Saturday at Collectormania

tr1gger

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder who it is who enforces the no posed pics thing, cos when I asked Avery Brooks, he seemed like he didn't mind although the woman sitting next to him said no, so he told me to crouch down next to him so I was on the photo with him which I appreciated him doing. He was excellent. After reading various comments about Charisma, it makes me kind of glad I didn't meet her now, she sounds a bit like what I expected really in the sense of not being particularly warm. What would have been really cool would be if she would have signed her Playboy cover, but a friend who I met there, said that she wouldn't sign any Playboy or FHM magazines she'd appeared in. If that's true, it's a shame, why be in them?

Edited by SilvaNemesis

I wasnt too sure about Charisma, she was nice to be because I had a simple name to spell but other than that, was a bit hmmm.. I think the guy in front of me didn't because when he left she was like ... so specific!

I wonder who it is who enforces the no posed pics thing, cos when I asked Avery Brooks, he seemed like he didn't mind although the woman sitting next to him said no, so he told me to crouch down next to him so I was on the photo with him which I appreciated him doing. He was excellent. After reading various comments about Charisma, it makes me kind of glad I didn't meet her now, she sounds a bit like what I expected really in the sense of not being particularly warm. What would have been really cool would be if she would have signed her Playboy cover, but a friend who I met there, said that she wouldn't sign any Playboy or FHM magazines she'd appeared in. If that's true, it's a shame, why be in them?

we had the same with Avery.....he was happy for me to take a pic of my son with him while he was signing the picture...more than likely because he knew it was the only way of getting around the no posed photos....as i gather he was doing that later and you have to pay for that priviledge....so i guess its Showmaster that enforces that "no posed photos" for certain guest...oh that reminds me...when i asked Grace Parks if my son could have have his pic taken with her....the first thing she did was look at the person sitting with her.....so they must have been briefed....she again like Avery said you can take one while i am signing the pic!

I think this whole no posed photo thing really needs looking at. Personally if theres a sign up saying no posed photos, no personalisations etc then I won't ask because I think its a bit embarrasing for the actor, after all once they do it for one they have to do it for eveyone and to be fair to them, a lot of people don't like to say no.

That said its a bit frustrating when you then hear that photos personalisations etc have been allowed when people have asked. I know theres an element of 'dont ask dont get' involved here but the only people who tend to lose out tend to be the people who play by the rules (I know its an outdated concept but its nice to try and do!)

Not so sure about the young woman sat at Charisma's desk. In the line we were told she was happy to pose, a young family got a picture infront of me but when I asked her just to look up at the camera while she signed the crew member was rather rude. I wasnt just going to photograph the top of her head, I do think some of the crew think they have a bit too much control and as one crew member in the line said "we are just trying to herd you all through like cattle".

As with other shows Ive been to they should be seen and not heard. Sometimes I felt I was just dealing with a crew member and the star was by the by just signing and passing on the picture. In future I will only speak to the star.

sorry as a previous crew member for three of the events i feel that i should defend the crew at this point. We do not make up the no photo rule but we have to enforce it for the sake of the guest. I know that loads of people get disappointed, I did too when I met a guest once but the experience of meeting them was what i took away, and not a photo and that was enough. The crew are incredibly busy and they make the show run smoothly - you were talking about great organisation? - in part, due a lot to the crew that were working this year (i'm not one of them so not tooting my own horn here).....i understand that you were a bit pissed off and maybe whoever it was could have said 'sorry, no photo rule' a bit nicer perhaps but...we're just doing what we're told, we don't make the rules so....a lot of people bash crew and for the most part they are all hardworking and loveley!! And crewing is a great experience!

anyway, glad everyone had fun this weekend - wish i could have made it - damn boarding school!! Couldn't even get a train home to go and I soooo wanted to meet Charisma Carpenter but hopefully she'll come to some more events!

Not so sure about the young woman sat at Charisma's desk. In the line we were told she was happy to pose, a young family got a picture infront of me but when I asked her just to look up at the camera while she signed the crew member was rather rude. I wasnt just going to photograph the top of her head, I do think some of the crew think they have a bit too much control and as one crew member in the line said "we are just trying to herd you all through like cattle".

As with other shows Ive been to they should be seen and not heard. Sometimes I felt I was just dealing with a crew member and the star was by the by just signing and passing on the picture. In future I will only speak to the star.

sorry as a previous crew member for three of the events i feel that i should defend the crew at this point. We do not make up the no photo rule but we have to enforce it for the sake of the guest. I know that loads of people get disappointed, I did too when I met a guest once but the experience of meeting them was what i took away, and not a photo and that was enough. The crew are incredibly busy and they make the show run smoothly - you were talking about great organisation? - in part, due a lot to the crew that were working this year (i'm not one of them so not tooting my own horn here).....i understand that you were a bit pissed off and maybe whoever it was could have said 'sorry, no photo rule' a bit nicer perhaps but...we're just doing what we're told, we don't make the rules so....a lot of people bash crew and for the most part they are all hardworking and loveley!! And crewing is a great experience!

anyway, glad everyone had fun this weekend - wish i could have made it - damn boarding school!! Couldn't even get a train home to go and I soooo wanted to meet Charisma Carpenter but hopefully she'll come to some more events!

Just look confident and go for it …ignoring the sign all together.

They hopefully will feel stupid for putting the sign there in the first place.

What’s the worst they can do...say ‘no’

Forget the ‘crew member’, forget the ‘sign’… the revolution has begun!. :D

My first collectormania event was probably the first of many good times. I just got back from casualty - having driven three hours to get home I end up in A&E two hours later with a snapped ligament - thank goodness it didn't happen over the weekend. I was gonna only get the photos with James, Anthony and Carisma but the time it took for the photos to arrive back meant faffing about and I ended up getting Anthony to sign the picture of me and him, so inevitably I was back today (Sunday) to pick up the Charisma one and to get both James and Charisma to sign them. I was through both queues in record time and at the back of the James photo queue for 11.30. Having only discovered 'Spike' last year I was a little worried that I might not like him as, obviously he is not Spike. James was absolutely fabulous, in those seconds spent with him he makes you feel like you are the only person there, he is there just for you, and the way he holds your hand as you leave so that it gently slips away oh my (well the girls hands anyway). I must have said thankyou a million times over the weekend to James, Anthony and Charisma and still feel I didn't say it enough. The photos are brilliant (thank you Mr Photographer for no double chins). I can't wait for LFCC and Andy Hallet. Major big thanks to Collectormania staff for making my weekend a superb one.

I took a pic of Anthony signing my photo and he was ok about it, even posed, what a gent. Took movie pics of James and Charisma signing this morning and they were ok about it. This is so fab.

Edited by Kittygoldfang

Wow..!

I am really surprised at the comments about Charisma.The very limited time i had with her at the signing,she was really friendly.

....and in the photo shoot,she was great.I had my photo taken three times due to bad shots,and Charisma was really nice and joked as well.

I am sorry to hear that Avery Brooks assistant was so mean, I went yesterday and I want to thank the lovely lady next to him who asked me for my camera so she could take a photo for me.

The crew were very nice, no bad experiences for me on that side, it was very laid back and relaxed. On the whole they were very professional and polite. Showmasters should feed and water them more often tho, the poor guys were starving and looked shattered, maybe we should bring snacks for the crew, set up a welfare unit distributing Mars bars and cups of tea and coffee :huh:

The stalls were very busy when I got there about midday and did not clear till 4 ish, I managed to get a new FX Lightsabre for £39 and they were selling them on another stall for £75.....who makes up these prices?

Very pleased that I got James to sign my copy of the Storm Front book, I could not get the audio books in the UK. I think it was a surprise to him that he was known for something else other than Spike. Next time I might download and print of a screen shot of him in Andromeda, cos I want a Charlemaine photo (open shirt LOL).

I got to meet everyone I wanted but I was put out that Grace took so long, I was at the event for 6 hours most of which was spent waiting for her auto, heck I got to see James Masters before her and I got the VT for him after I got hers.

My guess is that the No Posed photos could be a way of getting the perfectionist pphotographer/eager fan from taking TOO long to getr the shot, and thus pissing off the guest, and those still queueing.

As I've said before, Charisma had no probs signing her Playboy when I saw her late Sunday. 'Why should I? It's a great layout!' was her response to asking if she had probs.. I did hear she didn't sign her PB at LFCC, but yesterday seemed to indicate a different view. I understand she was even signing the insides, and I'm suyre there had been prints of the inside shots.

annoying ly for me by sat afternoon the no posed photos with avery sign had been taken down but i asked the lady at desk who said it was still no posed photos as avery didnt like doing them so in the end i didnt bother with his auto-

but the one that really was annoying was on sat the steward on terry jones queue with thick glasses he told my friend not to engage terry in conversation as terry like to talk for ages and they wanna rush people thro. and that made my friend talk to terry that much more to be fair :huh:

but i always feel it should be the guests choice about photos/ time talking etc not the organisers- i know it about money but they got to realise people want a bit more then a quick hi, auto and a phot while signing especially for £20 ago.

I am sorry to hear that Avery Brooks assistant was so mean, I went yesterday and I want to thank the lovely lady next to him who asked me for my camera so she could take a photo for me.

<snip>

I got to meet everyone I wanted but I was put out that Grace took so long, I was at the event for 6 hours most of which was spent waiting for her auto, heck I got to see James Masters before her and I got the VT for him after I got hers.

Hang on, one minute we're complaining that folks are taking too little time with guests, and the next, that they're taking too MUCH time? Make your mind up, please! Was it like the reported 'Shatner' situation, where he was signing stuff for the guy 5 behind you when you got to the head of the queue, and was so unfriendly due to JCB orgering (ordering/ogreing... hmmmm) about? No.

So Grace chatted with folks more than James... Throw her out the country! Send her to Guantanamo! She might be just more unused to conventions as him, and have this crazy idea that fans should have a great time after paying big bucks for a squiggle, and instead of getting a cheesy candid shot, that talking might be the solution..

i never found time with grace that long- about average- maybe that becacasue of the big names rushing people through that even a couple of mins with a person is spoiling us

Charisma was nice to me. Not the most talkative of guests (we were rushed through her ridiculously quickly!) but when I asked her if I could take her picture she was more than happy to oblige and I've got a lovely photo of her smiling at me, so that was cool.

I found some of the crew members a bit unfriendly as well. I can understand the amount of stress and pressure there must be with that kind of job, but still...most were fine, it was just the odd few who were hanging around Charisma and James. Too Tall was great at letting us James fans in on the Sunday morning...very well organized getting us in an orderly line. Thanks, Too Tall! :)

I do think some of the crew think they have a bit too much control and as one crew member in the line said "we are just trying to herd you all through like cattle".
That was a twatish thing for him/her to say, insensitive too. What a knob.

crew should be seen and not heard. Sometimes I felt I was just dealing with a crew member and the star was by the by just signing and passing on the picture. In future I will only speak to the star.
It pisses me off when the crew try to join in the converstion. Excuse me, but I paid to meet the guest only.

that happened to me a few times - mostly when i had watched lost ahead of the crew so they kept on at me not to spoil it for them so i couldnt talk to the quests how i would of liked

that happened to me a few times - mostly when i had watched Lost ahead of the crew so they kept on at me not to spoil it for them so i couldnt talk to the quests how i would of liked
Jesus H. Christ!! I really hope you ignored that request. You should have told them to "get lost"...(sorry, couldnt resist) I certainly would have and probably enjoyed it too. Edited by nicky

<snip>

Hang on, one minute we're complaining that folks are taking too little time with guests, and the next, that they're taking too MUCH time? Make your mind up, please! Was it like the reported 'Shatner' situation, where he was signing stuff for the guy 5 behind you when you got to the head of the queue, and was so unfriendly due to JCB orgering (ordering/ogreing... hmmmm) about? No.

So Grace chatted with folks more than James... Throw her out the country! Send her to Guantanamo! She might be just more unused to conventions as him, and have this crazy idea that fans should have a great time after paying big bucks for a squiggle, and instead of getting a cheesy candid shot, that talking might be the solution..

Jeez, you got an opinion on everything, I was put out at having to hang around waiting but I am not complaining just stating a throwaway comment. I think you need to calm down cos that is one extreme reaction to the words I posted. Saying I was put out that she took a long time is not excessive complaining, in fact I think everyone was happy. The young girls organising the queue and selling photos did a wonderful job of being smiley and helpful. If numbers were anything to go by Grace got up to 300 and James did 900 but on the whole each experience IMO was worth it.

Edited by CurlyKirsty

Ok so, I am one of the crew members who worked on the Charisma and James section, and man was it busy. I am not sure where your mate got the idea of her not signing her Playboy stuff because she did and even stated she was extremely proud of the shots. I think your friend missed out there, if they wanted one. As for the posed photos thing - there was actually a sign above her head saying no posed photos - crew members were doing their jobs enforcing it, but if the star then decides they will take a particular photo then that is up to them. Charisma was willing to take pictures with kids and families. James actually had signs also which stated no posed photos and no personalisation. I just hope those who got to meet her had a good time - cos she was really lovely.

xoxo

Wow..!

I am really surprised at the comments about Charisma.The very limited time i had with her at the signing,she was really friendly.

....and in the photo shoot,she was great.I had my photo taken three times due to bad shots,and Charisma was really nice and joked as well.

I was surprised as well, I spoke to Charisma more than I did James Marsters or Tony Head. She was really nice to me. I had read before that Charisma wasn't as nice as some of the other guests so I was really pleased I got to speak with her.

I had to wait most of the day to meet Grace as her que was going quite slowly but was happy to wait as it meant she was taking time to actually meet you rather than sign your auto. True this was her first con appearence(not including comic con) so she wasn't an old hand at signing like the Shatner - but i prefered it that way.

I was there for for three days. Saturday was great.

I met Charisma immediatly and met George in the afternoon. I had a fantastic few days. I go to alot of signing events and the MK Collectormania is without doubt my favorite. I actually enjoy visiting the shopping centre (I think its a fantastic centre - ground breaking when it was opened). It also allows visitors to shop if they wish to and provides no shortage of banks, restaurants, cinemas and bars, which gives more activity to the visitors. I think it is much better than the events at Earl's Court and G-Mex.

I do go to other SM events, but only if there are guests I really want to meet and I don't usually stay the weekend, because I simply don't enjoy it the way I enjoy the MK events. I love visiting Milton Keynes.

Don't ever change Collectormanias. Roll on October.

Thank you for everything.