The set up for Stan Lee

I think a lot of people do go to the shows and some don't get any autos, just come along and enjoy the atmosphere, meet friends etc. Some will only get one or two, so may be thinking about Stan Lee as one of those, but price may be prohibitive and then there are some of us that primarily come to meet as many guests as we can and most of us will be be getting Stan Lee. There is of course also the dealers who are likely to be getting Stan as well, so I don't think it is necessarily just the number of people getting a Stan Lee auto, but that many people will be looking to get Stan to sign a number of things.

I think Stan should be in a big leather chair about 20 feet off the ground and one by one the fans are summoned to him and rather than signing his name he just signs 'SL' and then a security person says ' you are free to leave, bring forth the next person '.

There will always be people who will never understand paying money for an autograph and therefore will never do it but like other aspects of the weekend. Also it depends on money, I've no doubt many people use credit cards and get into all kinds of debt but that's no different than someone spending all their money on alcohol and cigarettes and not having much food to keep them going. People will always put their interests first before the important things. None of us need a Stan Lee autograph. People want one but the important thing is getting your rent paid or mortgage paid, feeding your kids,making sure the heating is paid, the water is paid. Those are the important things and for many people, they can't afford a lot at these shows.

So if you're going to these shows and spending hundreds of pounds over the weekend...........and you are it doing without getting into debt or using credit cards or borrowing money off people then you are lucky. If you can go to LFCC and know that your rent is paid or mortage is paid and that the heating bills and water bills are paid and there's food in the fridge when you get home then you guys are gonna love it. However for many many people, the reality is much different. When it comes to Stan Lee it will be one or the other. To put it into even more of a perspective, his autograph is not that far off what a lot of people get off the government feed and heat them all week. It is a lot of money. For someone on benefits or someone who's unemployed it's just not possible or it's very difficult to plan your money that way but then again shows like this are targeted towards people with money especially young people.

• Like 1

Everyone has their hobbies interests so it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks! So what if people think it's wrong? Each individual is free to spend their money on what they want. My only hobbies are Football, Comics, Film & TV So will happily spend money at these conventions.

• Like 3

Everyone has their hobbies interests so it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks! So what if people think it's wrong? Each individual is free to spend their money on what they want. My only hobbies are Football, Comics, Film & TV So will happily spend money at these conventions.

Agreed. Sometimes I do wonder if I'm not wasting tons of money doing these conventions. But I love doing them and meeting the actors, so...

I think Stan should be in a big leather chair about 20 feet off the ground and one by one the fans are summoned to him and rather than signing his name he just signs 'SL' and then a security person says ' you are free to leave, bring forth the next person '.

There will always be people who will never understand paying money for an autograph and therefore will never do it but like other aspects of the weekend. Also it depends on money, I've no doubt many people use credit cards and get into all kinds of debt but that's no different than someone spending all their money on alcohol and cigarettes and not having much food to keep them going. People will always put their interests first before the important things. None of us need a Stan Lee autograph. People want one but the important thing is getting your rent paid or mortgage paid, feeding your kids,making sure the heating is paid, the water is paid. Those are the important things and for many people, they can't afford a lot at these shows.

So if you're going to these shows and spending hundreds of pounds over the weekend...........and you are it doing without getting into debt or using credit cards or borrowing money off people then you are lucky. If you can go to LFCC and know that your rent is paid or mortage is paid and that the heating bills and water bills are paid and there's food in the fridge when you get home then you guys are gonna love it. However for many many people, the reality is much different. When it comes to Stan Lee it will be one or the other. To put it into even more of a perspective, his autograph is not that far off what a lot of people get off the government feed and heat them all week. It is a lot of money. For someone on benefits or someone who's unemployed it's just not possible or it's very difficult to plan your money that way but then again shows like this are targeted towards people with money especially young people.

So what's your point? The same can be said about anything that costs money.

In fact al those people spending money at these shows pay VAT which goes towards those benefits you're talking about.

I'll never forget being in a sci fi shop in a market and this vagrant stops by and starts shouting at me for wasting my money on this expletive rubbish!

Yes he was right, I should have been spending it on meths or booze!

I enjoy the cons and have been prone to indulge in a bit of overspending but what the hey, I work hard for my money!

So what's your point? The same can be said about anything that costs money.

In fact al those people spending money at these shows pay VAT which goes towards those benefits you're talking about.

Pretty much this, these events in the UK make money, tax off that goes to benefits. I wont go on about my view on the benefits system but at the end of the day the people with money should be able to spend it on whatever they want considering the tax will contribute to the benefits system in the end.

I'm not into collecting autographs though I have a quite nice collection from sets I've been on when friends have been working. I do like photoshoots though as they feel more personal, everyone's different and how they choose to spend their money is up to them. I remember the first time I paid for an autograph being horrified but my son wanted it and that mattered to me. In total I have three I've paid for out of the hundred or so I have, other people arnt that lucky or maybe they enjoy the buzz of collecting them. Some people smoke (I do) or go out drinking or expensive holidays its all relative. I just hope everyone has fun gets as much as they can out of the event, goes home happy and hopefully comes back next year.

• Like 1

Hi, newbie here.

I'm getting my pic with Stan on Friday, have my ticket for that.

So do I go straight to his desk/booth when I get in? Do I need to get a virtual ticket for that, and one for his auto? And do I get them at the same desk?

I have a frivolity budget...Its only a finite amount so If something is out of budget I just don't do it. Or I sell something to cover the cost. At least if I spend it on a day out it stops me spending on more fabric. (repeat to self 'I will sew from my stash, I do not need more fabric')

As a comic collector this will be the first Showmasters event where I have paid for either a photoshoot or an autograph. I attend these events for the dealers and the comic creators (and all the other creators sign for free and don't do photoshoots) so this is really a one off thing for me and probably not something I'll pay for again.

For every product there is an audience, same for this. I don't mind paying for autographs or photoshoots, actually I''m more then happy to pay for them, while I wouldn't pay for an autograph or picture from a trader, because the value for me is not in the autograph or the picture, but in meeting the person, however short that meeting might be. The autograph and/or picture are just an extra for me, a nice reminder to have of the real thing which is worth my money: the experience of meeting the people you have admired for the work they have done and the entertainment they have given to you, sometimes for years on end.

• Like 5

For every product there is an audience, same for this. I don't mind paying for autographs or photoshoots, actually I''m more then happy to pay for them, while I wouldn't pay for an autograph or picture from a trader, because the value for me is not in the autograph or the picture, but in meeting the person, however short that meeting might be. The autograph and/or picture are just an extra for me, a nice reminder to have of the real thing which is worth my money: the experience of meeting the people you have admired for the work they have done and the entertainment they have given to you, sometimes for years on end.

I agree meeting your favourite guests is mainly what its about and getting an auto/photo is a bonus completely agree and I too wouldn't really bother with buying autographs and stuff without meeting that guest as it just doesn't mean anything to me, agree to it all lol =)

For years I used to attend these type of events and the guests I wanted where signing for free and I used to be really against paying for autographs, thought the idea was stupid why pay for autographs if your a fan of that person its silly and all it is is a scribble on a picture or something which no one even needs. It felt really strange when for the first time I gave money to pay for an autograph lol

However, although I still find it sort of strange to pay for autos I'll admit I'm accepting that now. I like to think of it as paying to meet that guest not just getting a picture/auto also it hopefully helps these events get bigger and better guests that if they where signing for free those events would probably never get due to that

Hi, newbie here.

So do I go straight to his desk/booth when I get in? Do I need to get a virtual ticket for that, and one for his auto? And do I get them at the same desk?

Have a read through the first posts in the FAQ thread. It answers everything you need to know.

For the photo, all you need is the ticket you got in the post, so just turn up to the right photo area at the right time.

For an auto you need the VQ ticket. These are handed out by each guests signing area and I would highly recommend getting there as soon as you can (but in a calm manner!) to get a low number.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Never really understand why they box off guests unless sm don't want you to look at them for free :smile: I always get autos on impulse as well and have never got a boxed guest on impulse, it was only when i saw others photos that i wished i had got Norman Reedus, if i would have saw him im sure i would of impulse bought. Out of sight out of mind i suppose.

It's exactly for that reason. It stops people hanging around guests and slowing up the process.

Hi, newbie here.

Have a read through the first posts in the FAQ thread. It answers everything you need to know.

For the photo, all you need is the ticket you got in the post, so just turn up to the right photo area at the right time.

For an auto you need the VQ ticket. These are handed out by each guests signing area and I would highly recommend getting there as soon as you can (but in a calm manner!) to get a low number.

Hope this helps!

That's great, thank you :)

I'm a massive comic fan but not too bothered about meeting Stan, the plan is to go to the con on Saturday then do London on the Sunday, so don't fancy queuing for the entire day. Would be happy with just getting a look at the great man, but I doubt that'll happen if he's getting put somewhere special. Oh well...