Latest Guest Announcement - PETER MAYHEW

Nice.

Met him before.

If Vin Diesel was attending, I can imagine a talk involving Peter Mayhew, Vin Diesel and Kristian Nairn.

Probably the best talk ever...

This intrigues me. Why do you say that?

Wait...I just got it lol

Edited by Thundercrackler
  • Like 1

Nice.

Met him before.

If Vin Diesel was attending, I can imagine a talk involving Peter Mayhew, Vin Diesel and Kristian Nairn.

Probably the best talk ever...

:D that would ve hilarious Edited by SammyRomie
  • Like 1

All I can say is that with the films being back as they are I would wonder if his price will go down in the next few years. Whilst only you can decide and I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to spend more than they can afford, would you regret not getting it?

• Like 1

£40 !!??

I'm pretty sure every show I've attended that he attended , he was £15 ?!!!

That's not true. When I met him at LFCC two years ago (I think) he was 20 or 25 pounds. Glad I met him then, but it's not uncommon that guests suddenly become more expensive when they're back in the spotlight (Star Wars 7)

Yes Mads is what £40 this year? When I met him in 2008 he was £20-£25 an autograph. Of course he's now in a Star Wars film and Dr Strange so attracts a premium - all down to timing.

All I can say is that with the films being back as they are I would wonder if his price will go down in the next few years. Whilst only you can decide and I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to spend more than they can afford, would you regret not getting it?

With the popularity of Star Wars somehow getting even bigger than it already was, and a new film coming out every year, you expect interest and prices to go DOWN? Sorry, not going to happen. I expect prices will keep creeping up until they can no longer do these events.

With the exception of Jeremy Bulloch who has been £15 for a signature for as long as I can remember, Dave Prowse has gone up to £20 (from £15), Kenny Baker up to £25 (from £15), and Peter Mayhew has jumped to £40 (from £15, £20, £25 the last couple of years).

Over the last few years Peter Mayhew has been doing far fewer signings in the UK and his signature has gotten a lot shakier and inconsistent, Prowse has got a bit slower at the desk, and Kenny has been on restrictive duties signing for fewer hours on certain days, and very slowly at that. I'm not even sure if Kenny and Mayhew personalise anymore (would be happy to be clarified on that one!).

It will be a very sad day when it happens, and not to sound too morbid, but due to age and ill health, the Star Wars stalwarts of the UK convention circuit will not be with us forever. Dave Prowse is 81, Kenny Baker 81, Jeremy Bulloch 71, and Peter Mayhew 72.

I think because we see them all so regularly at the shows we take it for granted that they'll be there forever. I know I am guilty of this and have walked past their desks and thought "I'll get them next time." Well, all four will be at LFCC and all four are integral people to a series of films I love so much. I am going to grab the chance to see them all whilst I can, before it becomes a regret. And at prices that are a lot more reasonable that at the official Star Wars conventions.

• Like 1

£40 !!??

I'm pretty sure every show I've attended that he attended , he was £15 ?!!!

That's not true. When I met him at LFCC two years ago (I think) he was 20 or 25 pounds. Glad I met him then, but it's not uncommon that guests suddenly become more expensive when they're back in the spotlight (Star Wars 7)

Yes Mads is what £40 this year? When I met him in 2008 he was £20-£25 an autograph. Of course he's now in a Star Wars film and Dr Strange so attracts a premium - all down to timing.

I remember his first Showmasters event was LFCC in 2007 before I got into collecting autos in person, so even though I attended, I didn't see him. I realised afterward as a huge James Bond fan that I should have got him and really regretted it. Then in 2008 he got announced as a guest at Collectormania Midlands in Coventry so I seized the opportunity and he was the very first guest I ever met.

Everyone was going nuts for Bruce Campbell who was there and Mads didn't get a look in, even at only £15. I told him I thought he was one of the very best Bond villains and he said, "I wish you'd tell everyone else that" because he was so quiet. I went on the Saturday, and I was one of only 10 people who had a photoshoot with him. And he had only 5 photos on the Sunday. I think he will have a very different experience next weekend.

I might sound mean but I am glad people are paying a lot more for Mads Mikkelsen now because he was always a terrific actor and extremely fan friendly. I haven't met many guests as thoroughly nice as him. Patience has paid off and I think a very deserving actor has finally cracked Western audiences: with Bond, Hannibal, Marvel's Doctor Strange and now Star Wars on his CV he's only going to get even more well known.

Edited by Dent_1

With the popularity of Star Wars somehow getting even bigger than it already was, and a new film coming out every year, you expect interest and prices to go DOWN? Sorry, not going to happen. I expect prices will keep creeping up until they can no longer do these events.

I don't at all. My comment was a statement rather than a hope. I was saying like you are, that Star Wars, incredibly popular as it was, is being launched into the stratosphere now with the raft of films that are coming out and I would seriously doubt his price will go down any time soon. So for those commenting that they thought £40 is steep, if they want to get him, I don't see his price changing anytime soon.

I don't at all. My comment was a statement rather than a hope. I was saying like you are, that Star Wars, incredibly popular as it was, is being launched into the stratosphere now with the raft of films that are coming out and I would seriously doubt his price will go down any time soon. So for those commenting that they thought £40 is steep, if they want to get him, I don't see his price changing anytime soon.

Sorry, I misread "I would wonder" as "I wonder"! My bad. :blush: So I think we're both right! Price are likely only to go UP!

• Like 1

I could have phrased it a little clearer!

Also just consider how much some of the main cast were at a very recent Star Wars event in the UK! Cheap they ain't any more :coolthumb:

Edited by Raylenth

With the exception of Jeremy Bulloch who has been £15 for a signature for as long as I can remember, Dave Prowse has gone up to £20 (from £15), Kenny Baker up to £25 (from £15), and Peter Mayhew has jumped to £40 (from £15, £20, £25 the last couple of years).

Over the last few years Peter Mayhew has been doing far fewer signings in the UK and his signature has gotten a lot shakier and inconsistent, Prowse has got a bit slower at the desk, and Kenny has been on restrictive duties signing for fewer hours on certain days, and very slowly at that. I'm not even sure if Kenny and Mayhew personalise anymore (would be happy to be clarified on that one!).

It will be a very sad day when it happens, and not to sound too morbid, but due to age and ill health, the Star Wars stalwarts of the UK convention circuit will not be with us forever. Dave Prowse is 81, Kenny Baker 81, Jeremy Bulloch 71, and Peter Mayhew 72.

I think because we see them all so regularly at the shows we take it for granted that they'll be there forever. I know I am guilty of this and have walked past their desks and thought "I'll get them next time." Well, all four will be at LFCC and all four are integral people to a series of films I love so much. I am going to grab the chance to see them all whilst I can, before it becomes a regret. And at prices that are a lot more reasonable that at the official Star Wars conventions.

I couldn't agree more my friend. I'm a huge Bond fan and was guilty of taking Burt Kwouk (a veteran of 2 Bond films) for granted as he seemed to be at every show a few years back. Very sadly he passed earlier this year and I never got to meet him, let alone get his auto- a regret I will always have...

Just consider how much some of the main cast were at a very recent Star Wars event in the UK! Cheap they ain't any more :coolthumb:

Tell me about it. I went! And I paid for 2 autos from Mark Hamill!

My logic was: Hamill had to be heavily persuaded by Abrams to get paid (apparently) up to $4m for 60 seconds of screen time in Force Awakens. He seems fan friendly now but his fees are clearly getting bigger and I worry there may come a day where he's had enough of it all. But in the meantime, combine the love for the original trilogy held by existing fans and mix that with new fandom this sequel trilogy will bring, where Luke & Leia feature more heavily moving forward and I think those two autographs inparticular will get ever more expensive and harder to get.

I'm glad that I got Carrie Fisher at LFCC 2014 for £20 less than what was being charged at this recent 'unnamed' Star Wars event. Nice to see Showmasters keep autograph prices cheaper for all the same guests. And to think I dithered over getting Carrie at the time. Glad I didn't now!

Just consider how much some of the main cast were at a very recent Star Wars event in the UK! Cheap they ain't any more :coolthumb:

Tell me about it. I went! And I paid for 2 autos from Mark Hamill!

My logic was: Hamill had to be heavily persuaded by Abrams to get paid (apparently) up to $4m for 60 seconds of screen time in Force Awakens. He seems fan friendly now but his fees are clearly getting bigger and I worry there may come a day where he's had enough of it all. But in the meantime, combine the love for the original trilogy held by existing fans and mix that with new fandom this sequel trilogy will bring, where Luke & Leia feature more heavily moving forward and I think those two autographs inparticular will get ever more expensive and harder to get.

I'm glad that I got Carrie Fisher at LFCC 2014 for £20 less than what was being charged at this recent 'unnamed' Star Wars event. Nice to see Showmasters keep autograph prices cheaper for all the same guests. And to think I dithered over getting Carrie at the time. Glad I didn't now!

Exactly.

As much as some people moan about Showmasters pricing (yes I know £60/70 + for a signature is a lot of money, but comparatively!) they do always do what they can to keep the price down - when you compare the prices to a lot of other overseas events we aren't that badly off price wise.

• Like 1

I couldn't agree more my friend. I'm a huge Bond fan and was guilty of taking Burt Kwouk (a veteran of 2 Bond films) for granted as he seemed to be at every show a few years back. Very sadly he passed earlier this year and I never got to meet him, let alone get his auto- a regret I will always have...

I am a massive Bond fan as well and having a few official autographed trading cards I didn't see the point in getting these actors at conventions. I didn't really 'get' the convention scene for years and to my shame I walked past the Bond legend Richard Kiel too many times. I finally got a personalised auto from him at Milton Keynes 2012, for the sake or £15 or £20, or whatever it was. When he passed in 2014 I felt grateful I could look at the selfie I took at the time where he left me come behind the table and 'crushed' my head in his enormous hands.

Edited by Dent_1
  • Like 1

I think the prices are higher because of their ages. I know Dave Prowse charges £20 elsewhere as well.

And I believe he has had knee issues for a few years hence the Chewie double in Force Awakens.

To my mind £40 isn't a bad price at all

• Like 1

I am a massive Bond fan as well and having a few official autographed trading cards I didn't see the point in getting these actors at conventions. I didn't really 'get' the convention scene for years and to my shame I walked past the Bond legend Richard Kiel too many times. I finally got a personalised auto from him at Milton Keynes 2012, for the sake or £15 or £20, or whatever it was. When he passed in 2014 I felt grateful I could look at the selfie I took at the time where he left me come behind the table and 'crushed' my head in his enormous hands.

Kenny definitely had a no personalisation sign last year.

Kenny definitely had a no personalisation sign last year.

Yeah, you're definitely right. I've worked with Kenny before and his agent says he doesn't personalise just to clarify :-)