Using London Underground on my own for the first time...

This weekend I'll be using London Underground on my own for the first time and to put it nicely, I'm bricking it. I hate the underground but it's the only way I have off getting there. I'll be coming from Waterloo to Kensington Olympia on both Saturday and Sunday. I'm not really sure what I'm asking but was just wondering if anyone had any tips/advice or was in a similar position?

Take the northern line 1 stop to Embankment, then change to the district line for 7 stops to Earls court and then get the Olympia underground train just 1 stop

Just relax, that's my main advice. Missed a train? Next one will be along soon. Keep in mind, everyone is just trying to get where they're going, and asking for help is always a good idea if you do get confused.

Hope it all goes smoothly!

i'm sure you will be fine i used to hate the underground but use it a lot now and it doesn't bother me.. best advice make sure you grab a tube map incase you do get off the wrong stop you know where you are and dont panic..

I'm in the same boat, I'm also getting the underground from Waterloo to the event. I've done the underground before but never by myself so I'm freaking out a little. I have the underground app for my phone so I don't get lost! :P

I actually prefer the Underground to buses. At least you know where you're going to stop! Pay attention to eastbound vs. westbound, northbound vs. southbound and you shouldn't go wrong, and as Murph said, get off the main District Line at Earl's Court and then look for the dedicated District Line train that's going to Kensington Olympia. If you've been before, you'll know that there are lots of message boards and wall maps to help you find your way. And in the unlikely event that you end up on the wrong train, it's very easy to hop off, grab a train going in the opposite direction and come back, so don't worry.

• Like 1

Embankment and Earls Court are easy stations to use for this trip so relax and enjoy, i'm sure you will see lots more of us going the same way :)

Tonight is going to be more fun as not shuttle from Earls court.

Edited by Alric

Thanks for all the advice/help. I'm as prepared as I can be so hopefully everything goes OK!

i'm sure you will see lots more of us going the same way :)

I'm hoping I see someone who is obviously on their way to the con so I can just sneakily follow them LOL.

I actually prefer the Underground to buses. At least you know where you're going to stop! Pay attention to eastbound vs. westbound, northbound vs. southbound and you shouldn't go wrong, and as Murph said, get off the main District Line at Earl's Court and then look for the dedicated District Line train that's going to Kensington Olympia. If you've been before, you'll know that there are lots of message boards and wall maps to help you find your way. And in the unlikely event that you end up on the wrong train, it's very easy to hop off, grab a train going in the opposite direction and come back, so don't worry.

When you say get off at earls court and get district line train to event is that still I tube or a litteral train? And I assume as long as you have paid for a day travel card it's valid on that too. Sorry if dumb, not from London

When you say get off at earls court and get district line train to event is that still I tube or a litteral train? And I assume as long as you have paid for a day travel card it's valid on that too. Sorry if dumb, not from London

Not a dumb question at all! As Liessa said, it's Underground, and a one-day Travelcard will get you all around the Underground zones. If you look at a Tube map you'll see the relevant stops on the District Line - the green one, which is dotted green-and-white for the Earl's Court/Kensington (Olympia) stop because it's a special line. You can also use your Travelcard on the other public services, such as buses, if you end up having to take one of them.

Buses should also accept your non-Travelcard rail tickets if you're going on a service that would normally be available on the route but isn't due to engineering works, like the Overground, but if you look at the Transport for London (TfL) website, it'll give you all the timings, routes and alternative services you need. Also, most Underground trains are pretty frequent, but the dedicated ones may take a little longer, so it might be worth working out your route to ensure you get there on time. When I first tried to do this, the TfL website didn't even mention the District Line (thanks to MrsEllacott for reminding me of that - I really should have twigged but sometimes it's nice to have someone point things out), so plan your route in chunks, i.e. home to nearest convenient London station (Waterloo, Clapham Junction, Wimbledon), then from there to Earl's Court, and after that, from Earl's Court to Kensington (Olympia).

(I'm not from London either, so I understand the joys of getting to grips with the unfamiliar.)

Travelcard covers it. You need to go much further for Central London for travelcard not to be valid!

Yes, it is still a tube!