latest guest announcement - GILLIAN ANDERSON

Back in 2010 I sat in at the Dr. Who talk and one guy dressed up as the Doctor asked for everyone on stage (from what I can remember there were about six or seven cast members) if he could have a Photo, they obliged and whilst his Friend got the Camera ready all the Guests got off their seats and crowded around the guy for a rather impromptu photo shoot, and then go back to their seats.

Sure, I can see that this would have saved them around £70 - 80 + on Photoshoot Tickets and a nice little memory of the day but surely that cant be deemed by most as acceptable?

Yeah it was definitely not on, the other problem with the Doctor Who talks has been multiple younger attendees asking the same questions within a talk, the biggest offender is probably "what's the scariest monster".

Some of the best talks I've been to have been by Katee Sackhoff and Richard Hatch, and in those talks, they were weaving anecdotes in to the answers to all the questions, I think Hatch only technically answered 3 questions in his entire slot he had so much to say, but he was just engaging, it was amazing listening to his stories ;)

Maybe having people being able to submit questions before hand and the interviewer can ask them. Maybe the most asked questions for a common subject. Because some people might have a question, and is shy or not that confident in asking them.
I'm not really for the whole submitting of questions as its nice to ask someone the question personally, but then again I've always asked relevant and legitimate questions and never been one to ask for any kind of "Favours" from those on stage.
Fair enough but not everyone is comfortable with public speaking. This method allows them to avoid that but still receive an answer to their question from the guest.

Would there be an option in that case of those who wanted to ask their own questions and those who would prefer to have their questions asked by an interviewer?

I have found it best to ask a question whilst actually being in the talk rather than already have one I've thought of days before hand, in some cases I've had to change or reword my question to a guest right at the last minute but its always been nice to keep that freshness about it. :)

Back in 2010 I sat in at the Dr. Who talk and one guy dressed up as the Doctor asked for everyone on stage (from what I can remember there were about six or seven cast members) if he could have a Photo, they obliged and whilst his Friend got the Camera ready all the Guests got off their seats and crowded around the guy for a rather impromptu photo shoot, and then go back to their seats.

Sure, I can see that this would have saved them around £70 - 80 + on Photoshoot Tickets and a nice little memory of the day but surely that cant be deemed by most as acceptable?

Yeah it was definitely not on, the other problem with the Doctor Who talks has been multiple younger attendees asking the same questions within a talk, the biggest offender is probably "what's the scariest monster".

Some of the best talks I've been to have been by Katee Sackhoff and Richard Hatch, and in those talks, they were weaving anecdotes in to the answers to all the questions, I think Hatch only technically answered 3 questions in his entire slot he had so much to say, but he was just engaging, it was amazing listening to his stories :cylon:

I've heard the "whats the scariest monster" one a few times.

Possibly the most memorable talk was when the Guest just totally had the floor to himself and would give much appreciated lengthy answers and anecdotes whilst possibly throwing a ton of names into the mix, for this I'm talking of Michael Biehn, I'm sure the talk went on longer than normal and from what I can remember it wouldnt have been suitable for kids - I dont have a problem with bad language but I reckon even Tarantino would have blushed.

Theres also the John Hurt talk where we were held in awe at this Great Actors anecdotes and his down to Earthness and you could see from his modesty and extreme professionalism how hes had such a wonderful and dynamic career.

From what I can remember 99% of all the questions asked were all of a sensible, mature kind all asking about his work and different elements of it.

At the end of the day this is what a talk should be about, it should be informative and ask questions that are integral to the Guests career.

For anyone who hasnt seen it I strongly suggest watching Family Guy's "All dogs go to heaven." whilst sitting in on the Star Trek talk questions like:

"Often times my household sponges accumulate an awful amount of build up, what can I do to prevent this."

"I have this itch on the back of my leg, and I cant figure out if its a bug bite or dry skin."

"I've got an artesian well on my property and the water pressure is lousy. Any suggestions?"

And Patrick Stewart ends by saying "Thank you for coming, you've been wonderful." I wont say how this Episode ends but needless to say Stewie wasnt happy he couldnt get any of his "Star Trek" based questions asked. Dun, dun, dun! lol.

Firstly, my 2c on the question of 'free hugs'. I've never got this particular meme (perhaps you have to be under 14), but if Ms. Anderson wants to put her arms around me I'm comfortable with it, and would not judge it to be inappropriate.

Secondly, this question about questions. I really can't abide the sort of people who ask inane stuff like 'what's the scariest monster', or 'what was your favorite episode', or somesuch. So you loved the X-Files, you think GA is fantastic, this is the first (possibly the only) convention she'll do in the UK, and all you can come up with is 'what's your favorite episode'??? In my judgement this is not good enough - you can, and should, think a bit in advance and come up with something more interesting - both for us and for her.

you can, and should, think a bit in advance and come up with something more interesting - both for us and for her.

Can, and should, but whether people WILL, that is the question

Well lets say SM goes with a model of havin an interviewer. And lets that person have 60-70% of the total time, then let the questions go over to the audience.

Its another 4 months till LFCC, create a thread where people can suggest questions for her, as a help for the interviewer. Nothing more complicated than guestsuggestions. This can apply to Jeri Ryan aswell :)

That's not really the problem though, not that there particularly is a problem. It's just a case of some people would rather ask a question like 'what's your favourite cheese' than an ever so slightly more intellectual question.

That's not really the problem though, not that there particularly is a problem. It's just a case of some people would rather ask a question like 'what's your favourite cheese' than an ever so slightly more intellectual question.

Well, having a few of thoose could be fun, its trivia. But to much of it aint good.

Well, having a few of thoose could be fun, its trivia. But to much of it aint good.

I could not agree more the most disappointing talks I have gone to was RDA's at Chevron, probably my one and only time in my life I will see him and the majority of questions asked were about what his family was doing, he was funny but in the 2x1 hour of alloted time for his talks (not counting group talks) you had to wait until the last 20 minutes of the second talk before even one question was asked about Stargate (this was a Stargate convention after all)

I could not agree more the most disappointing talks I have gone to was RDA's at Chevron, probably my one and only time in my life I will see him and the majority of questions asked were about what his family was doing, he was funny but in the 2x1 hour of alloted time for his talks (not counting group talks) you had to wait until the last 20 minutes of the second talk before even one question was asked about Stargate (this was a Stargate convention after all)

Personally I enjoyed his talk BECAUSE he talked about his career as a whole. I find it a lot more interesting to hear about their lives instead of just sticking to one subject. That's exactly why I think an interviewer would be good because i'd like the conversation with her to flow from one subject to another

With someone like RDA with such a long career etc, questions were bound to be more general. I love show specific questions, but sometimes it is nice to find out a little more about the person themselves.

At shows like Chevron, make sure you submit questions before the talk, the more questions received the better :thumbup:

With someone like RDA with such a long career etc, questions were bound to be more general. I love show specific questions, but sometimes it is nice to find out a little more about the person themselves.

At shows like Chevron, make sure you submit questions before the talk, the more questions received the better :thumbup:

I think we need a healthy medium.

An interviewer isn't the solution, a crew member making sure questions aren't for another's personal gain ie hugs or what have you is fine by me.

There's some of us who don't like the idea of being nannying about and would appreciate to ask ones own questions.

If there are people who feel the need to submit questions to an interviewer then let them but I prefer to ask my own :)

An interviewer isn't the solution, a crew member making sure questions aren't for another's personal gain ie hugs or what have you is fine by me.

I have crewed at other events in the past, and worked in the main hall where part of my duty's was to check questions. There is always a few people who would say that my question is about X of which is acceptable, yet when they get to the microphone they actually ask Y of which they know is not acceptable and then they try to push for it to be answered before you are actually able to get to the microphone to stop them from doing it any more.

Also there should be a mixture of interviewer and individual questions. For me, I would prefer to submit my question to the interviewer before hand. Because I have got a speech disability, I find going up to the mic and asking my question hard etc. So if you are able to do both then it will give people the best of both worlds.

cap

I have crewed at other events in the past, and worked in the main hall where part of my duty's was to check questions. There is always a few people who would say that my question is about X of which is acceptable, yet when they get to the microphone they actually ask Y of which they know is not acceptable and then they try to push for it to be answered before you are actually able to get to the microphone to stop them from doing it any more.

Also there should be a mixture of interviewer and individual questions. For me, I would prefer to submit my question to the interviewer before hand. Because I have got a speech disability, I find going up to the mic and asking my question hard etc. So if you are able to do both then it will give people the best of both worlds.

cap

I'd be more than happy if there was a mixture of Interviewer/Individual questions (Interviewer for those who may have submitted questions for any kind of reasons i.e. those who are shy of public speaking or like you say those with speech disabilities and individual questions for those of us - myself - who'd prefer to ask them directly.

My questions have always been relevant and not self serving in any way (if I was of that nature - which I'm not - I would have asked Kristanna Loken a much different question to what I did ask her) in fact I take note of what a Guest says before I ask a question and once or twice dependent on whats been asked beforehand I have rewritten a question so its more appropriate or in some cases thought of another focus point.

During the Michael Biehn talk he said how he felt towards people asking him about Arnold Schwarzenegger or James Cameron.

Then there was the Star Wars talk last year and many of the Guests were very open with chatting and were generous when they opened it to the floor and I can't remember any "inappropriate" questions being asked then.

IF during the Gillian Anderson talk we have ALL questions from the floor, like has been done previously then thats one thing but IF we have ALL questions from an Interviewer then its going from one extreme to the other, I feel we need a compromise between those who want questions put foward by an Interviewer and those of us who would like to ask them directly.

Believe me, I was less than happy during the dr who talk when the person got that impromptu photoshoot and during the John Hurt talk looked at my Friend in exasperation when Mr. Hurt was asked to hold a Bear, we need a compromise and we need to have valid questions that will see the Guest happy to answer and furthermore not to be made to feel uneasy in front of a large audience.

You could always get a crew member to make it clear before a talk starts that personal requests like asking for pictures and hugging are not allowed. If they do occur then it will result in immediate removal from the event I'm sure the threat of being ejected would be enough.

cap

I'd be more than happy if there was a mixture of Interviewer/Individual questions (Interviewer for those who may have submitted questions for any kind of reasons i.e. those who are shy of public speaking or like you say those with speech disabilities and individual questions for those of us - myself - who'd prefer to ask them directly.

My questions have always been relevant and not self serving in any way (if I was of that nature - which I'm not - I would have asked Kristanna Loken a much different question to what I did ask her) in fact I take note of what a Guest says before I ask a question and once or twice dependent on whats been asked beforehand I have rewritten a question so its more appropriate or in some cases thought of another focus point.

During the Michael Biehn talk he said how he felt towards people asking him about Arnold Schwarzenegger or James Cameron.

Then there was the Star Wars talk last year and many of the Guests were very open with chatting and were generous when they opened it to the floor and I can't remember any "inappropriate" questions being asked then.

IF during the Gillian Anderson talk we have ALL questions from the floor, like has been done previously then thats one thing but IF we have ALL questions from an Interviewer then its going from one extreme to the other, I feel we need a compromise between those who want questions put foward by an Interviewer and those of us who would like to ask them directly.

Believe me, I was less than happy during the dr who talk when the person got that impromptu photoshoot and during the John Hurt talk looked at my Friend in exasperation when Mr. Hurt was asked to hold a Bear, we need a compromise and we need to have valid questions that will see the Guest happy to answer and furthermore not to be made to feel uneasy in front of a large audience.

Well that wont count for everyone... a mixture is a good thing I think.

You could always get a crew member to make it clear before a talk starts that personal requests like asking for pictures and hugging are not allowed. If they do occur then it will result in immediate removal from the event I'm sure the threat of being ejected would be enough.

I'm fully behind a crew member reading the riot act, and this needs to be done, as for the the "immediate removal" element this could either work with whomever its applied to rethinking their actions and if they really want to compromise the £27.50 they paid out for the Talk and knowing that their actions wouldnt see them getting a refund... Orrrrrrrrr if they give in and ask for it then get booted out we'll hear them go on about how they felt unfairly treated.

To be honest, we've got four months to go and quite possibly people will read what we've written and hopefully be disuaded from going ahead with asking for hugs etc.

Well that wont count for everyone... a mixture is a good thing I think.

We're all different :) Thats what makes us human, a question is all well and good if it stays in the parameters of professionalism and veers away from "hug" etc questions :)

You could always get a crew member to make it clear before a talk starts that personal requests like asking for pictures and hugging are not allowed. If they do occur then it will result in immediate removal from the event

Other than the fact that anybody who is prepared to ignore that is also likely not to co-operate with being ejected. Which will be noisy and awkward and embarrasing.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a maximum amount of autographs Gillian will sign for one person ?

thanks

Considering how big Gillian is she will almost certainly be on a virtual queue system and will be on a five per person limit so thats five Autographs :)

Is there a maximum amount of autographs Gillian will sign for one person ?

thanks

Considering how big Gillian is she will almost certainly be on a virtual queue system and will be on a five per person limit so thats five Autographs :)

If you want more than five, you'll need to get another VT and rejoin the queue later.

i got my photoshoot ticket for her the other day. think im like 420 something. shes gonna be so bored by the time she gets around to me LOL. is there going to be some sort of limit on the amount of VTs given out for autographs??

i got my photoshoot ticket for her the other day. think im like 420 something. shes gonna be so bored by the time she gets around to me LOL. is there going to be some sort of limit on the amount of VTs given out for autographs??

David Tennant had over 1000 tickets given out but became open queue not everyone could stay until the end, so I doubt a limit would happen. No matter what happens, get a ticket and stay until the end of the day if you can and you will most likely get her autograph (no guarantee because anything can happen).

Don't forget david had 2 photo shoots and lunch so wasn't sat there signing all day.