Thoughts From Saturday

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wendee Lee was absloutely lovely. Very friendly, just a shame I couldn't find something proper to talk about in the moment.

Did anyone see the Talent Show? haha, Yaoi and cheese burgers, with Starbucks is all I will say. Anyone have any idea wherever they will do the Talent show next year?

Edited by Nokie0101

Hey there all, i'm going for the first time tomorrow and wanted to know if you could give me any advice etc...

if i'm honest it looks like a pretty complicated system (all these tickets and so on...)

There aren't any guests i'm really interested in , i will probably be browsing a bit looking at stuff to buy but the things i am interested in are

a couple of talks (twilight and horror)...now do you need a ticket to attend? have they been sold out already or will that be determined in the morning depending on how early i get there?

I want to check the auction out too... how does it work? like a standard auction? is there a list of things up for auction available or is it a surprise?

Finally i'm planning on going there early but i read somewhere that there was already a queue at 7h15 when it opens at 9am! do you think it will be the same tomorrow? how much of a difference does it make in getting an early bird ticket for 9am or a normal ticket for 11am? i mean i imagine a lot of people are getting the early bird tickets so i wouldn't be avoiding "the crowds" right? :thumbup:

anyways thanks a lot in advance!

Arrived 10:45 biggest standard queue I've ever seen (since 2006)

It moved along fairly quickly though, could have done with a bit more stewarding as people were pushing in

and 'meeting' up with friends.

The floorspace seemed to have been drastically reduced though from previous events, this together with an increase in people traffic meant it got quite claustrophobic at times. It was impossible to see the stalls without waiting ages for people to move on and you couldn't see items properly.

All the guests I met were chatty and happy for photos etc tbh they always are!

Special mentions for:

Robert Watts really game for his age.

Bob Anderson was struggling, very busy queues for a SW guest and he's very old, did great though.

Daniel Logan turned on the charm/flattery for my lady friend and really joined in buying a crew shirt at the auction etc. I met him a few years ago and he's really grown into the guest role.

The talks varied, caught the end of the filmakers which seemed interesting.

The auction was a health and safety nightmare with the compere hurling goodies into the audience lol

Shame the Fett talk got bogged down with impersonations of Fetts from the audience rather than a good Q and A session, although the banter at the start was amusing.

I saw no Star Wars lego exhibition, just a few (3) props

Queues for the bigger guests seemed busy but the number of stalls was down considerably.

Lots of Cosplayers and a great variety of costumes.

A good fun day out and I'll be back tomorrow!

I don't think anyone will be surprised to hear there was no photoing or videoing.
You may have gone up too early. I went around 12.30 and candid photos were allowed with a slight restriction. None once you got closer than the second row. For those that are puzzled by that it was a windy queue similar to how the busier photoshoots go sometimes.

I wasn't really bothered personally (I don't think I even took my camera along today!) but I know for some people like getting pictures or video clips of their item being signed so I thought it was worth mentioning!

Arrived at 9am joined the end of the early bird queue and was inside within 6 minutes, got autographs and photos with the 3 guests I wanted to meet ( William B Davis X-Files, Tom Noonan Manhunter and CSI Las Vegas, and Sena Young CSI Las Vegas ). Attended the William B Davis talk and the auction, bought a Californication season 1 DVD for £8.00 ( was it my imagination or were lots of the DVD's really well priced ). My days highlight happened outside of the convention as I stopped off in the West End afterwards and hung around the stage door to see if David Hyde Pierce ( Niles from Frasier ) came out after the matinee, not only did he come out he must have signed over 100 autographs for all of us there and posed for photos etc, he didn't mind what he signed be it Fraiser, Simpsons etc and just calmly worked his way through the crowd. When you consider he was nominated for 11 successive Emmy awards which is a record he set a shining example of fan friendly classy behaviour compared to some so called stars who think fans are a nuisance to be avoided at all costs. :dance:

I don't think anyone will be surprised to hear there was no photoing or videoing.
You may have gone up too early. I went around 12.30 and candid photos were allowed with a slight restriction. None once you got closer than the second row. For those that are puzzled by that it was a windy queue similar to how the busier photoshoots go sometimes.

I wasn't really bothered personally (I don't think I even took my camera along today!) but I know for some people like getting pictures or video clips of their item being signed so I thought it was worth mentioning!

Yep, it's definitley worth mentioning. It actually caught me out as I had intentionally put my camera away prior to going up thinking it would be no photos at all :dance: . Pleasantly impressed.

First comiccon, and loved it. It was crowded, but no more than I really expected it to be - could've been way worse imo, and was definitely very well regulated/organised. The giant buy-on-the-day queue surprised me, but as we'd bought in advance, it was fine for us! Had a very Being Human-heavy day, and all I can do is thank Showmasters profusely for getting all three! They were lovely to meet, and their talk was great. Awesome day, will be returning tomorrow, this time armed with costume! :dance:

Shatner was on open queue last time i walked past :D

but was very busy earlier.

Im shattered, the photoshoots took alot out of me today and the fact im actually on duty lol

will post more thoughts later, not finished yet

minky knights where were you?

Saw you in the photo shoot que and was gonna say hi but didn't wanna look like a stalker from the forum!

:dance:

Im a relatively shy person, spoke to a few ppl but mostly those ive already met or who started a convo with me, was nice to meet them.

dont worry I wouldnt think you were a stalker lol

minky knights where were you?

I had a pretty quiet day. I only met one guest (Paul Kasey), and my only photo shoot of the weekend is tomorrow. I caught sight of you just the once - I was passing Shatner's signing area in the early afternoon and glanced over to the photo-shoot area, where I saw your head bobbing along near the front of the queue. I'll catch you properly tomorrow, for sure.

i had a manic day, lenora, vamp girls, being human group, ben browder, katee sackhoff, kristanna loken, sean pertwee, sean young and i was working, my feet and knees are killing me, and sudu cream is being used alot lol in another area. hard day for me, im shattered, worst photoshoot wise for me, all ran into each other mainly cos of the delay of the being human group shot.

but had a great day, so many gorgeous women! though one catwoman/batwoman may of gone to far lol, she was commando. should of got a pic.

and how about stormgirl at the front? wow, love her.

all the guests were great, if thats true about ben then thats amazing, what a guy.

those who think it was busier this year, i dont think so, yes it was busy but my memory of last year on the sat was it was far more packed.

tell ya what though, say what you want about mk dons, i loved the fact at any point you could sit down on a stadium seat. and be cool and hot ;-)

i was gonna scan my pics but im so knackered and have been having wireless issues, bed time soon i think

Very good first day. Katee Sackhoff was very sweet, and I think the Being Human cast were the highlight of the day - a pleasure to meet, and I'm so disappointed that their photohoot sold out so quickly (I'm glad I didn't arrive too early as even people who'd arrived hours earlier appear to have missed out!). At least I managed to get a shot with Aidan Turner...

Malcolm was going at super-duper-wooper speed today - I haven't gone through photoshoots that quickly since the Pasdar/Ventimiglia shoot a while back. Most pleased with the results so far.

Coming back for more tomorrow...

Had a good morning and all the guests I met were a real pleasure.

However, I was hugley disappointed that Aidan Turner did not start signng until 12.15. I had to go to a wedding this afternoon so had to leave at 12.30 so even having got there early enough to get a low VT number I had to miss out. Having got Lenora and Russell on my cast shot earlier there is now a conspicuous gap where the third signature should be. As the other Being Human guests were both on time and an absolute delight to meet I have to say Aidan turning up so late left a big blemish on my day.

This was our first Comic Con so we don't have anything to judge it against. But....

1) All the Cosplayers was very friendly and happily posed for pictures with my daughter. The BSG crowd, especially the Battlestar Italica mob and the chap in the Viper Pilots outfit made my daughters day. (The Cylon was cool as well, but having been brought up on edited versions of the new BSG little 'un didn't really recognise it as a Cylon)

2) Crowds not so bad - glad we got the early bird though.

3) Stalls were a bit weak. Had expected to come back with lots of kit that I would have to justify living on Marmite for, for the rest of the month but aside from a few photo-posters, nothing..

4) Katee Sackhoff was very kind and sweet when faced with a four foot high version of her and not phased at all. How my daughter didn't explode with joy I'm not sure.

5) The crew were excellent both in terms of information and organisation. Only slight sticky point in terms of how the day went was due to me booking the wrong train times and so having to shoot off mid way through the masquerade.

6) Food - how much!!

7) Best sight of the day was seeing a Darth Vader getting David Prowse's autograph....

Edited by Starbuck's dad

All I got to say what an amazing first LFCC for me!! The guests today I met were amazigng.. Esp the Being Human Cast and I managed to get a free autograph off Colin Teaogr (If that how it spelt) as hw couldnt guess my costume!!

All in all.. Well done to the Crew for the event!!

Im shattered now and got alot more on 2moro!! Grrr but YAY!!!

Off to the pub now to meet some mates! Yippeee

And I cant beliueve I seemed to be the only Master at the event (John Simms)

Were you the guy in the black suit carrying a laser screwdriver? With a woman with very curly bits in her hair??

Yeah I was .. thank god no-one recognised who i was drerssed up as bar the doctor who fans lol

Any official word about attendance this year? Seemed a lot busier than previous years. That was my first thought about today. Could barely move at some points.

Umm, I had a pretty up and down day to be honest. Firstly was gutted that Lenora's shoot sold out by the time I got served, having waited in that HUUUUGE queue to get tickets. Then waited about half an hour in her auto queue. She was due back five minutes after I joined! What happened there? Anyone know? Was there a hold up at the cast shoot or something? Was also gutted she wasn't doing over the table photos. Wouldn't have been bothered had I got a photoshoot ticket :P But she was lovely nonetheless, even if I had less than 10 seconds to speak to her!

Aidan's shoot went fine, he was lovely too and a little thrown when I extended my hand to shake his and thank him after the photo was taken! But he smiled and shook it :P

Then I met Ben Browder! The second I saw him, I knew he was mega jetlagged! I don't even think he looked at me! He was more concerned with finding out how long he had before his talk and was desperate for the loo! "I'm sorry was that too much information?" he laughed to the crew member. He was nice though and hopefully will be a bit perkier when I go back tomorrow...

Ben's talk finished off my day, which was a complete hoot! Loved all the Shanks references but kinda got the impression he didn't particularly like doing SG-1, well, compared to doing Farscape. And that he didn't like the Farscape sketch in SG-1 episode 200. I asked him to sign a photo of that as well! I love that scene. Oh well.

Anyhoo, back tomorrow for Ben's shoot, Lis Sladen and Matt Lewis' shoots and autos from Lis and possibly another from Ben.

Highlight of the day??? THE TUMBLER!!!! I bloody love that machine :D:dance:

Hehe I heard that as a rummor bout the SG parody of Farscape hence why I asked him!! God he hardly changed tho

had a great day,met everyone i wanted to.got to say daniel logan ,what a nice guy and biggest shock of the day we walked around the corner and there was brian murphy ,george from george and mildred ,we had a right old chat with him.

also met julian glover,dave prowse,kristanna loken(she was lovely),sean pertwee,kenny baker and jeremy bulloch.

now i also met mr william shatner,and yes he did look tired but he did say hello the first time i met him because right at the end of the day he was on open q so i got another photo signed and when i went up to meet him there was only me there so i managed to have abit of a chat with him,nothing major but he did say hello and he asked me how i was doing today and he thanked me for coming so for me meeting him was a great experience.

i hope everyone has a great time tomorrow :dance:

Had a great day, got to the queue at 8.20am, and I took my sunglasses off to go in at 9am, but I wish I had kept them on when I saw Jason's shirt! :thumbup:

Managed to get all of the autographs that I wanted before lunch (except for Aiden Turner), and I only bought a few postcards, somer Japanese chocolate and some American drinks. Sadly, I didn't find the Doctor Who merchandise that I was after.

Back again today to see Liz Sladen. :D

Ok, I had up and down yesterday.

_ I've met very nice guests (matthew Lewis, Daniel Logan, Katee, Jeremy Bulloch)

- well done to the cosplayers!

- some nice stalls

- Star Wars area: good idea

- dispointed with meeting Edi

- I remember this being mentionned last year: sometimes very difficult to hear the talks (questions being asked or guests' answers)

- during auction: one picture was being auctioned. I though I won (as did my friends) but it's been given to the person in front of me) so not really happy with that

- as it happens: photoshoot didn't arrive after 2 hours... I ended having to pay for the photoshoot to be delivered :-(

- when I was queuing for Matthew Lewis, a journalist came and did an interview while the queue was getting bigger and bigger. I just don't understand why the interview is not happening when there are no people (or a very few) waiting

- I was not impressed with a member of the crew in the Star area

- before coming, I posted a message in the thread " talk times and photo ops times" as I had a photoshoot with Edi at 12:00pm and I wanted to go to the Fetts talk at 12:10. I spoke to a member of crew at the photoshoot area, I've been explained that they were running and I was sent at the back of the queue (not helpful for the talk!)

- as mentionned before, somewhere to sit (especiallly when you have health problems and sitting of the floor is not good)

Edited by Myself205

I was supposed to attend both days, but due to an unexpected personal problem I had to cancel Sunday.

Saturday was great, though. Apart from the lack of anywhere to sit (I really don't like sitting on a cold, hard and dirty floor...and I feel for anyone with health problems). The lack of seating is complained about EVERY year and nothing's ever done about it. Was there even a "chill zone" this year? If so, I couldn't find it...it's still far from good enough, though. Surely it wouldn't be THAT hard to set up a couple of seating areas with some plastic chairs or something? Considering this is the most complained about aspect of the con each year, it's annoying nothing is ever really done about it.

But anyway.

I met everyone I wanted autographs from. Aidan Turner arriving so late wasn't ideal but he was really nice and I got long enough with him. To make up for it, Shatner arrived much earlier than expected so that was a great surprise. I thought the Being Human cast were fantastic, and Katee Sackhoff was really fun. Shatner was a pleasant surprsing...he was engaging with fans far more than I was expecting, though I was in one of the early batches so I can't say what it was like during the afternoon. His queue was very controlled - thought it would be chaos getting to him but everything was really well managed, and props to Shatner for letting people take candid photos until they reached the second row.

All in all a good day. Very disappointing I can't attend today and have to miss Shatner's talk, but sometimes through nobody's fault these things just happen, unfortunately.

Edited by Siren

Well Really enjored my self with my children and there freind all the stars we brilllat very chatty and nice u could tell that thay wanted to be there to talk to there fans danny logain was the best very funny and co0uld not do enough for his fans no diss apontments this time. as all stars were really chatty and even when i had my poto shoot with the man mr pertwee as well as mr shatner i font well no amount of praise could be for either. mr petrwee was polite and you colud tell he like having fans like myshef there and mr shatner well he was tirerd but like a true captin carried on and was the most famos person i have ever meet and was the highligt of my day . just to mension that henry davies really made my sons day has he is a big fan of the beano .as with every up there must be a down the only thing i can say bad is that comperd to previos years there was just no room i would sugessrd makikig the space avalible that bit more bigger maybe like 50 meteres just so u could get that bit more room but apart fron that well done showmasters please excuss the spelling has am dylisec

Wow, what can I say....!

It was my first time, and thanks to everyone's advice, I managed to find everything and attend the talks I wanted just fine. I reached Earls Court at 8am and was surprised how many people were already in front of me (but that was nothing compared to the number of people behind me by the time the doors opened).

I'd only planned on attending the two talks I wanted to see (Dr Who and William B. Davis), so I spent the rest of the day wondering around, before finally leaving at 4pm. I have to say, the highlight of my day was seeing all the Cosplayers all dressed up, and they were all so friendly! I'm sure it must've been annoying at times, having random strangers with cameras asking to take their pictures, but they were all in good spirits and very accommodating!

Thank you everyone! :D

PS: I'll be posting my pics in the other thread once I've finally transferred them

PPS: Some people wanted their picture taken with me, I have no idea why, I didn't go dressed-up :P

I heard there were well over 10,000 people on the saturday, and at one point in the afternoon they were considering closing entry for a while!

Anyway, I had a couple of minor gripes about Saturday.

I decided to stick money on my credit card, and buy autograph vouchers and photoshoots on my card at the show. As soon as id got in and got my VT tickets (which was no problem at all), the que for photoshoots was HUGE!!! I wanted a shoot with the Vampire girls though so had no choice but to buy on the day really, plus I wanted another. Well the line then got split into card and cash, so I joined the card. It went so slow it was unbelievable! The cash line was flying past, and as the card line eventually inched closer to the desk, photoshoot after shoot was selling out :uhoh: then when there was only 2 people in front of me, the Saturday Kristianna shoot sold out, so had to get a sunday one (Which clashed with Shatners paid talk!), but got my vampire shoot. Was quing for well over an hour though (according to the texts I sent my friends about it, hour and a half!), but if id had cash it would have been way faster :thumbup: So that annoyed me a little.

Then I went down to the signing area, was deciding who to get first, when I felt someone behind me trying to push me out of the way, turned around and it was JCB giving me a filthy look and pushing past without saying anything to me, but barking at people in her way to move..and as far as I could see, there was no guest with her so she had no reason to push people out of the way like that!

Then about half 11-ish, we joined the que for Katee Sackhoff..the line was going normal, everything was relaxed, katee was chatting to people, so joined it we did, paid for our autos and picked up the photos, then as we were at the table, we were stopped, Katee was told by her staff (not SM) she had to leave for I think it was her photoshoot there and then, and that she wouldnt be back until about half 1!!!! Meanwhile the que behind was still growing, and they were still taking the money, and poor Katee was very apologetic about being made to go there and then! As we'd handed our VT's in and paid etc, we asked a pit boss about what our options were, but thankfully we were told we could go get other people and whatever, and just come back and see them later when katee was back and it would be fine. When we came back, we went straight in, but katee seemed to be getting rushed by jcb and she barely had time to look up and say hi, so was rather dissapointed after that!

Near the end of the day, even though ques were going down, noticed several new no posed photos signs had gone up, but that could have been the guests choices getting tired.

Then, in the late afternoon, my friends and I couldnt remember who the free autograph was from..so we asked around the autograph area and no-one knew, not even the redshirt crew, so we had to go and ask at the organisers booth!

Think they were my only gripes about saturday. Rest of the day was ok.

Edited by crippsy_99

He was more concerned with finding out how long he had before his talk and was desperate for the loo! "I'm sorry was that too much information?" he laughed to the crew member.

I was right there getting an auto signed when he said that! :blush: I was the guy with short hair in a red t-shirt.

Don't think he heard me correctly during the talk though I asked if he had seen SGU and what his opinion of it was but his answer was about whether or not Mitchell would appear on SGU. But since he said he would want to appear on the series and that SGU is a cool show it more or less answered my original question :thumbup:

Edited by Tanith

Then I went down to the signing area, was deciding who to get first, when I felt someone behind me trying to push me out of the way, turned around and it was JCB giving me a filthy look and pushing past without saying anything to me, but barking at people in her way to move..and as far as I could see, there was no guest with her so she had no reason to push people out of the way like that!

I've been attending SM cons since 2006 and I've never had an encounter with the infamous JCB. I know she's responsible for helping SM to get a lot of the bigger names over here but she really shouldn't be allowed to behave like that. If she's really as bad as I've read about, it's totally appalling and inexcusable.

Edited by Siren

Then, in the late afternoon, my friends and I couldnt remember who the free autograph was from..so we asked around the autograph area and no-one knew, not even the redshirt crew, so we had to go and ask at the organisers booth!

Did anyone actually get vouchers for the free autographs? They weren't inside either of the programmes I was given over the weekend.

• Moderators

You didn't need a voucher. I was the guest assistant yesterday for Dante Basco (one of the free ones) and it was simply a case of coming up and asking for an autograph - or in both Dante and Wendy Lee's cases, coming up and them asking if they could sign something for you!

I had to just rely on my memory of who'd already come up for a free one.

I've been attending SM cons since 2006 and I've never had an encounter with the infamous JCB. I know she's responsible for helping SM to get a lot of the bigger names over here but she really shouldn't be allowed to behave like that. If she's really as bad as I've read about, it's totally appalling and inexcusable.

who is jcb?