Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
HeartDT

Special Assistance

Recommended Posts

Hi.. well looks like we will get after all...sooooooo happy.   Apologies if this is posted somewhere, which I am sure it is, but who do I contact in regards to registering for assistance for person I am attending with who has mobility issues?  Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Need some follow up help with this, sorry if already asked. 

Last year i was told we needed to go to where people collected their Diamond passes to collect the special assistance wrist band, but the amount of hassle i got for it was more then a bit annoying. I have a YALC ticket each year but got told by the lady handing out the wrist bands at that desk that the YALC ticket didn;t allow me into the convention, just one floor and that my green social welfare card (ireland) didn't work and i had to prove i was disabled. in ireland this card is how i prove i'm disabled, so what else do i bring? and where do i collect my band as a YALC ticket holder. would really like to not repeat my experience from last year it was pretty upsetting being told my limp was fake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dreamsphere said:

Need some follow up help with this, sorry if already asked. 

Last year i was told we needed to go to where people collected their Diamond passes to collect the special assistance wrist band, but the amount of hassle i got for it was more then a bit annoying. I have a YALC ticket each year but got told by the lady handing out the wrist bands at that desk that the YALC ticket didn;t allow me into the convention, just one floor and that my green social welfare card (ireland) didn't work and i had to prove i was disabled. in ireland this card is how i prove i'm disabled, so what else do i bring? and where do i collect my band as a YALC ticket holder. would really like to not repeat my experience from last year it was pretty upsetting being told my limp was fake.

You have already provided your details in the form? You will be contacted and they will provide you with the details. The mods are not involved with the process and I really don't have any details, sorry for that. 

The Lady was somewhat correct. Your YALC ticket only allowed you access to the actual event after a certain time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Queen_Sindel said:

You have already provided your details in the form? You will be contacted and they will provide you with the details. The mods are not involved with the process and I really don't have any details, sorry for that. 

The Lady was somewhat correct. Your YALC ticket only allowed you access to the actual event after a certain time. 

Yes I knew that, its after ten you are aloud, but i was told at no time whatsoever was i aloud into the main convention and would be asked to leave if i tried. very confusing

I filled out my form yes. last month. all i have that might work is disability parking disk but can't take it with me for fear of losing it. also wow, thanks for the amazing fast response, you rock queen :-) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some crew are still adjusting to the new ticket categories I'm afraid. I know TooTall mentions it in his briefing. I'll let him know to do that again.

I know the parking disc works at US Disney Parks, so that would be definitely good I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/06/2018 at 7:30 PM, Dreamsphere said:

Yes I knew that, its after ten you are aloud, but i was told at no time whatsoever was i aloud into the main convention and would be asked to leave if i tried. very confusing

I filled out my form yes. last month. all i have that might work is disability parking disk but can't take it with me for fear of losing it. also wow, thanks for the amazing fast response, you rock queen :-) 

Hi, just to say that if you take a photo copy of BOTH sides of you Disability Parking Disc then that should be enough to bring as “proof”. They understand that people don’t want to be carrying those around. I only bring a photo copy of my Disability Proof because of the same reason. However, it will need to be of both sides of the Disability Disc because then it shows it is yours with the side that has the expiry date on and the side that has your name on etc :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I emailed about 2-3 months ago about a Carer Pass for my mum (my Dad is disabled) and I haven’t heard anything back. Do we just arrive and let someone on the door aware that we need a carer Pass (with relevant documents)? 

Thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I know you should have had a Response. Did you E-Mail from the address you registered on the Forum with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Queen_Sindel do you know if we should have had a response after applying through the disability page on the website? I did that and never got an answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ChloeLouise said:

I emailed about 2-3 months ago about a Carer Pass for my mum (my Dad is disabled) and I haven’t heard anything back. Do we just arrive and let someone on the door aware that we need a carer Pass (with relevant documents)? 

Thank you 

Have you filled in the form under the Accessibility header online? The new system means that after you fill in that form you don’t need to do anything else. There won’t be an email response in reply to you filling in the form because I was told they aren’t sending out individual emails for the Extra Help now. By filling in the form that means you are registered for Extra Help and on the day they have a printed out list of all the people who have applied and those who have requested a Carers Ticket. As long as you bring the proof of one of the documents listed in the form that should be enough. You don’t have an “actual” ticket for a Carer it’s just simply that you have requested you have a Carer with you and then they get a Carers band on the day. They get to attend the event for as long as your ticket allows you to attend. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, EllaBlair said:

@Queen_Sindel do you know if we should have had a response after applying through the disability page on the website? I did that and never got an answer.

No there isn’t an email response after filling in the form. They just then have you registered on their list. Turn up on the day and give your name and show your proof of Disabiltiy and if you have requested a Carers Ticket it will be on their list :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't suppose I can use a Disabled Persons Railcard as proof of anything can I?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for confirming, FanGirl. It seems the "confirmations are no longer sent" info got stuck on the way to the mods.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, natedammit said:

I don't suppose I can use a Disabled Persons Railcard as proof of anything can I?

Here is a list of what they ask for on the Extra Help Page...

  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA) award letter
  • Attendance Allowance (AA) award letter
  • Blind Persons Registration
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • A current and valid Blue Badge (photocopy of both sides)
  • A medical letter from your doctor or consultant explaining your reasons for needing extra assistance

However, I too have a Disabled Persons Railcard and I know the only way to get one is if you show proof of Disability benefits to the Railcard people in their form and issuing process. So I’d be inclined to say that it’s “proof” but, obviously it’s in Showmasters Policy that the “proof” they require are the ones listed sadly. Maybe email and ask?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone!

I emailed the assistance last year and they said to fill in the form. I filled in the form and just thought there would be a reply but you guys say no. We have a photocopy of my dads blue badge ready with the tickets so we will use that as proof! 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in a wheelchair my self and never had any problems, I too not heard anything back from the form. I never heard anything back when I went to collectormania and again when I went I had no problems. Here is what I do when I go with my carer, try and get there early like 8:40am and have tickets and proof of my disability, I take a copy of my disability letter at the ready. I tell a crew member how many days I am here for, they give a wrist band for my carer and myself. I hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, unkown error said:

I'm in a wheelchair my self and never had any problems, I too not heard anything back from the form. I never heard anything back when I went to collectormania and again when I went I had no problems. Here is what I do when I go with my carer, try and get there early like 8:40am and have tickets and proof of my disability, I take a copy of my disability letter at the ready. I tell a crew member how many days I am here for, they give a wrist band for my carer and myself. I hope this helps.

Okey dokey thank you! My Dad was a little concern because we’ve never done conventions before so wanted it to be hassle free! But it seems easy enough compared at attending a lot of other events.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, you will be fine. This little story is from when before the abuse issues started (and a regular assistance was established), but it will show how flexible SM are with assistance.

Manchester, first show. A certain mod does a shopping tour in town. Ankle goes over, big ouch. Back to the hotel for ice. In the middle of the night ankle swells up. Queue lots of German swear words and a trip in an ambulance. 

After hours in the emergency ward: Ankle badly sprained, being put on crutches. Said mod being said mod she tried to hop around on crutches to get to the event. Barely made it to the autograph area when a crew member realized way earlier than I was ready to admit it that this wasn't going to work out. They got help and even organized a wheelchair for me which I was allowed to take back to the hotel. No charge.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Queen_Sindel said:

Yes, you will be fine. This little story is from when before the abuse issues started (and a regular assistance was established), but it will show how flexible SM are with assistance.

Manchester, first show. A certain mod does a shopping tour in town. Ankle goes over, big ouch. Back to the hotel for ice. In the middle of the night ankle swells up. Queue lots of German swear words and a trip in an ambulance. 

After hours in the emergency ward: Ankle badly sprained, being put on crutches. Said mod being said mod she tried to hop around on crutches to get to the event. Barely made it to the autograph area when a crew member realized way earlier than I was ready to admit it that this wasn't going to work out. They got help and even organized a wheelchair for me which I was allowed to take back to the hotel. No charge.  

Wonder who that might be... hmmm..hmmm..:huh::rolleyes::D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm disabled (double amputee) and sent in the Extra Help form. I did get a reply saying they couldn't accept me as I hadn't given the correct ticket no. for entrance on Sat? I emailed and they told me which no (which was actually the one I gave them?) Re-sent the form and have heard nothing more? So I hope this time it worked? Due to travelling I cannot get there till 11.22am, so hope this won't be a problem?

Penny 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...