Who is the most famous person you have met, and what were they like?

Chris.eason84

Harrison Ford. Was very friendly but quiet- he's not a very talkative person but who cares he's Harrison Ford he can be how the heck he wants to be :)

Mr. Spielberg. Awesomely cool. Very friendly, nice and chatty.

Kermit the Frog. He remembered me from when we'd met before. The most friendliest amphibian anyone would want to meet.

Meeting Kermit the Frog would be my dream come true. I'm very jealous sir, how did you meet him?

I'm jealous of you being held by Freddie Mercury :) Kermit? That would have been at the HMV "The Muppets" signing in 2012, there was a photographer that took pics of us all with Kermit and Pepe and afterwards you were given a hand written card signed by the great Amphibian himself.

I'd written something in regards to the late Jim Henson the night before and read it out to both Kermit and Pepe when I went up there- it just felt right to, the fact the whole setup was completely unscripted and that for an hour or so they both completely adlibbed was just incredible.

To many this probably would sound- strange, but to just go up to Kermit and him just, well being Kermit and looking at you and all? It sure beat meeting Harrison AND Mr. Spielberg (but then again I'm a huge Muppet- Fan)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5sHUy47g_8

I only heard about that signing after it happened. It was like missing my own wedding. Still not over it.

Think that was the case for a lot of people.

• Like 1

It's always hard to pick just one person, as I've met so many over a lot of years !

In terms of Hollywood , I guess it would be people like Sylvester Stallone, Dustin Hoffman, Tom Cruise, Russell Crowe, not many people who wouldn't have heard of them.

All were great, very friendly.

In terms of other famous people, Princess Diana, John Major, Buzz Aldrin, Geoff Hurst.

The same again, very nice to meet.

And of course as someone else said before, David Hasselhoff, who hasn't heard of the Hoff !

The Hoff was well "The Hoff" a lot of fun.

Edited by GoldenGreen

I have been thinking about what people consider to be MORE FAMOUS than others. It is an interesting concept.

Having worked in hotels for many years, usually in the night bar serving until the wee small hours, I have been fortunate enough to meet and chat with a wide range of Sports, TV, Film and Music industry people.

Sport - If we are talking household names I can list such great footballers past and present as Neil Ruddock, Kenny Dalglish, Ian Rush, Sammy Lee, David Seaman, Steven Gerrard, Pepe Reina, Daniel Sturridge, Sir Alex Ferguson (this one was hard as I am a die hard Liverpool fan) and Ian Wright. Other sports stars include Ronnie O'Sullivan, Bill Beaumont, Matt Dawson and many other old school English rugby players (I used to play so have been to a few dinners many years ago)

Music - this has been a great section for me as I met two music icons of mine in the form of Meat Loaf and the entire line up of Bon Jovi. Both were at a hotel I worked in and when they were told I was a long time fan of both (different times) I was fortunate enough to have a mini meet and greet so to speak. All great performers and wonderful human beings. Very fond of their fans.

TV - Putting aside who I have "met" at signing events, my prior employment in hotels has opened doors to meeting, chatting and getting autographs/memorabilia from some great people. Well before he became a world wide name in The Walking Dead, I was the regular Night Barman for the cast of British TV show Teachers who used the hotel I worked in as a base for the first two series. Andrew Lincoln was such a nice bloke and very humble (he also tipped well). It is quite funny to remember many post filming nights when he and the cast came into the small night bar in the hotel to wind down. Never treated me like an employee as they began to remember my name after the first few weeks of filming as I was always there.

Films - Now this is where some of my dream meetings have come true again whilst working in the hotel indudtry. Being a barman is a great way to chat to people without the having to go up to them as a fan. The normal thing of asking how filming was going etc is a great way to make them feel like humans rather than stars. Many years ago I was fortunate enough to spend two long evenings bar tending to the great Al Pacino whilst he wa isn the UK promoting his work. How I managed not to fan boy is amazing. Mr Pacino is a friendly guy if you speak to him as an every day person. I need to find the photo I had with him as it is one of my favourites. It only happened as he overheard a comment I made to a work colleague saying that I wish I wasn't so respecting of his private time as I so want a photo. He came up to the bar to get another drink, or so I thought, and asked me if I had a camera to take the photo I wanted. He had a huge smile on his face as I think he realised that I would be so happy getting one. And of course, time and experience taught me to have a camera with me at work (the amount of photos I missed out on is heart breaking), so I went and got it from the office.

One thing I have learned over the years is to treat these people, these icons, legends or what ever description you wish to use, as human beings. They are just doing a job, and most know they have some manic fans who adore their work and them. Oh, and the other thing is to use their real name rather than their character name. I literally BUMPED INTO Stefan Dennis when he was in Bristol many years back. As I turned to apologise I saw who I thought was Paul Robinson from Neighbours who then asked me for directions. After he thanked me for directions I asked him if he was Stefan Dennis and we then had a chat about his work and what he was doing in Bristol. When we went our seperate ways he actually thanked me for calling him his real name rather than Paul Robsinon. A truly great man. Very friendly.

I hope you all get to meet your favourites in great circumstances. It is a hige buzz.

• Like 1

This "Famous" element is indeed an interesting concept. I caught a bit of the James Corden programme with Gary Barlow the other day, and there's a good example of a guy who was pretty famous, then lost his fame and now is very famous. It its quite bizarre if you think about it.

Lots of contestants from reality shows have their five minutes of fame, but very rarely does this last much past the broadcast date of the show they were on, with the odd exception.

Fame definitely seems to fade in a lot of cases over time, so to maintain your fame you have to keep making good films, good tv shows, good records etc you need to keep in demand , but then this is really what I am going to call "celebrity fame".

I'd actually argue that there are many people that have achieved something pretty significant in terms of a scientific discovery for example, yet the majority of people wouldn't recognise their name, which shows what a high profile we give to celebrities in our culture.

• Like 2

This "Famous" element is indeed an interesting concept. I caught a bit of the James Corden programme with Gary Barlow the other day, and there's a good example of a guy who was pretty famous, then lost his fame and now is very famous. It its quite bizarre if you think about it.

Lots of contestants from reality shows have their five minutes of fame, but very rarely does this last much past the broadcast date of the show they were on, with the odd exception.

Fame definitely seems to fade in a lot of cases over time, so to maintain your fame you have to keep making good films, good tv shows, good records etc you need to keep in demand , but then this is really what I am going to call "celebrity fame".

I'd actually argue that there are many people that have achieved something pretty significant in terms of a scientific discovery for example, yet the majority of people wouldn't recognise their name, which shows what a high profile we give to celebrities in our culture.

I was going to say its hard to judge how 'famous' someone is because you can judge fame by different values. I'm met lots of people 'famous' on the folk music world but general person on the street probably wouldn't have heard of them.

People can be famous in their own genre or neighbourhood etc.

I would say that Fame can often be relative- ok here goes, there's someone I know who's status FAR outweighs ANY kind of Fame, he hasn't been in the lastest cult tv show, nor is a famous Film director, I would say the most amazing person that is worthy of quite possibly outranking EVERY single Famous name ever uttered on this forum would be a lovely chap I know called Leslie Kleinman.

He is a member of my Synagogue and every time I shake his hand it is AN ABSOLUTE HONOUR AND PRIVILEGE! Last year this wonderful man invited me around to his home for coffee and a really nice chat, he was so hospitable and welcoming, to have asked for his Autograph would have felt cheap to have gotten a Selfie with him is something I will always treasure, to see the tatoo (and normally I'm not a fan of tatoos) on his arm was a stark reminder of that which once was,

LeslieKleinmanandIIMG_5467_zps3eb143a0.j

This Ladies and Gentleman is Holocaust Survivor Leslie Kleinman he survived Auschwitz.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Leslie+Kleinman

• Like 2

I went to a party once in LA and met Seth Macfarlane .. that was pretty cool, he was so laid back and such a cool guy ...

Robert Downey JR I met once and has been my idol for a long time... another cool guy was happy to sign pretty much anything

• Like 2

I usually get told off for name dropping so it's nice to get it all out in the open here. I once played Baseball with Jonhny Depp at Pinewood Studios and I once gave Prince Charles a guided tour of a place I used to work. I also danced with Patsy Kensit when I was 7 years old (she was in her late teens) and she told my father I was a 'Right little raver'. I also used to get on the same train as Peter Capaldi every morning to work. I even spoke to him a couple of times. Would be a bit odd getting an autograph/having a photo taken with him at a con now.

I also stood next to Nick Cave at a urinal but I'm not going to get into that one. A friend of mine stood next to Slash from Guns n Roses at a urinal back stage at a festival. He actually said to him "Ha, I came in here for a Slash!" although I'm not sure he understood the joke.

• Like 1

I've always been a huge fan of movies or tv-series. I've not had a happy life (sadly) so to watch a movie or a tv-serie with an actor who was able to give me emotions, has been my way to escape from the real life.

My interest toward an actor is related to his way to give me emotions, watching him play in a role.

Scott Bakula was one of those actors who gave me BIG emotions ( especially in Quantum Leap), so, when I met him for the first time , it was a SO deep joy, for me , that words aren't able to describe the strange sensation I felt having him really there, in front of me, shaking my hand and smiling to me ...... Scott was so sweet and polite, he gave me a big hug and that moment will remain forever in my heart. :wub:

Another actor I met was Kevin Sorbo ( Hercules ) and I had the pleasure to meet also Matthew Lewis ( Neville Longbottom/ Harry Potter movies ) who was very nice and sweet.

• Like 1

I had to spend a lot of time with Dominic West (The Wire) sorting out a query he had with our shop when he was in a local play not massively famous I guess but I've been a massive fan for years he was lovely but I was too chicken to ask for a photo ha ha

Benedict Cumberbatch was an absolute sweetheart, funny, down to earth and utterly utterly beautiful (those eyes)

I've also just recently met Steve Backshall from Deadly 60, pole to pole, lost land series' etc again not famous to everyone but as someone who is interested in wildlife and conservation etc etc he is an absolute inspiration to me and everyone, kids, us oldies and the like, so down to earth and to see him interact with kids, teenagers and even old folk like me was just wonderful he never rushed anyone and spent a lot of time with the shy kids he is truly an amazing human being and again very very easy on the eyes (there's a pattern forming I think ha ha)

I guess famous means different things to different people, every single person I've met is famous to me in some shape or form (obviously) but I have friends who do not understand why I do what I do and have no clue as to who half the people are, but I have seen these same people go absolutely bonkers when an old aging washed up sports player came into our place of work yet they don't seem to think their reaction to this is the same as mine to people I watch on the TV and in films crazy, but hey I suppose that's life!!!!

I haven't really met any well known people, but I have met a few voice actors - Yuri Lowenthal, Tara Platt, Vic Mignogna, Liam O'Brien, Troy Baker, Roger Craig Smith, Richard Epcar and Ellyn Stern. Everybody barring Vic were lovely people, he just seemed a bit arrogant.

Most famous non voice actor is Mark Owen. He's absolutely tiny!

It's funny, reflected on having said this the other day, the next thing I hear is Gary is in the news for not paying his taxes ! Perhaps that fame is about to drift away from him once again. Talk about a rollercoaster.

I'd say Colin Edwards (2 times World Superbike Champion). I met him at the motorcycle show at the NEC and had a chat with him about racing. He was so laid back and friendly. After our chat Colin wandered off to have a look around. No minders/people, just by himself. Nearly all the bike racers I've met have been brand new and I see Stuart Easton in passing now and then too. Oh and Charly Boorman is awesome too :)

I've met quite a few now thanks to Showmasters and a few others.

Patrick Stewart

William Shatner

Mark Hamill

Carrie Fisher

They were all awesome... Mark was the best small talker and Carrie was super-friendly.

• 2 weeks later...

Erm. I'm not really sure who would be classed as most famous out of Ronnie O'Sullivan, Stephen Hendry or Matt Dave Lewis (Neville Longbottom).

Ronnie i've met a couple of time as i have to admit was disappointed in his attitude both times - especially considering one was the kind of event which involved meeting fans for photos and autographs. Hendry I was far too starstruck to say anything beside 'could i have a photo and your autograph' so i can't really comment on. MDL was absolutely lovely though! His mum introduced me to him as she recognised me from twitter (i'm not a crazy tweeting loony, i'm still baffled as to how she knew unless she was looking into who was going to the play he was in) and he stopped for a quick chat and a photo. I will openly admit i cried afterwards because he was so lovely.

I'm normally the sort of person who enjoys meeting people who have worked or done something related to video games (I'm a huge gamer prefer that to anything else I see on tv or whatever lol) and one of my favourite game series has to be Final Fantasy so meeting Hironobu Sakaguchi (creator of Final Fantasy series) was probably one of the best days of my life along with meeting the Final Fantasy music composer and my idol from childhood Nobuo Uematsu, nothing can beat meeting those 2 :dance:

Both where really awesome to meet and I was really nervous. I didn't really speak to them though as I was unsure if either spoke much English lol and both are really popular amongst those that enjoy da video gaming :coolthumb:

Outside of gaming and a memory I shall probably cherish for a long time is when I mustered up the confidence to ask one of my favourite Walking Dead actors (Norman Reedus) for a hug (which is something I don't usually do or think of I probably wouldn't of bothered if I didn't see others doing so lol)

This is difficult, what I class as famous/a megastar is probably not even a household name for most. (I would assume).

For me though, the most famous and awesome and all round GAH person I've met? Murray Walker (Former Formula One commentator, among other things). Even him just looking up and saying hello to me made my LIFE, to have that voice speak to you? wow. In the same genre have also met John Surtees (world champion in bike racing and formula one) and Sir Jackie Stewart (Former F1 world champion). Again both complete legends in my book.

These are amazing stories!!

I guess mine would have to be Joss Stone. I've met her several times now after gigs. She always stops for photos and says hello to fans. She's such a sweetheart and it's frustrating she has such bad rep in the UK.

That's it really. I'd love to meet Beyoncé (not gonna happen) as her and Joss are my favourite music idols. And I really want to meet David Tennant again. I met him and Catherine Tate after Much Ado About Nothing one night in London. It was awesome. I told him he was my favourite actor and when he said 'Aw thanks' in his Scottish accent the fangirl in me's legs went wobbly. I wish I had thad the courage to ask for a photo!!

I'm hoping Showmasters will help me meet some more people though!! ^_^

I've been fortunate to meet a lot of my sporting legends recently since I last posted.

Having a photo with Bruno and Bugner at C21 was fantastic and always wanted to meet Stuart Pearce ever since he sunk that penalty for England !

Also been fortunate to meet Brian Lara, Tim Henman and a load of others recently, not forgetting also meeting the legendary Bruce Forsyth, there can't be many people in this country at least who wouldn't know who Bruce Forsyth was.