caring for your autographs

At the event I have a small rigid plastic case that I pop all my photos and signed 8x10's in. When I get home they go in Ultra Pro pages in a folder. I wouldn't use plastic wallets at the show as they can still bend. Ideally you really need something fairly rigid.

There are many stalls selling plastic autograph holders for a £1 each

Are they the semi rigid ones that only open a the top? If so I'd suggest you really make sure the sig is dry before putting them in as they are quite narrow and don't have a lot of space in to let stuff dry.

My question is about caring for autographs in the long term, once you've got them home. Mine are going on posters that I'm bringing to the con and I plan on having them framed to hang up at home. They'll look great, but is there anything I should do to them before framing to keep the autograph fresh? Or any particular kind of plastic cover I need to watch for etc?

Thanks to anyone that can help!

My question is about caring for autographs in the long term, once you've got them home. Mine are going on posters that I'm bringing to the con and I plan on having them framed to hang up at home. They'll look great, but is there anything I should do to them before framing to keep the autograph fresh? Or any particular kind of plastic cover I need to watch for etc?

My advice when it comes to framing signed posters is to have them Mounted that way the poster/auto's don't touch the glass nothing worse than finding out the poster has got stuck to the glass.

Bit more expensive but well worth it.

They look better too (when mounted)

What do you guys usually do when you get your signed photos to keep them from creasing etc., do you use plastic wallets or something. Will a4 size fit them all?

Three things :

Polyester pockets (an absolute MUST)

Storage binder (archival only)

Store the folder in a dark place

If you wish to frame, use museum quality materials - this will help to stop inks fading.

• Like 1

My advice when it comes to framing signed posters is to have them Mounted that way the poster/auto's don't touch the glass nothing worse than finding out the poster has got stuck to the glass.

Although my local framers does a encapsulating service bit like laminating the poster good idea how ever its permanent ! And there for you can't get to the poster to add Auto's on a later date if you wish to do so.

Thank you for your advice! I have 2 "gallery and framing" places in my town both of whom deal with old style artwork and paintings. They should be able to mount the posters for me though I'd imagine.

As this may have to wait a week or so for next pay day, is storing them in their poster tube until then advisable?

Also, sorry to ask what is probably a daft question, but what's the difference looks wise when mounted?

Thanks again.

There are many stalls selling plastic autograph holders for a £1 each

Are they the semi rigid ones that only open a the top? If so I'd suggest you really make sure the sig is dry before putting them in as they are quite narrow and don't have a lot of space in to let stuff dry.

If they are the hard plastic ones you are talking about I strongly advise not using them. After time the photos stick to the plastic and can make the ink from of the autographs come off the photo. Franks Autographs are the best option for preserving your autographs.

I've just been onto Rymans Stationary and ordered an A4 plastic Tuff Box. It's very lightweight and I use them for putting my photos/autographs in during the comicon... It was only £3.99 for the slim version or £4.99 for the "deep" one..

Edited by amandajane7775

I've just been onto Rymans Stationary and ordered an A4 plastic Tuff Box. It's very lightweight and I use them for putting my photos/autographs in during the comicon... It was only £3.99 for the slim version or £4.99 for the "deep" one..

You need POLYESTER pockets (this is one of the few materials that will suffice - take it from someone who knows). You need a folder which is suitable for archival purposes, too. Otherwise, you risk damage to your autographs.

I have an inch thick plastic box that I put all autos and pics in on the day, but quickly move them into polyester pockets and archival folders (as collectorbob suggests). I buy my stuff from Frank's as well, can't recommend them enough.

• Like 2

Although my local framers does a encapsulating service bit like laminating the poster good idea how ever its permanent ! And there for you can't get to the poster to add Auto's on a later date if you wish to do so.

Thank you for your advice! I have 2 "gallery and framing" places in my town both of whom deal with old style artwork and paintings. They should be able to mount the posters for me though I'd imagine.

As this may have to wait a week or so for next pay day, is storing them in their poster tube until then advisable?

Also, sorry to ask what is probably a daft question, but what's the difference looks wise when mounted?

Thanks again.

Mounted simply means a piece of thickish angle edged card around the edge of the picture between it and the frame. It can make it a bit more expensive as you need a larger frame to take into consideration the additional size of the mount but it's worth it. As well as keeping the picture off the glass it looks much nicer. I recently got some of my multi signed stuff properly framed as it's worth it to protect them. I got 4 items framed and it did cost nearly £200 but it's worth it so they look good and are protected. One of them was very large which was why it cost so much.

d5225c3a-7522-4270-8cbd-ef6820daa052.jpg This one is a box frame so a little bit deeper, it's a metal Displate.

4e009e17-ca55-44e3-8b04-074f64d01d34.jpg This one is the film poster so is huge.

Edited by Raylenth

good tips, I'm not a hardcore autograph collector like you guys, I usually use rigid A4 folder with plastic holder for each autograph. This time I'm bringing posters with me, glad that there will be some good art protection booth at the show.

Thanks again.

Mounted simply means a piece of thickish angle edged card around the edge of the picture between it and the frame. It can make it a bit more expensive as you need a larger frame to take into consideration the additional size of the mount but it's worth it. As well as keeping the picture off the glass it looks much nicer. I recently got some of my multi signed stuff properly framed as it's worth it to protect them. I got 4 items framed and it did cost nearly £200 but it's worth it so they look good and are protected. One of them was very large which was why it cost so much.

d5225c3a-7522-4270-8cbd-ef6820daa052.jpg This one is a box frame so a little bit deeper, it's a metal Displate.

4e009e17-ca55-44e3-8b04-074f64d01d34.jpg This one is the film poster so is huge.

Ah, they do look great! Very nice. I'll definitely have this done for both aesthetic purposes and to protect the autograph.

Thank you for the help!

People might disagree with me but I store my autos in a plastic folder at the show and then I have an A4 photo album to store them in long term. I've had my autos for years and they haven't faded. Make sure that the plastic slips in the photo album aren't sticky on the auto side otherwise the ink will come off

Basically, for long term preservation of autographs, follow this guide for A4 photos:

1. Put each autograph in polyester pockets

2. Put the autographs in an archival folder

3. Put the folder in a dark area, but DO NOT stack the folders on top of each other.

If you wish to display your autographs, make sure you do so using museum grade materials, or you risk damaging your autographs.

Franks Autographs, I think its called, has everything you need and the polyester has done wonders for my autographs. Look good even to this day after 3 years of buying some.

• Like 2