Handing out photos after photoshoots

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Showmasters Admin

As has already been said, selling digital copies has been suggested for years and is something SM are looking into.

There are a number of both legal and logistical issue that don't make it simple, but we are looking at it.

As has already been said, selling digital copies has been suggested for years and is something SM are looking into.

There are a number of both legal and logistical issue that don't make it simple, but we are looking at it.

Thats good :)

Well I dont have any suggestions or ideas atm how digital distribution could be done easy and cheap. But if I come up with something I will surely write it down, I hope you guys/girls dont mind people coming up with ideas on how this can be done? I dont mean to cause any trouble :)

• Showmasters Admin

Thats good :)

Well I dont have any suggestions or ideas atm how digital distribution could be done easy and cheap. But if I come up with something I will surely write it down, I hope you guys/girls dont mind people coming up with ideas on how this can be done? I dont mean to cause any trouble :)

If someone has a legitimate idea on how to improve the events, we're always happy to listen to them.

You'd only need tiny thumbnails online with a reference number just so people would know what photo to order. Buy the digital photo (or for that matter a duplicate print), have it emailed (or posted)

Once the admin's been paid for you'd be in to profit.

No. You will still need to pay someone to actually mail the photos and deal with queries. Just look at the amount of questions posted after each show now aksing when not picked up photos will be mailed etc.

Funny enough its exactly because all those questions are asked and dealt with now, that suggests the basic system exists and could be expanding on. Who's paying for those queeries now?

As I said the admin involved should be paid for. If charging £5 to send one email, its not an time consuming way to make money. For next to nothing.

I dont really care as long as distribution is handled better than previous years maybe put the photos in clear plastic wallets that would stop the finger print problem at very little expense considering what most people pay out for photoshoots each event

As I mentioned earlier
At EMS, after LFCC, the crew in the photo distribution area were wearing gloves and there were signs requesting that people do not handle the photos but wait until they were handed them by the crew.

So as long as attendees obey the instructions it shouldn't be an issue anymore.

at last years event there were too many photos for the tables and were overlapping each other so it was Inevitable that people were going to touch them ive been to many other events around the county and they put the photos in a wallet I cant see what the big problem is people are giving you good ideas at least consider them.

• Moderators

Putting every photo into an individual wallet is going to take a fair bit of extra time, considering the 1000s of photoshoots done daily at the big events. People already whine at the time it takes to get the photoshoots back and ready for collection.

And it's not 'inevitable' that people will touch them - even if they're overlapping people can still just ask the gloved crew to move a photo if the one beneath is obscured. People touch the photos when they're not supposed to because they're too impatient to follow the rules set out.

Funny enough its exactly because all those questions are asked and dealt with now, that suggests the basic system exists and could be expanding on. Who's paying for those queeries now?

As I said the admin involved should be paid for. If charging £5 to send one email, its not an time consuming way to make money. For next to nothing.

Nobody is paying right now because it's handled by the same volunteer who sends out the photos. I thought we had enough "When will I get my photo?" topics so this is common knowledge meanwhile. :D

The volunteer who does it had to get help to even get the pictures that were not picked up after the last shows. Eventually it will get too much for volunteer work, I have seen that happen elsewhere.

Then the question is still how many people would pay the amount of money requested. It would be nice if office workers could be paid by e-mail, but usually it's at least by the hour if not per month.

I have said it above, for everyone that says "I'll pay" there's someone else who won't. You seem to be very willing to pay and yeah, I would be willing too. But there's others who don't want to or simply can't. You've posted in some of the older threads regarding this too and you may remember some posts saying "yeah, I'd be willing to pay one or two quid."

Finding the balance how the system can be expanded at keeping the costs minimal while the charge for the photo is also covering the costs that SM occur is unfortunately one of the things that are being looked at.

Hello

I made a number of suggestions after LFACC last year regarding photoshoot returns and from what I've read at subsequent events things are better with the returns (gloves, clearer pickup points, etc).

We like having the physical photo but a digital copy would be welcome however I think it would be difficult to introduce.

From the comments above, people are referring to USB sticks to get the photos but I think it would make more sense to have them e-mailed. Obviously this creates it's own problems in trying to link up the photoshoots with the e-mail addresses but maybe if when people go up to get their photo taken, everyone hands over a slip with a pre-printed e-mail address or a note saying "blank" then the order of the shots would match the order of the e-mail slips or something like that.

I still think it would be very hard to introduce but from our own experiences things are better than they were. Personally I don't think it's a service that could be offered free of charge as it would incur costs for SM.

Has anyone else got thoughts about e-mail distribution rather than USB?

Steve

at last years event there were too many photos for the tables and were overlapping each other so it was Inevitable that people were going to touch them ive been to many other events around the county and they put the photos in a wallet I cant see what the big problem is people are giving you good ideas at least consider them.

1of2 hasn't said that that idea isn't being considered, nor has anyone else said something to this extend. Sorry if you got that impression.

His reply was merely meant as a comment to your concern "as long as the distribution is handled better than last year." Things have already changed from LFACC to EMS.

I do agree with etmuse's post though. Putting all those photos into wallets will take a lot of extra time, and as you have noticed at previous shows attendees are already anxious now to get their photos back because some seem to have the feeling it's taking too long.

From the comments above, people are referring to USB sticks to get the photos but I think it would make more sense to have them e-mailed. Obviously this creates it's own problems in trying to link up the photoshoots with the e-mail addresses but maybe if when people go up to get their photo taken, everyone hands over a slip with a pre-printed e-mail address or a note saying "blank" then the order of the shots would match the order of the e-mail slips or something like that.

USB sticks respectively CD burning are the method of choice for "on the day pick up" that I personally experienced, that's why I'm bringing them up. :D

Collecting the e-mail addresses at the photo session directly is an idea that I think could work. It might work better with an e-mail field on the actual photosession ticket though... otherwise with two stacks of paper and possibly fairly large ones there's a more or less big risk of mix ups.

Just to make sure I am understanding you right... the way you are describing it you'd e-mail and order "I'd like the Patrick Stewart photo associated to picardrules@enterprise.com please?" Or were you thinking the photos are automatically sent to the e-mails and the price worked in in the photoshoot price in general?

The first idea would only require you to have a somewhat non-public e-mail address, otherwise we're facing a possible security aspect again.

• Moderators

Collecting the e-mail addresses at the photo session directly is an idea that I think could work. It might work better with an e-mail field on the actual photosession ticket though... otherwise with two stacks of paper and possibly fairly large ones there's a more or less big risk of mix ups.

Just to make sure I am understanding you right... the way you are describing it you'd e-mail and order "I'd like the Patrick Stewart photo associated to picardrules@enterprise.com please?" Or were you thinking the photos are automatically sent to the e-mails and the price worked in in the photoshoot price in general?

The first idea would only require you to have a somewhat non-public e-mail address, otherwise we're facing a possible security aspect again.

A similar-ish idea could be to have a table near the photo pickup area where someone could go with their physical photo once it had been picked up, and a crew member would be able to take an email address (and any payment) for a digital copy of that photo (using the info on the back of the pic). The crew member doing it would then be able to ascertain that the person ordering the photo and the person IN the photo were the same.

This would, of course, require at least one additional crew person on the day, and all the extra man-time needed to go through the list and email all the photos...

I can't think of any completely 'secure' way of allowing people to order via email/website, tbh. Without being able to see the other end of the order, there's always going to be the chance of either accidentally sending the wrong photo or someone managing to deliberately order the wrong one.

Edited by etmuse

I think someone commented on about overlapping of photos being a problem. I went to LFCC last year for the first time and we had to wait a little longer for the Brent Spiner photos which I think where the last ones to come out so yeah lots of people where waiting. For me it was not a problem. When they came out the staff did overlapp the photos but they only overlapped on Brent Spiner so it was easy for everyone to see themselves. There wasn't loads of people going crazy. Me and my sister stood back so everyone could get theirs first but when it was our turn and we got our two photos they where in perfect condition and they where not both together. I don't know if we where just lucky or what but the system seemed fine to me.

Also with real photos you get them on the day (I don't know if that always happens as that was my first) and you can frame them and stuff. I don't have a scanner so I just took a picture of it but I love my photos so much and they are shiny :D

I also know that sometimes people can take photos that are not theirs but even if SM did do it digitaly there could also be a chance of mixup. I also wouldn't want my photo being uploaded for me to collect unless if it was in a safe place as I wouldn't want others using it. I don't think I would like giving my email out unless if it was just the SM crew that sees it. I hope that's not me just being akward.

when the crew are putting photos out, they are normally over lapped over the guest because there would not be enough space on the tables otherwise! sometimes, when there aren't that many photos left to be collected, we can put the photos out without over lapping :wub:

I've been to some of the big US cons and the option of the digital copy has been available but for some where between $10-$15 (£7-10) and, having paid the astronomical amount of money for the photo in the 1st place (at a con this summer, the cheapest photos for guests were $40-over £25 for guests that had been to SM events for £15-but some photoshoots are as much as $70-90 or more!!) I just didn't want to pay another $10-15 on top. that and these photo shoots tend to be ALOT smaller, think the most was at most 100 sales for a shoot? of course at SM shows, some guests will sell 400 on 2 days!

I don't often put photo shoot photos on my FB / online unless it's a fave pic in which case I just take a photo of it :D too may issues with people "stealing" / "copying" / "saving" images from google/FB tbh! :lol: espesh now FB has that stuuuupid thing where friends of friends of friends can see your entire FB album if you tag 1 of their friends in only 1 picture - WTF! :wub:

surfy sah xx

QS is correct, I was merely mentioning that the photo distribution procedure has been tweaked since you last experienced it. I wasn't referring to your suggestion. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

I think having the digital option as an additional service would be awesome. I never managed to get hold of anyone to sort out my missing photo from HW3, so having the photo online, even as a thumbprint, would have made it a lot easier to sort out, and given me the option to get more copies too (family like them).

I guess you could offer digital copies post-show to see if there was a demand and if it was worth the time/effort.

I don't think the thumbnail idea is easier for SM - I'd just have a form with your details, the show/guest/day and ability to attach/upload a photo of yourself. I guess you would need somebody who is good at skimming through hundreds of thumbnails to find them.

Once found send a payment link and on receipt email the photos. It might be viable at £3-4 per digital copy.

I'm too sick to read through everything right now, so I apologise if some of this has already been said, but thought I'd put my two pence into the discussion.

1) In the past, one of my friends wasn't happy with one of her shots, because her eyes were shut in it (I can't remember who it was with). Had the guest been less busy, she was told they may have been able to call them back to the photoshoot area, and retake it. However, as they were too busy, someone was able to take a different photo she had with another guest, and do a brilliant Photoshop edit. If pictures weren't handed out on the day, she wouldn't have been aware of the issue until it was too late.

2) I'm one of these that like having the physical photo. I like the thrill of waiting around for the photo (but I think I'm alone in this respect!) Last time it was me at one table, a friend at another, and her calling me when she saw it. We have a whole operation made out of it, and it was fun! But that aside, I went for a photo op with another company once, and the only distribution for the photo was online. I still to this day don't have a hard copy of the photo. In fact, I think the photo is only on my Facebook, a low res copy that was offered to me, and it certainly wouldn't be a good size to print out. I'd always choose getting it on the day, rather than having to print it offline. And the one time I remember having to get pictures online (Hayden, Milo and Adrien several years ago), I was worried for the longest time both about my photo being online along with everyone else's, and about how long it would take to get it back.

In short; I like what we have, and it worked really well at EMS. If it ain't broke, don't fix it :D

I'm too sick to read through everything right now, so I apologise if some of this has already been said, but thought I'd put my two pence into the discussion.

1) In the past, one of my friends wasn't happy with one of her shots, because her eyes were shut in it (I can't remember who it was with). Had the guest been less busy, she was told they may have been able to call them back to the photoshoot area, and retake it. However, as they were too busy, someone was able to take a different photo she had with another guest, and do a brilliant Photoshop edit. If pictures weren't handed out on the day, she wouldn't have been aware of the issue until it was too late.

2) I'm one of these that like having the physical photo. I like the thrill of waiting around for the photo (but I think I'm alone in this respect!) Last time it was me at one table, a friend at another, and her calling me when she saw it. We have a whole operation made out of it, and it was fun! But that aside, I went for a photo op with another company once, and the only distribution for the photo was online. I still to this day don't have a hard copy of the photo. In fact, I think the photo is only on my Facebook, a low res copy that was offered to me, and it certainly wouldn't be a good size to print out. I'd always choose getting it on the day, rather than having to print it offline. And the one time I remember having to get pictures online (Hayden, Milo and Adrien several years ago), I was worried for the longest time both about my photo being online along with everyone else's, and about how long it would take to get it back.

In short; I like what we have, and it worked really well at EMS. If it ain't broke, don't fix it :P

Well the thing with fingerprints on the photos was my first question really. And that have been sorted on EMS as SM said. That was the biggest problem from my point of view.

Then the deal with digital photos, its a wish, not a request :D

What we have been talking about is how this could be done, thats all. :D

So in my opinion we are talking about if its posible to enhance something good, not trying to fix something that is broken. :D

Edited by Wondermoose

I found the idea of having all the photos (even as miniature format) non acceptable.

Some people are weird and could buy/copy your personal photo with a guest, just because a guest made "a funny face" or something.

Also there are people who do photo collages of let's say famous person and a buyer. For them proxy photos of stars with various people would be a very interesting material to obtain.

Also I think if online posting of the photos idea is considered to be greenlighted EVERYONE who bought a photo op should be aask if they agree (to post their photo even as a miniature) or not.

I for one prefer to have a physical photo not a digital copy.

With a digital copy, you can have BOTH .... and as many physical copies as you like.:headscratch:

You can with physical too. I know people have made copies at places like boots to give to relatives or whatever.

And I know most people scan theirs in too to show others. THAT digital copy is free rather than paying extra for it.

I for one am happy with the system as it is. I've never had a big issue and only ever had a shoot come back too late to collect once in the years I've been going to these events. They added the gloves for the crew at EMS and it worked great.

Edited by BeatrixKiddo88