Photographer feedback

I have to say that i dont agree that its just up to us to make sure the photos are right. We are paying a lot of money for a product and it should be supplied properly. Before the instant printing process was introduced i never had any issues with photos and reshoots were often requested by the photographers. We were told that the new process wouldnt lead to a loss in quality but that does not seem to be the case. However, is it worth it for the much easier collection system......probably :)

• Like 1

I was overall happy with my shoots with Lena and Kristianna, although my Lena shoot the Photo lady could of waited a split second longer as I was barely able to smile before she snapped it. The Instant Printing was amazing and my only grumble was that we have gone back to people handling the photos without gloves, this is fine if the person handing them out would hold them in the edges (of the paper not the edges of the face of the picture) but the lady handing them out was grabbing them between the thumb and index Finger.. Gloves Please next time ?

Actors do this all the time. They know photos don't always come out right. I really don't think asking politely for a reshoot needs to be a big hassle and I can't see any actor thinking badly of you for it.

True. At DSTL both Sir Patrick Stewart and Avery Brooks instantly asked for the pic with me to be retaken as they knew it wasn't right and they were both spot on when I saw the result. So far I've never had to ask myself but it's not a problem if you have to just as long as you don't do it 4 or 5 times etc.

• Like 1

I also agree with the points made re time constraints with regard to other shoots. I was in such a hurry for my DS9 group shot that I'd originally resigned myself to doing what I could with Photoshop on the lens flare in my David/K.I.T.T. shot. Fortunately, the latter photoshoot was still going when I got back, so I was able to do something about it. While I appreciate that the photographers are having to go like the clappers and possibly thinking that any errors can be corrected in reshoots, that's not always going to be possible when you've got to dash to the opposite side of the hall before you miss your next guest, so a few seconds to check more closely could save several precious minutes. Malcolm and Danielle were very good about that. While I know some post-production retouching did occasionally take place if errors came to light after the shoot, I'm pretty sure most were spotted and corrected then and there (I know a lot of mine were! Mainly due to my glasses ;) ).

The photographers do check - I heard a couple of times statements like "I think she has blinked" or "call him back". But with the amount of photos taken unfortunately sometimes stuff gets missed. All of the photographers are human and not perfect.

Some of the light issues mentioned do seem a problem related to the on site printing too. I had this with some of my shoots last year at least and when I bought the images they were okay. I am kind of curious to see if that is the reason this year too. That is actually one of the reasons why I am personally not 100 percent convinced of the on site printing system. While the old one certainly has its flaws it did allow for those little touch ups that could be done when the photos were sent away.

Please rest assured no one will ever hold it against you when you ask for a reshoot, and no one will consider you "that person." The whole team wants you to walk away happy. And if this on the site action will make you happy it is okay for everyone. It always makes me a little sad to see those threads when they are about an issue that could have been rectified in person. If you have a clash and the guest has a shoot another day you can still go up and explain and get the okay to come for a reshoot the next day.

• Like 1

All of mine with the DS9 actors & Amanda Tapping were taken in area A look really good, Armin Shimerman is very slightly over exposed, the DS9 Group is slightly dark to left of the Picture which at £85.00 is a little disappointing. All in all a good day thanks to guests & crew alike and especially Aron Eisenberg he was awesome.

The photographers do check - I heard a couple of times statements like "I think she has blinked" or "call him back". But with the amount of photos taken unfortunately sometimes stuff gets missed. All of the photographers are human and not perfect.

Fair enough - looking at my latest post I did generalize more than I intended - apologies! (I'm a bit zombiefied today.) In my original post, however, I singled out the Lena/Peter shoot because I didn't see Giles checking his camera for the shots of those attendees in front of me (perhaps I blinked and missed it?), so was praying I'd got the angle of my glasses right first time. Most of the time, the photographers did check. Obviously, I'm not the one looking in the camera viewer, so can't comment on what the photographer can and cannot see, but I've had a fair few SM photoshoots over the years now (yes, I'm getting old, ahem) and it did strike me that Malcolm and Danielle spotted a lot of errors in my shoots straight away, which rarely seems to happen these days, so I've had a quite a few reshoots (thank goodness for instant printing). Not sure whether there was more post-production going on back then than I realized or whether I just got lucky...!

It was only the Lena & Peter shoot I had the issue with. I had other pictures at the event and they were fine... OK i may not be 100% happy with me in them but when do we ever really like pictures of ourselves? It was only that one and I accept full responsibilty for not getting them both re-done but as I said I had already had 2 taken so to make a fuss and demand 2 more in front of the actors would have made me feel so foolish I decided not to bother and write the whole thing off as a bad experience never to be repeated. Such is life. I guess it's also the case that had it been a photo on Saturday I would probably have gone back on Sunday for a re-shoot, but as it was Sunday that wasn't an option. That is not a criticsm though, I relaise how difficult it must be to try and timetable all the photoshoots in.

My two Peter Dinklage photos are both AWFUL. I agree, I was not impressed with photo shoots this year. It was one of many issues. Last year's LFCC was far more enjoyable. I much preferred last year's venue too - this one you couldn't move in and you couldn't escape up to the balcony like last year. Also everyone was more hurried - with guests and with photos.

Also the MC said you could get multiple Mortal Instruments things signed at the panel so I bought two books. I was only allowed to get ONE signed.

I did comment that the photos were awful at the time and the staff didn't seem to care.

Edited by sarahlilly

• Moderators

There may have been a lack of balcony, but I'm surprised you had space issues. I found it to be the most spacious it ever has been at that event.

Anyway back to the photo thing - while it would be nice that every photo came out perfectly, it doesn't take that long to get a reshoot if one is asked for. I've done it myself.

I had a photo on the Iron Throne on Sunday and my friend had a photo with Jason Momoa (Photo Area C, I think?) and both were excellent.

** Iron Throne specific comments

My photo was very well lit and clear. He was very quick and the line moved fast, but I didn't feel rushed. I saw the photographer check all the Iron Throne photos before giving them out, and in particular saw him check with the person before me whether they were happy because the photographer was concerned that there was a mark on the side of the print. The person hadn't even noticed, but the photographer offered to reprint. I was very impressed with this, particularly given that it was about 5:30pm on the Sunday and he must have been exhausted!

** Jason Momoa specific comments

This was partly Jason Momoa being awesome, but it was great to see that lots of different poses were being used and Jason was happy to do pretty much anything. It was excellent to see that the photographer was working with whatever Jason and the photo subject wanted, and making it look good. Just what a photographer should do! My friend asked Jason to look her in the eyes for the photo and he joked and said "Look *you* in the eyes? Of course I will!" and winked, and then when there was a 10 second pause while the photographer sorted out the camera focus, Jason did a fake growl air-bite thing at my friend to make her laugh, and the photographer has captured the BEST photo - right after that, both of them smiling at each other! Really clear photo, with excellent lighting, and both my friend and (of course) Jason look amazing. Very impressed and well worth the money (it was my birthday present to her, so extra special!).

Also the MC said you could get multiple Mortal Instruments things signed at the panel so I bought two books. I was only allowed to get ONE signed.

Sorry but the MC was incorrect going by the announcement post

http://showmastersonline.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80951&st=0

Jamie and Cassie will be signing 1 item per person on presentation of a valid talk ticket.

Please note: this will have to be an item of your own as there will be no 10x8s provided. There will be a selection if Cassie's books available to purchase at the event as well as other Mortal Instruments Merchandise.

Yes I agaree with much of what you say Sarahlilly, Last year did seem like it had less urgency about it, although the Gillian Anderson shoot was abit of a mess in terms of the queueing process I thought. The venue last year had pros and cons versus this year, I though there was more space to break out into last time and it was cool having different sections to explore, but this year was cooler (I hate to think what it would have been like in Olympia in 28 degree heat) and more straightforward in layout. I got the impression that some people werent happy with the queueing system getting in this year, although we came without tickets on Saturday and got in within about 25 mins.

If anyone went both days, was it as busy Sunday as Saturday?

Edited by spookyuk

Over the three days I managed a Total of 56 photo shoots (Yes 56) The Three photographers were Tops, I think they might of been sick in seeing me turn up each time.. But hey, I paid and don't get autographs so I enjoy meeting the stars this way. I had no problems with the shoots. I noticed they all checked each photo and telling people to Reshoot if it don't come out well (happened to me a couple of times, No fuss) if they did miss it the staff handing over the photos also check and asked if you wanted a Reshoot to which no fuss the people just went around again... I cant comment on the Props photos as I didn't do those maybe things were different there. For the Photographers 10/10. I am happy with all my photos. :dance:

Over the three days I managed a Total of 56 photo shoots (Yes 56) The Three photographers were Tops, I think they might of been sick in seeing me turn up each time.. But hey, I paid and don't get autographs so I enjoy meeting the stars this way. I had no problems with the shoots. I noticed they all checked each photo and telling people to Reshoot if it don't come out well (happened to me a couple of times, No fuss) if they did miss it the staff handing over the photos also check and asked if you wanted a Reshoot to which no fuss the people just went around again... I cant comment on the Props photos as I didn't do those maybe things were different there. For the Photographers 10/10. I am happy with all my photos. :dance:

Nobody said that in the shoots I was in and when I was handed one and said it was awful, nothing was said.

I was fortunate to have some excellent and okay photoshoots

From the 8 photoshoots I had done 4 on Friday (2 in Area A and B and 2 in Area C) and on Saturday (3 in A and B and 1 in C

I came the conclusion over the 2 days I was attending that Area C maybe was not as well lit (photos slightly on the dark side, backdrop not a vibrant blue colour like the Area A and B and there was more shadow in my 3 photos from Photo area C (Friday and Saturday).

Fortunately all my photos taken were well framed by the photographers. My first 2 photos taken on Friday at the time from Area C looked okay to me (Amanda Tapping, and then Sarah Wayne Callies), but when compared them with the later excellent photos achieved in Area A and B (Danny Glover and David Hasselhoff) that I felt they could have been at the same standard.

I tend to get my all my photo's signed by the guest and Amanda and Sarah photos from Area C were a bit on the dark side.

Generally the photos for me in Area A and B on both Fri and Sat were more vibrant. Is there a way of automatically applying an auto correct on each image prior to printing just like some home printer software such as Kodak provide one button auto correct/adjust functionality that auto corrects lots of different variables such as over exposure or shadow etc (Kodak Perfect Touch technology) or something similar.

Generally found the photo shoots to be excellent but was wishing the colour/lighting could be more consistent. I am no photographer so can only imagine how difficult this may be to achieve.

Edited by BigDave

Some of the light issues mentioned do seem a problem related to the on site printing too. I had this with some of my shoots last year at least and when I bought the images they were okay. I am kind of curious to see if that is the reason this year too.
I have experienced the same last years events - printed copy appears overexposed but the actual levels on the digital copies that I purchased show that exposure is correct.

This weekend, with the exception of the DS9 group shot, and Hasselhoff/KITT the prints from areas A and B again appear slightly overexposed to me, not as much as last year. I suspect when I purchase the original digital images they will be exposed correctly.

Most of my photos from the weekend are great and I'm very pleased with them as usual. And I'd like to thank all three photographers I saw in areas A B and C over the weekend (particularly Chantal for my ace Tom Hopper photo!) for a great job.

But a small handful did not come out very well. In those few, skin tones look unnatural (too red / pink) and whites are too bright. This was the same with a few photos taken at Milton Keynes this year, as some of us posted after that event.

If either the guest or I was blinking, or similar, I'd like to think I'd feel able to ask to go round again (it's not been an issue so far, thankfully, as the photographers have been great at checking for that).

But when all the photos (or at least those that I saw being handed over to other fans as I was waiting to get mine) come out looking the same, getting the photo taken again is unlikely to help. Likewise, I can't imagine that the checks that the photographer does on the back of the screen after each photo would identify that there might be a problem with the printed photo.

I know the photographers take a couple of test photos at the start of each shoot with a guest, maybe a few more test prints of different people and coloured tops might also be useful each time the printers are started up or when different cameras are connected (?). It can't be nice for the photographers to know that people are unhappy afterwards, particularly if the problem actually lies with something to do with the printing!

I'm not knocking the on-site printing, I think it is great. It's lovely to get the photo straight away it makes the photo experience with the guest last just that little bit longer when I have the photo to look at for a bit before putting it safely away!! And it's super convenient not to have to stay until the very end on Sunday to wait for photos to come back on weekends where I could do with getting an earlier train!

But I personally wonder if there maybe a quality issue that could do with a bit of attention for the future.

I really, really liked the collect-it-instantly facility. That's a huge improvement on last year.

(I totally understand when people feel too awkward to ask for reshoots, and I'm sorry some people had poor experiences. My kid's photos came out lovely, thank goodness.)

Does the guest specify to the photographer at the beginning whether it is a headshot or a full-length? I noticed that Jason Momoa was having full-length shots, but Amanda Tapping head shots.

I think part of the issue was the fact that the photographer was sat down at Peter's height so the lighting and camera settings were set to his perspective.

Also the old photo team (Somethimes we do miss Malcolm) did check each photo and call you back if there was an issue simply because each photo had to be sent off for processing. The new system of instant processing has maybe made the photographers a little lazy at the expense of speed.

If I'd had the fore-thought to get down to Peter's level (Jeans can easliy be washed) I think that I would have had a better photo. An alternative would have been to raise Peter up or have Peter sat in a chair with Lena and the member of teh public standing behind.

I hope that if such a situation occurs in the future some more thought might be taken.

Personally I also found the pranking around a little annoying, I know it makes for a unique picture, but some of us would just like a nice momento of the experince and we are teh one's paying for this.

As for asking for a re-take, some of us more reserved people feel embarresed or upset to ask for a re-shoot.

• Like 1

Personally I also found the pranking around a little annoying, I know it makes for a unique picture, but some of us would just like a nice momento of the experince and we are teh one's paying for this.

I was happy to see, eg, Jason Momoa pranking around when someone wanted it (he very obligingly beat someone around the head with a foam sword for their picture, when they asked for it), but just being adorable when they didn't. It made each photo seem like a lovely, individual thing, not just another on the conveyor belt.

Momoa was the best experience of all the cons I've been to for photos. It was superb. That guy didn't ask to be hit btw! Just to pose :D The awesome Mystique cosplayer in front of him had a grope of his pecs, lots of laughs and unique photos!

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but since Star Trek London there seems to be a higher amount of photos that cut off the arms at the left or right, as if we're standing too far over. I couldn't quite understand this until, at LFCC it struck me. The infamous white line that we need to wait at is too close in some photo areas. This means the photograper has to be careful not to get the person at the side in the shot (despite crew saying that it's fine and we will not be in shot standing on the line). This could also be the reason for more head shots in recent months over head to waist shots. Maybe I'm wrong (seems a coincidence that the cropped edge alternates depending on where the white line is), but there has been a real increase in right or left-aligned photos.

As for the quality, unfortunately with the technology we have so far, instant prints are never going to look as perfect as the old photos we used to get, but having said that, they still look really good. Just the flesh-tones seem to be a bit off sometimes. When you consider it's the price to pay for instant photos, I am definitely in favour of instant collection.

I'm sorry to hear that some people are disappointed with their photos, I like others would of complained and would of asked for a re-shoot.

You pay good money for these sort of things and these things may only happen once (having that particular guest at the show) so I wouldn't care and would simply demand a re-shoot

It was a rather hot weekend and when I was at the show was so hot and tired it was really getting to me, at times I was really feeling like I was going to faint from it all lol

On top of that though I hadn't had chance to eat since the morning (I went on Friday) and had been up and rushing about since 5am so at 6-7pm I was fed up from it all lol

However, I had paid good money to get in and to even get to the event so I was determined to enjoy myself and I'm a rather shy person in all fairness but I somehow managed to ask for a hug from Norman and to shake hands with him and the other guests I met, which for me was rather difficult not because of who they are but because of the way I am (I'm autistic/selective mute) so I was pleased it all happened well and proud of myself for asking for a hug and such lol

So my point is if your not happy with something or feel like things could of been better if you asked or did something about it, then DO it don't be afraid to ask. You pay good money for these things!

Anywho I didn't get a photoshoot with anyone as I couldn't afford to (what with autographs too lol) and it was my first Showmaster event I had been to so didn't know what to expect exactly

I do have questions regarding these things tho

1) Who is in charge of these photoshoots? do the guests demand no posed pictures and just opt for proper photoshoots? or is it mainly Showmasters like they get who they think is going to be the main/big guests at the show and put them in boxes (well it looked like a box lol) and demand no posed pictures?

Who gets the money from it?

2) Slightly off topic but I'll ask anyway. If I had brought my own stuff to get signed from home and such do I still have to pay say £30 to get it signed despite it being my item and not one of those pictures you can get as you go to get the autographs?

I'll be honest I'm not a big fan of these photoshoots (might be because at other cons I have been to you can get the person your with or someone in line to take a photo there and then and I'm just used to that) but it all just seems annoying. No posed photos unless its done by a ''professional'' photographer, which is obviously more money and I'm on a tight wage as it is lol

Don't the ''photographers'' ask if people are ready before the pictures are taken? then maybe some of these misfortune issues are avoided?

Why cant we have the option people pay extra for proper photos and those that are not that bothered just have them taken at the signing desk? instead it seems that if your in one of those boxes that you are simply allowed no photos with them regardless. What is with some guests being in boxes and others aren't lol

Anyway sorry for anything that seems odd or whatever I'm still rather new to all of this so..

Edited by Sassy1988