showmasters I Love you!

alisonloub

I was at that show in Manchester this summer too. It was absolutely packed, and a 90 minute queue to get in.

And all with a line up that many on here would have complained about if it was a SM show.

I spoke to one of the organisers and they were extremely pleased with it.

While I prefer SM shows that I've been going to over the last 8 years, they certainly must have been doing something right at that Manchester show in terms of getting the word out about it, to generate such huge crowds.

Jason has said "We will be looking to expand where we run events in 2012 and onwards, so hang in there! We know you all want these events near where you live",

so while I'll be at any events where there are guests I want to meet - and I'm sure they'll be lots at Bluewater so I'll be there - I look forward to having some more shows elsewhere in the UK too.

Showmasters have run events in Manchester. They ran events with GREAT guests in Manchester (I remember getting autos from Nick Frost and Simon Pegg there) and yet the attendance was abysmmal. I ran a stall at one of the events and we made a big loss. The next Manc event, I went as an attendee. We turned up 20 minutes before it opened and were amongst the first 50 people into the hall.

This other event may have had a 90 minute queue, but I know some events (mentioning no names or locations) where that could mean only 100 people were trying to get in and it says more for the organisation being rubbish, than the event being popular.

Likewise, they ran an event Coventry. Bruce Campbell was amongst the guests and yet turnout was very poor (the stall lost money at that event too).

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at that show in Manchester this summer too. It was absolutely packed, and a 90 minute queue to get in.

And all with a line up that many on here would have complained about if it was a SM show.

I spoke to one of the organisers and they were extremely pleased with it.

While I prefer SM shows that I've been going to over the last 8 years, they certainly must have been doing something right at that Manchester show in terms of getting the word out about it, to generate such huge crowds.

Jason has said "We will be looking to expand where we run events in 2012 and onwards, so hang in there! We know you all want these events near where you live",

so while I'll be at any events where there are guests I want to meet - and I'm sure they'll be lots at Bluewater so I'll be there - I look forward to having some more shows elsewhere in the UK too.

Showmasters have run events in Manchester. They ran events with GREAT guests in Manchester (I remember getting autos from Nick Frost and Simon Pegg there) and yet the attendance was abysmmal. I ran a stall at one of the events and we made a big loss. The next Manc event, I went as an attendee. We turned up 20 minutes before it opened and were amongst the first 50 people into the hall.

This other event may have had a 90 minute queue, but I know some events (mentioning no names or locations) where that could mean only 100 people were trying to get in and it says more for the organisation being rubbish, than the event being popular.

Likewise, they ran an event Coventry. Bruce Campbell was amongst the guests and yet turnout was very poor (the stall lost money at that event too).

I attended all of the SM events in Manchester, my favourite guest being Malcolm McDowell, and both events in Coventry where I met Bruce Campbell and many others, plus the Collectormania Midlands that ran alongside Autographica, so I know that the turnout wasn't so great for some of those.

And you're right, the guest line up at the SM shows was far better in my opinion too.

But the one in Manchester this summer was extremely popular, as anyone who was actually there will know.

So as I said that show must have being doing something very right in advertising to get such high numbers.

I've got some friends who live in Coventry and they didn't know about the 2 shows we had there until I told them about it.

The fact that Jason is going to do shows elsewhere in the UK again must mean that he thinks they will succeed, and hopefully through many of us on here spreading the word they will do.

And you're right, the guest line up at the SM shows was far better in my opinion too.

But the one in Manchester this summer was extremely popular, as anyone who was actually there will know.

So as I said that show must have being doing something very right in advertising to get such high numbers.

For one very big reason..the non sci-fi stuff!!!

It drew in the same crowd as they usually have because as far as they were concerned, it was another anime convention (and yes, I saw people on facebook calling it that), and they go almost anywhere like a pack of rabid dogs!

The Gmex's didnt pull in as many, as they were relying on people coming for the guests and those who will only come to an event if its worthwhile for them. The other event relies upon those who will just show up anyway simply to hang out with their friends and not worry what guest is there, nor do most of them go to/spend as much at events as the signing fans do. Thats the only reason that one was a success.

For one very big reason..the non sci-fi stuff!!!

It drew in the same crowd as they usually have because as far as they were concerned, it was another anime convention (and yes, I saw people on facebook calling it that), and they go almost anywhere like a pack of rabid dogs!

The Gmex's didnt pull in as many, as they were relying on people coming for the guests and those who will only come to an event if its worthwhile for them. The other event relies upon those who will just show up anyway simply to hang out with their friends and not worry what guest is there, nor do most of them go to/spend as much at events as the signing fans do. Thats the only reason that one was a success.

Were you at the show?

A lot of sports fans attended because they had some Manchester United and City legends. That was my reason for attending.

And whatever the reason for people attending - it was a success.

Wow! thats such a horrible place to get to, for anybody north of London.

I guess the local people, and those who are in it for the weekend are fine.

But surely this might put off day ticket holders, or more casual fans; epecially if there is danger of queues, etc.

How about expanding Collectormania Milton Keynes?, I guess thats all too late.

Just one small question to all those who are booking hotels already.

Are you booking refundable rooms, or are you booking the cheaper non refundable room option?

We've seen it all too often where an event or something has been cancelled, and is this is an event and not a convention, you won't get your hotel money back.

Don't get me wrong, friends and I are discussing going, but have already agreed to hold off at least until the cheap travel options become available.

I'm just curious to know from those who have booked, which option they're going with ?

Wow! thats such a horrible place to get to, for anybody north of London.

Only if you're coming by public transport. Actually there may even be direct coaches there, but trains I'll admit mean a change in London. But if you're driving it's a breeze - M25 and no problems with London traffic.

Only if you're coming by public transport. Actually there may even be direct coaches there, but trains I'll admit mean a change in London. But if you're driving it's a breeze - M25 and no problems with London traffic.

Most people from the north, will be coming either from the M40, or M1, or from the west the M4.

Whilst its not 'difficult', its just inconvenient, and a puzzling choice.

What time is anybody not staying over, going to have to get up to have a reasonable chance of getting an autograph?.

Thats the first time I've ever heard anybody going clockwise ever say 'no problems with traffic' and 'M25' in the same sentence.

Most people from the north, will be coming either from the M40, or M1, or from the west the M4.

Whilst its not 'difficult', its just inconvenient, and a puzzling choice.

What time is anybody not staying over, going to have to get up to have a reasonable chance of getting an autograph?.

Thats the first time I've ever heard anybody going clockwise ever say 'no problems with traffic' and 'M25' in the same sentence.

Well after living around the M25 area for all of my life and using it everyday for a year to get to work at one stage ( I worked right by the barriers of the tunnel) , I never really had a problem, weekends shouldn't be bad at all, it's 5.30pm on a Friday afternoon is where the problem should be, even then using a Satnav for local roads is good, there are LOTS of ways to get into Bluewater!.

I know people up north have a problem with it but Showmasters can't do everything, and hey if this doesn't work there won't be another one there!!, I don't think Showmasters could put an event on and SOMEONE that doesn't have a problem with it!, I wanted to go to Collectormaina Glasgow but I couldn't as so far away but did I have a 'problem' with it, hell no! I accepted it and let the people in Scotland have some fun!!

Showmasters put on great conventions and they have been doing it now to know what works and what doesn't and look at it this way....Bluewater still might not happen, look at a few of the cons earlier in the year, they didn't happen.

Ali xx

Exactly. Can't we reserve judgement until the show has actually happened?

Well ... no ! We're not judging the show - we know SM can do shows. We are judging the choice of venue and it's accessability. Especially by public transport, and especially very early in the morning when people will want to get there to start to queue.

I don't think Showmasters could put an event on and SOMEONE that doesn't have a problem with it!, I wanted to go to Collectormaina Glasgow but I couldn't as so far away but did I have a 'problem' with it, hell no! I accepted it and let the people in Scotland have some fun!!

This isn't just a 'few people' living in the extreme areas of the country though.

This is anybody living north of London!.

Collectormania Glasgow tiny in comparison to any of the shows they run, and is therefore not a show many on the whole would consider travelling large distances to go to.

As Dufrese said, we're not judging the show, only its poor choice in terms of location.

You know what, this sounds great!!

Shops for every occasion right there including a post office to send gifts back to my friends in New Zealand who have no conventions of their own. Anyone thinking hang on, NZ has Armageddon...that is a poor poor poor cousin of a showmasters gig, rarely a single big guest, and padded out with pizza eating contests, laser tag and pillow fights - seriously, look up the website.

Everyone complaining about Earls court food costs, theres an entire food court right there, and everyone complaining about seating....theres a food court right there and benches all through the place.

Bluewater sounds like a luxury option with talks in a MOVIE THEATRE, comfy seats and the quality PA everyone has been asking for...

Bring the guests, I'll be there. Maybe you guys are a bit spoiled with all the SM shows. Imagine if it was one a year and you had to go to Belfast to see stormtrooper number five and jar jar binks.

Go Bluewater!

no post office , but everything else , including several banks ...

Exactly. Can't we reserve judgement until the show has actually happened?

Well ... no ! We're not judging the show - we know SM can do shows. We are judging the choice of venue and it's accessability. Especially by public transport, and especially very early in the morning when people will want to get there to start to queue.

What's wrong with the accessability by public transport? You can get a train there from Charing Cross in London. It's not a problem, anyone who can get to London can get to Bluewater.

What's wrong with the accessability by public transport? You can get a train there from Charing Cross in London. It's not a problem, anyone who can get to London can get to Bluewater.

But you have to know how to get to Charing Cross though.

While its no problem for me if I go (Just hop on the Bakerloo line from Paddington) although it might take me a good 4-5hrs to get there from cardiff (Bus, train, tube, train, bus one way basically!) :wub::wub: Surely everyone knows how incompetent the general public is when it comes to public transport, and some people may genuinly struggle to find their way there. Then what trains do you get from Charing cross for example etc.

So just because some people are ok and could manage it, doesnt mean everyone is, and I think thats what people are griping about.

Oh other notes..do we know if its free entry being a shopping center, or paid entry like Glasgow etc?

Lets be honest... wherever a location is announced someone will be unhappy.

YOu could put the entire show on a bus and stop outside every individuals house, allow them an hour with their guest of choice with free photograph, free autograph and a free lunch but you would still get somebody complain about something. "Dear Showmasters, Whilst I was happy with my hour with Harrison Ford Im sorry but my entire day was ruined by the fact the bus that turned up on my doorstep was the wrong colour blah blah blah"

Showmasters are doing a great job but you can never please everyone all the time.

Just hop on the tube to Charing Cross. I'm pretty sure everyone who has travelled to LFCC and EMS before knows how to read a Tube Map. Then from Charing Cross on the train to Greenhithe for Bluewater.

If people are really unsure about getting from London to Bluewater then they are more then welcome to meet me at Charing Cross station early in the morning and follow me. I plan on getting to Bluewater for opening time.

Just hop on the tube to Charing Cross. I'm pretty sure everyone who has travelled to LFCC and EMS before knows how to read a Tube Map.

Ohh you'd be surprised how many people I need to spoonfeed directions too when in london, because they simply cant cope with the system and have no idea where to go, where to get off, which line to get, east or west etc!