Budgets for LFCC

This year I am lucky enough to be able to spend a lot more than I did last year. I'm curious what the average spend is for people at LFCC as I seem to remember talking to people queuing last year who spent a lot

I always pre plan with a list of must haves, backups and bonus buys. I only take what I am going to spend and never ever take a credit/debit card. Too tempting.

• Like 2

I literally work out how much I need based on the guests I'm meeting, add £20 for Funkos ( :D) and take that.

I can't afford to spend anymore than I need to (I know technically I don't need to spend anything, but.......shut up).

• Like 1

Does anyone know roughly what the dearest diamond might be this year

sigh....you know what you're going to be told about this question. You know the price of the Diamond guests that have been announced so far and no one in the know is going to give any indication of forth coming diamond guests. If they were ready to release that info they really aren't going to do it in the middle of a thread - they would just announce the guest with all associated info. You aren't going to have anyone from Showmasters come on here and post "we are going to have a Diamond guest who is going to set you back elebenty hundred squids".

Edited by Raylenth

Does anyone know roughly what the dearest diamond might be this year

sigh....you know what you're going to be told about this question. You know the price of the Diamond guests that have been announced so far and no one in the know is going to give any indication of forth coming diamond guests. If they were ready to release that info they really aren't going to do it in the middle of a thread - they would just announce the guest with all associated info. You aren't going to have anyone from Showmasters come on here and post "we are going to have a Diamond guest who is going to set you back elebenty hundred squids".

Elebenty hundred squids!!! I need to start saving more!

The average price is about £140 - £200 I think but it really can vary

Christopher Lloyd - £140

Ron Pearlman £145

Michael Gambon £175

Sigourney Weaver £395

Robert Englund £135

Jack Gleeson £125

Bill Paxton £195

Your all mad I tell you MAD ! lol

Personally I will NEVER buy a Diamond Pass with a big under line under the word NEVER !

2 reasons

Firstly its got something to do with pockets ( can say what as this post will be deleted )

Secondly I don't do photo shoots and I don't see why I should have to pay for something that I don't want or do. For a example MJF last year I didn't do his diamond as I didn't want the photo shoots how ever had SM done just a Autograph pass I would have :( And before any one starts shouting at me about MJF's condition etc it still doesn't explain why SM couldn't have done a auto only pass as I dare say there's one or two people out there who would have killed for a photo shoot and may be not for his autograph.

How ever I do like Kuato_Lives plan about if they have the money in the bank good idea lol

And like some others I never take my credit/debt card ! Once my money has gone it gone !

There's nothing wrong with the majority of what you have written here. The diamond passes aren't cheap and yes they may contain things that you don't want and therefore you do have to make a decision about whether to buy the package which includes things you don't want but you get the certainty of getting everything else included that you do want, or take a risk of not getting anything at all. Personally there's very few people I would buy a diamond pass for but if they were announced I would buy a diamond pass in a heartbeat. I appreciate the certainty of getting everything I want with relative ease. Yes the ticket would include things I'm not fussed about - one of my wants I've had a couple of photo shoots with before so I wouldn't be fussed if I didn't have another but the rest of the package out ways it for me and I would still have the photo because it's included.

Everyone's situation is different and if anyone can't justify spending that kind of money on meeting someone then at least they have made a sensible decision. At the end of the day we all have to weigh up our desire to meet these guests with real live practicality - it's really not worth getting yourselves in financial difficulty just to meet them, but if you really really want to, and can afford it with some scrimping and saving then go for it. I spent a huge amount for me at Sherlocked, far more than I have ever laid out at a convention/event before but I save for this very reason. I wanted to have the best event I could and take advantage of having most of the cast in one location in case it didn't happen again. We have never been told by anyone that 5 star guests would be cheap. It's understandable that these type of guests would cost more because if nothing else their fees are going to be a lot higher.

As an example have you seen the prices that Arnie charges for his meet and greets?

Your argument with SM over MJF is your own but it's like everything in life - they have their own reasons for the decisions they make and they don't have to justify it to us. No event organiser can run their events to meet the expectations and desires of every single attendee. That the set up hasn't worked for you with this guest is unfortunate but you either accept it and move on or continue to rail against something that isn't unjustified and isn't going to change to suit you. I'm sad that the platinum package holders could only get one auto with Benedict Cumberbatch at Sherlocked - I wouldn't have wanted loads so would have been very happy with just 2 but went into it knowing I could only get 1. I didn't argue with SM that seeing as he was only signing for the plat package holders would it really take that much longer to sign 2 items? I did express my disappointment but again they don't have to justify what may in fact be a decision of the guest themselves to us. I'm happy that I got what I did on that occasion, was very happy to pay for it and just hope I will be able to get him at another event and get him on a couple of cast signed posters.

Your all mad I tell you MAD ! lol

Personally I will NEVER buy a Diamond Pass with a big under line under the word NEVER !

2 reasons

Firstly its got something to do with pockets ( can say what as this post will be deleted )

Secondly I don't do photo shoots and I don't see why I should have to pay for something that I don't want or do. For a example MJF last year I didn't do his diamond as I didn't want the photo shoots how ever had SM done just a Autograph pass I would have :( And before any one starts shouting at me about MJF's condition etc it still doesn't explain why SM couldn't have done a auto only pass as I dare say there's one or two people out there who would have killed for a photo shoot and may be not for his autograph.

How ever I do like Kuato_Lives plan about if they have the money in the bank good idea lol

And like some others I never take my credit/debt card ! Once my money has gone it gone !

There's nothing wrong with the majority of what you have written here. The diamond passes aren't cheap and yes they may contain things that you don't want and therefore you do have to make a decision about whether to buy the package which includes things you don't want but you get the certainty of getting everything else included that you do want, or take a risk of not getting anything at all. Personally there's very few people I would buy a diamond pass for but if they were announced I would buy a diamond pass in a heartbeat. I appreciate the certainty of getting everything I want with relative ease. Yes the ticket would include things I'm not fussed about - one of my wants I've had a couple of photo shoots with before so I wouldn't be fussed if I didn't have another but the rest of the package out ways it for me and I would still have the photo because it's included.

Everyone's situation is different and if anyone can't justify spending that kind of money on meeting someone then at least they have made a sensible decision. At the end of the day we all have to weigh up our desire to meet these guests with real live practicality - it's really not worth getting yourselves in financial difficulty just to meet them, but if you really really want to, and can afford it with some scrimping and saving then go for it. I spent a huge amount for me at Sherlocked, far more than I have ever laid out at a convention/event before but I save for this very reason. I wanted to have the best event I could and take advantage of having most of the cast in one location in case it didn't happen again. We have never been told by anyone that 5 star guests would be cheap. It's understandable that these type of guests would cost more because if nothing else their fees are going to be a lot higher.

As an example have you seen the prices that Arnie charges for his meet and greets?

Your argument with SM over MJF is your own but it's like everything in life - they have their own reasons for the decisions they make and they don't have to justify it to us. No event organiser can run their events to meet the expectations and desires of every single attendee. That the set up hasn't worked for you with this guest is unfortunate but you either accept it and move on or continue to rail against something that isn't unjustified and isn't going to change to suit you. I'm sad that the platinum package holders could only get one auto with Benedict Cumberbatch at Sherlocked - I wouldn't have wanted loads so would have been very happy with just 2 but went into it knowing I could only get 1. I didn't argue with SM that seeing as he was only signing for the plat package holders would it really take that much longer to sign 2 items? I did express my disappointment but again they don't have to justify what may in fact be a decision of the guest themselves to us. I'm happy that I got what I did on that occasion, was very happy to pay for it and just hope I will be able to get him at another event and get him on a couple of cast signed posters.

Tell me about it, I would've gone to Sherlock if someone with a normal pass could've gotten an autograph. I thought it was rather unfair that photoshoots were no problem, but autographs were. But like you said, Showmasters make the decisions...

The diamond passes aren't cheap and yes they may contain things that you don't want and therefore you do have to make a decision about whether to buy the package which includes things you don't want but you get the certainty of getting everything else included that you do want, or take a risk of not getting anything at all. Personally there's very few people I would buy a diamond pass for but if they were announced I would buy a diamond pass in a heartbeat. I appreciate the certainty of getting everything I want with relative ease. Yes the ticket would include things I'm not fussed about - one of my wants I've had a couple of photo shoots with before so I wouldn't be fussed if I didn't have another but the rest of the package out ways it for me and I would still have the photo because it's included.

With MJF I could have potentially got all the other BTTF guests too, but I wouldn't think of getting all them without the main star - so I could have spent as much on his auto as the rest put together - but that wouldn't put me off. Obviously he can only do a limited number in one go, but they could have signed some in advance. He's done a few private signings since.

I'd never say never to Diamond if it was the right guest, but I'd still rather queue overnight (if required) for a good chance at just the auto. The package is great if you want both, but you can equally have people desperate for one or the other - having to buy both - with other people begging for the thing you don't want, and neither of you can do anything about it. That seems stupid to me. It costs no more, and takes no longer to sell those to two different people and have two happy customers rather than one who misses out, and another who's had to pay for something they've no interest in.

In theory could you decline to stand next to guest, and ask them to do a unique pose for your photo on their own? You've paid enough for the photo after all.

Back to the original question - it's generally gone down for me. Probably peaked at one month's wages down to half a week's. Alas they haven't really gone up much - just that in 10 years I've met most of the people I've wanted to already. I don't even go every year.

I agree with others here. I tot up how much i'm going to spend depending on who is announced before hand. Let's say there are around 6 - 10 guests that I want to meet prices ranging from £15 to say £45, this could come to between £150 and £450. I would try to buy the photo ops as soon as possible (1 reason to get best batch number so I can crack on with my day at the convention and another so that the cost is spred over many weeks/months before hand) and then work out whether or not i want autos of guests that have been announced and save up. Just because I'm having a photo doesn't necessarily mean I want their auto and vicaversa, but again there is a pattern and I tend to spend similar amounts on autos as I do photos. I agree with bringing cash not cards. I fell into that trap before and have found myself needlessly buying more merchandise than I either want or need. I defiantly am an impulse buyer.

I spent £125 last year on photos and about the same on autos. 5 photos and 7 autos. About £50 at the silent auction (wasn't even a proper silent auction but that is another gripe) and around £140 on t-shirts and novels. Plus extra for water (man it was a hot one last year) and lunch. So I think £500 is around the mark I would set myself again this year, BIG BUT though.

My misses has recently given birth and my money flow isn't what it used to be. Priorities change.

Work out your budget before hand and stick to it.

Take Cash not cards.

Enjoy yourself and don't get too excited over the must haves, if you can't afford them wait till you can. Nothing worse than coming home looking at your purchase thinking great but when you get home whishing you hadn't when the mortgage is due.

Sorry for the essay. Got carried away. Have a great con when it comes round guys. But just realised I've missed something in costing.... Entrance fee! just because it's the 1st thing paid out for doesn't mean it's not included in what you spend. So last years £500 is more like £550. Whoops. Been kidding myself for a year. Oh well.

• Like 1

I usually bring about £100-200 (depending on the event and any guests) for one day, plus some money for food.

I usually end up spending about half of it.

I will be attending all 4 days so I'll need to save and maybe spread my spending a bit.

• Like 1