there! :) Are the VQ tickets quite easy to purchase when you're there or are they normally big queues? Thanks again :)

4 minutes ago, DanielNvL said:

Thanks a lot for the reply It's appreciated! it's given me more confidence for when I get there! :) Are the VQ tickets quite easy to purchase when you're there or are they normally big queues? Thanks again :)

By experience, I have collected some quick autos last few hours of the day..usually abit easier then. Saturday is the most busy, followed by Sunday and Friday. But I suggest you try to list those who are most important to you. Go for them first, keep an eye on queues and take the chance when you see a gap. I think you will manage to get them. ^_^

Edited by Chris1970
  • Like 1