Prices Discussion

Christopher Lambert?

Going from the poll 35. But that's just an educated guess. I am sure the price will be updated here some time next week.

Cheers, guessing it probably about £30 same a photo shoot

Website says photo £30 and autograph £35

That prices me out. Far too expensive in my opinion, but I'm others won't think so. Will be interesting to see how busy he is at that price.

£35 for Lambert...no thanks. Might of been tempted by £20 but not that price.

Hope he does the business cos we all want big guests (IMO, we have had bigger guests who charged far less tho) however, I suspect he will be open queue by lunchtime as many spur of the moment purchase punters will probably be put off at that price and go 2 or 3 other autographs instead.

• Moderators

Hope he does the business cos we all want big guests (IMO, we have had bigger guests who charged far less tho) however, I suspect he will be open queue by lunchtime as many spur of the moment purchase punters will probably be put off at that price and go 2 or 3 other autographs instead.

As one of the guests in the poll in General Chat, it's clear that Showmasters have worked with the agents of these particular ones and worked out how much they NEED to charge. It's not a case of being greedy or whatever else (as I've read elsewhere) but because this is how much they have to charge to at least cover costs.

£20 for him just isn't logistically or financially possible.

although I agree its high, I do think those who really want to meet him will still pay it especially at 30/35. and its not like the price was a surprise. he was on the poll.

I think if he had been 60+ more/many might of been put off.

if the higher prices are the price we pay for the bigger or rarer names, then like i said in the poll, go for it. Id much rather the opportunity

im doing a photo with him

It is a bit higher than previous guests have been but considering thus is his first such event and therefore how relatively rare he is I dont think it's particularly unreasonable. I would bs wary of letting it be a reason to let other prices start increasing though. But I'm look forward to meeting him and probably getting two autographs and a photoshoot.

As one of the guests in the poll in General Chat, it's clear that Showmasters have worked with the agents of these particular ones and worked out how much they NEED to charge. It's not a case of being greedy or whatever else (as I've read elsewhere) but because this is how much they have to charge to at least cover costs.

£20 for him just isn't logistically or financially possible.

That poll was IMO not very accurate as to take part you had to vote for one guest in each section regardless of whether you want them or not.

Edited by TonytheCylon

That poll was IMO not very accurate as to take part you had to vote for one guest in each section regardless of whether you want them or not.
SM will be aware of that. I doubt very much if the poll would be the only factor in making a decision. For example the comments left by people would looked at. Plus various other considerations would be taken into account as well.

Maybe the numbers did not a 100 percent accurate impression, I agree on that. However I think it did show that quite a lot of people were willing to pay more than the 25 pounds limit, and finding out if there was enough interest was probably one of the intentions behind it. Some guests just can't be contracted with a 25 pounds limit. It's been a long going discussion that comes up from time to time, and Christopher is one of the first announcement where SM are dipping a toe into the water.

I think also the current state of the country (ie jobs & money) has a key factor in making a decision like this, I am currently out of work & have saved to come to this event BUT there are specific guests I wish to meet, while I would love to meet Christopher Lambert as I am a fan of the Highlander movies I simply cannot afford to add him to my list at this price and quite a few of the people I know here feel the same way. I think people need to remember that although this is our hobby we are not bottomless pits and can drag money out of thin air!

Love the guests but prices need to stay the same & in my humble opinion if a guest does not agree then they do not deserve our money ... sometimes it is just pure greed!

• Moderators

Showmasters are a business too though, and so the financial climate and whatnot has just as much impact on them as it does the attendees.

And that's why they can't lower prices to £20 and risk losing god knows how much on a guest just because a few people ask for it.

I'm not naming names specifically but some of the comments I've read online about SM being money grabbers for setting the price too high etc are quite frankly ridiculous. Some people really couldn't care less if an organiser goes under as long as they set the prices low enough for them to afford what they want.

• Showmasters Admin

SM have always done everything they can to keep the prices down. Some guest are going to cost more to bring to the show.

SM have looked at the costs of Chris Lambert attending and they know from experience how many photo shoots and autographs can be done over the weekend, and from that they have come to the price of £35.

I'm sure SM would love for it to be £20, but if they did that they'd need to sell 75% more autographs to cover the costs. You may say but at £20 they WOULD sell 75% more easily, BUT the £35 figure will have been worked out based on pretty much the max number of autographs Chris can sign each day. Adding maybe 10-15% is possible but signing 75% more just isn't an option, there just isn't the time in the day.

It has to be £35 or it would not be possible to get him. That will price some people out, and SM understand that, but are you honestly saying that if SM are offered someone they can't make back the cost of at £20-£25 they should just tell them "no thanks, you're being too greedy"? Surely it's fairer to get them so that those that can afford it get a chance to met them?

SM have always done everything they can to keep the prices down. Some guest are going to cost more to bring to the show.

SM have looked at the costs of Chris Lambert attending and they know from experience how many photo shoots and autographs can be done over the weekend, and from that they have come to the price of £35.

I'm sure SM would love for it to be £20, but if they did that they'd need to sell 75% more autographs to cover the costs. You may say but at £20 they WOULD sell 75% more easily, BUT the £35 figure will have been worked out based on pretty much the max number of autographs Chris can sign each day. Adding maybe 10-15% is possible but signing 75% more just isn't an option, there just isn't the time in the day.

It has to be £35 or it would not be possible to get him. That will price some people out, and SM understand that, but are you honestly saying that if SM are offered someone they can't make back the cost of at £20-£25 they should just tell them "no thanks, you're being too greedy"? Surely it's fairer to get them so that those that can afford it get a chance to met them?

Anytime SM works hard to give us a rare guest, who is more than £25, you always get the moaners saying "it isn't fair, I can't afford it". I say to the moaners; work harder, earn more money and then maybe you can afford to meet them. It you can't or you won't; tough. Don't try and spoil it for those of us who are willing to pay that bit extra.

Where the hell else are you going to get a 'guaranteed' signed in front of your face, Christopher Lambert autograph for less than £35!!!?!

I am going to try to tread rather delicately here, as I know that general speculation upon guest contracts is rightly frowned upon, but I'm hoping this might be of more use than it is danger.

Simplistically, if SM get a guest, there will be certain fixed costs - their travel and accommodation, and the costs of crew for them etc. This must be recouped from sales, so yes, you can do this from more sales at a lower price or less sales at a higher price.

There is no law that says that all guests are paid in the same way as each other. Some might work for a flat fee. Some might work purely on a "per autograph" fee basis. And some might work on a combination e.g a flat fee plus an amount per auto, or perhaps a flat fee plus an amount per each auto over a certain number.

The thing is, once you have a "per auto" component to their remuneration, then as well as any physical limit on how many they can sign, you also have another bottom limit on your price. If Mr X wants to be paid £9.75 per auto he signs, then you can't charge a tenner, because you're only making 25 pence per auto to cover all your fixed costs for that guest. Even two thousand autographs at 25 pence is only £500, which isn't a first class airfare to anywhere, let alone their food and hotel costs.

I should state at this point, for the avoidance of doubt, that I have no knowledge of any of SM's contract details. But I will clsoe with a story of an acquaintance of a work colleague, who some years ago bought a petrol station. He cut his prices, significantly, and yes business boomed. People flocked to his place, he had permanent queues of cars at his garage morning noon and night. People were indeed coming in and filling up, and taking away jerrycans of fuel too. Cash was coming in hand over fist. It looked an overwhelming success. A few weeks later he was out of business - cutting the price and selling stuff at a loss will do that to you, especially if you sell lots of units and each one is at a loss.

Or as the trite but true business cliche goes, turnover is vanity, profit is sanity.

I think also the current state of the country (ie jobs & money) has a key factor in making a decision like this, I am currently out of work & have saved to come to this event BUT there are specific guests I wish to meet, while I would love to meet Christopher Lambert as I am a fan of the Highlander movies I simply cannot afford to add him to my list at this price and quite a few of the people I know here feel the same way. I think people need to remember that although this is our hobby we are not bottomless pits and can drag money out of thin air!

Love the guests but prices need to stay the same & in my humble opinion if a guest does not agree then they do not deserve our money ... sometimes it is just pure greed!

Can't afford to meet him? Tough. It's a business, not a charity.

I'd love a Ferrari; can't afford it as I don't have a good enough job. I don't moan about people that have worked hard and CAN afford one. Good luck to them I say.

Edited by keithporter23

Agreed with most others here.... I don't think the 35£ for Lambert is that bad really, true, its more than SM normally charges at most. But if people really want to meet Christopher Lambert I don't think those 10£ will matter that much in the long run, you just cut away 1 minor guest that does more conventions and you have a good shot at meeting another time.

I chose to look at it like, If you really want something, the price is not a concern... I know that might come of as if I'm rich and have few cares, which is sadly not the case as I'm a student. But if they announced someone I really really want to meet say Ewan McGregor :( to take one from the poll. The 50£ I believe they are suggesting him at, would be the smallest concern in the world for me. True, I'd have to save up, which I obviously would, and maybe cut away another guest or two in favor of meeting one of my heroes, and live of noddles for a month. But it would be worth every penny (and starvation :clap: ). Same applies to Lambert for those that really enjoy him, generally I think he had a very cool role in Highlander, and don't mind paying the price for an autograph and a photoshoot with him even though I'm not a major fan.

Like its also been said also, SM is a business, after all, they got to cover their costs. Else we'll cease to meet all these wonderful people at events like LFCC

Just set yourself a budget and priortise the guests you want to meet. If you want to able to afford Christopher Lambert and you really really really want to meet him put him at the top of your list. Say your budget is £100 and it's taken up by the other guests then just find the two 15 quiders on your list who you want to meet the least and replace them with Lambert.

At the end of the day it comes down to who you are a fan of the most and good money management skills.

I also find juggling photoshoots and autographs is a good way to have some sort if interaction with everyone you want to meet. For instance get a photoshoot with Lambert but don't get his auto, but get an auto with Lea Thompson but not her photoshoot. This way you've only spent £45 and got to interact with 2 guests and got a mixture of souvineers rather then spending £95 on them getting autos and photoshoots from both.

Even though I have no interest in meeting Chris Lambert as I've never watched Highlander I will way in on the debate. Some of the guests on the poll I would have loved to have met, but again would have had to think about whether I could afford it. If SM ever got say Sarah Michelle Gellar or Gary Oldman (I'm still dreaming) I probably would just say yes in a heartbeat to whatever they charged - but that's just personal preference on guests.

However I will say that Showmasters are getting some amazing guests this year - particularly at this event and we should be thankful that some of their prices aren't as extortionate as some of the stories I've heard but thankfully never experienced. You pay for the experience and 95% of the time it is worth paying that little bit extra to have a few minutes with someone you've admired for years!

Even though I have no interest in meeting Chris Lambert as I've never watched Highlander I will way in on the debate. Some of the guests on the poll I would have loved to have met, but again would have had to think about whether I could afford it.

Exactly, should SM not get a guest just because some people can't afford the price that needs to be charged? If there's enough interest from others to cover the costs and keep the price down as much as possible, they'd be silly not to get the guest as it would raise the profile of the event and possible encourage others to conisder any offers that might come their way.

It's a fact that not everyone can afford everything but if enough can then why not do it?

If SM ever got say Sarah Michelle Gellar or Gary Oldman (I'm still dreaming) I probably would just say yes in a heartbeat to whatever they charged - but that's just personal preference on guests.

I certainly would for SMG, almost anything without question however far fetched and unlikely that is but again it's personal preference and I'm lucky enough to be able to afford certain things that others may not but similarly I'm not rich and others can afford a lot more than I can. I choose carefully where I spend my money be that football, concerts or SM events. Sometimes it may mean missing a game or a band or not meeting a guest but I do what I can with what I can afford and I try not to be too jealous of those who don't have to think about it as much as I do.

I wish Christopher Lambert was cheaper, of course, but I'm also prepared to pay the extra as I'm a fan and as it's an extremely rare opportunity to meet him that I may never get again.

However I will say that Showmasters are getting some amazing guests this year - particularly at this event and we should be thankful that some of their prices aren't as extortionate as some of the stories I've heard but thankfully never experienced. You pay for the experience and 95% of the time it is worth paying that little bit extra to have a few minutes with someone you've admired for years!

Well said. Surely having the opportunity is the thing here. Enough people voted to make SM give it a go. If it means occasionally they can get a really high profile or rare guest but it'll cost more then so be it. Unfortunately some people won't be able to afford it and will miss out and moan but the option is there for you to save up or sacrifice something else so you can afford it if you really want to.

there are past guests I regret missing as who knows if they'll ever be back but I've had limited funds and had to prioritise. That's life I'm afraid but I fully appreciate and thank SM for at least giving the option of meeting these people.

I'd love a Ferrari; can't afford it as I don't have a good enough job. I don't moan about people that have worked hard and CAN afford one. Good luck to them I say.

I'd love to be able to get back into work and stop moaning but that does not seem to be happening so I do not need sarcastic comments like that thank you, I was simply stating that for people in my shoes a higher price is not affordable, my current situation gets me down at the best of time but comments like that **** me off!

Showmasters are a business too though, and so the financial climate and whatnot has just as much impact on them as it does the attendees.

And that's why they can't lower prices to £20 and risk losing god knows how much on a guest just because a few people ask for it.

I'm not naming names specifically but some of the comments I've read online about SM being money grabbers for setting the price too high etc are quite frankly ridiculous. Some people really couldn't care less if an organiser goes under as long as they set the prices low enough for them to afford what they want.

I hope that was not directed at me, I for one do NOT want showmasters to go under and these events to end but at the same time I would prefer the prices stay as they are, I was just saying that for some people like myself the higher price guests are not within our price range.

While I may have had a moan about the price of meeting Christopher Lambert I have not complained about any of the other guests as I think they are brilliant and showmasters have done a good job getting them, but if letting out a bit of steam and frustration is no longer allowed then maybe i'll just shut my mouth in future!

• Showmasters Admin

all i will say about Christopher Lambert is i have been trying to book him for over 7 years , this is the first world signing for him , even fans from France have contacted us to ask is he really coming as they cannot get his autograph in France , i understand its £35 , but for me i so want to meet him and get the items i have wanted to get signed for so so long and items i want that are signed by others as well to compleate them i am more them happy to risk the amount i have had to to book him into this years event , i know many people now coming from the US because he is attending , this is a great guest , if he is not for you i understand but for us fans from the 80s this is an amazing guest and for me this makes this years line up one of the best we have ever had , and i am very proud of this years LFCC.

we are fans and we all come to these events to meet rare and interesting guests , well he covers it all for me .

money is important but for me paying to see him or in my case risking money to meet him i am more then happy to have this chance , and i know this will be my only chance and he just dose not do events ever , and this will properly be his only one just like the Dennis Lawson signing we have back in November and the Burt Reynolds back when we first started LFCC in 2004 so if you care them meet him if you do not i understand , but let us all have our fan boy moment :-)

some things you cannot put a price on this is one of them

i think we have now talked a lot about price lets all move on i do not want to put anyone off attending if you know what i mean ;)

jason

You're assuming that he's out of work because he wants to be, not really the right attitude is it! Not everyone who is out of work is out of work by choice and maybe you should remember that when making such comments. If you've never been in that position you won't know how depressing it can be, and if you have, you should know that comments like that really don't help, and are quite ignorant of the fact! He came on and made a statement that quite a few people off this forum are echoing, what you said amounts to a personal attack in my book. Bang out of order!

• Moderators

I'm sure no one means anything as a personal attack, so perhaps we should move on. In the end, Jason is setting the prices as what he needs, and that means some of us will be able to afford it and some won't. Unfortunately that's life, not just cons and signing events.

Hopefully we can all manage to enjoy this event in our own ways.

im working ( im fully qualified despencing optom but the pay even for that is pethetic ) my partner is not i have a budget and im sticking to it, ive been gradually paying for lfcc since before christmas.

£35 is quite a lot but if i was a lambert fan i would pay it, i would just forgo something else, ive opted not to get karens auto so i can get a photo with alex and corey. between now and the show i might get something sorted to be able to pay for autos.

in comparison to some of the prices ive seen for some guests recently 35 is nothing for someone who was a big name in the 80's or even the star of one of the biggest tv sereis on uk tv at the moment. some people are stupid enough to pay that for someone who was in one episode of a show for a minuite at some cons /signing events.

im working ( im fully qualified despencing optom but the pay even for that is pethetic ) my partner is not i have a budget and im sticking to it, ive been gradually paying for lfcc since before christmas.

£35 is quite a lot but if i was a lambert fan i would pay it, i would just forgo something else, ive opted not to get karens auto so i can get a photo with alex and corey. between now and the show i might get something sorted to be able to pay for autos.

in comparison to some of the prices ive seen for some guests recently 35 is nothing for someone who was a big name in the 80's or even the star of one of the biggest tv sereis on uk tv at the moment. some people are stupid enough to pay that for someone who was in one episode of a show for a minuite at some cons /signing events.

Well I dont think stupid is a nice thing to say... People will spend what they think is worth spending on a guest. But I do agree that whining about 35 pounds for a big name such as Lambert and calling it unfair is stupid. Showmasters must have a price like that in order to not loose money... Thats the way it is.

Edited by Wondermoose