autograph pens

garnerman

every time i go i find that i get at least 1 autographs thats ruined due to the pen they use is rubbish, does anyone know exactly what brand of pen they use and also if anyones got any suggestions on a pen i can bring with me (i've already bought a pack of 4 sharpies) as i know by time i meet james or brandon them pens are going to be WELL USED...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The worst culprit for ruined autographs tend to be the Gold & Silver pens,they take a long time to dry so can easily smudge.Also have a tendency to either run dry or 'blob' out ink whilst being used.

The best bet are the Sharpies you already have and these are normally used by most guests.

Have now found if you politley ask the guest they will be quite happy to either use your pen or one of theirs that you are happy with.

Edited by teroknor34

yeah its the paint pens i'm afraid its happened to all of us the best you can get is a blue sharpie as a couple of the other colours tend to slightly discolour over time and if its to dark for the area its being signed in i'd suggest a silver sharpie although you have to make sure you store them upright

Its not always the pens that are used though. I find it can be how you store a signed photo cause when I first started collecting them I lost two due to A ) putting them away to quickly and B ) cause one of the signatures came off in the folder it was in...

I find grease proof paper is great, just put that in between a pic (once dry) and you should have no problems of the autograph coming off for what ever reason. That or some people I know just use plain paper, the cheap kind you print on...

At the moment, I'm finding it hard to find any silver sharpies, anyone know where I can get one before the weekend?

:hathor:

LLAP :borg:

Edited by zebredy

I use the Edding Paint Marker751 (fine) Silver and Gold twin pack from HobbyCraft I find them excellent, the Pilot one's I have found the signatures do actually 'break off' over time.

The Edding 751 in Blue is fantastic if you get a light background on your photo, Hobbycraft will order you singles but they have to order a box of 10, (just tell them you want 2!) same as the Black. The Black 751 is a big step up from the Sharpie in terms of result.

Leave them to dry (for ages) then they are ok to put in a sleeve, cocked up on that one too many times in the past.

My Lord of Rings collection is standing at 250+ over 6 years and I have tried the lot, but find these the best and I always ask the guests to use my pen.

Its only my opinion, I appreciate everybody finds different versions that suit themselves though.

The Black 751 is a big step up from the Sharpie in terms of result.

Leave them to dry (for ages) then they are ok to put in a sleeve, cocked up on that one too many times in the past.

how are these better than sharpies if you have to leave them to dry?the whole point of sharpies are that they dry practically instantly i always use sharpies unless i want a finer auto then i use staedtler lumocolor which are also permanent markers and dry instantly and come in a variety of nib sizes they can be bought from most typewriter shops etc they are used for marking difficult surfaces like cds and photos hope this helps

The big problem with Sharpies is that you can't buy them anywhere except America (maybe Canada too, but not sure). They have every type listed on their site, but no way to order them.

In the past, I've had friends send them over and my brother in law bring a bunch back when he was in the US. I'm now the proud owner of about 20 black, 20 silver, 1 green (present from someone) and a couple of blue Sharpies. I guard them with my life...

I also love Color Sharps. They're metallic, have two nibs on each pen (one like the fine sharpie, one ultra fine, very nice for books) and come in packs of five colours: silver, gold, green, blue and purple. They show up really well, because of the metallic sheen. They dry less quickly then Sharpies, but they look very beautiful.

Same problem though, ni way to get them if you're not in the US...

I find that some pictures do get ruined by the sleeves I keep them in. You can get acid-free sleeves, those have no solvants, so the sig stays good. They are a bit expensive though, am slowly changing mine bit by bit. On the other hand, I rarely take my photos out, and I've only found two ruined sigs in my collection. One of those isn't even mine, but my boyfriend's. So in a total of 800, 2 smudges isn't bad.

The big problem with Sharpies is that you can't buy them anywhere except America (maybe Canada too, but not sure). They have every type listed on their site, but no way to order them.

In the past, I've had friends send them over and my brother in law bring a bunch back when he was in the US. I'm now the proud owner of about 20 black, 20 silver, 1 green (present from someone) and a couple of blue Sharpies. I guard them with my life...

I also love Color Sharps. They're metallic, have two nibs on each pen (one like the fine sharpie, one ultra fine, very nice for books) and come in packs of five colours: silver, gold, green, blue and purple. They show up really well, because of the metallic sheen. They dry less quickly then Sharpies, but they look very beautiful.

Same problem though, ni way to get them if you're not in the US...

I find that some pictures do get ruined by the sleeves I keep them in. You can get acid-free sleeves, those have no solvants, so the sig stays good. They are a bit expensive though, am slowly changing mine bit by bit. On the other hand, I rarely take my photos out, and I've only found two ruined sigs in my collection. One of those isn't even mine, but my boyfriend's. So in a total of 800, 2 smudges isn't bad.

i got my from staples a pack of 4 black £3.99!!!

you can get sharpies is asda and I think in wilkinsons and in WHSmiths, I have only ever seen them in black, blue and red though. You dont get so many fancy colours here.

Ebay has LOADS!

I leave my autographs to dry for a bit then pop them in a plastic carrier bag until i get back to my hotel where I put them in my huge photoalbum/scrapbook

Sharpie are stopping making the gold pens , and are also in the process of stopping the silver ones , because of the length of time it takes them to dry - you will struggle to get any of these within a couple of years , which is why people have been selling these two colours , and maybe bronze , seperately on eBay .

Sharpie are stopping making the gold pens , and are also in the process of stopping the silver ones , because of the length of time it takes them to dry - you will struggle to get any of these within a couple of years , which is why people have been selling these two colours , and maybe bronze , seperately on eBay .

Sanford stopped making gold pens at least a year, and probably two years, ago. (May well have had something to do with the price of gold, since they did actually use real gold.)

According to their website they are still making silver

http://www.sharpie500.com/sanford/consumer...g/bycolor.jhtml

As for buying them in the UK, both Makro and Costco carry them.

Also an interesting entry in the Sharpie FAQ:

How long does a permanent marker last?

We do not have a mathematical formula to figure how long a permanent marker will "last." With outdoor exposure on a nonporous surface, the marks from a dye base marker will be gone in perhaps three to four months. With indoor exposure on a porous surface, like artist canvas or paper, we would expect marks from a dye base marker to last several years.

Resins or surfactants give the ink the ability to adhere to various surfaces. Thus, we have markers for non-porous and glossy surfaces, markers for oily or wet surfaces and markers that can withstand extreme heat.

The solvents that are used mix all of the ingredients together, or dissolve them to form the ink. The solvents used also determine the solvent resistance of the markings. Various solvents used in inks are alcohol, ketone, xylene and glycol ethers.

Edited by TommyT

I don't have a problem with any of the colours used because a couple of years ago I bought a small, clear plastic box file (A4 size, about 2cm deep) - the pics don't get crushed that way and as long as you don't turn it upside down, there's plenty of drying time while you're queuing for the next one. They're also great for protecting pics when you throw everything in a suitcase. They're sold in Smiths and Paperchase (right near Costas in MK), but you can see what I'm on about HERE

Edited by sazzra

Best advice I can give is when you get home, remove your photos from their folders and leave them out in a cool room for 24 hours.

As for clear folders, I use Twinlock A4 Presentation Punched Pockets, which can be bought at places like Staples and Office World. I prefer the side-opening ones because it makes it easier to get photos in an out and they don't all out of the ring binders.

:YAHOO:

I don't have a problem with any of the colours used because a couple of years ago I bought a small, clear plastic box file (A4 size, about 2cm deep) - the pics don't get crushed that way and as long as you don't turn it upside down, there's plenty of drying time while you're queuing for the next one. They're also great for protecting pics when you throw everything in a suitcase. They're sold in Smiths and Paperchase (right near Costas in MK), but you can see what I'm on about HERE

I use one of those as well - they're great for putting your autos in on the day and allows the ink to dry without getting smudge or bashed.

I've bought Sharpies before from Tescos or WHSmiths but they only seem to sell the black ones. Bought pastel coloured ones in Mexico last year in the Walmart (Asda)!!! they are really fun colours but not sure they'd be that good on autos :YAHOO:

surfy sah xx

ps-I once left a pile of autos stacked up and I found the sigs then appeared on the back of the 8x10 on top :YAHOO: I don't collected signetures as much as I used to when I first started coming to SM events at C4 so I'm not toooo bothered :YAHOO:

A promotions team from Sharpies were at Autographica this year, giving away a variety of colours and styles of pen.

I had a chat with them about silver pens in particular, and metallic ones in general. They stated that the reason that metallic Sharpies are not sold in the UK (or in Europe in general) is that the solvent used is not approved for sale here.

They are very well aware of the demand for metallic pens, but at present do not have a product which they can legally supply.

So, if you want gold or silver ink you will need to use a paint pen from another supplier. These all have the disadvantage of long drying times, and a particular problem that they can feel dry on the surface, without having dried through fully.

If you are going to use such pens, I would strongly advise taking your own, so that you can avoid any with damaged tips at the tables, and also take a box, rather than a tight sleeve, that you can transport the 10"x8" photo in, after it feels dry, while the paint finishes curing.

*** DISENGAGE LURK MODE ***

I have some autographs that have been done with the gold and silver pens it rubs off after time I find.

Been a long time since I've posted here but I hate the thought of people losing autographs so I thought I'd better reply to this.

You'll find there's nothing wrong with gold and silver pens, contrary to this post they don't rub off after a time. The trouble is the way you're storing your photos. Unfortunately most photo albums, A4 pockets etc. are not acid free. The acid in the pocket or photo album eats away at the autograph. Gold and silver are destroyed quickest and that's why those autographs have rubbed off. But black sharpie and even the photos themselves will fade over time as well.

Acid free pages are more expensive (I normally pay around 20p per page for mine) but compared to losing the autograph they're well worth it.

*** RE-ENGAGE LURK MODE ***

I've been using WH Smiths acid free pages since 2003 and haven't lost any Silver/Gold autographs (touches wood!) a 50 pack costs £1.99. As stated previously always wait until they're defo dry before you put them in!