Attendee's Attire

Whether cosplay or 'regular' clothes, I wish that all attendee attire was simply clean. And worn with deodorant.

Can we make this convention law?

PLEASE.

I often wonder what I would think/how I would react if I were a guest at one of these things.

I am biased as an attendee of these events that I think celebs should engage with their fans, without whom they wouldn't have their careers and wealth. That said, I think I would genuinely struggle with meeting some of the fans who attend.

Brent Spiner springs to mind as a guest who has hand santizer on his table and goes with the fist-bumps because he prefers not to shake hands. I am of much the same mindset but unlike Brent who puts in the effort to put his arm around people in his photoshoots, I think I would be the type to stand there inanimate with everyone just so I didn't have to touch the odd few who reek. The stench of some people is truly offensive and I do not understand how some people can leave the house in such a state. They should be ashamed of themselves. If you can afford to pay for autographs, soap and water will not break the bank.

But forget what I think, I would have thought the fan would want their hero/idol to not be disgusted by them?

It was at one Collectormania that a friend sensed body odour, yet I did not.

I've not had any problems as I usually only go for one day.

Since I'll be going to all three days, it probably wouldn't hurt for me to bring a can of deodorant just in case.

Whether cosplay or 'regular' clothes, I wish that all attendee attire was simply clean. And worn with deodorant.

PLEASE.

I often wonder what I would think/how I would react if I were a guest at one of these things.

I am biased as an attendee of these events that I think celebs should engage with their fans, without whom they wouldn't have their careers and wealth. That said, I think I would genuinely struggle with meeting some of the fans who attend.

Brent Spiner springs to mind as a guest who has hand santizer on his table and goes with the fist-bumps because he prefers not to shake hands. I am of much the same mindset but unlike Brent who puts in the effort to put his arm around people in his photoshoots, I think I would be the type to stand there inanimate with everyone just so I didn't have to touch the odd few who reek. The stench of some people is truly offensive and I do not understand how some people can leave the house in such a state. They should be ashamed of themselves. If you can afford to pay for autographs, soap and water will not break the bank.

But forget what I think, I would have thought the fan would want their hero/idol to not be disgusted by them?

Plus 10,000!

It is almost as if some attendees actually go out of their way to stink and wear clothes that are covered in food and other stains (god only knows what these might be and how long since they've been near a washing machine!)

Sure it gets hot at these events but these offenders are several levels worse than the usual perspiring attendee. I think we've all had unfortunate encounters with these stinkers when getting around the hall!

I remember queuing for Mads Mikkelsen some years back at LFCC and a guy behind me absolutely reeked of BO and a fish like stench. What was just as bad was that he kept repeating the words "Ah Meester Bond" in varying manners of speech over and over again like some poor mans Bond villain, annoying everyone in the queue.

He was clearly a nut case and it's people like this that give fan communities a bad name...god knows what poor Mads thought when he met him!

PLEASE.

Plus 10,000!

It is almost as if some attendees actually go out of their way to stink and wear clothes that are covered in food and other stains (god only knows what these might be and how long since they've been near a washing machine!)

Sure it gets hot at these events but these offenders are several levels worse than the usual perspiring attendee. I think we've all had unfortunate encounters with these stinkers when getting around the hall!

I remember queuing for Mads Mikkelsen some years back at LFCC and a guy behind me absolutely reeked of BO and a fish like stench. What was just as bad was that he kept repeating the words "Ah Meester Bond" in varying manners of speech over and over again like some poor mans Bond villain, annoying everyone in the queue.

He was clearly a nut case and it's people like this that give fan communities a bad name...god knows what poor Mads thought when he met him!

Having worked in various retail jobs for several years, these people sound like the kind of customers I used to deal with every. single. day. We would get through several bottles of hand sanitizer a week dealing with these people.

PLEASE.

Plus 10,000!

Having worked in various retail jobs for several years, these people sound like the kind of customers I used to deal with every. single. day. We would get through several bottles of hand sanitizer a week dealing with these people.

Thats the curse of retail. I have an old guy who comes by every day and just stinks im constantly backing away in case he tries to touch me. People have a weird need to touch retail staff.

Back on topic i do feel sorry for guests when you can see them trying to hide digusted look on their faces.

With the compressed cans of deodorant available there is really no excuse

Since I'll be going to all three days, it probably wouldn't hurt for me to bring a can of deodorant just in case.

Is that meant to be serious or ironic?

If you're going on what is a least a 3-day trip, surely there would be a trip to the shower at least once given the long hot days at conventions? So yeah, I'd say it "probably wouldn't hurt" to bring deodorant. I'd say more of a no-brainer actually.

I am always paranoid about how I smell because I'm a sweaty person, so therefore I refresh my perfume a lot, especially at a convention

But I guess it doesn't only go for people who smell bad but I imagine a person(me) being a walking perfume store isn't necessarily pleasant either?

That's what I plan on doing. But I'm told the smell of Lush has seeped into my skin and blood permanently though, so hopefully that means I'm safe.

Which Lush? I am using one too ;)

Lush in general, since I work there. I don't smell it on myself! But last year at Collectormania somebody excitedly asked me if I was wearing their Karma perfume, which I was. :)

That's what I plan on doing. But I'm told the smell of Lush has seeped into my skin and blood permanently though, so hopefully that means I'm safe.

Which Lush? I am using one too ;)

Lush in general, since I work there. I don't smell it on myself! But last year at Collectormania somebody excitedly asked me if I was wearing their Karma perfume, which I was. :)
Omg you are so lucky!!! I love their stuff so amazing and crazy expensive lol

I am always paranoid about how I smell because I'm a sweaty person, so therefore I refresh my perfume a lot, especially at a convention

But I guess it doesn't only go for people who smell bad but I imagine a person(me) being a walking perfume store isn't necessarily pleasant either?

B.O. is pretty bad but with me being allergic/asthmatic perfume tends to be worse (gives me migraine and so on). I don't ever use perfume but I always use deodorant and that's pretty much enough (despite me being a sweaty person too). I also carry wet wipes and wipe off every now and again and then re-apply deodorant. Works well as far as people tell me. :)

I always carry a pack of mints and have one in the queue, several people have said to me 'oh that's a good idea'. I don't drink much when I'm at events and lack of water does have a negative effect on my mouth unfortunately, so mints are a must.

I always carry a pack of mints and have one in the queue, several people have said to me 'oh that's a good idea'. I don't drink much when I'm at events and lack of water does have a negative effect on my mouth unfortunately, so mints are a must.

Me also, my body reacts badly to lack of fluids but I have to offset it against needing a wee (health condition heightens this). Extra Strong mints at the ready

If you're going on what is a least a 3-day trip, surely there would be a trip to the shower at least once given the long hot days at conventions? So yeah, I'd say it "probably wouldn't hurt" to bring deodorant. I'd say more of a no-brainer actually.

Especially as such events tend to be very hot and sweaty.

The thing is, if you are attending all weekend and staying in a hotel or B&B, how hard is it to get up 30 minutes earlier and have a shower??

I for one shower (at least) once a day if I'm at a con or so but if one suffers from (for example) hyperhidrosis, a shower in the morning won't be enough. So while yeah, a shower is a must but some people do have a condition.

• Like 1

What I actually meant was that my friend sensed body odour from others, not myself who did not sense such repugnant smells.

I always take a shower the night before the day of the event, so a shower on Thursday evening for me.