Films watched in 2018

Raylenth

I thought the new Halloween was a good horror movie. It was certainly better than most of the Halloween sequels and had some quite clever moments. My only complaint is the missing explanations of Laurie's survival after Halloween Resurrection and no mention of her son from H20. They shouldn't have disregarded the sequels.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I thought the new Halloween was a good horror movie. It was certainly better than most of the Halloween sequels and had some quite clever moments. My only complaint is the missing explanations of Laurie's survival after Halloween Resurrection and no mention of her son from H20. They shouldn't have disregarded the sequels.

The reasons why there are no explanations for those events is because in this timeline those events never happened. This film is a total reboot of the franchise, in which only the original film and this new film are canon, every other film in the franchise never happened. Therefore Laurie's son who we were introduced to in H20 never existed, and she was never killed in Resurrection. Hope this explanation helps. :D

Edited by The Friendly Dalek

8 hours ago, wjbleming said:

This one goes out to you, Raylenth...

I actually really like Country Roads, there's a more modern version I heard years ago that I loved. I can't remember who it was by and can't find it, I've listed to most versions on ITunes, I think it was used in a different song so it's not the main part, which is probably why I can't find it :P

8 hours ago, The Friendly Dalek said:

The reasons why there are no explanations for those events is because in this timeline those events never happened. This film is a total reboot of the franchise, in which only the original film and this new film are canon, every other film in the franchise never happened. Therefore Laurie's son who we were introduced to in H20 never existed, and she was never killed in Resurrection. Hope this explanation helps. :D

I have heard that. I just don't personally agree that was the right direction for the film to go. True some of the sequels were bad but they are still part of the franchise and do have their fans so I just think they should be relevant. That is just my opinion though.

• Like 1

Mimic (1997)

Hadn't seen this before-really enjoyed it.

Great cast including a young Josh Brolin and Charles S Dutton (Alien 3).

I noticed in the credits that Norman Reedus was in it (turns out this was his film debut) but I didn't recognise him!

Mission: Impossible - Fallout. Saw it at the cinema. Entertaining, but felt a little long (might have something to do with that it ended at 1:30 am :lol:). An actor from where I live was in the film and when his face showed up on the screen during the mission message there where a few laughs in the crowd :lol:. Tom Cruise filmed at a location not far from where I live that was part of the final fight scene, so it was pretty cool to see that :D

Edited by VikingGrrrl
  • Like 4

Cinema

First Man - Obvious Oscar bait for Ryan Gosling, but his performance wasn't really that great in my view. But I would totally award one to Claire Foy for this! The film itself was ok, a bit more depressing than I was expecting. I think they tried to save money on sets by spending most the film in close up on the actor's faces as I don't remember seeing much else! I'd say it was too long too and there were defiantly parts that could easily have been cut. I'd watch it again though.

Halloween (2018) - This was... nothing special. It was ok. It had similar beats and atmosphere to the original in places and the story felt like a horror movie of old. The whole Laurie story line just felt stupid and unnecessary and the last half hour let the whole thing down.

Fahrenheit 11/9 - Intrigued by the chaos that seems to be modern day politics in the US, I was looking forward to Michael Moore's take on the Trump presidency, as that was what I had understood this documentary would be about. It was not.This film was more about some of the situations that have happened in the States that allowed for a character like Trump to come to power. School shootings, issues with strikes, previous president's not living up to what they promised and a general corrupt system. A bit focus was on the Flint water crisis which, although a very serious and unbelievable issue, seemed to have very little to do with Trump to me. I do like Moore's films though I don't agree with all his politics, but this was another good watch from him showing how bad things really are in some places mixed with his usual humour and strong messages.

Bohemian Rhapsody - I'm not the world's biggest Queen fan. Don't get me wrong, I like them. I have the 3 Greatest Hits albums in my collection, I'm just not a die hard fan like some of my friends are. That being said, I was looking forward to this film as I have watched several movies on the life of musicians that amongst some of my favourite movies (Walk The Line, Ray). I don't think this was quite up there with them, but I still enjoyed it, despite hearing mixed reviews before watching. Rami Malek did a great job as Freddie (despite the often dodgy accent) and this was really his movie. The rest of the cast did a good job but the focus wasn't really on them. Another dodgy english accent came from Mike Myers who I wasn't expecting to be in the film! I felt a lot of the darker stuff in Freddie's life could have bee delved into a little more as it only let hinted at and didn't quite show us how bad things were at his lowest. It goes without saying that this is a must for Queen fans, and the music (all original recordings, live or otherwise, from the original band) really does shine throughout the film. I couldn't help stomping my feet and singing along in many places! It'll be one I add to my collection at some point, but I'll wait for a bargain buy on the blu ray.

Home

Halloween (1978) - I've spoken about this in this thread already but thought i'd add it to my official list here too. I watched this before the new one (and it was my first time seeing both) and I found them to be much of a muchness really. I realise this is seen as a classic and I apologise to anyone who reads this that loves the movie but it just wasn't that great to me. I know it was first to do many things, but films I've watched before this have taken and built something much better than this. I got bored, found it predictable and not scary in the least. I'm interested to watch more of the series at some point but with most saying this is the best, I'm in no rush.

Candyman - I've known about this film since I was a kid and I've always thought of it being mindless slasher flick with some dude just showing up mindlessly killing people after they say his name 5 times when looking into a mirror. Although that very much is part of it, it's also a lot more. Is candyman the bad guy? I'd say not. He's defiantly the monster, but he's not what the film is about. A lot of political issues from the time (some still relevant today) are part of it and the whole film is a lot more psycolocial than I was expecting. There is still a lot of gore though in places! This was definitely a better film than I was expecting and will be added to my regular horror rotation. I don't expect much from the sequels but do look forward to watching them now. (P.S. Why was he called Candyman though?! Not a mention of anything to do with candy in the whole film!!)

Sorry To Bother You - I'm not sure what to say about this film. Weird. Very very weird. The weirdest stuff comes as spoilers so I'll leave it out, but I wasn't prepared for how strange this film was when I sat down to watch it. The story of a black man having to use a "white voice" as a telemarketer to try and get a promotion. Sounds normal, and that's what I was expecting. This film goes off the rails in the late second act though! Some good and funny performances by some well know faces (Lakeith Stanfield, Tessa Thompson, Danny Glover, Steven Yeun, and Armie Hammer) but honestly I'm not sure what kind of message this film was trying to send, if any, or what they were thinking when they came up with the story! Not boring though, I'll give it that! If you like weird stuff then give this a try.

Edited by Wrong Name
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Wrong Name said:

Halloween (1978) - I've spoken about this in this thread already but thought i'd add it to my official list here too. I watched this before the new one (and it was my first time seeing both) and I found them to be much of a muchness really. I realise this is seen as a classic and I apologise to anyone who reads this that loves the movie but it just wasn't that great to me. I know it was first to do many things, but films I've watched before this have taken and built something much better than this. I got bored, found it predictable and not scary in the least. I'm interested to watch more of the series at some point but with most saying this is the best, I'm in no rush.

You've got to admit the soundtrack is great though. :P

If you do get around to seeing the sequels, I think they are all good except for Halloween 5 and Halloween: Resurrection. I'd recommend the theatrical cut of Halloween 6 over the producer's cut as well. Halloween 2, 3 and 4 are the best of the sequels in my opinion, but they all have good and bad points to them. Personally I'd say that Halloween 2018 is the second best film in the franchise. :D

Edited by The Friendly Dalek
  • Like 1

Marooned (1969)

Drama about 3 astronauts trapped in orbit and the plan to rescue them.

Cracking cast with Gregory Peck and David ("Harry O" ) Janssen. Gene Hackman plays "Buzz" Lloyd :-D

Good film but it ended rather abruptly. I imagine Ron Howard checked this out when he signed up to direct Apollo 13.

• Moderators

This year has been without a doubt one of the toughest years I've ever had and I can honestly say the making of Cinema and films in general have got me through it.  So far my 2018 film list (that I can remember)

Sicario

Sicario: Day of the Soldado

Black Panther

Avengers: Infinity War

Darkest Hour

Creed

Venom

Bohemian Rapsody

Johnny English 3

IT

The Predator

Pacific Rim: Uprising

Moana

Halloween

First Man

The Greatest Showman

Ant-Man and the Wasp

Ready Player One

Deadpool 2

The Quiet Place

Solo

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

The Meg

The Equaliser 2

Edited by StuartG2198
  • Like 5

I saw Bohemian Rhapsody last night and really loved it. I'm a huge Queen fan and there was a lot of things in there that I didn't know about. Rami Malek really nailed Freddie and his mannerisms, I can't think of a single person who could have done a better job in the role. I also love the casting of the rest of the band, especially Brian May who looks just like his older counterpart. The Live Aid scene was really wonderful and what a great way to end the film with having that be the last 20 minutes.

• Like 2

BvS Dawn of Justice.  They said it was rubbish, I knew it was probably rubbish, I wanted to see for myself if it really was rubbish.  It was rubbish.

The ending was sad.

But it was still rubbish.

Edited by Raylenth
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Raylenth said:

BvS Dawn of Justice.  They said it was rubbish, I knew it was probably rubbish, I wanted to see for myself if it really was rubbish.  It was rubbish.

The ending was sad.

But it was still rubbish.

You should watch Justice League next. Now THAT’S rubbish.