latest guest announcement - GILLIAN ANDERSON

I know everyone has different circumstances, but I still find it quite remarkable.

I have to agree. I get that people have different circumstances, but I've never understood the people who say "oh my god, she's £10 more expensive, I can't see her now". I don't want to be patronizing (I really don't), but if you can't put an extra £10 together in six months, times may be too tough to be coming to these events as a hobby...

Agreed, getting £10 extra in 5 months shouldnt be hard for anyone. seriously!

Edited by Goosemaster

To be honest, I'd rather pay £45 for her and skip two/three other guests that have lesser parts or that are likely to appear again down the road.

To be able to get an X-Files photo signed from the leading lady herself is something that you can't put a price on .. well ok, £45 but you know what I mean ..

Sometimes you just have to take these opportunities when they arise because they may never come around again.

I agree with you on this. I was expecting her auto to be £35, so while it is more expensive than I expected, it has not put me off getting her autograph. I had hoped to get 3 autos from her, but it simply means that I might have to budget to one or two.

There also a number of guests that I already have autos of from previous years, and although another would be nice, I would be willing to pass them over so that I can get Gillian's - especially since the other guests seem to make regular appearances and it unlikely I'll get the opportunity to meet Gillian again.

This topic isn't really the place for debating a price to be honest, so it will probably be cleaned up shortly.

However - Showmasters have tried to keep prices across the board down where possible, and I think that they've done a good job with that. They've also asked whether we would want rarer/bigger guests that WILL cost more. They have explicitly stated that they have considered getting these guests but the finances dictate having to charge more. There has been complete clarity there, and this is one of those guests.

As for personalisation - bigger guests are being better managed where possible, and I think you'll find attendees getting a better experience over the past year with the big guests compared to at previous events. I certainly wouldn't like to see a GUARANTEE on personalisation though as it will have a knock-on effect and others will miss out. In the end, it's done where possible, and that's all we can ask for.

I think Showmasters have made the right decision. Last yeah they did ask us what we would be willing to pay for big guests. Were we willing to pay a higher amount, or would we rather not have the guest at all. Personally, I'd rather have the guest, and have the choice of whether I buy a auto or not when the time comes.

I think some people are just too critical of Showmasters and be more appreciative of the hard work they do to get these guests booked.

To be honest, I'd rather pay £45 for her and skip two/three other guests that have lesser parts or that are likely to appear again down the road.

To be able to get an X-Files photo signed from the leading lady herself is something that you can't put a price on .. well ok, £45 but you know what I mean ..

Sometimes you just have to take these opportunities when they arise because they may never come around again.

I will skip everyone else so that I can pay for her to be on all that I want her to be on. I'm not really a big Fan of the Rocky films (in fact I've only seen the first one - dont look at me like that lol) but when Carl Weathers was at EMS I took others advice to get his Autograph knowing the likelihood would be that I'd never meet him again.

And I fully agree you cannot put a price on an X-Files photo - you just cannot.

Opportunity knocks as the saying goes.

Exactly. Don't get me wrong i'm not the richest guy on the planet, but I find it incredible that if people really want to meet her for an autograph, they're put off by finding out(5 months beforehand) the price is £10 more than they thought it would be. I know everyone has different circumstances, but I still find it quite remarkable.

Like you say David, people have to prioritise at these events. If you have a few people you want to meet, then consider if any of them may do an event in future. If so, then possibly sacrifice meeting one or two of them to meet Gillian who, lets be honest, may never do one again. But prioritisation is the key. Is she really not worth £45 to meet? If not, then you must have other priorities. To me, yes i'd gladly pay that price if it means getting to meet a TV icon like her

Totally agree with you again. :) My exact same thoughts.

If somebody is put off by £45, then they didn't really want to meet her. To me it would totally worth it if I happen to make it to the con. I woulnd't think twice to get photo, auto and the talk with her.

I'm in complete agreement with everything thats been said.

The X Files has been a show that I grew up with (well started watching it when it first aired here when I was a Teenager) and how the show worked due to the undeniable chemistry between Gillian and David, without sounding corny its as though they'd always been partners.

A lot of people who are true Fans wont give it a second thought and will gladly meet her, in life we often have to go that extra mile for our Fandom and will pull out all the stops, some of us need to adhere to budgets at cons but this is a big Guest.

And more than that, one heck of a chance of a lifetime.

This topic isn't really the place for debating a price to be honest, so it will probably be cleaned up shortly.

However - Showmasters have tried to keep prices across the board down where possible, and I think that they've done a good job with that. They've also asked whether we would want rarer/bigger guests that WILL cost more. They have explicitly stated that they have considered getting these guests but the finances dictate having to charge more. There has been complete clarity there, and this is one of those guests.

As for personalisation - bigger guests are being better managed where possible, and I think you'll find attendees getting a better experience over the past year with the big guests compared to at previous events. I certainly wouldn't like to see a GUARANTEE on personalisation though as it will have a knock-on effect and others will miss out. In the end, it's done where possible, and that's all we can ask for.

Perhaps having Goldpass owners the benefit of having a GUARANTEE on personilization? :D

The benefits are very good. But this would be something that would really give it the little extra.

The problem with that is that every guest wont personalise, atleast I think Shatner was said that he didnt.

Karen Gillan didnt cause she was very busy (I think).

But it could work as long as its SM that sets the rule of no personalisation. But all comes down to whether the guest wants to.

Its a nice idea I think :)

Edited by Wondermoose

• Moderators

Yes, that's definitely another problem - you can't FORCE a guest to personalise. James Marsters for example I believe doesn't due to hand injury or similar.

If it's between having a guest just signing, or not having the guest ..

Yes, that's definitely another problem - you can't FORCE a guest to personalise. James Marsters for example I believe doesn't due to hand injury or similar.

If it's between having a guest just signing, or not having the guest ..

Christopher LLoyd didnt personalise in the end of saturday cause he was tired I think, it was a shame cause I was standing in que when he went for his photoshoot, and at that time he did... But when I got back, he didnt.

Totally agree with you again. :) My exact same thoughts.

If somebody is put off by £45, then they didn't really want to meet her. To me it would totally worth it if I happen to make it to the con. I woulnd't think twice to get photo, auto and the talk with her.

Thanks Sophia, are you definitely going to LFCC then? If you're undecided, i'd advise you to decide quickly! I think the talk will sell out(and probably the photo shoot) but the earlier you order a talk ticket, the close you'll be to the stage

I definitely want to go. I'm dying to go. But I'm going to Chevron 7.8 tomorrow and I spent all my saved up money for that con and I don't think I would be able to gather enough money in time for this. My heart is bleeding, but yeah.. :D

Great guest. I could be tempted for the photo shoot.

Gillian signed some stuff for me on the red carpet a few years ago at the How to Lose Friends and Alienate People Premiere, where despite being in the later stages of pregnancy was still taking the time to get round and sign and speak to people.

This may sound like a silly question but will Jeri and Gillian's photoshoots be spaced apart? I know we won't know the times yet but I hope as these two will be very busy and are there for only one day that there will be time to get from one guest to the other not all of us can get gold passes after all.

Sorry if it is a silly question and sorry if it's been asked already but I was just wondering :)

• Showmasters Admin

This may sound like a silly question but will Jeri and Gillian's photoshoots be spaced apart? I know we won't know the times yet but I hope as these two will be very busy and are there for only one day that there will be time to get from one guest to the other not all of us can get gold passes after all.

Sorry if it is a silly question and sorry if it's been asked already but I was just wondering :)

Don't worry this isn't our first event :D

Ah that's a shame. Hope you do manage it, at least for a photo or auto or anything that gives you the chance to meet her. Yeah i'm going to Chevron tomorrow as well, certainly is an expensive hobby!

Yeah if I lived in London I'd definitely go for the con, because I could get that much money together maybe, the problem is with flying there and staying at the hotel.

So I don't think any of it would work. But guess I'll see.

But anyway, I'll be fine if in the future I'll be able to just see her in a play maybe and get a few seconds with her after it. Which is still possible I think. :)

And great, I'm super excited already, actually Chevron will be my first con ever, though I've been planning to get to one forever. :D I can't wait to meet cool, new people and the whole thing itself. :)

Don't worry this isn't our first event :D

I'd listen to Too Tall (they dont call him Too Tall for no reason). After every con I end up needing to go to the chiropractor with the crick in my neck :D

Ah that's a shame. Hope you do manage it, at least for a photo or auto or anything that gives you the chance to meet her. Yeah i'm going to Chevron tomorrow as well, certainly is an expensive hobby!

Yeah if I lived in London I'd definitely go for the con, because I could get that much money together maybe, the problem is with flying there and staying at the hotel.

But anyway, I'll be fine if in the future I'll be able to just see her in a play maybe and get a few seconds with her after it. Which is still possible I think. :)

And great, I'm super excited already, actually Chevron will be my first con ever, though I've been planning to get to one forever. :D I can't wait to meet cool, new people and the whole thing itself. :)

Sounds like you're looking forward to it, i'm sure you'll have a great time, and meet some new friends. Personally I couldnt NOT go to it, if Amanda's going, been wanting to meet her for years, and have at least a couple of things i'd like her autograph on.

Hopefully something will come along that will help you get to LFCC as well

And great, I'm super excited already, actually Chevron will be my first con ever, though I've been planning to get to one forever. ;) I can't wait to meet cool, new people and the whole thing itself. :)

Sounds like you're looking forward to it, i'm sure you'll have a great time, and meet some new friends. Personally I couldnt NOT go to it, if Amanda's going, been wanting to meet her for years, and have at least a couple of things i'd like her autograph on.

Hopefully something will come along that will help you get to LFCC as well

Yes I've been waiting to meet Amanda too. :) That's why I wouldn't not go to Chevron. I'm just sorry LFCC is so close (to me) to Chevron. :)

But well will see how my things will go. For now I'm excited to be there. :)

Maybe I'll get more chance to go to more conventions in the future. :)

Hi

I've been a fan of Gillian's for over 15 years and been to almost every event she's attended so I thought I might be able to provide some advice.

FHM Mag - she doesn't like this magazine shoot, she's commented a lot on it over the years but I really wouldn't worry about her refusing to sign it, she's signed plenty of them. When she goes to these events (and she's done several XF fan events in the USA in recent years) she's happy to sign anything that isn't some weird sexual manip! She's got a good sense of humour, we've joked about the XF p 0 rn parody with her, she's not going to hate you because you show her a copy of FHM!!

Refusing to sign XF stuff - she did refuse to sign for a few years after she left TXF and I think, understandably, she has refused to sign XF stuff at appearances for other projects - at the stagedoor of her plays or at other film premieres etc, but she signed everything and anything XF related at the recent USA events.

Personalisation - Gillian prefers to personalise the things she signs because it means they aren't going to be sold on ebay! I've seen her question people that didn't want things personalised before (not that she is likely to do that to you!). I'm not saying 100% she will personalise her signings, because I guess it's down to time constraints, but I think it's very likely she will ask people their names and if you ask her to personalise it I would be incredibly surprised if she didn't. She did refuse to write certain messages that she was requested to at other signings, but she will be polite about it and ask what you'd like her to write instead.

:P

Edited by l0islane

Personalisation - Gillian prefers to personalise the things she signs because it means they aren't going to be sold on ebay! I've seen her question people that didn't want things personalised before (not that she is likely to do that to you!). I'm not saying 100% she will personalise her signings, because I guess it's down to time constraints, but I think it's very likely she will ask people their names and if you ask her to personalise it I would be incredibly surprised if she didn't. She did refuse to write certain messages that she was requested to at other signings, but she will be polite about it and ask what you'd like her to write instead.

This sounds awesome! :)

Hi

I've been a fan of Gillian's for over 15 years and been to almost every event she's attended so I thought I might be able to provide some advice.

FHM Mag - she doesn't like this magazine shoot, she's commented a lot on it over the years but I really wouldn't worry about her refusing to sign it, she's signed plenty of them. When she goes to these events (and she's done several XF fan events in the USA in recent years) she's happy to sign anything that isn't some weird sexual manip! She's got a good sense of humour, we've joked about the XF p 0 rn parody with her, she's not going to hate you because you show her a copy of FHM!!

Refusing to sign XF stuff - she did refuse to sign for a few years after she left TXF and I think, understandably, she has refused to sign XF stuff at appearances for other projects - at the stagedoor of her plays or at other film premieres etc, but she signed everything and anything XF related at the recent USA events.

Let me start firstly by saying "Hi." and welcoming you to the forum, you've brought about a brand new refreshing take on this and obviously we're all very grateful to hear this.

I'm not surprised that she didnt like it, a Friend of mine on Twitter said that "Knowing her sense of humour she'd probably sign over her Breasts." lol. But at least thats cleared that up for those wishing to have it signed.

Case closed lol. :)

The refusal of signing X Files is very much common knowledge but again you've brought about the real reason set in stone as to why this is.

To be honest, if she does want to personalise my X-Files DVD Boxset I'd be more than happy for her to as (in my opinion a personalisation makes it more special) and its very understandable about the whole ebay ethos. A true Fan wouldnt shove it on ebay so thats good to hear this.

So with all this said its going to prove very helpful :)

Thanks and I can see you're going to be a very valuable poster in this thread :)

Hi

Thank you so much for this. Now I'd like to go even more. Need to win the lottery, it's the only way. xD

Hi

:D

Thank you so much for this. Now I'd like to go even more. Need to win the lottery, it's the only way. xD

agreed, great informative post 10islane,

sophia, I hope you and all the ppl unsure if they can, can make it, what a guest and MEGA if you like the x files, I mean sometimes rare guests appear then they cant stop lol and are everywhere at loads of events but also sometimes a rare guest appears and its the 1 and only time. so its a risk if you choose not to or are unable to due to finances/work. maybe the only chance with her, in the uk at least, esp with xfiles items as it seems those are (and understandably so) no nos at stage doors and things with her.

the price tag is high (for me anyway) and has (so far) put me off getting 2 autographs, but I will deff do 1 auto on my fight the future poster and ive bought a photo shoot.

Hi

sophia, I hope you and all the ppl unsure if they can, can make it, what a guest and MEGA if you like the x files, I mean sometimes rare guests appear then they cant stop lol and are everywhere at loads of events but also sometimes a rare guest appears and its the 1 and only time. so its a risk if you choose not to or are unable to due to finances/work. maybe the only chance with her, in the uk at least, esp with xfiles items as it seems those are (and understandably so) no nos at stage doors and things with her.

the price tag is high (for me anyway) and has (so far) put me off getting 2 autographs, but I will deff do 1 auto on my fight the future poster and ive bought a photo shoot.

Well I'd just like to meet her. To me it's not that important if she signs X-files or other stuff to me. I just really would like to meet her. I got to know her from X-files but since then she is a whole person to me not just "Scully from X-files". But as things are now, it's not the time for me. By the time I'd have enough money for the tickets, they'll all be gone probably anyway.

So yeah, maybe I'll meet her one day after theatre. :)

Hi

Well I'd just like to meet her. To me it's not that important if she signs X-files or other stuff to me. I just really would like to meet her. I got to know her from X-files but since then she is a whole person to me not just "Scully from X-files". But as things are now, it's not the time for me. By the time I'd have enough money for the tickets, they'll all be gone probably anyway.

So yeah, maybe I'll meet her one day after theatre. :)

lol yer she is only a half person to those only interested in the x files, lol

keep an eye on it, entry tickets wont sell out (i dont believe they ever have?) so autograph wise you will still have a chance even turning up on the day if early. but yer photo and talk tickets might sell out fast, or at least before the event.

LFCC is looking really good. hope everyone interested is able to make it