David Boreanaz special event

CPFC1905

I feel that David is best known and loved for Buffy/angel and this is the case for me as I have only recently found out about Bones because of his interview with Graham Norton. I have watched some but it does not appeal to me as much as he did in buffy and angel and it isn't because of the different genre as I love CSI's and NCIS etc.

Hardly any of my friends watch or heard of bones compared to who watch buffy and angel (I still watch it on fx :(.) . Im sure he asks for a lot of money but IMO he is not worth six figures maybe when buffy or angel was on or just finished but not now.

Buffy and Angel is what he is known best for not bones. He will still get a huge following because of all the 3 shows but I doubt he would get as much now as he would a few years ago.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Just because he's known best for Buffy and Angel by you and your friends, that's not entirely representative.

Yes, perhaps in a more cult circle, indeed Buffy and Angel would be far better known, but I'd say Bones would offer David limelight in a more immediate mainstream fashion.

Of course there's the fact that his role as Angel was far longer than he has been involved in Bones so far, so obviously that will contribute to him being recognised for that, but it still doesn't necessarily mean more people would want to meet him for that.

David is on a show now that has many MILLIONS more viewers than Buffy or Angel every did and is on a bigger channel. This means that the show earns more advertising revenue than Buffy or Angel ever did. Now, here's the key factor. David will be paid a lot MORE for Bones, than he ever was for Buffy or Angel. He is a lead actor in a more successful show on a more succesful channel. Therefore, he can charge a LOT more than he could have done a few years ago to appear at events.

Whether his star in the sci fi community is on the wane cannot really be measured, as the odds of him coming to these shores for a SM event are virtually nil, because he would have to sign more 10x8's than the day would allow. Even if he signed autos at Shatner like speed, the odds of him making money for SM would be infinitely small.

I know for a fact that DB charges a LOT more than other Buffy/Angel guests. We're talking six figure fees.

What potential guests want and what they get can be two different devils. David is no way as much in the limelight with Bones as he was with Buffy and Angel. Once your star fades a little, so do the pay cheques.

What nonsense!

When you go from a show that has an audience for 4M to one with an audience of 8M, your pay cheque goes up, regardless of what genre you are appearing in.

Im very suprised at the viewing figures of bones is that for america or England?

US

I don't know the UK viewing figures, but I'd be surprised if it was over a million.

++edit++

In March 07, it was 607,000 according to the Guardian on this web page

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2007/mar/0...nrichardbranson

Edited by chris_mk

• Showmasters Admin

I'm not jumping in on either side of this. I just have a single point to make.

There is a big difference between viewing figures and the number of people that would turn up to get a guests autograph!

It really depends on the type of show, and if it has a fan base that will travel miles and pay to see the guests. Usually the biggest show guests are those from Sci-Fi and Fantasy. It's fans of these shows/films that usually come to events.

If you go on viewing figures then a main actor in a series that gets in excess of 10 Million UK views per episode would have lines out of the door, right? Two words, Leslie Grantham, because Eastenders fans are not signing event goers! Most of them would probably consider it too geeky.

Yes Bones may have higher viewing figures but would David have lines going out the door if he'd not been Angel? I don't think so.

I'm not saying Bones is a bad show, just that it doesn't fall into the Sci-Fi and Fantasy bracket and so a smaller percentage of it's fans are likely to be event goers.

I love CSI and I'm sure it has far higher viewing ratings than lets say Star Trek Enterprise did. But I know if we got William Peterson and Scott Bakula to a show, Scott would have a line at least twice as long as William's.

People on here may say, well I'd go and see William, but you're forgetting that you are on here because you are a signing event goer. So you are an event goer and a CSI fan. There will be some, but my point is that a much larger percentage of Enterprise fans will be event goers than CSI fans.

There is a big difference between viewing figures and the number of people that would turn up to get a guests autograph!

I agree, but we're really only using viewing figures to point out that David would be able to command a much higher fee now, because he is now a more successful actor than he was on Angel.

I love CSI and I'm sure it has far higher viewing ratings than lets say Star Trek Enterprise did. But I know if we got William Peterson and Scott Bakula to a show, Scott would have a line at least twice as long as William's.

People on here may say, well I'd go and see William, but you're forgetting that you are on here because you are a signing event goer. So you are an event goer and a CSI fan. There will be some, but my point is that a much larger percentage of Enterprise fans will be event goers than CSI fans.

I know this is getting a little off topic, but I have a lot of friends who have never been interested in going to signing events, not their thing they say, but I know they'd all be there in a shot if William Petersen was announced.

I'd wager that David is being paid a lot more now he is on Bones than he was in Angel (because of his success in Angel, coupled with the higher viewing figures on Bones, and the fact that it is a more 'prime time' TV show, etc).

Whether anyone feels he is worth it or not, David and/or his management will likely feel he deserves a HIGHER appearance fee now if not purely for the fact he earns more in his current role.

Whether it is Bones or Angel fans that want his autograph will be irrelevant in the eyes of David's management. Their view will simply be: David is more famous/successful now as he has been in Angel AND Bones; Bones is prime time; Bones has larger viewing figures than Angel ever did; Bones is on TV now, Angel is not; David is paid more for Bones than he was in Angel; etc. Therefore we'll charge the same, if not more, for an appearance.

At least that's my opinion.

I agree, but we're really only using viewing figures to point out that David would be able to command a much higher fee now, because he is now a more successful actor than he was on Angel.

Yes - at least this is why I was using them. B)

With my last sentence I was trying to say that David rather may bring in some new fans who have never thought about attending a signing show, just as jael said. Bones has surely not caused the numbers of his fans to get smaller.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

• Moderators

It's difficult to know really, and I suppose it's all guess work right now - though I'd say the high viewing figures for soaps and the lesser attendees for Leslie Grantham would in part be down to the ease of TTM collecting for soaps .. I know a LOT of people that collect Eastenders autographs, and they're very easy to get through agents and the BBC themselves.

I suppose that's another point to add - the ease in which you can obtain an autograph from someone through other means, and David's certainly isn't one of those you associate with getting elsewhere.

As I said previously, I've never been a fan of Buffy and Angel. I'd heard of them of course, but just never seen them. However, Bones made me into a David Boreanaz fan, and at another convention earlier this year, an autograph of his was auctioned off and I bought it, for £55 I think it was in the end, just because I think his autographs ARE pretty rare and I think he's a fantastic actor.

• 1 month later...

I have met David and he seemed alittle big headed. Regardless of how many viewers you get (wtf are people fighting about that?) Its how he treats his fans that whos what kind of actor he is really. Without his fans he would be nowhere.

I pay alot to go to these events and im sure you all do to and for £500 a time i expect value for money and with David upto £700 a time for him to be rude is not worth it. Id love him to do a SM event but to be treated like every other guest and treat us like any other guest would.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i do love him but i woulnt pay more than £150 for a con ticket to meet him then auto + pic prices ontop.

Or if that failed id just go to LA and stand outside his house till he met me :blink:

Theres no one i would spend HUGE amounts of money on.

• 2 weeks later...
having David as the main guest, then have other small actors/actresses that hes worked with there aswell?

Wouldnt that **** off the other smaller guests though? And inflate his ego??

Surly a Buffy/Angel dedicated con of it's own would be a better and more viable option?

Edited by nicky

• 2 months later...

The last time DB was in the uk the event cost £300 a ticket with several other guests inc james ,the year before in brighton it was an expensive day event and everything was extra when you got there on top i think it was £50 a photo ticket and the same again for an auto it wasnt good, the event was badly run the guests and fans were unhappy and david spent most of his time apologising for the bad time to the fans no wonder he co organised the other event with james which was amazing.

I'd love to see an event but i just think it wouldnt be viable for anyone to run considering as others have said how many he has to sign to make the money back on the fee.

I wish it could be like it was back in the early days, david used to go to a certain sci-fi store in london to sign and it was great if this was then i bet we could have got him to a sm event easily.

Edited by buffy2k

The only problem with the other event seemed to be the bad organisation, and we know SM can organise an amaing event so I think SM could make this work.

The problem I think this time could be that the other two events were whilst Angel was on air so the event was sure to be popular but maybe Bones fans would want to meet him.

I just really wanna meet David!!!

It was also grossly overcharged, there were loads of cons at the time and i dont think £49 for a photo where david wasnt evern asked to pose was very good. You could only have photos signed they printed which was bad quality too for another £50. It was a disaster.

I happily went to the one David and James did themselves for £299 which was well run and you got a free photo with them both and the photos and autos on top were reasonably priced as with all other buffy cons i have been to. I dont mind paying a high fee for limited spaces etc if it is well run and the photos and autos when you get there are not overly inflated.

I'd love SM to do a proper David/buffy con, there seem to be many people asking for one again bring them back like the old days i am sure plenty of fans would go and as you say if it was a DB only event you'd get the bones fans maybe too but i suspect as has been said it would be mainly buffy/angel fans as they tend to go more for cons than crime show fans who are perhaps not as obsessive about their fandom.