Jump to content
Raylenth

Films watched in 2018

Recommended Posts

After my 45th visit to the cinema this year.   I've just watched my final film of the year..

Bumblebee is what the Transformers movies should of been made like as not the Michael Bay OTT versions we ended up with.

My Top 5  2018 films seen at the cinema in no particular order

Molly's Game

Avengers Infinity Wars

Ready Player One

Mission Impossible - Fallout

Bohemian Rhapsody

Honourable mention

A Simple Favour

Deadpool 2

 Sicaria 2

Worst films in order of how bad they were.

1 The Predator - absolutely terrible film only saving grace the two further Predator films Shane Black was going to make thankfully  will never happen

2  Pacific Rim 2 - Garbage-trying to make money off the surprise hit of the 1st film.  Millions sent on CGI 50p on the script

3  Downsizing - Yawn

4 Jurassic Park - Fallen Kingdom - also the biggest let down of the year for me.  Even Chris Pratt cannot save this movie

Here to 2019 Happy New Year everybody

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Jabberwocky50

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It took me a while, but I haf ranked all the films I saw at the cinema this year in order.

1. Avengers: Infinity War

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a chance I could fit in one or two more before the end of the year, but here is my current list of films I saw at the cinema this year in the order I rate them.

UH5XYBh.jpg

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aquaman - 10/10 (on the DC scale that is :lol:). I've only seen Wonder Woman and Justice League, and this was the first one were I didn't sit through the entire film being completely bored. Yes it had it's boring parts, but it also had entertaining parts that the others some how didn't have!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched This Means War over Christmas. I just... I mean... There's so much wrong with this film I don't know where to begin. Blergh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually I don't do one off reviews but this was so awesome and a bit different!

Black Mirror: Bandersnatch - Wow. This is unlike anything you've seen before. I've always been a massive fan of Black Mirror since the first series, but they really have gone above and beyond this time. WIth Bandersnatch they have created a "choose your own adventure" movie that very much fits into the BM world of dark technology based stories. There are many different decisions to make, some small, some big, that will ultimately decided the outcome of the story. I don't want to give any spoilers as you really should watch/play it. The whole thing lasts for approx 90 mins, and in that time I saw multiple endings as it allowed me to go back to certain points to see how things would have turned out if I'd chosen other options. Reading up, there are still many other story points that I didn't see on my watch through so I might have to give it another go soon! Just be aware that due to the interactive nature of this film, it will not play on some technology (like Apple/Google TV and older Smart TVs).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here goes in order......

  • The Greatest Showman x 5
  • Avengers Infinity War x 3
  • Three Billboards of Epping Missouri
  • The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Pie Society
  • Bohemian Rhapsody x 2
  • Jurassic World Hidden Kingdom x 3
  • Ready Player One x 2
  • A star is Born x 2
  • Deadpool 2 x 2
  • Searching
  • Solo
  • Alpha
  • Spiderman Into the Spiderverse
  • Mission Impossible Fallout
  • Black Panther
  • Antman and the Wasp
  • Robin Hood
  • Bumblebee
  • Aquaman
  • Crazy Rich Asians
  • Hunter Killer
  • Night School
  • The Festival
  • Birdbox
  • The Darkest Minds
  • Darkest Hour
  • A Quiet Place
  • The 15/20 to Paris
  • Blockers
  • Mile 22
  • Creed 2
  • The Girl in the Spiders Web
  • Maze Runner 3
  • Venom
  • Johnny English Returns
  • Tag
  • Walk Like A Panther
  • Game Night
  • Ladybird
  • Mama Mia Here We Go Again
  • A Wrinkle in Time
  • Rampage
  • The Meg
  • Skyscraper
  • Coco
  • Early Man
  • Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool
  • I Tonya
  • Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them 2
  • Adrift
  • Smallfoot
  • Hotel Transylvania 3
  • Life of the Party
  • Pacific Rim Uprising
  • The Commuter
  • Mary Poppins Returns
  • Predator
  • Widows
  • King of Thieves
  • Peter Rabbit
  • The Post
  • Oceans 8
  • Hostiles
  • All the Money in the World
  • Finding Your Feet
  • First Man
  • Goosebumps 2 Haunted Halloween
  • Tomb Raider
  • Roman J Israel
  • Downsizing
  • Mollys Game
  • The Shape of Water
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2018 at 12:01 PM, Wrong Name said:

Usually I don't do one off reviews but this was so awesome and a bit different!

Black Mirror: Bandersnatch - Wow. This is unlike anything you've seen before. I've always been a massive fan of Black Mirror since the first series, but they really have gone above and beyond this time. WIth Bandersnatch they have created a "choose your own adventure" movie that very much fits into the BM world of dark technology based stories. There are many different decisions to make, some small, some big, that will ultimately decided the outcome of the story. I don't want to give any spoilers as you really should watch/play it. The whole thing lasts for approx 90 mins, and in that time I saw multiple endings as it allowed me to go back to certain points to see how things would have turned out if I'd chosen other options. Reading up, there are still many other story points that I didn't see on my watch through so I might have to give it another go soon! Just be aware that due to the interactive nature of this film, it will not play on some technology (like Apple/Google TV and older Smart TVs).

I'd heard nothing about this before reading your post but I'm guessing from the title it stars a certain Benedict that @Raylenth sorta thinks is kinda okay a bit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Broo said:

I'd heard nothing about this before reading your post but I'm guessing from the title it stars a certain Benedict that @Raylenth sorta thinks is kinda okay a bit?

Lol.

(I'm laughing at you, not with you.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, natedammit said:

Lol.

(I'm laughing at you, not with you.)

I would expect nothing else ;)

Edited by Broo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Broo said:

I'd heard nothing about this before reading your post but I'm guessing from the title it stars a certain Benedict that @Raylenth sorta thinks is kinda okay a bit?

It does not i’m afraid. If you have Netflix, I highly recommend watching it though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Broo said:

I'd heard nothing about this before reading your post but I'm guessing from the title it stars a certain Benedict that @Raylenth sorta thinks is kinda okay a bit?

You'll have to watch it to find out!*

1 hour ago, natedammit said:

Lol.

(I'm laughing at you, not with you.)

I'm laughing at something, but I don't know what?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

* He's not in it

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

* He's not in it

Actually, I suppose technically he may be, just nobody has made the right choice to find him yet.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wrong Name said:

It does not i’m afraid. If you have Netflix, I highly recommend watching it though.

It sounds very intriguing, though while I'm not quite Chidi Anagonye level of indecisive I suspect it may take twice as long for me to get through it. Unless it's timed or something in which case STRESS I am totally Chidi Anagonye and I won't survive the experience...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Broo said:

It sounds very intriguing, though while I'm not quite Chidi Anagonye level of indecisive I suspect it may take twice as long for me to get through it. Unless it's timed or something in which case STRESS I am totally Chidi Anagonye and I won't survive the experience...

For each decision you have to make, you get 10 seconds. That does send you into a bit of a panic at times, but if you select something that ends it sooner than expected, it will just take you back there to choose the other option. Or maybe something else! It will end the whole thing after 90 mins though so you won't be stuck watching it forever!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Wrong Name said:

For each decision you have to make, you get 10 seconds. That does send you into a bit of a panic at times, but if you select something that ends it sooner than expected, it will just take you back there to choose the other option. Or maybe something else! It will end the whole thing after 90 mins though so you won't be stuck watching it forever!

Could you imagine, the nation is brought to a standstill because we are stuck watching never ending alternatives for Bandersnatch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, natedammit said:

Actually, I suppose technically he may be, just nobody has made the right choice to find him yet.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


* he's really not in it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

A SIMPLE FAVOR (2018) 2.5/5

I always approach Paul Feig's films with caution, he directs such a peculiar brand of comedy which is generally pretty unfunny - case in point;  BRIDESMAIDS (2011), SPY (2015) and GHOSTBUSTERS (2016) all of which I thought were a bit meh. A SIMPLE FAVOR to me is just as forgettable.

In a similar plot to GONE GIRL (2014) a woman goes missing and it's not clear if she's dead or not while her husband tries to cope with the aftermath. The plot also draws parallels to SINGLE WHITE FEMALE (1992) where you have these two best friends confiding in each other only for one of them to have a secret past and isn't quite what she seems. I can't quite place it but I didn't really like any of the three main characters, I just found it very difficult to root for them as they were just so unlikable. Blake Lively especially just came across as a bit try-hard and OTT but I think the reason for that wasn't her acting but rather her role as an unrealistically super- dominant woman who even her boss takes abuse from - she was a bit of an spam. Anna Kendrick came as quite annoying too but obviously as a mirror opposite of Lively's character, almost Stepford Wives-ish, and Henry Golding was just miscast (he calls his son, 'Baby').

This film is a departure from Feig's usual comedy flair and focuses more on being a mystery-thriller but there are sprinkles of his style of comedy throughout which left me confused as to what genre the film was trying to be. The film will have been better served by a director who is more experienced in mystery-thrillers and able to resist the temptation of trying to be humorous.

There's more than enough twists and turns in the film and they all seem to come up in the climax one after the other as the characters all try to out-do each other with one counter-contingency plan after the other. By this point I gave up on the film as it was just too much of a mess to keep up with. Its the pacing of the film that spoils it; plot-points should be spaced-out a bit more to give time for the audience to digest them and not just crammed all at once into the final parts of the 3rd act. Paul Feig should stick to his Kristina Wiig/Melissa McCarthy comedies.

The title is rather irrelevant too; the favor in the film is only a small part of the plot but I guess "A SIMPLE PLAN" was already taken. The French pop soundtrack was also a strange, irrelevant and questionable choice. 

23760_101241_ps_sd-high.jpg

Edited by nicky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Abominable Snowman (1957)

Tense and atmospheric account of an ill-fated expedition to find the elusive creature.

Filmed in "Hammerscope" (whatever that means!) but it looks great in black and white anyway.

Peter Cushing's first Hammer film and he gets off to a good start here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Bumper8 said:

The Abominable Snowman (1957)

Tense and atmospheric account of an ill-fated expedition to find the elusive creature.

Filmed in "Hammerscope" (whatever that means!) but it looks great in black and white anyway.

Peter Cushing's first Hammer film and he gets off to a good start here.

Great to see some love for an older movie. I'll add that one to my list of things to watch.  :thumbup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just gonna point out a new thread for films watched in 2019 has been opened here: 

I realise you may well have watched these in 2018 though!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Oh, I watched Lady Bird over Christmas. What an unexpected bucket of poop that was.

The Shape of Water was good, albeit with too much unnecessary nudity. Michael Shannon was amazing.

Edited by natedammit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Error 

I've never heard of that, who's in it? Is it any good?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×