Photo Background

It might just be me (and prob is) but I really dislike the 90s school photo style background that's used for the photos. I have been to a few of these events now and personally wish that they would just use a plain white background rather than the cheesy cloud style.

I'm not wanting to upset anyone, the photo quality is awesome and the events are still fantastic, was just curious if anyone else feels the same?

Edited by gazombie24
  • Like 3

• Moderators

I've had photos taken against a plain white background before (not at SM events) and to me they just look really stark and cold. I'm not saying the cloudy blue backdrop is the 'best thing ever!' but I much prefer it to many of the other options.

• Like 3

I've had photos taken against a plain white background before (not at SM events) and to me they just look really stark and cold. I'm not saying the cloudy blue backdrop is the 'best thing ever!' but I much prefer it to many of the other options.

Yep.. this is a better way to put it :smile:

Over the years I've had photoshoots with a purple, red & blue background in addition to the SM cloud background. I must say I have no preference but it's nice to mix it up now and again. :smile:

• Like 1

I seem to recall that the astronaut photoshoot at Birmingham 2012 was to have a "moon or space" themed background but it was the usual blue cloud thingy.

Didn't put me off getting my photo though :-D

Interesting, Id much rather have a plain background. White, blue what ever...

The photo is meant to come across natural and personal. The blue cloudy background just looks like you have spent 30 seconds with them in a big queue like the school days. I know that's exactly what happens lol, but the photo should not reflect that, to me the background does.

• Like 2

I seem to recall that the astronaut photoshoot at Birmingham 2012 was to have a "moon or space" themed background but it was the usual blue cloud thingy.

Didn't put me off getting my photo though :-D

The moon background was dropped because it was affecting the images on the photos, think it was to do with reflection. That background was used as a backdrop to the astronaut talks instead.

• Moderators

Have to agree with this, plus the quality/shadow seems to crop up a fair bit when on white.

i'll just jump in here from a photographers perspective...

the problem with setting up backgrounds is that no solid colour is going to work for everyone, especially with costumes and wigs. White backgrounds (my personal preferance to use) are clean and crisp, but if the cosplayer has white hair, costume, or lots of highlights on the costume, then it's utterly useless.

The same can be said for black, put a dark costume or someone with raven hair against a black background, and you loose all definition entirely.

The neon green backgroups are what is known as chromakey backdrops, ideally used for video composites to remove the green for filming and replace it entirely, not the best solution for photography, but i've seen some people use it with mixed results.

generally the problem is that one backdrop isn't going to satisfy every need at a convention, especially a single colour one... the neutral 'tie dye' style backdrops that a lot of places use are the best bet for covering a mixture of styles, but even then they can lead to an 80's style / feel to the photo sadly.

A few tourist places I have been to in the last year were using green screen backdrops to superimpose you on a picture background, fine, unless of course one of you is wearing green clothing, then you are instead audtioning for the role of an invisible man or woman !

I've never liked the blue backgrounds, as others said you have that whole "school" feeling to it, and the best showmasters pics I ever had were against the backdrops at the Twilight Convention (white with silver writing on) but like others have said what's the solution? Maybe a cream backdrop?

On balance prefer the blue background to a white one.

Although to be honest not overly bothered about the background.

I did like the background for the Sam Jones Flash Gordon shoot though last year, that was fun and good to have props / backdrop as relevant in the past, e.g. Tardis , cars etc

• 1 month later...

As a very dark brunette I've had my photo taken against the blue back drop, dark red as well as white and can honestly say for me the blue is the best. My white photos are all a bit shadowy and bland and look awful and while the red was my favourite it's just too dark to work well. The light blue gives the best outcome personally.

I love the blue, it's certainly better then some shoots I've had in front of a red background.

It doesn't remind me of school either, as we had a picture of an old fashioned bookcase for our school photos.