latest Guest Irvin Kershner

showmasters

• Showmasters Admin

latest Guest Irvin Kershner

This will be a very rare singing by this amazing 86 year old Director

This will be his only planed event in the EU fore some time to come so we are very pleased he can make this event

we have been trying to get him back for years now , so if you want to meet one of the people behind The Empire Strikes Back then do not miss this opportunity

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back - Director

Never Say Never Again - Director

RoboCop 2 - Director

kershkisshh0.jpg

Irvin%20Kershner.JPG

328489106_bec707e129.jpg

http://imdb.com/name/nm0449984/

Great guest, being as I wish to work in film myself, it may be interesting to talk with him. :thumbup:

BTW, I really hope that top picture of him looking at Vader will be available as a 8 x 10 picture to be signed, its hilarious! :P

Great guest to have back and yes a talk would be great although he's a bit hard of hearing.

BTW, I really hope that top picture of him looking at Vader will be available as a 8 x 10 picture to be signed, its hilarious! B)

They did have pics of that 10x8 when he appeared at MK.

Someone here mentioned it before, possibley A007, that there were rumors that Kirshner merely handled the "mechanics" of directing TESB for Lucas (and Never Say Never Again for Connery) as opposed to the creative side...much like Speilberg directing Hooper on Poltergeist. Anyone expand?

• Showmasters Admin

meet the man and you will find out right a way

i was lucky to have some time with this man and Gary Kurtz and i have to say IT WAS AMAZING when they are together they are ESB somehow ? it sound odd but they are very good friends and that shows but there is more what they did together on ESB shows through the two of them

i am sorry i cannot explain more if you get to here them talk you will understand if they get going , which i hope they do

one last thing and i am not going into this to much OK, but if you want to meet this man then DO so now OK

we get chance to meet some of the guest only once and others we meet a lot and then one day we cannot , so think about this .

Irvin is a very rare person to meet, if you care now is the time to meet him, this year is your best chance

jason

• Moderators

Someone here mentioned it before, possibley A007, that there were rumors that Kirshner merely handled the "mechanics" of directing TESB for Lucas (and Never Say Never Again for Connery) as opposed to the creative side...much like Speilberg directing Hooper on Poltergeist. Anyone expand?

I think you may be confusing Kershner on ESB with Marquand on ROJ. By all accounts (and as Jason says you will know this if you meet the guy) ESB is Kersh's baby. The deeper exploration of the character's relationships, the darker, more adult tone, all this came from Kersh. Meanwhile, Kurtz's influences can be seen in the Yoda scenes (which he directed in parts) where his Buddhist background really informed the exploration of the force etc. Lucas's influence is much smaller. After the stresses of ANH he pretty much relinquished ultimate control, which reportedly lead to a few creative conflicts as he was bankrolling things and didn't necessarily like what they were doing with his money. How many BTS shots from Empire have you seen of Lucas? It's all Kersh and Kurtz making that film and for this reason it's ironically the one Lucas likes the least, even though it is widely regarded as the best of the lot.

By the time ROJ came round all that had changed. Kurtz was gone, Marquand installed as director and Lucas a near constant presence on set, even directing a number of key scenes. Never again would he relinquish creative control of his universe, and the films would be a lot poorer for it.

Graham