Special Assistance

Hi There,

Ive submitted an Extra Help form three weeks ago and haven't heard anything via email in terms of confirmation etc. 

I need to supply some additional info to the show crew about my partner and also to confirm that everything is order with the EH request. 

On 7/4/2018 at 2:27 PM, natedammit said:

I don't suppose I can use a Disabled Persons Railcard as proof of anything can I?

On 7/4/2018 at 2:34 PM, FanGirl said:

Here is a list of what they ask for on the Extra Help Page...

• Disability Living Allowance (DLA) award letter
  • Attendance Allowance (AA) award letter
  • Blind Persons Registration
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • A current and valid Blue Badge (photocopy of both sides)
  • A medical letter from your doctor or consultant explaining your reasons for needing extra assistance

However, I too have a Disabled Persons Railcard and I know the only way to get one is if you show proof of Disability benefits to the Railcard people in their form and issuing process. So I’d be inclined to say that it’s “proof” but, obviously it’s in Showmasters Policy that the “proof” they require are the ones listed sadly. Maybe email and ask?

If you qualified for the railcard then you should qualify for SM extra help too,  as both ask for the same (ish) proofs. If you've submitted them once for the card, you simply need to do the same here.

Edited by robmoriarty

On 04/07/2018 at 6:36 PM, unkown error said:

you'll be fine, I've never en-counted any problems from showmasters, they are great.

Hi there - I'm going in my wheelchair I wondered how you found getting in and out of the photo shoots if you've ever done. My memory (and I've not been in years) was the gaps to get in and out are very narrow?  I can stand for the shoot but essentially just for the photo then back in the chair 

56 minutes ago, red8886 said:

Hi there - I'm going in my wheelchair I wondered how you found getting in and out of the photo shoots if you've ever done. My memory (and I've not been in years) was the gaps to get in and out are very narrow?  I can stand for the shoot but essentially just for the photo then back in the chair 

The gaps are fine for wheelchairs. If it can fit my huge electric one (and the size of my ego), most will get through. You can take your chair all the way to the front of the queue, stand and walk over to the guest (a metre or two at most) to have your photo taken. The crew have always been great from my experience and normally help reunite you quickly with your chair so you can leave out the other side.

Edited by robmoriarty
  • Like 1

I have always been amazed at how efficient the photo area crew are with special need people, mostly wheelchairs and also do it in a way that we don't tend to feel like we are being a bother or annoying people,even before this new wrist band thing came in before if i told the red shirt person at the photo area i couldn't stand for long without any need to explain i'd be brought to the top of the line and they'd politely ask the people there can i pop in and join the line. I love the staff inside the convention hall, they are amazing.i might not be wheelchair bound myself but i have very poor balance skills and wobble a lot so i too appreciate wide open doors and such in case i bump into people.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dreamsphere said:

I have always been amazed at how efficient the photo area crew are with special need people, mostly wheelchairs and also do it in a way that we don't tend to feel like we are being a bother or annoying people,even before this new wrist band thing came in before if i told the red shirt person at the photo area i couldn't stand for long without any need to explain i'd be brought to the top of the line and they'd politely ask the people there can i pop in and join the line. I love the staff inside the convention hall, they are amazing.i might not be wheelchair bound myself but i have very poor balance skills and wobble a lot so i too appreciate wide open doors and such in case i bump into people.

If you wobble, but you don't fall down, you're probably part weeble.

Well crap, I've only just seen the assistance form. I filled it out immediately, of course, but it's a day late. Does this mean they will be giving us trouble next Friday? I do have a weekend pass but I need my husband's assistance to get around. I had no idea there was a deadline or a form, for that matter.

1 hour ago, Lushchicken said:

Well crap, I've only just seen the assistance form. I filled it out immediately, of course, but it's a day late. Does this mean they will be giving us trouble next Friday? I do have a weekend pass but I need my husband's assistance to get around. I had no idea there was a deadline or a form, for that matter.

Try e-mailing extrahelp@showmastersevent.com.

Unfortunately the mods can't answer this.

14 hours ago, Lushchicken said:

I'm in the same boat as yourself, sent an email last night and got an automatic reply saying they'll try to reply within the next 5 working days, really hope we can both get it sorted in time for the event as of course it's needed.

Just now, _ItsWilliam_ said:

I'm in the same boat as yourself, sent an email last night and got an automatic reply saying they'll try to reply within the next 5 working days, really hope we can both get it sorted in time for the event as of course it's needed.

Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

This has got me thinking now. Should everyone have received an automated response after filling in the extra help form? I did mine back in March and never got one. Have emailed the address above to double check they received it just in case.

13 minutes ago, robmoriarty said:

This has got me thinking now. Should everyone have received an automated response after filling in the extra help form? I did mine back in March and never got one. Have emailed the address above to double check they received it just in case.

I believe it has been said that no responses were sent out this year.

If you have missed the deadline and have not heard back from extrahelp til the show bring the documentation requested on the website and go to the assistance desk please. It will take a bit longer because you won't be on the list and paperwork etc. needs to be prepared for you, but you will be able to get the wristband.

Before someone asks: yes, CONFIRMED.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

You just turn up at the Access door Rob and they will have you registered

Will do. Arriving on Thursday around 6pm, staying at the Hilton next door - I'll be nice and early in the queue on Friday this year!

Hopefully having a good look around on Thursday evening means I won't get sent to 5 different entrances as I was last year...:crying:

Edited by robmoriarty

3 hours ago, robmoriarty said:

I emailed because I was worried about the same thing, I sent the form off back in May and never heard anything this is what they sent back to me:

Once you have submitted your form you won’t receive any other confirmation unless there is an issue with your preregistration. Your name will be added to the Extra help list and they will check your documentation so please remember to bring this with you. On the day of the event the crew will advise you where to go to collect your extra help / carers wristband.

So based on this we should both be fine Rob.

1 minute ago, EllaBlair said:

I emailed because I was worried about the same thing, I sent the form off back in May and never heard anything this is what they sent back to me:

Once you have submitted your form you won’t receive any other confirmation unless there is an issue with your preregistration. Your name will be added to the Extra help list and they will check your documentation so please remember to bring this with you. On the day of the event the crew will advise you where to go to collect your extra help / carers wristband.

So based on this we should both be fine Rob.

Agreed, though I never got that back from them so you are one ahead of me.

I get the point SM don't want to have to email everyone back unless there is an issue due to the amount of time it would take, but even just having an auto response email saying "thanks - your form has been submitted and received by our team, who will get back to you if needed. Please bring your proof with you on the day just in case." would allay many concerns. Auto responders like that aren't exactly difficult to set up off the back of a form submission. I've made enough of them myself for my own clients.

• Like 1

Agreed with what @robmoriarty said above. Sending an auto response would stop a lot of concerns. Especially when I have a carer coming and she hasn't bought an entry ticket, I've spent a couple of days worried she wouldn't be able to get in. I'm sure we're not the only worried ones who have emailed regarding this the last couple of days.

4 minutes ago, robmoriarty said:

Agreed, though I never got that back from them so you are one ahead of me.

I get the point SM don't want to have to email everyone back unless there is an issue due to the amount of time it would take, but even just having an auto response email saying "thanks - your form has been submitted and received by our team, who will get back to you if needed. Please bring your proof with you on the day just in case." would allay many concerns. Auto responders like that aren't exactly difficult to set up off the back of a form submission. I've made enough of them myself for my own clients.

Maybe send an email after and request it for next year, it is a bit silly to not have an auto response explaining that because people won't know otherwise.