What is your budget?

I have to say I drew up on a spreadsheet of list of everyone that I wanted to meet for either a photograph or autograph (or both). When totalled it came to £1,495. I then went through and edited down who I could live without meeting (sorry Star Wars minor character actors) which brought it down to a more realistic figure. Several of the Who stars I met at Panopticon 93 so they’re instantly off but couldn’t do them until I went through my autograph book in front of the spreadsheet.

I however haven't given myself an actual budget though as I’ve not done any conventions since Panopticon 2000 so got a lot of catching up to do. Add to that we’ve had financial issues for the past couple of years due to our flat which we rented out which has now sold. And it’s my birthday on 24 July and I also have private work as well as my normal 9-5 job I have got a larger than normal pot of money to play with. I’ve actually booked in 21 photoshoots and hope to get 34 autographs but I do have an A list and B list for autographs.

Merchandise doesn't really that highly on my list as (a) meeting the stars is my main thrust this time and ( B) I dread to think how much I could spend let lose!

You are like me. The amount is about the same in the end. About 20 shoots and 35 autos

At the moment I have spend 309£ (entry tickets, photoshoots & talks/screening) but will be buying few photoshoots on the day and maybe autographs not sure yet though. I really dont have any budget but hopefully not going to go a lot over 500£ :D

I feel like I have the smallest budget, I'll be taking around £50-£80, just for a couple autographs and food money really.

For what I've paid for already estimates at £90 inc. photoshoots, GoT screening and travel.

You're not alone, mine's about the same! It may go up by a tenner depending on how much I spend in the next two weeks, but currently it's about £60 - £70 lol.

• Like 1

At the moment I have spend 309£ (entry tickets, photoshoots & talks/screening) but will be buying few photoshoots on the day and maybe autographs not sure yet though. I really dont have any budget but hopefully not going to go a lot over 500£ :D

Muita suomalaisia tässä tapahtumassa?! Vau.. todella hienoa lukea, että en tule olemaan ainoa!

(Rest of you: sorry, excited to see another Finn here, couldn't help but to post in Finnish!)

My spreadsheet tells me £250 on autographs. I did remove Stan Lee because I don't want autos that aren't personalised and it is highly likely that will be the case with him - I booked a photoshoot instead when they were £35 so I will be happy with that. On the day this will probably double due to a commission from one of the big comic guests and a teensy bit of merchandise :angel:

Having already booked the photoshoots I want I'll be taking about £350 with me for autographs

and a couple of other photoshoots I am thinking about.

This could change though if any other guests are announced before the event.

Blackknight you might be able to help me. At winter LFFC back in October I saw some stalls that had packs of smallville cards, which at the time I thought we're playing cards but I've since discovered that they were actually trading cards. Do you know roughly how much each pack costs?

I love autographs as much as the next person, but people who have budgeted £1000 for what amounts to a squiggle...really???? You could go on a couple of amazing holidays abroad for that much!!!

But not everybody has an interest in (a) going abroad and (b ) holidays. I've not had a "holiday" now for 21 years.

Edited by Knitty Fred
  • Like 2

why would you need to ask anyone on budget, surely you know what your interested in and how much money you've got to spend ,the costs of autographs / photoshoots etc are on the website. I know people who spend nothing and just like to look around and others who spend hundreds and more.Its all down to what your interested in.

Edited by loveamyadams

All photoshoots bought but with the autos I want it's about £400. I can take around £500 with me but I don't want to spend it all on autos just in case so have to decide very carefully about which autos I want

Edited by MissShell
  • Like 1

I love autographs as much as the next person, but people who have budgeted £1000 for what amounts to a squiggle...really???? You could go on a couple of amazing holidays abroad for that much!!!

You are right, as LFC IS my holiday abroad every year.

Some people spend 1000s on a motorbike and then never ride it, do you say the same to them? ;)

• Like 6

You are right, as LFC IS my holiday abroad every year.

Some people spend 1000s on a motorbike and then never ride it, do you say the same to them? ;)

Yeah, the logical is irrefutable but hardly going to win any fans on this board as we are all die hard collectors of those squiggles!!!!!

• Like 4

Muita suomalaisia tässä tapahtumassa?! Vau.. todella hienoa lukea, että en tule olemaan ainoa!

(Rest of you: sorry, excited to see another Finn here, couldn't help but to post in Finnish!)

wow suomalaisia, mahtavaa luulin että minä ja mun kaveri oltaisiin ainoaita! :D

Blackknight you might be able to help me. At winter LFFC back in October I saw some stalls that had packs of smallville cards, which at the time I thought we're playing cards but I've since discovered that they were actually trading cards. Do you know roughly how much each pack costs?

a box is normally £45 which contains foil packs

Maybe the people who have that kind of money prefer to spend their time and money on something that they can enjoy over and over again instead of a week on a beach... that you'll miss over and over again...

I've been to Istanbul, Venice, Florence, Prague, New York, Cuba, Thailand, Hong Kong, Barcelona, Rome, Verona, Crete, Greece, and so many more... I'm not talking about lying on a beach for a week. Travelling fills you with so many memories and broadens your mind, introduces you to new cultures, foods, languages, traditions. Autographs don't do any of that, I was merely commenting on how disproportionately expensive autographs are in terms of what you get out of them as a person, and spending such huge amounts on them seems a bit sad in my opinion - life is short, go out there and experience it!

• Like 1