Nicholas Courtney 1929 to 2011

showmasters

• Showmasters Admin

it saddens us all to have to let you all know that the legend that was Nicholas Courtney has passed away :blush:

he was one of the best Dr Who guests you could have wished to have meet a gentleman he will be greatly missed by us all such a sad day .

nicholascourtney.jpgnicholascourtney-brigadier.jpg

Nicholas Courtney, known to and beloved by Doctor Who fans worldwide as Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart, one of the longest-serving co-stars of the series who appeared opposite five television Doctors, has died, aged 81.

Born in Egypt, William Nicholas Stone Courtney spent his childhood and education in a variety of places - his father serving in the diplomatic service - before entering the Webber Douglas School of Singing and Dramatic Art after completing his National Service in 1950. He then entered rep in 1952 - his first job being actor/ASM in Cromer! - before a move to London brought him to the world of television.

His first appearance in this media was as a Warrant Officer in the 1957 series Escape, followed by playing King Charles II in Looking About and Mark Norman in an episode of No Hiding Place. He was then to appear throughout the 1960s in shows like Callan and Sword of Honour, as well as popular fantasy genre titles like The Saint, The Champions, The Avengers, and Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) (alongside Master-to-be, Roger Delgado).

His first brush with Doctor Who was to be as Space Security Agent Bret Vyon in the First Doctor epic The Daleks' Master Plan. For Doctor Who fans, of course, he will always be remembered as UNIT stalwart Lethbridge-Stewart. Originally slated to play Captain Knight in the Second Doctor adventure The Web Of Fear, he was 'promoted' to the role of Colonel by director Douglas Camfield when original actor David Langton pulled out, and returned a year as a newly promoted Brigadier in The Invasion, a role he was to become associated with for over forty years! Appearing as one of the main characters throughout the Third Doctor's incarnation, he was then to appear with every other classic series Doctor, both during the television show's original run and through the Big Finish audio adventures. Mentioned a number of times in the revived series of Doctor Who, he was to appear once more in character in 2008 as Sir Alistair in spin-off series The Sarah Jane Adventures.

Work continued after his departure from Doctor Who, appearing in shows such as All Creatures Great And Small and Sink or Swim (both alongside Fifth Doctor Peter Davison), Shelley, Yes, Prime Minister and Only Fools and Horses; he also played Lt. Col. Robert Witherton in 1993's Then Churchill Said to Me. More recently, he appeared in popular shows like The Bill, Doctors, and Casualty. In 2008 he played the Archbishop of Canterbury in Incendiary.

He is survived by his wife Karen, his son Philip and daughter Bella.

William Nicholas Stone Courtney (16th December 1929 - 22nd February 2011)

• Moderators

Such a talented, genuine man who clearly loved what he did. One of the first I ever saw at an event, and witnessed a number of talks over the years. Very much involved and passionate, and clearly had the respect of his peers and fans alike.

the world is a sader place today, a gent and a lovely man, a hero to us who fans. he will be greatly missed,

I was about to go to bed last night when I started to see the twitter posts, I stayed up frantically looking for news hoping it was wrong.

so so sad, Im still in shock.

RIP nick, hopefully we will see you when we get there.

Such a loss, RIP Sir.

I'm still in shock as well. When I was a kid, before I met anyone famous, I always said that if i was ever to meet anyone, i'd want it to be Nick. Thankfully I met him a lot over the last 10 years, and I think i can honestly say that he was my favourite celebrity to meet. And my idol. I'm more upset than I can say

• Moderators

One of the loveliest guests I've ever met - a true gent, and he had such wonderful stories to share.

Saw it on twitter last night - where the outpourings of praise for this wonderful man are still continuing - and still not sure I can bring myself to believe it.

RIP Nick, you'll be missed by friends and fans alike.

Really sad that he has passed away was hoping it wasnt true. I am glad that i have met him last year he was such a great guy to meet, was kinda hoping for him to appear in a episode of Nu Who at some point rather then being mentioned but at least we got tons of old great episodes of classic who with him in it to enjoy.

R.I.P Nicholas Courtney

This is indeed sad news. I had the pleasure of meeting Nicholas several times and found him to be a warm and friendly man who was extremely generous with his time to fans. He will be missed by fans but remembered around the world as a true legend and icon of classic British television.

My thoughts to his nearest and dearest.

I remember Nicholas was at an event in Bristol. It was my first proper all weekend convention. Top guy. On the Saturday night the bar and bar lounge was packed. On the big screen television an adult movie came on by accident and was turned off within 20 or so seconds. However, from the depths of a sofa came the voice of Mr Courtney who bellowed out.."Oi..I was watching that...". The whole place turned and erupted in laughter as we saw who it was who said it.

A kind fellow who will be missed.