Saturday at Collectormania

tr1gger

I am sorry to hear that Avery Brooks assistant was so mean, I went yesterday and I want to thank the lovely lady next to him who asked me for my camera so she could take a photo for me.

<snip>

I got to meet everyone I wanted but I was put out that Grace took so long, I was at the event for 6 hours most of which was spent waiting for her auto, heck I got to see James Masters before her and I got the VT for him after I got hers.

Hang on, one minute we're complaining that folks are taking too little time with guests, and the next, that they're taking too MUCH time? Make your mind up, please! Was it like the reported 'Shatner' situation, where he was signing stuff for the guy 5 behind you when you got to the head of the queue, and was so unfriendly due to JCB orgering (ordering/ogreing... hmmmm) about? No.

So Grace chatted with folks more than James... Throw her out the country! Send her to Guantanamo! She might be just more unused to conventions as him, and have this crazy idea that fans should have a great time after paying big bucks for a squiggle, and instead of getting a cheesy candid shot, that talking might be the solution..

Jeez, you got an opinion on everything, I was put out at having to hang around waiting but I am not complaining just stating a throwaway comment. I think you need to calm down cos that is one extreme reaction to the words I posted. Saying I was put out that she took a long time is not excessive complaining, in fact I think everyone was happy. The young girls organising the queue and selling photos did a wonderful job of being smiley and helpful. If numbers were anything to go by Grace got up to 300 and James did 900 but on the whole each experience IMO was worth it.

Actually, I was just using arguments put forward rather forcefully by other folks on this board after previous shows. One minute the star rushes you through (complaint...) the next, the star takes too long due to being sociable, or doing quotes from particular scenes etc.. (complaint...). Personally I'd rather get more bang for my buck, but it must get rather tiring for the stars to rehash every scene with the obsessives you get at these things. I don't usually watch BSG, so couldn't chat on that topic with Grace, but I have watched a couple of episodes today.

Btw, if you're able to check back at the furore over how fast they herded through the guys for the Hobbits... and then cut down the number of items per trip.. because too many Elves were just going up and saying Hi, or wanting to chat, and taking up time that fans who wanted items signed (not forgetting the distractions like the herd of Elves/Hobbits tapping Vampire-like on the windows next to Dom...)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it kind of puts peoiple off metting them if no posed photos, or those of us who dont want to ask and risk offending the guest!

Weird. Yeah. James wouldn thave had photos anyway, and i suspect maybe charisma too even if there wasnt a photo shoot..... e.g nick brendon

Did Nick not allow people to do them or was he not allowed to? When I met Tony Head the first time the place I was at wouldn't allow photos though he didn't seem to mind when I asked.. it was the staff who said no. :P

I'm sure James would have allowed photos if it were up to him... Charisma didn't seem too thrilled about the shoot though to be honest. She wasn't as warm as Tony or James.

I believe Nick was asked (i didnt myself - as i said i feel a bit weird asking) but said no - polietly, not rudely, but still no. which is fair enough, i was just disapointed. unlike some times when you still see posed photo with a guest, despire the sign, i dont remember seeing anyone post a photo on here that was posed with Nick

After reading various comments about Charisma, it makes me kind of glad I didn't meet her now, she sounds a bit like what I expected really in the sense of not being particularly warm.

Charisma seemed nice to me, i am willing to give her a little more slack for being nervous as i believe she had some kind of stalker problem. If i had a serious stalker issue in the past, i think i'd be a bit wary about hundreds of people i didnt know coming to see me. You could say then why do the event, but i'd rather have a bit wary (but still pretty as hell) Charisma, original BTVS cast member, than no one at all. y'know?

That said its a bit frustrating when you then hear that photos personalisations etc have been allowed when people have asked. I know theres an element of 'dont ask dont get' involved here but the only people who tend to lose out tend to be the people who play by the rules (I know its an outdated concept but its nice to try and do!)

yeah, i mean people ask and sometimes they get. but i feel rude doing that, cos some guests might (and im sure have done) get arsy about there being a sign but still asking. I see where you're coming from, so often you 'play by the rules' only to have someone else come along, ignore everything and f**k you over (in many things in life, not conventions...)

Did Nick not allow people to do them or was he not allowed to? When I met Tony Head the first time the place I was at wouldn't allow photos though he didn't seem to mind when I asked.. it was the staff who said no. :thumbup:

I believe Nick was asked (i didnt myself - as i said i feel a bit weird asking) but said no - polietly, not rudely, but still no. which is fair enough, i was just disapointed. unlike some times when you still see posed photo with a guest, despire the sign, i dont remember seeing anyone post a photo on here that was posed with Nick

not 2 bragg but...

11344141a21651807b43364550lc.jpg

I think the whole weekend was amazing all the guests were cool, only disappointment I had was when I went to see Anthony Head on the Saturday he was no posed photos, but on the sunday he didnt have the sign :thumbup: and I feel funny about not getting an autograph at the same time... so I was a bit bummed out by that :/

Otherwise another fantastic show SM

Tony went through various rules of posed or no posed photos on Saturday. I was the person at the head of the queue checking you had everything out and ready and trying to apologise when we did have the no posed photos rule up. Which was for a short period late on Saturday afternoon.

I think what we need to clarify is this: If a guest has a no posed photos rule sign up, that normally (and in Tony's case DID) means that the guest is not going to stand up, put his/her arm around you and stop signing while the photo is being taken. This can take ages and was put in place only after consultation with Tony because he had about two hours left and three hundred VQ tickets still to call. He was, I believe the last guest to leave on Saturday, because he wanted to make sure that he didn't leave anyone disapointed.

I tried to tell everyone that he'd happily look up while signing and smile if you crouced into the photo, and that he was more than happy for everyone to snap away while he was signing. Putting this rule in place for about an hour enabled us to get through what had become a situation where we wouldn't have managed to get all the autographs done. Anyone who asked me specifically for a posed photo was invited to pop back at the end and told if he was clear/quieter it wouldn't be a problem at all. Tony did do a small photo session at the end of the day for those who came back.

Only if a NO PHOTO rule is in place, will a guest not look up and will we enforce the rule. These are normally in place at the actors or their agents request and to help speed things up for the very busy guests.

We may be crew members but we're also mostly collectors and fans ourselves and we do understand that you want a photo, time with the guest and a signature, but we are always mindful of how many other people are standing in that virtual queue behind you. It never looks like a really big queue because it is an imaginary one but sometimes there are hundreds of people still waiting to be called through.

I appreciate you all saying it never hurts to ask and that you are going to do that in future. But try asking the crew member rather than the guest. Guests don't want to offend anyone, after all, you are who put them there, so will say yes when put on the spot like that! We then have to be the ones who say "No sorry". But if you had ticket number 800 and we stopped at 799 how would you feel? The best bet if you really want that photo is to buy a photo shoot ticket, or to come back later when the guest is on open queue.

Tony went through various rules of posed or no posed photos on Saturday. I was the person at the head of the queue checking you had everything out and ready and trying to apologise when we did have the no posed photos rule up. Which was for a short period late on Saturday afternoon.

I think what we need to clarify is this: If a guest has a no posed photos rule sign up, that normally (and in Tony's case DID) means that the guest is not going to stand up, put his/her arm around you and stop signing while the photo is being taken. This can take ages and was put in place only after consultation with Tony because he had about two hours left and three hundred VQ tickets still to call. He was, I believe the last guest to leave on Saturday, because he wanted to make sure that he didn't leave anyone disapointed.

I tried to tell everyone that he'd happily look up while signing and smile if you crouced into the photo, and that he was more than happy for everyone to snap away while he was signing. Putting this rule in place for about an hour enabled us to get through what had become a situation where we wouldn't have managed to get all the autographs done. Anyone who asked me specifically for a posed photo was invited to pop back at the end and told if he was clear/quieter it wouldn't be a problem at all. Tony did do a small photo session at the end of the day for those who came back.

Only if a NO PHOTO rule is in place, will a guest not look up and will we enforce the rule. These are normally in place at the actors or their agents request and to help speed things up for the very busy guests.

We may be crew members but we're also mostly collectors and fans ourselves and we do understand that you want a photo, time with the guest and a signature, but we are always mindful of how many other people are standing in that virtual queue behind you. It never looks like a really big queue because it is an imaginary one but sometimes there are hundreds of people still waiting to be called through.

I appreciate you all saying it never hurts to ask and that you are going to do that in future. But try asking the crew member rather than the guest. Guests don't want to offend anyone, after all, you are who put them there, so will say yes when put on the spot like that! We then have to be the ones who say "No sorry". But if you had ticket number 800 and we stopped at 799 how would you feel? The best bet if you really want that photo is to buy a photo shoot ticket, or to come back later when the guest is on open queue.

What an intelligent reply :-) thank you.

and yay for tony - ive got two photos with him so i dont tend to meet him at CM anymore, but such a nice guy, that if i had all the money int he world i'd meet him everytime cos hes so sweet.

• Moderators

Managing large queues and trying to get everyone through in a day is very tough, especially when dealing with a LOT of people who refuse to be understanding about the situation, the rules, and the general organisation of the event.

All crew members know that it's impossible to keep 100% of attendees happy, but we'll do as much as we can to get everyone through.

I can comment on a few things though:

The 'NO POSED PHOTOS' rule is never about wanting to get more people in the photo sessions. In fact, the last thing they probably wanted down the photo session area was MORE people as it was chaotic enough without adding to it.

I see a few people encouraging each other to ignore the signs and just ask the guests anyway. Please don't. As 'madmonster*' has said, just ask the crew instead. It's not fair to put guests in that position, as they really do feel uncomfortable sometimes, and don't want to give a bad impression etc. If there are NO POSED PHOTOS, it's always for a good reason. It will be necessary at the time, but it can always change and often does.

And if you think it's about making MORE money - not at all! Many people decide against meeting a guest because they can't get a photo, so that's losing out on money not gaining.

The crew is there to help everyone as much as possible, to answer questions, and to make sure as many people meet the guests that they want to. We're not there to annoy attendees or ruin their experiences, but if I'm ticketing for Tony Head and we're only on 300 then saying "what a f**king stupid system!!" to me when I won't let your 700+ ticket into the queue isn't going to work in your favour.

Luckily most of the attendees are pleasant and friendly which makes the job a hell of a lot easier. It's always great to meet new people, and to be thanked for doing a good job. It's nice, and you get to be a part of something that so many people enjoy.

It's not the crew or showmasters who decide not to have posed photos, it is either the guest or the agent. Some guests just don't like posing for pictures and some realise that they will get through more people if they don't.

I'm sorry that some of you had bad experiences with the crew. It's horrible if they were rude!

Managing large queues and trying to get everyone through in a day is very tough, especially when dealing with a LOT of people who refuse to be understanding about the situation, the rules, and the general organisation of the event.

All crew members know that it's impossible to keep 100% of attendees happy, but we'll do as much as we can to get everyone through.

I can comment on a few things though:

The 'NO POSED PHOTOS' rule is never about wanting to get more people in the photo sessions. In fact, the last thing they probably wanted down the photo session area was MORE people as it was chaotic enough without adding to it.

I see a few people encouraging each other to ignore the signs and just ask the guests anyway. Please don't. As 'madmonster*' has said, just ask the crew instead. It's not fair to put guests in that position, as they really do feel uncomfortable sometimes, and don't want to give a bad impression etc. If there are NO POSED PHOTOS, it's always for a good reason. It will be necessary at the time, but it can always change and often does.

And if you think it's about making MORE money - not at all! Many people decide against meeting a guest because they can't get a photo, so that's losing out on money not gaining.

The crew is there to help everyone as much as possible, to answer questions, and to make sure as many people meet the guests that they want to. We're not there to annoy attendees or ruin their experiences, but if I'm ticketing for Tony Head and we're only on 300 then saying "what a f**king stupid system!!" to me when I won't let your 700+ ticket into the queue isn't going to work in your favour.

Luckily most of the attendees are pleasant and friendly which makes the job a hell of a lot easier. It's always great to meet new people, and to be thanked for doing a good job. It's nice, and you get to be a part of something that so many people enjoy.

again, a good reply. :-)

People should treat the crew as they would like to be treated themsevles. An angry negative rant will not rub anyone up the right way and you're likley to get an angry negative response. I'm glad to be out of working in a shop, but it was people who start off with an 'attitude' tend to get one back, and rarely get what they want. people who approached me nicely witha problem or issue usually left happier...

I do thank crew for their job - im sure some are better than others, as with all things. i just know i couldnt do it myself, cos i hate the general public hahah.

yeah im one who may decided against meeting a guest if i cant have a photo - with use it as jusitifcation for trying to save money when i cant make a proper decision :(

I am sorry to hear that Avery Brooks assistant was so mean

I seriously hope that wasn't me, 'mean' isn't in my vocabulary! :P

I was Avery Brooks' assistant on the Saturday, a very busy day for a popular guest who bless his heart, wanted to meet everyone and give them a personal experience, that was his priority; so he shook hands with everyone that came up, asked their names and didn't leave anyone out that came up with them. There was a 'no posed photos' rule over the day (the sign was moved to the table in the latter part of the day) but he was more than happy to have pictures taken whilst signing (preferably with the fans in the shot crouching down next to him) that was his preference, and I tried to make that as easy as possible.

As crew we all want to do the best by guests and attendees alike, I can't tell you how happy it makes me feel personally when fans meet their favourite actor, have a lovely experience and walk away smiling, that's what it's all about for me. If there's a 'no posed photos' rule for any reason it's something we have to work with (here echoing madmonster and David's posts) but at the same time I will do my best to help every single person that comes up individually to get the experience they want and the most they can if there are any restrictions, then go away with great memories. I'm there to assist, not desist, we all are; it's all about the actors and lovely people that have come to see them alike having the best day and achieving that to the best of my powers is the goal, as I understand completely how it feels, plus frankly happy people make my day and a great event, which is what everyone wants. :D

Edited by roxy

Ok so, I am one of the crew members who worked on the Charisma and James section, and man was it busy. I am not sure where your mate got the idea of her not signing her Playboy stuff because she did and even stated she was extremely proud of the shots. I think your friend missed out there, if they wanted one.

I'm the friend SilvaNemesis mentioned, I'd read on the internet she was a bit funny about signing certain magazine shoots she'd done, although Playboy wasn't mentioned to be honest but I just wanted to let SN know that there was a possibility of problem if he'd intended to get it signed.

I'm glad to hear she was fine with signing Playboy as SN told me he'd seen a few people with copies knocking around.

In the end he decided to leave before meeting her in any case, at least I hope what I said didn't put him off since I know he's a fan.

I just hope those who got to meet her had a good time - cos she was really lovely.

I met her at the very end of Saturday and she was really quiet, but after signing 900 odd autograpghs I wouldn't be very chatty either and it's not like I attempted to engage her in conversation, so I've got no complaints about meeting her.

I'm the friend SilvaNemesis mentioned, I'd read on the internet she was a bit funny about signing certain magazine shoots she'd done, although Playboy wasn't mentioned to be honest but I just wanted to let SN know that there was a possibility of problem if he'd intended to get it signed.

It was my first time meeting her too, but i knew nothing of this rule but since have heard similar things to what you posted - I hope your mate got his picture signed. I sat next to her on Sun and she declared that day she was proud to sign such shots:)

I met her at the very end of Saturday and she was really quiet, but after signing 900 odd autograpghs I wouldn't be very chatty either and it's not like I attempted to engage her in conversation, so I've got no complaints about meeting her.

She was great and hopefully you guys got what you wanted cos that is what this is all about:)

• Showmasters Admin

Charisma was nice to me. Not the most talkative of guests (we were rushed through her ridiculously quickly!) but when I asked her if I could take her picture she was more than happy to oblige and I've got a lovely photo of her smiling at me, so that was cool.

I found some of the crew members a bit unfriendly as well. I can understand the amount of stress and pressure there must be with that kind of job, but still...most were fine, it was just the odd few who were hanging around Charisma and James. Too Tall was great at letting us James fans in on the Sunday morning...very well organized getting us in an orderly line. Thanks, Too Tall! :)

No worries :(

Hi to anyone I saw about the event. And to all those I saw early Sat and Sun morning in the James and Brandon queues.

I had a good time with the queues outside Sat and Sunday morning.

Edited by Too Tall

well sunday was my very first con, i only went to see grace and i had a great time (and bonus got to meet ray park as well!). personally i would have been unhappy if we'd been rushed through after all the time queuing for just her (and i spent a good 3 hours to get one photoshoot pic and then autographs). she looked amazing and very relaxed and happy and seemed to be taking her time with everyone. i brought some of her shoots in american mags to sign, plus command and conquer 3 and she seemed quite impressed. i can see how it could be frustrating for some, but i think most people go for one or two primary people they want to see/meet/get autos from, not all of them - or to do that go on multiple days. i really hope you can get her back again next year guys and thanks! :whistling:

EDIT: i realise you were talking sat btw, but my point would apply to any day i guess! :thumbup:

Edited by gaiusbaltar

It was my first time meeting her too, but i knew nothing of this rule but since have heard similar things to what you posted - I hope your mate got his picture signed. I sat next to her on Sun and she declared that day she was proud to sign such shots:)

She was great and hopefully you guys got what you wanted cos that is what this is all about:)

Hi Pooks, it's Kayla. It was great working with you on Sat :wub:

I'd read on the internet...

and that's how so many rumours start...

Almost everything you read on the internet that purports to be factual does indeed have a grain of truth about it. The difficulty is in knowing whether it's just one tiny little grain of sand of truth or a whole beach-full, if you see what I mean.

:smile:

Intelligent, articulate, well thought-out, polite, helpful and rational. I wish there were more posts like this, but in the meantime I'm happy to quote it all; maybe repeat exposure will help those qulalities rub off on the rest of us. :smile:

I'd say you're also a credit to your organisation, especially compared to some posts from that side of the fence. Thank you.

In Toxie's defence, I'm sure when Charisma did LFCC around the time of her Playboy issue coming out, she didn't sign the pics. Not even Maxim...

Btw on wikipedia theres an unconfirmed report that she's unique in Buffy stars not to charge for autographs.... Yet to be confirmed.....

hmmmmm

In Toxie's defence, I'm sure when Charisma did LFCC around the time of her Playboy issue coming out, she didn't sign the pics. Not even Maxim...

Nope, she did. Both Maxim and Playboy. At least I had no problems.

i didn't have a problem at all with her signing my playboy pic when she was in London...whenever someone says an actor won't sign this or they won't sign that...its mostly always hear say...unless you actually put it in front of them and they decline...your never really know!

i didn't have a problem at all with her signing my playboy pic when she was in London...whenever someone says an actor won't sign this or they won't sign that...its mostly always hear say...unless you actually put it in front of them and they decline...your never really know!

i think gillian anderson wont sign x files stuff. someone i knew met and said she wouldnt. i didnt take my x files stuff becuase of that, but ive not heard it first hand

i think gillian anderson wont sign x files stuff. someone i knew met and said she wouldnt. i didnt take my x files stuff becuase of that, but ive not heard it first hand

but X-Files is practically the only thing she has done...yeah the odd movie here and there...but X-Files made her...again its always what someone else says...don't be put off taking stuff to be signed in future just because of a rumour!

Nope, eyewitness here: Gillian Anderson indeed strictly refuses to sign X-Files material.

She told me she wouldn't sign a photo because it was from the X-Files when I met her once - I had taken great care to find a photo from one of her movies just to make sure she'd sign it.

I admit I got snarky and told her "in which episode does Scully wear a hat like this?" She grumbled and finally signed. But several other people with X-Files items got a flat out refusal from her.