New Attendees advice thread

Raylenth

10 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

I think you'd be fine fanowaty, as long as you check there isn't anything in the t&c's of the entry tickets I don't see it being an issue.

Well, I don't see anything in the decription of the entry tickets about that. So I guess I should be fine? I just don't want to be stopped and not allowed to enter by some security or crew members.

Not a question, so just some general advice for those who are new to conventions. Make sure you're organised for the days you're attending. This is very important, and coming from experience, it's good to be organised when going to conventions. Make sure you're on time for everything you want to do. Last year, I made a timetable for the photoshoots I had booked, which made my day easier to manage. Make sure to bring food and drinks to the convention with you.  It does get hot, so drinks come in handy. Personally, and this may not apply to everyone, but I like to think about what I'm going to say to a guest. I'm a really shy person, so I find this useful. Most importantly, though, remember to enjoy your time at the convention! :smile:

Edited by ChloeLou
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, ChloeLou said:

Not a question, so just some general advice for those who are new to conventions. Make sure you're organised for the days you're attending. This is very important, and coming from experience, it's good to be organised when going to conventions. Make sure you're on time for everything you want to do. Last year, I made a timetable for the photoshoots I had booked, which made my day easier to manage. Make sure to bring food and drinks to the convention with you.  It does get hot, so drinks come in handy. Personally, and this may not apply to everyone, but I like to think about what I'm going to say to a guest. I'm a really shy person, this I find this useful. Most importantly, though, remember to enjoy your time at the convention! :smile:

That's quite a few awesome advices right there ;)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ChloeLou said:

Personally, and this may not apply to everyone, but I like to think about what I'm going to say to a guest. I'm a really shy person, this I find this useful.

I do the same, I try to think in advance what to say or how to greet guests so I’m not tongue-tied in the moment - I’m very shy as well and I tend to forget all my English when I’m nervous, since it’s not my native language :WINCE: I’m also trying to think what poses I want to do for photo ops and how to ask guests...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fanowaty said:

By the way, does anyone know - if I will be 17 at the time of the event (plus a friend of mine will also be 17), should we still be accompanied by an adult, or can we enter the LFCC by our own?

According to the tickets page, the maximum age for a child ticket is 12.

And according to the Cosplay Masquerade section on the main website, under-16s who participate must be accompanied by a parent or guardian (but not on the stage).

And I’ve known some around your age entering past LFCCs without any adults.

So, it should be ok.

Edited by Sebster118
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sebster118 said:

According to the tickets page, the maximum age for a child ticket is 12.

And according to the Cosplay Masquerade section on the main website, under-16s who participate must be accompanied by a parent or guardian (but not on the stage).

And I’ve known some around your age entering past LFCCs without any adults.

So, it should be ok.

Thank you ;) I hope it will be fine :) 

15 hours ago, R4wly97 said:

Can you give the guests presents like chocolate?

If so has anyone done this before?

I have given a few food items in the past.

It’s better to give food items bought from shops or the stalls as it’s something they can consume and know it’s safe, and when you’re meeting then for autographs rather than photoshoots.

It’s not happened to me, but there is a small chance they could decline due to dietary requirements/preferences.

9 hours ago, ChloeLou said:

Not a question, so just some general advice for those who are new to conventions. Make sure you're organised for the days you're attending. This is very important, and coming from experience, it's good to be organised when going to conventions. Make sure you're on time for everything you want to do. Last year, I made a timetable for the photoshoots I had booked, which made my day easier to manage. Make sure to bring food and drinks to the convention with you.  It does get hot, so drinks come in handy. Personally, and this may not apply to everyone, but I like to think about what I'm going to say to a guest. I'm a really shy person, so I find this useful. Most importantly, though, remember to enjoy your time at the convention! :smile:

Indeed. Plan ahead.

Even booked a hotel room and got time off work as soon as I knew the dates for this year’s event.

Have booked a different cheaper hotel that’s just as close but not 100% sure about pedestrian routes to the nearest tube station (staying at the Premier Inn near the Chiswick roundabout).

An additional bit of advice -- just to add to what ChloeLou said, and based on my experience last year:  read the schedule.  Read it again, and pay really close attention to the times.  I had noted when a photo shoot I'd bought BEGAN, but had not paid nearly as much attention to when it ended.  A fact which became super important when I found myself waiting in the queue to get in as the minutes were ticking away.

I would also add that, when something goes wrong, go IMMEDIATELY to the Showmasters desk and explain the situation.  I can't guarantee that they'll be able to resolve every problem, but they can do a lot more on-site than they could do if you wait and e-mail them to complain after the fact.

(Also, they do not give you a map.  They post maps on the walls.  I kept looking for maps when I needed them, until I noticed someone taking a picture of one with his mobile.  Genius.)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Pir8Jenny said:

An additional bit of advice -- just to add to what ChloeLou said, and based on my experience last year:  read the schedule.  Read it again, and pay really close attention to the times.  I had noted when a photo shoot I'd bought BEGAN, but had not paid nearly as much attention to when it ended.  A fact which became super important when I found myself waiting in the queue to get in as the minutes were ticking away.

I would also add that, when something goes wrong, go IMMEDIATELY to the Showmasters desk and explain the situation.  I can't guarantee that they'll be able to resolve every problem, but they can do a lot more on-site than they could do if you wait and e-mail them to complain after the fact.

(Also, they do not give you a map.  They post maps on the walls.  I kept looking for maps when I needed them, until I noticed someone taking a picture of one with his mobile.  Genius.)

That last bit indeed is genius!! I will take a picture of that map myself this year :D

55 minutes ago, Pir8Jenny said:

All great advice, I found writing out in chronological list form all the activities I had each day including, as you say, finish times as well as start times with details of where each activity was, what batch/dp they were etc very helpful for me personally

Just now, Broo said:

All great advice, I found writing out in chronological list form all the activities I had each day including, as you say, finish times as well as start times with details of where each activity was, what batch/dp they were etc very helpful for me personally

I make an Excel file myself too, with all my sessions and their time frames. ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Broo said:

Yeah, that's similar to what I've done in the past. Done up a spreadsheet breaking down where and when the photoshoots are and what batch I have for each, then take it a step further by setting up reminders for them all in my phone's calendar. Was interesting setting 3 photoshoots in my calendar for the same time on the Sunday morning. :lol::smile:

Edited by wjbleming
1 item of text speech was used. ¬_¬
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, wjbleming said:

Yeah, that's similar to what I've done in the past. Done up a spreadsheet breaking down where and when the photoshoots are and wat batch I have for each, then take it a step further by setting up reminders for them all in my phone's calendar. Was interesting setting 3 photoshoots in my calendar for the same time on the Sunday morning. :lol::smile:

Oh phone reminders! Great idea that! Though I suppose one must be careful about a reminder going off during a talk?

I tend to draw everything up by hand on paper so I have it within easy access if necessary. Even with a portable charger, it's more likely than not my phone would die mid show.

I unashamedly take a lot of pride and enjoymemt in creating my schedule though. I'm often very undecided about exactly which guests I want to meet (outside of any diamonds) up until then, because I typically want to meet so many people for so many different reasons, but have to be a bit strict with my finances. The moment I write that schedule, it locks in exactly who i'm going to meet and when. Then I can really get excited about the show.