Has anyone met Rutger Hauer yet?

I had a photo with him on the last photo shoot on Saturday. He was really lovely to everyone & you could see the Showmasters staff trying to speed him up. I rushed through my shoot then ran with minutes to spare to a photo shoot with Famke Jansen.........Wow what a difference........So cold!

Such a shame to Finnish my London Showmasters experience on her & not Rutger.

I must say it was a great event this year. Well done everyone at Showmasters.

I surprised my mum with a diamond pass for him, he's been her absolute idol forever and wore out 4 VHS copies of The Hitcher back in the day haha. We saw him first, I didn't have a ticket but the lovely people said I could be moral support as she was anxious and a first timer. I stayed out of the way and just took pictures of them meeting off to the side. But he absolutely made her year, he took time to chat with her, signed her copy of The Hitcher, personalized it and drew a little heart on it for her. His minder was really nice and didn't mind me photographing the whole thing. Total once in a lifetime opportunity for my Mum whos been going through a bad time recently and to see her so happy made my day too. At the photo session he gave her a big hug and said she looked lovely.

Just over the moon for her and wish I could thank him for absolutely brightening her year. Lovely lovely man. Worth every penny.

i was in front of you at the queue for Rutger's autograph-I remember your Mum saying she wore out the VHS tapes(back in the day!)He wss lovely-very calm and chilled.Glad your Mum enjoyed her day

Hi! I think you and the guy behind us helped chill her out a bit more actually haha. She was very anxious about the whole con thing, but a combo of nice people and some lovely guests has made her want to go again next year. Good to meet you!

• Like 1

Rutger was the slowest photoshoot, gladly! Because he was greeting everyone and chatting to everyone! Some for a good minute, slow line, but a joy to watch him in action making people smile and listening to people. Utterly mesmerising just being in his line for ages watching him do his thing. My hats off to him.

I can understand why a signature line slow like that will be frustrating for people waiting, but in a photo shoot its awesome!

but after witnessing Rutger walking to the lifts to leave, 2 men (kinda looked like dealers) were shouting at him to sign photos they had. This certainly wasn't nice to see as they were having a go at him for leaving and I would hope this doesn't stop him coming back again for another con in the future.

Urrggggghhh Dealers.... some are scum of the earth (not all obviously) but I constantly witness their behaviour and hounding, I have wanted to hit a few over the years for vile antics at events (seen them push children out the way even!). These days all I see is them driving the celebrities away before fans get to say even a quick hello even!

• Like 2

even managed a brief chat about the backstage shenanigans of Flesh + Blood.

What did he have to say about that or Verhoeven?

He didn't mention Verhoeven but just said that the budget for the film ran out and the location was very cold so everyone was grumpy. Having read about what happened behind the scenes I was interested what he was going to say.

Edited by LSM
  • Like 1

Rutger was the slowest photoshoot, gladly! Because he was greeting everyone and chatting to everyone! Some for a good minute, slow line, but a joy to watch him in action making people smile and listening to people. Utterly mesmerising just being in his line for ages watching him do his thing. My hats off to him.

I can understand why a signature line slow like that will be frustrating for people waiting, but in a photo shoot its awesome!

but after witnessing Rutger walking to the lifts to leave, 2 men (kinda looked like dealers) were shouting at him to sign photos they had. This certainly wasn't nice to see as they were having a go at him for leaving and I would hope this doesn't stop him coming back again for another con in the future.

Urrggggghhh Dealers.... some are scum of the earth (not all obviously) but I constantly witness their behaviour and hounding, I have wanted to hit a few over the years for vile antics at events (seen them push children out the way even!). These days all I see is them driving the celebrities away before fans get to say even a quick hello even!

I agree. Dealers are 100% pure scum, aggressive bloodhounds and frustrating to witness at cons and red carpet events.

I do recognise them at Showmaster events, especially yesterday.

To hear that they approached Rutger in that manner really grates on me and they should have been ejected out of the building.

Edited by Graphic_Delusions
  • Like 2

I was in by 9:10 on Saturday morning and ended up with a vq number of 400 odd so i knew an auto wouldn't be very promising. I only just made the photoshoot on the Saturday afternoon as they cut it off about 5 people after me!

I did really feel sorry for those behind me though.

Anyway, i went in for the shoot and he asked me what time it was while i was stood there trying to pose, i said around 6 ish :smile: He just seemed to want to talk to everyone, bless him.

I had a vq of 187 on the Sunday and just managed to scrape through to get his auto before he went for his talk. It wasn't personalised but i don't mind. I said hi, shook his hand and off i went, a happy woman. A lovely man :smile:

I was in by 9:10 on Saturday morning and ended up with a vq number of 400 odd so i knew an auto wouldn't be very promising. I only just made the photoshoot on the Saturday afternoon as they cut it off about 5 people after me!

I did really feel sorry for those behind me though.

Anyway, i went in for the shoot and he asked me what time it was while i was stood there trying to pose, i said around 6 ish :smile: He just seemed to want to talk to everyone, bless him.

I had a vq of 187 on the Sunday and just managed to scrape through to get his auto before he went for his talk. It wasn't personalised but i don't mind. I said hi, shook his hand and off i went, a happy woman. A lovely man :smile:

Was that in the afternoon? I was the last guy in the queue before they closed it off. I took the fake pint of Guinness in with me for the photo!

• Like 2

We managed to meet Rutger on the Sunday, missed him on the sat as the VT's didn't get high enough. We got to the venue at about 8.20ish and went pretty much straight to his queue but still only got 200+ on the tickets. Sunday we managed to get there a bit earlier, despite almost getting cycled over on the way in! and managed to get 130. We were in the queue for him for about 2 hours, as he was obviously a chatty guest, then he had a break for about 30mins, and about 10-15 people were put in the queue in front of us during this time. We were the first people not to be allowed personalisation.

But despite the wait, extra in the queue, no personalisation, it was worth all of it to meet him. If you think about everything he has done in his career, almost 50 years worth, I was amazed he was only £25 (especially as that was the same as Michelle Gomez, who I have to admit to not knowing until I looked her up, bad geek, not up on recent Doctor Who). We didn't chat with him too much as I realised there was still a hell of a queue behind me, but did get a handshake and brief chat while he signed.

Personally, I would rather find the guest is like him, friendly, appreciative and wants to interact with his fans, and maybe miss out on meeting them (or have to put in some effort to manage it, early start, long wait, etc) than meet someone who is just churning through the autographs, either because someone is hurrying them up or because they aren't that interested in being there.

And end of the day, if you REALLY want to meet a popular guest, then there are the diamond passes.

I mean, since when was 260 too high a VT number for almost ANY guest?

I'm sorry but even Sigourney Weaver blasted through all her Diamonds last year, THOUSANDS of photos, a talk and still saw 300+ odd punters.

I've found that for any of the bigger guests anything over 200 and you don't have much chance, depending on the day. Jeremy Renner on sat I checked at 3ish and the vt numbers were still on 1-25 (We had tickets around 230), whereas on Sunday he was pretty much open queue by 2 (we had VT 90 ish)

Which day did you see Sigourney get that high on the vt numbers? When I checked later in the afternoon on the sat they had literally just called 1-10 (yes 10, not 100!) as they'd had so many Diamond passes.

I surprised my mum with a diamond pass for him, he's been her absolute idol forever and wore out 4 VHS copies of The Hitcher back in the day haha. We saw him first, I didn't have a ticket but the lovely people said I could be moral support as she was anxious and a first timer. I stayed out of the way and just took pictures of them meeting off to the side. But he absolutely made her year, he took time to chat with her, signed her copy of The Hitcher, personalized it and drew a little heart on it for her. His minder was really nice and didn't mind me photographing the whole thing. Total once in a lifetime opportunity for my Mum whos been going through a bad time recently and to see her so happy made my day too. At the photo session he gave her a big hug and said she looked lovely.

Just over the moon for her and wish I could thank him for absolutely brightening her year. Lovely lovely man. Worth every penny.

i was in front of you at the queue for Rutger's autograph-I remember your Mum saying she wore out the VHS tapes(back in the day!)He wss lovely-very calm and chilled.Glad your Mum enjoyed her day

Hi! I think you and the guy behind us helped chill her out a bit more actually haha. She was very anxious about the whole con thing, but a combo of nice people and some lovely guests has made her want to go again next year. Good to meet you!

And you-saw her later at the photo shoot from a distance and said hi :smile:

Rutger seemed like a really nice guy. I had two autographs off him, one I was picking up for a friend. The only problem I had was that on the auto for my friend (which was on a close up headshot of him) he signed over his own forehead and chin. I thought I should've asked him to sign it at the bottom in silver but who am I to tell Rutger Hauer what to do? Made me laugh though. I almost want to keep it for myself.

We managed to meet Rutger on the Sunday, missed him on the sat as the VT's didn't get high enough. We got to the venue at about 8.20ish and went pretty much straight to his queue but still only got 200+ on the tickets. Sunday we managed to get there a bit earlier, despite almost getting cycled over on the way in! and managed to get 130. We were in the queue for him for about 2 hours, as he was obviously a chatty guest, then he had a break for about 30mins, and about 10-15 people were put in the queue in front of us during this time. We were the first people not to be allowed personalisation.

But despite the wait, extra in the queue, no personalisation, it was worth all of it to meet him. If you think about everything he has done in his career, almost 50 years worth, I was amazed he was only £25 (especially as that was the same as Michelle Gomez, who I have to admit to not knowing until I looked her up, bad geek, not up on recent Doctor Who). We didn't chat with him too much as I realised there was still a hell of a queue behind me, but did get a handshake and brief chat while he signed.

Personally, I would rather find the guest is like him, friendly, appreciative and wants to interact with his fans, and maybe miss out on meeting them (or have to put in some effort to manage it, early start, long wait, etc) than meet someone who is just churning through the autographs, either because someone is hurrying them up or because they aren't that interested in being there.

And end of the day, if you REALLY want to meet a popular guest, then there are the diamond passes.

I'm sorry but even Sigourney Weaver blasted through all her Diamonds last year, THOUSANDS of photos, a talk and still saw 300+ odd punters.

I've found that for any of the bigger guests anything over 200 and you don't have much chance, depending on the day. Jeremy Renner on sat I checked at 3ish and the vt numbers were still on 1-25 (We had tickets around 230), whereas on Sunday he was pretty much open queue by 2 (we had VT 90 ish)

Which day did you see Sigourney get that high on the vt numbers? When I checked later in the afternoon on the sat they had literally just called 1-10 (yes 10, not 100!) as they'd had so many Diamond passes.

I think it is fantastic that Rutger was giving so much to his fans, it makes him a credit to himself. I saw the same with Mark Hamill two weeks before. I also saw hundreds of genuinely devastated fans distraught at not getting to see Hamill, even after a couple of days trying. I was so lucky to get to meet him, and had a phenomenal experience at his autograph table, one of my best ever in fact but I really felt for those who missed out in part due to the organisation of that event.

Now, obviously some novice attendees do rock up at any old time thinking they can just meet a popular guest. Consequently, not meeting them can spur them on to planning better next time (if they attend next time), but I am no novice. I plan well and in 8 years of doing these things I have NEVER gone home from a Showmasters event having not got an autograph I came for. Sadly Rutger was the very first time.

And don't forget, this is only the second year Diamond Passes have been used at LFCC and we are all getting used to how those passes impact on a guest's availability throughout the show.

My gripe is that Jason said Diamond Passes were primarily a means for them to be able to book bigger guests we kept asking for. It is sound business that an expensive Diamond Pass give Showmasters get an immediate return on what is no doubt a larger-than-average investment to book certain guests, and in exchange, hardcore fans get guaranteed meets/photos etc.

What is troubling me though is the prospect of any decent guest getting slapped with a Diamond Pass like Rutger. He was £25 an auto and see no reason why he needed to be a Diamond Pass. Renner and Lundgren, yes. But even for people like Mads Mikkelsen, who can get through good numbers of attendees, was there all 3 days, and whose auto was not even on the mega expensive end, probably didn't need to be Diamond, nor Famke Janssen. Hutger certainly not.

Just my opinion, but I see Diamond's as being for the Sigourney and MJFox's of the world. I saw both Gambon and Paxton without one last year. There are many guests that I would still love to meet one day but there are very few where I would want to pay hundreds for each for a diamond pass. I think the passes ARE pretty good value on a literal level when you look at what they contain, but I do not want or need multiple autos, a photo and talks for every guest, and so it stops being good value, just additional expense you don't want to pay, even if you can.

I think Rutger is a truly great actor but I just wanted one £25 auto from him from Blade Runner. Didn't need a photoshoot, I'm not bothered about talks. It makes no sense for me to buy a Diamond Pass for almost every guest I could imagine(!). If more and more mid-range guests become Diamond guests, and these celebs are only getting through a couple hundred VT tickets a day, then I see meeting guests a far more frustrating endeavor later down the line. I'm sorry, but Rutger is NOT a queue up at 6am guest if you want a fair chance to see him with a VT.

I'd also say again Showmasters could do a better job at managing guests like Rutger by limiting the time they spend with each attendee so more fans get to see them. You can have a great meeting without it being overly long and doing so would increase the chances of non-Diamond pass holders seeing great guests like him.

Edited by Dent_1

I think it is fantastic that Rutger was giving so much to his fans, it makes him a credit to himself. I saw the same with Mark Hamill two weeks before. I also saw hundreds of genuinely devastated fans distraught at not getting to see Hamill, even after a couple of days trying. I was so lucky to get to meet him, and had a phenomenal experience at his autograph table, one of my best ever in fact but I really felt for those who missed out in part due to the organisation of that event.

Now, obviously some novice attendees do rock up at any old time thinking they can just meet a popular guest. Consequently, not meeting them can spur them on to planning better next time (if they attend next time), but I am no novice. I plan well and in 8 years of doing these things I have NEVER gone home from a Showmasters event having not got an autograph I came for. Sadly Rutger was the very first time.

And don't forget, this is only the second year Diamond Passes have been used at LFCC and we are all getting used to how those passes impact on a guest's availability throughout the show.

My gripe is that Jason said Diamond Passes were primarily a means for them to be able to book bigger guests we kept asking for. It is sound business that an expensive Diamond Pass give Showmasters get an immediate return on what is no doubt a larger-than-average investment to book certain guests, and in exchange, hardcore fans get guaranteed meets/photos etc.

What is troubling me though is the prospect of any decent guest getting slapped with a Diamond Pass like Rutger. He was £25 an auto and see no reason why he needed to be a Diamond Pass. Renner and Lundgren, yes. But even for people like Mads Mikkelsen, who can get through good numbers of attendees, was there all 3 days, and whose auto was not even on the mega expensive end, probably didn't need to be Diamond, nor Famke Janssen. Hutger certainly not.

Just my opinion, but I see Diamond's as being for the Sigourney and MJFox's of the world. I saw both Gambon and Paxton without one last year. There are many guests that I would still love to meet one day but there are very few where I would want to pay hundreds for each for a diamond pass. I think the passes ARE pretty good value on a literal level when you look at what they contain, but I do not want or need multiple autos, a photo and talks for every guest, and so it stops being good value, just additional expense you don't want to pay, even if you can.

I think Rutger is a truly great actor but I just wanted one £25 auto from him from Blade Runner. Didn't need a photoshoot, I'm not bothered about talks. It makes no sense for me to buy a Diamond Pass for almost every guest I could imagine(!). If more and more mid-range guests become Diamond guests, and these celebs are only getting through a couple hundred VT tickets a day, then I see meeting guests a far more frustrating endeavor later down the line. I'm sorry, but Rutger is NOT a queue up at 6am guest if you want a fair chance to see him with a VT.

I'd also say again Showmasters could do a better job at managing guests like Rutger by limiting the time they spend with each attendee so more fans get to see them. You can have a great meeting without it being overly long and doing so would increase the chances of non-Diamond pass holders seeing great guests like him.

Good post Dent_1.

I was one of the lucky ones as not only did I meet Rutger but got some great anecdotes as he signed my 3 items. He must have spent over 5-7 minutes chatting to me and it is one of my better guest experiences from an actor I admire greatly.

I did though shell out for a diamond pass. I wanted 3 items signed, a photo and to attend a talk so the diamond pass for me was worth it (paying a little more for the guarantee of meeting him plus £25 for my third item).

For me I don't look at the guest in terms of their A list status as justifying a diamond pass, it's just a question of whether a) I want the guarantee of meeting them and b)whether I think they will be busy and that a diamond pass is the easier means of getting to meet them.

I had no idea that Rutger would take as much time as he did at the signing table and I'm really thankful that I went diamond for him as he was a highlight of my attendance.

If you've followed my posts you'll know I missed out on Stan Lee a few years back, attending on Sunday, despite queuing from 5am and getting VQ # 68. It transpired that some despicable gold pass holders were going in to see him over and over again, taking in other peoples items no doubt for a small fee the upshot being the VQ's never went beyond #25 before Stan called it a day in the afternoon.

I swore never to go through that experience again and so if I want to meet a busy guest in future I will always go diamond.

Ps on a slightly superior note I can't tell you how good it felt to be fast track escorted past gold pass holders queuing for diamond guests at the signing tables and at photo shoots!

Edited by Diabolik

I met him on Sunday, arrived cca at 7:35 and went right for his VQ ticket after we'd been let in. Got a ticket number 96 and managed to get his autograph around 2:00 when he came back from a break. I was one of the people who were put in front by a crew member, she asked who had a VQ ticket lower than 100 and then send us there. I got a personalization and even though Mr. Hauer was very lovely and charismatic, he wasn't that chatty with me. Don't get me wrong, he said hi and answered my question and was just amazing anyway, but I didn't have that long chat with him as others. I think he might have been tired (he said to me that he was surprised how many people came to see him) and there was a pretty big line behind me...I'm just so happy that had a chance to meet him, being such a legend, wonderful actor and person as he is :smile: