List NEW idea's that could improve the show.

This may be too expensive to set up but how about an app or mobile site with things like - map of venue, ability to buy photo ops using your phone, info on which auto numbers and photo ops have been called and info on changes to schedule etc.

Might be a quick way to keep everything centralised and easily accessible to take some stress off the crew :D

An app would be a handy thing however you would a decent team of mobile app designers and programmers not to mention infrastructure to run it. Then you've got to get it running on all three platforms for maximum effect.

A website with mobile capabilities would probably be better as you could host it at minimal cost and update using only a laptop and some sort of management interface. In fact I bet there's enough skill and knowledge on this forum to mock up a system like that no ?

This may be too expensive to set up but how about an app or mobile site with things like - map of venue, ability to buy photo ops using your phone, info on which auto numbers and photo ops have been called and info on changes to schedule etc.

An app would be a handy thing however you would a decent team of mobile app designers and programmers not to mention infrastructure to run it. Then you've got to get it running on all three platforms for maximum effect.

A website with mobile capabilities would probably be better as you could host it at minimal cost and update using only a laptop and some sort of management interface. In fact I bet there's enough skill and knowledge on this forum to mock up a system like that no ?

And then everyone can wander round the venue staring at small screens not looking where they're going, bumping into people, instead of just a few. :rolleyes:

For me it would be to make sure loud and confident staff are in charge of photo shoot queues as whoever was looking after the Adam Baldwin one on Saturday was terrible and uninformative of why there was such a big delay.

The ability to download a digital copy of photo's from the photo shoots should also be introduced.

A couple of drinks machines with reasonably priced drinks would be much appreciated.

THIS... SO MUCH

The food and drink (more than £4.25 for a hotdog?) aren't provided through Showmasters, but by the venue. The S********ys down the road sells drinks too. I popped out to the bank machine there, and got myself a meal deal for £2.50.

Might be a quick way to keep everything centralised and easily accessible to take some stress off the crew :D

I was about to suggest this! An app was introduced another event I went to a couple of weeks back. It was actually really helpful having it all there instead of having to refer to the book!

Making photo orders after the schedule is known would help people plan better, also there's usually a few last minute guests who have shoots added to the schedule but the shop is shut to buy them. The time taken to queue/buy is very long on friday night/saturday morning.

Why not invest in a solution which enables a few portable ticket machines. Folk could still make shoot orders up to say 3 days before the show and take their booking barcode (or ref number) and simply enter that or scan the barcode and the machine does all the work and prints your tickets...sure the outlay is costly, but in the long run, the time that people 'waste' standing in queues would be made up by their time being free to browse/buy from stalls or get an extra couple of autographs ;)

Why not invest in a system where the photographs can be printed seconds after they have been taken.

This would allow people to have their photo immediately and get them signed if they want to straight away.

I have missed some people as the photo has come back to late.

Photos also need to be as the person states they want it, some are better in portrait and not in landscape.

Just had a think and here are a few ideas that I think would be cool:

• In terms of the gaming area, what about adding things like board games; companies like Fantasty Flight Games, Hasbro etc. could be invited along to showcase and it would generally give people more things to do. A lot of their games are based on TV or Movie, for example FFG do both Game of Thrones and Battlestar Galactica board games. At an extreme you could even invite wargamers along, there are plenty of sci-fi based games, even Star Wars tabletop games etc.
  • Another thing that I personally would find interesting, would be to add to the comic section with authors. You could have authors that are responsible for writing film and tv novelisations, so that it tied in to the theme of the con. People like Alan Dean Foster & James Swallow. You could then also have major authors that write licensed fiction the Star Wars and Star Trek universes for example. So they could provide signings, book sales and even talks I would think.

Edited by Malius

More announcements, a loud speaker system for example.. Some photoshoots were redone but people only knew about this if the my we're walking past at the time, same for photo session time changes, things were brought forward but unless u stand at photo shoot areas all day you were not made aware of them.

Virtual tickets. handing out one VT per person isn't good enough, when most people go in they all have tasks to do eg 1 person gets the photo shoot tickets, one takes bags to the cloak room while the other gets VTs. U can still only get 5 autos per person so why can u only have one VT per person.

Photo collection, each guests photos should have their own table, it takes so long to get to the front of the table and to get there and then realise its not even the right persons pics you're in front of is a pest.

Crew should have a bit more knowledge about what else is around not just their job, or at least be able to point u in the direction of some one who can help.

Just had a think and here are a few ideas that I think would be cool:

• In terms of the gaming area, what about adding things like board games; companies like Fantasty Flight Games, Hasbro etc. could be invited along to showcase and it would generally give people more things to do. A lot of their games are based on TV or Movie, for example FFG do both Game of Thrones and Battlestar Galactica board games. At an extreme you could even invite wargamers along, there are plenty of sci-fi based games, even Star Wars tabletop games etc.
  • Another thing that I personally would find interesting, would be to add to the comic section with authors. You could have authors that are responsible for writing film and tv novelisations, so that it tied in to the theme of the con. People like Alan Dean Foster & James Swallow. You could then also have major authors that write licensed fiction the Star Wars and Star Trek universes for example. So they could provide signings, book sales and even talks I would think.

Love both of those ideas. My sons were hogging the game consoles and I felt bad about it! May need to expand that area as it seemed very popular!

I think selling a fair percentage of the autographs in advance would solve a lot of the madness with a percentage available on the day.

A seating area.

Confident crew members visible in every key area. Quite a few times I would ask someone in one area a question about that talk etc and be told "I don't know I'm not working this bit" So why are you standing there then?

If all the talks are going to be paid you need a dedicated compere for the day who introduces the guests interviews them for half the talk & then opens it up to questions at the end. If you want to emulate a certain massive multi media show in the US then emulate them! That's precisely what they do with each talk.

I'd love to see some fantasy authors, or maybe a collection of them giving a panel about the technical aspect of writing as I know so many in our community are so creative.

Perhaps some art competitions, speed drawing or pictionary in the artist's alley? I may have missed it but was there some tables with pen and paper for budding artists to try their hand at the event?

Also I've seen at a few events now a cosplay event where you get scraps of fabric and tape and such and have to make a cosplay based on referances or themes in an alotted time period?

This was my first LFCC, I went with a friend, and since I wasn't there for guests or merchandise I was a little lost with what to do with myself. So if you can do events/games that involve participation from attendies that's possibly a little less formal than the masquerade I think that would go down well.

Perhaps event some photoshoot backdrops if such a thing is possible?

Definitely adequate seating in the Gold Pass Chill Out Area.....if you're going to pay extra for extra facilities, a comfortable place to sit and gather your thoughts is absolutely essential...

Edited by discodiva

Virtual tickets. handing out one VT per person isn't good enough, when most people go in they all have tasks to do eg 1 person gets the photo shoot tickets, one takes bags to the cloak room while the other gets VTs. U can still only get 5 autos per person so why can u only have one VT per person.
Because otherwise some enterprising folk will get in early, get 5 VTs for each of the big guests, then flog them off for a quid or two (or even more) to all the late arrivals. Or one person goes in early and gets low number VTs for all his mates, while they all have a lie-in, wander up at 11 and get cheap entry and still get to go in straight away to the big guest queus. Not only does it deprive the show of money, it also distorts the calling of VT tickets, if say half of the first 100 aren't going to get used before 11am.
  • Like 1