latest guest announcement - GILLIAN ANDERSON

Hi

I've been a fan of Gillian's for over 15 years and been to almost every event she's attended so I thought I might be able to provide some advice.

FHM Mag - she doesn't like this magazine shoot, she's commented a lot on it over the years but I really wouldn't worry about her refusing to sign it, she's signed plenty of them. When she goes to these events (and she's done several XF fan events in the USA in recent years) she's happy to sign anything that isn't some weird sexual manip! She's got a good sense of humour, we've joked about the XF p 0 rn parody with her, she's not going to hate you because you show her a copy of FHM!!

Refusing to sign XF stuff - she did refuse to sign for a few years after she left TXF and I think, understandably, she has refused to sign XF stuff at appearances for other projects - at the stagedoor of her plays or at other film premieres etc, but she signed everything and anything XF related at the recent USA events.

Personalisation - Gillian prefers to personalise the things she signs because it means they aren't going to be sold on ebay! I've seen her question people that didn't want things personalised before (not that she is likely to do that to you!). I'm not saying 100% she will personalise her signings, because I guess it's down to time constraints, but I think it's very likely she will ask people their names and if you ask her to personalise it I would be incredibly surprised if she didn't. She did refuse to write certain messages that she was requested to at other signings, but she will be polite about it and ask what you'd like her to write instead.

:D

I tend to get my photos personalised but would prefer to get my programme and dvd cover unpersonalised.

Would Gillian do this or does she personalise all the time/

Corey Feldman was like that last year insisting on personalising everything which I think is great. In fact when I was in the queue a person actually wanted a refund and refused his auto because they didn't want a personalisation which I found quite intriguing.

Hmm, well its up to the guest in this case I would say.

But Im thrilled of the news of her wanting to personalise, sounds really awesome! :)

Hi

I've been a fan of Gillian's for over 15 years and been to almost every event she's attended so I thought I might be able to provide some advice.

FHM Mag - she doesn't like this magazine shoot, she's commented a lot on it over the years but I really wouldn't worry about her refusing to sign it, she's signed plenty of them. When she goes to these events (and she's done several XF fan events in the USA in recent years) she's happy to sign anything that isn't some weird sexual manip! She's got a good sense of humour, we've joked about the XF p 0 rn parody with her, she's not going to hate you because you show her a copy of FHM!!

Refusing to sign XF stuff - she did refuse to sign for a few years after she left TXF and I think, understandably, she has refused to sign XF stuff at appearances for other projects - at the stagedoor of her plays or at other film premieres etc, but she signed everything and anything XF related at the recent USA events.

Personalisation - Gillian prefers to personalise the things she signs because it means they aren't going to be sold on ebay! I've seen her question people that didn't want things personalised before (not that she is likely to do that to you!). I'm not saying 100% she will personalise her signings, because I guess it's down to time constraints, but I think it's very likely she will ask people their names and if you ask her to personalise it I would be incredibly surprised if she didn't. She did refuse to write certain messages that she was requested to at other signings, but she will be polite about it and ask what you'd like her to write instead.

Thank you so much for this. Now I'd like to go even more. Need to win the lottery, it's the only way. xD

agreed, great informative post 10islane,

sophia, I hope you and all the ppl unsure if they can, can make it, what a guest and MEGA if you like the x files, I mean sometimes rare guests appear then they cant stop lol and are everywhere at loads of events but also sometimes a rare guest appears and its the 1 and only time. so its a risk if you choose not to or are unable to due to finances/work. maybe the only chance with her, in the uk at least, esp with xfiles items as it seems those are (and understandably so) no nos at stage doors and things with her.

the price tag is high (for me anyway) and has (so far) put me off getting 2 autographs, but I will deff do 1 auto on my fight the future poster and ive bought a photo shoot.

Well I'd just like to meet her. To me it's not that important if she signs X-files or other stuff to me. I just really would like to meet her. I got to know her from X-files but since then she is a whole person to me not just "Scully from X-files". But as things are now, it's not the time for me. By the time I'd have enough money for the tickets, they'll all be gone probably anyway.

So yeah, maybe I'll meet her one day after theatre. :)

lol yer she is only a half person to those only interested in the x files, lol

keep an eye on it, entry tickets wont sell out (i dont believe they ever have?) so autograph wise you will still have a chance even turning up on the day if early. but yer photo and talk tickets might sell out fast, or at least before the event.

LFCC is looking really good. hope everyone interested is able to make it

Yeah but once I payed for flight, hotel, insurance and all that it would be nice to get to go to the talk at least, not just the auto. :)

But anyway, we will see how fast will they run out of tickets. :)

• Moderators

Is there anyone from Showmasters who can answer this - personally as I said, there are some things I would just like her to sign .

Just thinking about my cast shot which other actors have just signed.

Information on personalisation isn't usually released until the event itself, so everyone will probably have to wait until then.

This is something that can change throughout the day as you know reddragon, but I'd be surprised if it were enforced personalisation on everything.

Is there anyone from Showmasters who can answer this - personally as I said, there are some things I would just like her to sign .

Information on personalisation isn't usually released until the event itself, so everyone will probably have to wait until then.

This is something that can change throughout the day as you know reddragon, but I'd be surprised if it were enforced personalisation on everything.

If she wants to personalise stuff, I think that is nice, but would you stop it cause it being more timeconsuming than not personalising (in order to let more people get autographs)?

If she wants to personalise stuff, I think that is nice, but would you stop it cause it being more timeconsuming than not personalising (in order to let more people get autographs)?
(As a last resort) SM will intervene and impose a 'ban' on personalising if time is likely to be an issue.

Hi

Thank you so much for this. Now I'd like to go even more. Need to win the lottery, it's the only way. xD

sophia, I hope you and all the ppl unsure if they can, can make it, what a guest and MEGA if you like the x files, I mean sometimes rare guests appear then they cant stop lol and are everywhere at loads of events but also sometimes a rare guest appears and its the 1 and only time. so its a risk if you choose not to or are unable to due to finances/work. maybe the only chance with her, in the uk at least, esp with xfiles items as it seems those are (and understandably so) no nos at stage doors and things with her.

the price tag is high (for me anyway) and has (so far) put me off getting 2 autographs, but I will deff do 1 auto on my fight the future poster and ive bought a photo shoot.

Well I'd just like to meet her. To me it's not that important if she signs X-files or other stuff to me. I just really would like to meet her. I got to know her from X-files but since then she is a whole person to me not just "Scully from X-files". But as things are now, it's not the time for me. By the time I'd have enough money for the tickets, they'll all be gone probably anyway.

keep an eye on it, entry tickets wont sell out (i dont believe they ever have?) so autograph wise you will still have a chance even turning up on the day if early. but yer photo and talk tickets might sell out fast, or at least before the event.

Thats rather a scathing comment "Only a half person to those only interested in the x files" I regard Gillian Anderson as a fine highly skilled Actress who is fully aware of her other work, especially her roles in Dickensian adaptions - when I see Gillian Anderson I dont automatically think "Scully Scully Scully." I'm proud that she Signed (without personalising) my copy of Bleak House, it just so happens that I know that this convention will be the one and only time that she will be signing X-Files and I certainly do not think of her as a half person.

Anyways, that said LFCC is going to be an amazing one.

I'm just thinking that I wouldn't want everything personalized but you are right, I'll have to wait until the day - thanks goodness for Gold Passes.

On the Corey Feldman thing, thats one reason why I didnt meet him. I have a cast shot from the goonies which everyone else has just signed. To______ from Corey would have looked out of place.

Corey Feldman was like that last year insisting on personalising everything which I think is great. In fact when I was in the queue a person actually wanted a refund and refused his auto because they didn't want a personalisation which I found quite intriguing.

I prefer personalisations and agreed Corey was nice like that looked up greeted you with a smile on his face and was very warm with it.

The whole personalising/not personalising is always an interesting one and for me its nice if people do do that because then its almost like an added sense of familiarity about it rather than you being just "Another" person - but thats how I feel on it. I wont object in the slightest if Gillian wants to personalise in fact I would Love her to, but its her perogative :)

Hi

:YAHOO:

Thats rather a scathing comment "Only a half person to those only interested in the x files" I regard Gillian Anderson as a fine highly skilled Actress who is fully aware of her other work, especially her roles in Dickensian adaptions - when I see Gillian Anderson I dont automatically think "Scully Scully Scully." I'm proud that she Signed (without personalising) my copy of Bleak House, it just so happens that I know that this convention will be the one and only time that she will be signing X-Files and I certainly do not think of her as a half person.

king richard, dude I was being sarcastic in reference to the whole person comment in the above post, read the convo!

sophia, sorry, I didnt know you would have to fly in for it :-( hope it works out for you though

Edited by timelord81r

Hi

:YAHOO:

king richard, dude I was being sarcastic in reference to the whole person comment in the above post, read the convo!

sophia, sorry, I didnt know you would have to fly in for it :-( hope it works out for you though

King Photoshoot, just reread this and this time I really fornicated up. And offer a full retraction :)

Agreed. I hope it does work out for you Sophia - in July I'm sure things will be much better and will be much easier for you so you can make it here to see Gillian, and dont worry about Timelord and I we're like bickering brothers who love each other - but in a heterosexual way. Seriously though I hope you can make it here :)

I've had an issue before with personalisations. When I met a previous guest I asked him not to personalise and he did and then clearly saw the disappointment on my face when I realised he had personalised it but basically accused me of wanting to sell it on ebay. I was quite disgusted, I have never and won't ever sell any of my autographs but they personalised on a group shot and I had to explain it just looked messy and took up all the picture and none of the other cast had personalised! As a fan I'm quite offended when people's first thought is that we just go and sell them! He apologised and did me another auto for free but the guest encounter was ruined and really put me off said guest.

I have 3 small post cards, one of which I would like Gillian to sign, unpersonalised so I can frame all 3 and put them up on my wall without them looking too cluttered and so you can still see the picture. I hope she won't have an issue with this.

Same Here Bunny.

I'd like my cast shot unpersonalized so hope she'll be okay with this.

Any idea if we can order autos on the shop the same as Jeri?

not that im any sort of authority on autos, photos are my game, but I find it a tricky thing, personalization's, sometimes I prefer them, sometimes I dont, I think its entirely down to the type of thing your are getting signed specifically the space on said item, something small with loads of "to rob" s on just looks messy, but on larger items or if its just the 1 auto the "to rob" looks good.

Ive always hated asking for the signature only, in my head all im thinking is, damn I hope they dont think im a dealer, I feel really bad,

one time i asked for it to be signed to me and the guest said are you sure, wont be worth as much, I said I dont want to sell it, its for me and tbh I felt a bit insulted, but at the same time I can fully understand some guests skepticism, I mean when I ask for the auto only I feel a bit rude. but hay, sometimes the item looks better without loads of to so and sos on. and sometimes it looks better with a to so and so.

my poster for gillian, ive not decided if id like a personalization on or not tbh

Same Here Bunny.

I'd like my cast shot unpersonalized so hope she'll be okay with this.

Any idea if we can order autos on the shop the same as Jeri?

not that im any sort of authority on autos, photos are my game, but I find it a tricky thing, personalization's, sometimes I prefer them, sometimes I dont, I think its entirely down to the type of thing your are getting signed specifically the space on said item, something small with loads of "to rob" s on just looks messy, but on larger items or if its just the 1 auto the "to rob" looks good.

Ive always hated asking for the signature only, in my head all im thinking is, damn I hope they dont think im a dealer, I feel really bad,

one time i asked for it to be signed to me and the guest said are you sure, wont be worth as much, I said I dont want to sell it, its for me and tbh I felt a bit insulted, but at the same time I can fully understand some guests skepticism, I mean when I ask for the auto only I feel a bit rude. but hay, sometimes the item looks better without loads of to so and sos on. and sometimes it looks better with a to so and so.

my poster for gillian, ive not decided if id like a personalization on or not tbh

I agree with you - thats my thinking as well, there are some things I would like personalizations on and others I wouldnt.

I've had an issue before with personalisations. When I met a previous guest I asked him not to personalise and he did and then clearly saw the disappointment on my face when I realised he had personalised it but basically accused me of wanting to sell it on ebay. I was quite disgusted, I have never and won't ever sell any of my autographs but they personalised on a group shot and I had to explain it just looked messy and took up all the picture and none of the other cast had personalised! As a fan I'm quite offended when people's first thought is that we just go and sell them! He apologised and did me another auto for free but the guest encounter was ruined and really put me off said guest.

I prefer personalisation, but I must say I've never understood why some guests get suspicious when someone just wants a plain signature. At a theatre door or something? Sure, they should be on their guard there, where some people will likely be looking to profit from their generosity. But when someone has paid for them to sign something, the dynamic should be very different.

At shows like these, 99 per cent of autographs go to fans. And those that don't have been paid for, so even if they do end up being sold the guest has had their cut. It's rare that in-person autographs (ie, the ones we buy from the guests) are sold at the shows for much below market value. And with so many signatures suddenly 'released into the wild' at these shows, eBay prices are more likely to go down than up.

Guests worrying about eBay at paid signing events has long been a head-scratcher to me.

(As a last resort) SM will intervene and impose a 'ban' on personalising if time is likely to be an issue.

Well that sends me signals that I should go for Gillian the first thing I do... To be on the safe side. Cause I think that its gonna be very busy, :)

Btw, how many autographs did Alex Kingston sign? Cause I remember goin to here late in the day and I got a personalised anyways even though she was very busy.

one time i asked for it to be signed to me and the guest said are you sure, wont be worth as much, I said I dont want to sell it, its for me and tbh I felt a bit insulted
I wouldn't feel insulted as I doubt the guest was suggesting that you were going to go and flog it on eBay before sundown; I would suggest that it was more likely that the guest was referring to the longer term investment value. Suppose in ten or twenty years you need money for an urgent operation or for the deposit on a house or to pay for something else urgent or important - or maybe you just lose interest in your collection, or perhaps you want to leave it to somebody as an inheritance. Then generally as an unpersonalised signature it will be worth more than one personalised to you (unless of course you yourself become famous too!). You may think now that you'll never sell this stuff, but you don't know what's round the corner, be it next week or next decade. Strikes me that the guest was just trying to look out for you, not insult you. And yes, you may be one person who says they'll never sell it, but some people do treat this primarily as a hobby with half an eye on the investment potential.

I've heard of some actors and actresses insisting on personalising in some situations, perhaps if people ask for more than one photo to be signed, to stop them ending up on ebay, but I'd be extremely suprised if Ms Anderson insisted on personalising at an event like this - I think it's much more likely that unpersonalised autographs would be fine, with the option for personalisations if there's time :)

Edited by Spookie

Just thought i would say that last year at EMS me and my girlfriend were told Gillian was at the Johnny English 2 premiere where we got two unpersonalised autographs from. So to be honest i think getting non personalised ones shouldnt be a massive problem. Also she was so amazing and lovely and a geuine pleasure to meet. From what i heard one premiere organiser said to her we have to go in and she replied, at least i think, i want to sign some more for my fans. That was so lovely. Also i will be going to this con for Gillian because i want a x files pic signed non personalised so i can get david to sign it too. Her announcement is so unique because she never signs x files stuff without David, as so many dealers have told me at the cons.Never know that might mean a Mulder announcement soon lol fingers crossed.

Sorry about any mistakes have the flu n doin this on my mobile

Edited by dc14g10

Just thought i would say that last year at EMS me and my girlfriend were told Gillian was at the Johnny English 2 premiere where we got two unpersonalised autographs from. So to be honest i think getting non personalised ones shouldnt be a massive problem. Also she was so amazing and lovely and a geuine pleasure to meet. From what i heard one premiere organiser said to her we have to go in and she replied, at least i think, i want to sign some more for my fans. That was so lovely. Also i will be going to this con for Gillian because i want a x files pic signed non personalised so i can get david to sign it too. Her announcement is so unique because she never signs x files stuff without David, as so many dealers have told me at the cons.Never know that might mean a Mulder announcement soon lol fingers crossed.

Sorry about any mistakes have the flu n doin this on my mobile

I was at the same Premiere (not sure if you're the couple who came over from Belgium or not) and totally agree with you, Gillian was really Lovely and I remember the pushing and shoving that came with it, but like you say she did Sign and because of the fact that it was a Premiere and thus rushed she didnt personalise, in an instant like that its very much a rushed affair and in that instance its nice to actually meet them and for them to sign.

Theres quite a few people who would very much agree with you on the fact that another announcement may happen - as with all these cons guests can be announced right up to the last minute and we just dont know how it will turn out that is to say if we have Scully... Imagine if we had Mulder as well, that would be so epic.

I would be very happy for a personalisation from Gillian. I like having my name on the photo as it goes to show that I actually meet here rather than just purchased the Autograph from a store (having a picture or photo shoot is a good back up to that).

The only photo I have that isn't, is from Ronny Cox, when I was working as his security at a SG Con he filmed an election skit, and he signed a photo we had made to me as "Senator Kinsey" and he joked that he didn't want to see it on Ebay, but how a fan would want to sell anything as unique as that or anything that had been signed by a Actor/Actress that they like is beyond me.

Edited by scifisteve

I would be very happy for a personalisation from Gillian. I like having my name on the photo as it goes to show that I actually meet here rather than just purchased the Autograph from a store (having a picture or photo shoot is a good back up to that).

The only photo I have that isn't, is from Ronny Cox, when I was working as his security at a SG Con he filmed an election skit, and he signed a photo we had made to me as "Senator Kinsey" and he joked that he didn't want to see it on Ebay, but how a fan would want to sell anything as unique as that or anything that had been signed by a Actor/Actress that they like is beyond me.

I totally agree! They have more meaning if they have your name on in my opinion. I think some people just see them as a quick way to get some cash so sell them on ebay. It's really annoying when I'm at a radio station or premier or whatever and people come with bag loads of stuff to be signed which you know will end up on ebay. Where as the true fans often miss out on getting the autographs they want.