would you be prepared to pay these prices to meet these guests ?

showmasters

thank you for helping us with this poll it will make a difference   

458 members have voted

1. 1. please pick one of these only if you would pay this amount for a auto

• Jean-Claude Van Damme £45
    • Chris Pine £55
    • Ian Holm £45
  2. 2. same again

• Dolph Lundgren £45
    • Christopher Eccleston £35
    • Karl Urban £55
  3. 3. same and thank you for helping us know your thoughts

• Sean Bean £40
    • Zachary Quinto £75
    • Orlando Bloom £65

Its not about any of that.

Its about how much his people asked for for him to be there (as SM said, runs into 10s of thousands)

SM then have to divide that by how many people they could get through in a day/two days, how many shoots they could do and how many talk tickets they could sell.

That then dictates what price they set for each thing to make back the lump sum they gave to him to appear there.

Have to disagree .... I think this is more about seeing what the market will bear and while I think it's fantastic that Showmasters are looking at these people as potential guests, I think we need to send a clear message that we would love to see them but not at these prices.

I agree completely with this. We need to send a clear message not at these prices, as it does set a precedent!!

I think I read in another thread that Showmasters don't do panels like some American Cons because they get these fantastic actors but they only get to sign/meet very very few fans which leaves a lot of disappointed people...this would have exactly the same result as that - at these prices only a very few amount of people could afford them & leave a lot of disappointed people..... Just my opinion :D

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Hey my assumption is just as valid as Beatrixkiddo and 80sactionfan yet you only seem to take issue with the one that's against the high prices...... hmm not exactly unbiased are we?

Maybe I should just tow the line too.......

Bring them all over as I am perfectly happy with those prices ..... in fact why not add on extra £5 to each.

Unbiased? I don't think I ever said in this topic I was unbiased. I'm offering my opinion as an attendee who goes to these events and spends money just like you and everyone else.

However, I do know that Jason and co wouldn't charge these prices unless they had to. They do keep prices down as much as possible wherever they can, but these are guests that we'll need to pay these prices in order to get them. And I do genuinely believe that people should be allowed to make that choice, even if it means saving up or whatever else.

I've never really agreed with the 'well it's too much, not many people can afford that, so it's unfair!" line some people seem to say (not saying you are), as there are plenty of things in this world people can't afford but we don't expect them to stop selling them.

..... at these prices only a very few amount of people could afford them & leave a lot of disappointed people..... Just my opinion :D

Well thats just life!! Either pay the price somebody charges for something - or miss out :P Not everybody can afford everything in life.

Not aiming this at you Poppy, but this comes up time and time again in relation to pricing. If you can't afford something and really want it badly, either earn more money or do without. I'd love a nice new car - can't afford it though, so I either start saving (which aint ever gonna happen as long as SM is around!!) or do without; but i'm not disappointed about it, or annoyed other people are happy to spend 20 grand on a car, it's their money they've worked damn hard for; let 'em spend it on what they like.

I don't have a lot of cash, but i'd make damn sure if there was an amazing guest i've always wanted to meet, i'd do everything possible to afford it.

Edited by keithporter23

Hey my assumption is just as valid as Beatrixkiddo and 80sactionfan yet you only seem to take issue with the one that's against the high prices...... hmm not exactly unbiased are we?

I'm not sure if I read all the responses right. But it does look to me like the issue most posters have with your assumption is not that you are against the high prices. It does look to me that that it seems you are thinking SM have not tried to negotiate already before throwing the prices out there, and that is what some posters issue is.

You say it should be possible to get the price down somewhat, the others seem to have accepted that this is as low as the price can get.

EDIT: Shouldn't go and answer the phone before posting. David has already posted pretty much the same. :D

Edited by Queen_Sindel

• Moderators

..... at these prices only a very few amount of people could afford them & leave a lot of disappointed people..... Just my opinion :D

Well thats just life!! Either pay the price somebody charges for something - or miss out :P

Plus, it's a lot different to a limited signing in America. Here, the price is upfront, and people are given the opportunity to save up etc. Go sell a kidney or whatever else if you have to, but you very likely have the opportunity to meet the guest IF YOU WANT TO. Sure, there'll be a limit but far higher than a limited US signing.

Since everyone else is making assumptions...

Consider the possibility that folks such as Quinto and Bloom might not want to actually do the show, so are just asking for a huge sack of cash (plus first class flights, limos everywhere, suites at the Savoy etc...) so it will rule themselves out economically without having to say no. "Hey, what's the worst that can happen? If thise crazy-ass Brits actually come up with all that stuff and all that money, then yeah, I'll do it, but I'm pretty sure they won't..."

:D

Well thats just life!! Either pay the price somebody charges for something - or miss out :P

Plus, it's a lot different to a limited signing in America. Here, the price is upfront, and people are given the opportunity to save up etc. Go sell a kidney or whatever else if you have to, but you very likely have the opportunity to meet the guest IF YOU WANT TO. Sure, there'll be a limit but far higher than a limited US signing.

DavidB - any idea what the going rate for a kidney is at the moment? Reckon it'd be enough to get a couple of autos and a photoshoot if Harrison Ford is announced?

• Moderators

Tricky to tell really. When a big guest gets announced, the market tends to be flooded with kidneys and various other parts, lowering the value. You're best off selling quick and early!

I dont think anyone made assumptions about how SM do things. Time and again (and in this thread) they have said they charge the prices they do to cover the costs of the guest.

Fact.

Which means the only assumption we've made is a logical one. That the prices in this thread are what they would need to charge to cover the costs. That's it.

No massive assumptions, just reasoned and logical ones that are based on previous statements.

I don't have a problem with high prices but I do have a problem with high prices on guests who don't warrant them.

If I was to say to the next 5 five people I see that JCVD was doing an auto signing they'd be like heh cool

But if I was to say the same thing about Zachary Quinto they'd be like, who?

In otherwords it would be like paying £6 for a bottle of Sainbury's own brand Cola when you can get Coca Cola for £1.79

It's in no way Showmaster's fault, it's Zachary's people charging too much. Fair enough if people can afford and want to pay that price, but personally I think the quality of said guest isn't worth the money. He ain't no Mike Tyson and I think Zach's agent doesn't realise that.

I'm not defending the high prices of some of these guests, but I think the best way to justify meeting one of the above is to think that it would cost more than the price listed for any of the guests above to buy their autograph from a dealer.

Of course then you can't be sure if it is genuine and you get the benefit of having it on any item you want plus you at least get to meet the guest.

I think I would just be able to make £75 if one of my dream guests were announced (Sigourney Weever, Kurt Russell, Harrison Ford)

Well thats just life!! Either pay the price somebody charges for something - or miss out :P Not everybody can afford everything in life.

Not aiming this at you Poppy, but this comes up time and time again in relation to pricing. If you can't afford something and really want it badly, either earn more money or do without. I'd love a nice new car - can't afford it though, so I either start saving (which aint ever gonna happen as long as SM is around!!) or do without; but i'm not disappointed about it, or annoyed other people are happy to spend 20 grand on a car, it's their money they've worked damn hard for; let 'em spend it on what they like.

I don't have a lot of cash, but i'd make damn sure if there was an amazing guest i've always wanted to meet, i'd do everything possible to afford it.

No worries :P

True it is life but it's also about being a fan event & how far you want to go to count out the everyday fan.

I personally dont think I would ever pay that amount even if I was beyond desperate to meet the guest. I couldn't imagine justifying that much money on this & you are talking to a person who has camped out for premieres & took 4 days off work for the last Harry Potter film. Mainly because I think its wrong & as I said it would make me think a lot less of the actor themselves willing to charge fans this much.

Most people do save up for months for these events anyway, but it is outpricing a lot of the ordinary every day fans IMO. The fact anyone even attends shows that they do save up to be able to afford to go.

I also don't think we can say on one hand - we don't want to leave anyone out so no panels & on the other - only for the more wealthy fans. I personally agree with the reasons behind not having panels, but I would rather camp out & take my chances meeting a guest doing a panel than the other option of paying so much. :P

Just to make it clear - I don't mean camp out for 4 days - (I realise that was unclear in my post) but I did go to London!! I have camped out in the past for a premiere but that was a long time ago. I was using that as a point to illustrate that I am more than happy to make sacrafices to meet someone I am a massive fan of but I think that charging this much is taking advantage...

ian holm/sean bean would gladly pay double the advertised price

good luck sm hope your successful xx

Good man, thats the spirit. Anyone willing to pay triple the suggested prices?

I've completely come around to everyones way of thinking ......

I will pay no less than £100 for the above guests. Don't you even dare try to charge me less cos I won't pay it!

I will pay no less than £100 for the above guests. Don't you even dare try to charge me less cos I won't pay it!

That seems to me an unfair reply, the poster is clearly saying that they like this person. If anything, Showmasters have got a really good deal and that they were expecting more.

First complaining that a guest is too high, now complaining that another attendee thinks the price for a different guest is really good and maybe lower than expected, what price is it that will please you?

That seems to me an unfair reply, the poster is clearly saying that they like this person. If anything, Showmasters have got a really good deal and that they were expecting more.

First complaining that a guest is too high, now complaining that another attendee thinks the price for a different guest is really good and maybe lower than expected, what price is it that will please you?

I think he might charge a troll... ahem, I mean toll! :angel:

Im guessing he would complain if they were free - because then the queues were too long!!! :angel:

£75 for an autograph of zachary quinto???.....................an eye watering amount indeed,i think a reality check is definitely in order here.

no doubt there are some quinto fans who would be "willing" to stump up that kind of cash............but i would suggest most fans have rather more modest budgets.and well known though he is among the sci-fi fraternity,i would also suggest hardly worthy of that kind of price tag............where are these figures plucked out of the air from?? not even legends like shatner,or nimoy were asking that kind of money.

if De Niro or Pacino were ever to appear at an event (a non existent possibility...but used as a hypothetical example) then i think most fans would expect and consider £75 to be a "going rate"...these guys are after all bona fide "film stars" in every sense of the word.

zachary quinto on the other hand.......................................

maybe he could do a buy one get one free deal...........much more appealing. :angel:

As much as I would love to meet Zach there is absolutely no way I would pay £75 for the pleasure of drooling over him. Especially not compared to the bargain price for Sean Bean :)

Chris Pine and Zach would be cool given how good the last Star Trek film was but given what else they've done I'm not sure they're worth the asking price yet, espcially if someone like Ian Holm is only £45. Makes Christopher Lambert at LFCC look like even more of a bargain and I was very happy to pay £35 for him.

But if any of these or even from the previous list (Christopher Lee, Stan Lee etc) are announced I'll give it due consideration.

Exactly, as much as I love them they haven't done enough to acheive legend status and warrant the high prices just yet.

It really does make Christopher look like a bargain now! lol

If it were Christopher Lee or Stan Lee I'd pay high prices no question!

Being a certified LOTR 'Nut' I would deffinately love to meet Ian Holm from the first group, Carl Urban from the second and would have a serious problem in deciding between Orlando and Sean. I have gone for Sean Bean in the poll purely for financial reasons BUT would meet Bloom too if he was at a show.

bring 'em ALL I say. It's only money after all and you know what they say, "you can't take it with you :wub:

Go on Jason. Make my day!!!

Jean-Claude Van Damme £45 - Yes

Chris Pine £55 - No

Ian Holm £45 -No

Dolph Lundgren £45 - Maybe

Christopher Eccleston £35 - Yes

Karl Urban £55 -No

Sean Bean £40 - Yes

Zachary Quinto £75 -Seems way too expensive, so no at this price, but would love as a guest and cheaper

Orlando Bloom £65 -Maybe, but again quite expensive, would probably say yes if at £50 or £55

spot on

If the poster was clearly saying they like this person then why didn't they say so ..... instead of saying please charge me more to meet this guest? Seriously would you go into a shop pick up a paper go to the counter and tell the newsagent "Hey you know what I'd happily pay twice the price you're charging me." No, of course not.

Im guessing he would complain if they were free - because then the queues were too long!!! :P

.....and I'm guessing that you're so happy with the high prices because it means you get to be in the queue all by yourself...... as per your motto in all previous conversations like this:

Are people really so desperate to meet their favourite actors/actresses that they will give up common consumer sense?