Anyone starting to feel Star Wars exhaustion ?

dufresne

I know exactly why we are getting all these first time signers who spoke one line, and I'm very pleased for the Star Wars fans who want to meet them - at least two of them I will be meeting for their other projects. I also appreciate that the calibre of "main" guests so far is very good !

BUT ! Is anyone else starting to suffer from Star Wars overload ? Every time I come on here, there is a new Star Wars guest or feature pinned, and there are nearly as many SW guests now as main guests - 30th anniversary or not !

I know there is room for them with it being in the bigger hall this time, and I'm sure the usual suspects are now cutting & pasting the same meaningless comments about how "they won't turn down Orlando Bloom and Daniel Craig just because Ray Park and Kenny Baker are coming", but you take my point ?

How long has it been since we had a good "main" guest announced ? I know SMs intentions are good, and they consistently put on the best shows in the UK, but I really think they are losing their direction on this one because they are obsessed with making a point. When else have we had prices announced over two months in advance ?

I'm still very much a newbie on the forums, but I have to admit I've been a little disappointed by the recent glut of Star Wars guests announced. I'm not a SW fan so of course that'll be my reaction, but it seems there are so many of them, will there even be space for any non-SW guests?

I will still be going of course to meet some of the mainstream guests that have already been announced, but at the moment I'm guessing that because there are so few I'm interested in, I'll probably only go for 1 day instead of the 2 I'd usually do, and that ultimately means less revenue for Showmasters I guess.

• Moderators

Exhaustion? Nah, like you said we all know why it's happening really - it just makes me think a couple of things:

(1) I wish I was a Star Wars fan so I could be excited about it all!

(2) I'm thankful I'm not a Star Wars fan because I couldn't afford it!

And hey, it gives people something different to "complain" (loosely used!) about - guest prices announced too early. That's a new one :YAHOO:

I certainly take your point, but alongside falling into that 'meaningless comment' section too. I await patiently for the Star Wars stuff to get out of their system, and the focus shifted on other stuff. I'm not overly worried about space etc, I'm sure it'll work out fine in the end. They're usually good at maintaining a balance.

Edited by DavidB

And hey, it gives people something different to "complain" (loosely used!) about - guest prices announced too early. That's a new one :YAHOO:

That part wasn't a complaint - My point was that they are announcing prices ahead of you-know-what, to encourage people to come to Earl's Court instead. I wish they always announced them this early personally !

Yeah itd be good to always have prices announced as early as poss!

Im a SW fan and looking forward to seeing many of the SW guests but I fear for more being announced mainly because I dount ill have the budget to get all of them as well as the main guests I want so Ill have to pick some over the others.

Either that or i dont buy food for a couple of weeks. lol

That part wasn't a complaint - My point was that they are announcing prices ahead of you-know-what, to encourage people to come to Earl's Court instead. I wish they always announced them this early personally !

If they are real die hard Star Wars fans they'll just go to both events anyway.

I'm still very much a newbie on the forums, but I have to admit I've been a little disappointed by the recent glut of Star Wars guests announced. I'm not a SW fan so of course that'll be my reaction, but it seems there are so many of them, will there even be space for any non-SW guests?

Exactly my thoughts (including the new to forum bit, hee) I'm happy for the Star Wars fans of course, they're in for a lovely treat, but I hope they don't forget about the people who aren't into Star Wars!

To be honest I'm a SW fan but I won't be bothering with a lot of these guests because their parts are not really big enough.

I'm not grumbling though because I think the quality of guests at this show is already exceptionally high. If you just take the SW guests out of the equation there are some very notable signers at this event already and theres always the chance there will be more. Lets be honest if SM just said its only Patrick Stewart and the SW guests I reckon the event would still be pretty popular!

Im not a SW fan, but looking at all these guests that have been announced and in a way nobodies, unless they have another noted role Im guessing quite a few wont be that popular.

Im still holding out for a few more potter guests lol, its a BIG year for potter and I want mooooore! :YAHOO:

RE: prices in advace, its a great idea, should be done more often. Its gives me time to work out how much money I will need to put away each week to be able to afford the autographs I want.

I’m a fan of the Star Wars movies but have no desire to meet any of the guest’s announced due to the fact that they appeared on screen for what? 10 seconds or had a line to say (Baker & Park are of course not included in that statement, but met them before), I can only believe the very hard-core fans will be interested in them so don’t really expect them to be that busy, weren’t there a few similar calibre SW guests at C10/C11, where they busy?

It seems to be the new fad with a lot of conventions thou getting these type of SW guests, in a few years it will probably be the Lord of the Rings with us seeing the likes of the guy who played the third orc in from the left fifth row back in that one battle scene.

I’m happy for the people who are happy to see them thou, would be nice to see a few other announcements from other films/tv shows.

Edited by stobbs

To be honest I'm a SW fan but I won't be bothering with a lot of these guests because their parts are not really big enough.

I'm of the same feeling - although there are a couple of good names amongst those SM have listed that I am interested in.

I'm not a SW fan but with a few people saying on here, that they might have to choose between the guests, makes me think that with Showmasters having so many SW guests and one show, they could actually loose money as well as make it, becuase...

If these SW guests were split between a couple of showmasters events then people might then be able to afford more autographs. With having so many at one event and quite a lot of people (though not all) having a limited budget and having to save for weeks/months before an event, means some people wont be getting as many autos as they might have if they could see some of the guests later in the year at another Showmasters event, (giving them time to save) Hmmm?

For me personally the more guests going I don't want to see, the better, as it means I'll be spending less on autogrpahs then some :D

:P

LLAP :borg:

Edited by zebredy

I wonder if SM could consider some sort of deal on some of these lesser known SW guests. Maybe a bit late now as they will have been signed up on cone-tracts but for the future perhaps they could consider a "three signatures for £20" deal off a certain list of guests. I know there would be some practicality issues but might be worth considering.

Oh yeah and I also hope there is going to be a good mix of stalls at the event, and that there not almost taken over by SW stuff (no offence ment by that) itts just my oppinion.

Was wondering don't showmasters run an event called Empire day, why didn't they just call this event Empire Day meets LFACC would have been a better title for the event in my oppinion, cause yes frankly SW is taking over some what, though whether thats a good or bad thing I'm not sure yet, cause Im after a lightsaber and what with SW begining to seem like the main theme of this particular LFACC, should be able to get my hands on a good priced one.

As others have said, just hope SW doesn't take over to the point of it becoming Empire Day with a few other none SW guests along for the ride, so to speak....

:P

LLAP :borg:

Just my 2pence on the subject, please don't shoot me for having an oppinion

• Showmasters Admin

"they could actually loose money "

This would not be the first time we lost money :P

but as long as the show is good for the star wars fans and i want to meet some of them myself

and i did say that we would have 15 new star wars guests to this show and we are on the way to getting that number

as to other guests we will have more none star wars guests soon for this event

jason

I'm a starwars fan and can't wait for the show. Its going to cost a bit but worth it. Even the non starwars guets list is looking very impressive and I'm sure the line up is not complete yet.

Big thanks goes out to Jason/Graham/HR for finding these 1st time signers

Jason

I attended my first Earl's Court event last year - I went for Carrie, and I wasn't planing on attending this year. Enough expensive days already.

And even the likes of Patrick Stewart hadn't tempted me.

But all these Star Wars people have really tipped the boat for me.

I mean we only get one 30th Anniversary.

As much as I love Star Wars I feel that its 30th Anniversary is overshadowing other shows celebrating milestones. It'd be great to get some Buffy people to celebrate its 10 years.

What does everybody else think?

There's still two more shows to come in 2007 after Comic Con: Collectormania 21 and G-Mex 3.

Generally every show has kind of a theme. Quite obviously the LFACC one is Star Wars. Nobody said that there won't be a celebration of Buffy at one of the other shows. :P