Hallowhedon 2 feedback thread

CosmicAvatar

Just to keep things separate to the thank-you thread.

I have only positive things to say about the convention in general. One new thing which stood out for me was the live commentary as I've never had that at a con before. Great choice of ep and commentators, too! :blink: The guests usually make me laugh like a drain and this was no exception - I cried my mascara off more than once, especially during the moments when all the guests were on stage. They all brought something into the mix and were a pleasure to meet.

I also had more than one person for whom it was their first ME con comment to me about how organized the crew were, and I can only agree. Well done, guys.

After hearing comments about the hotel, I was expecting the worst, but it was OK - a bit in need of renovation in places, but not too bad, and the brekky was decent (I quite enjoyed watching the planes landing too [/anorak]). Looking forward to seeing what the Radisson's like next year, though.

All in all, no complaints from me!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just loved this con - sooo much. I was originally meant to be coming as an attendee, but ended up crewing it and have absoltuely no objection to that at all.

Missed the Saturday talks and the commentry as I was working in the photo shoot/distribution area, but managed to see them on the Sunday and the guests were hysterical, really great fun.

No complaints from me either!

I'm back and had a great time! What an amazing Halloween. :blink:

One of the best moments of the con was the live commentary of Band Candy with Anthony and Robin, what a great idea, please do it again next year.

The parties were fun too. I though that bouncy run on Friday was a great idea, a bouncy castle of some sort next year would be good. The spider bronco was also good.

I thought the guests were great and really got into spirit.

Already booked for next year. Roll on Hallowhedon 3.

Looking forward to seeing what the Radisson's like next year, though.

Is Hallowhedon 3 to be held in a Radisson next year, then?

Yes, apparently it's just down the road. I haven't checked it out yet, but they'll be taking bookings next week, the organizers said. I'm sure they'll give more details when they post the Hallowhedon 3 topic.

Feedback for Hallowhedon 2, urrmm let me think *thinking over* utterly amazing!!!! Like literally, I've nothing bad to say about it :D & I can tell you now, it's probably the best con I've been to since I started my con going last year :blink:

I'll certainly book a ticket to Hallowhedon 3 once they've gone online seeing as I couldn't at the con due to my spending spree in the dealers room :P but anyways, so far they've only really announced that it'd be held at the Radisson and you can tell a con's going to be brilliant if it's held there (I mean the hotel is awesome, & I've only ever just been in the lobby to pick up my uncle :blink: ) dunno what the rooms are like though but I've a feeling they'll probably be as good as the ones at the Hilton ;) though I'll know before Hallowhedon 3 anyways :blink:

Slight moan about organisation, passes not being ready, no lanyards, watered down drinks and useless bar staff etc but in actual fact it was a good weekend. We, and many people we spoke to, didn't enjoy the parties as much as last year mainly due to the lacklustre atmosphere and we left early both nights but we did still enjoy seeing friends and dressing up. The guests, despite my reservations were ALL lovely and made the weekend fun and the talks interesting and light hearted. Malcolm was amazing with his photographs as always and we really loved the fact that Giles was there and able to sell photos on spot for £5 which was fantastic. We did give last night a miss altogether and went to the chinese up the road with friends which finished our weekend off with a bang. I won't attend next years but will do Roadhouse and Bitten2 and will hope the organising is a little better but all in all, good time had

Looking forward to seeing what the Radisson's like next year, though.

Is Hallowhedon 3 to be held in a Radisson next year, then?

Yes, apparently it's just down the road. I haven't checked it out yet, but they'll be taking bookings next week, the organizers said. I'm sure they'll give more details when they post the Hallowhedon 3 topic.

Sadly didnt get to go but will there definitely be a H3 next year?:blink: IF so Im saving already :) Will have my ticket by Xmas this time :blink:

we really loved the fact that Giles was there and able to sell photos on spot for £5 which was fantastic.

Thank you for this - Pleased you like this! We want to keep doing this so please spread the word and keep coming back!

best

Pooks!

Slight moan about organisation, passes not being ready, no lanyards, watered down drinks and useless bar staff etc but in actual fact it was a good weekend. We, and many people we spoke to, didn't enjoy the parties as much as last year mainly due to the lacklustre atmosphere and we left early both nights but we did still enjoy seeing friends and dressing up. The guests, despite my reservations were ALL lovely and made the weekend fun and the talks interesting and light hearted. Malcolm was amazing with his photographs as always and we really loved the fact that Giles was there and able to sell photos on spot for £5 which was fantastic. We did give last night a miss altogether and went to the chinese up the road with friends which finished our weekend off with a bang. I won't attend next years but will do Roadhouse and Bitten2 and will hope the organising is a little better but all in all, good time had

where the passes were concerned, Mark who IS massive events actually apologised on stage and said that it was his fault, he had forgotten them, Very unfortunate, but it doesnt happen usually, and sometimes mistakes happen. I hope it didnt spoil everyones weekend.

I cant comment about the hotel drinks unfortunately, that would be an issue with the hotel themselves

what can i say? shame about the badges BUT i was plied with lollipops so i was cool, the guests were great, i was really looking forward to meeting alan and he didnt disappoint!!!

the crew were great v helpful, 3 in particluar but didnt get their names-sorry guys!:P

now i am looking forward to the next one-great weekend ta muchly!!!!

I only have one complaint. I forgot to get a another photoshoot with Jewel on the Sunday :P

Speaking of whom, Jewel mentioned in the GE that she was impressed with how well the event is organised and was asking us if we get to do/see everything. Which we do - we all get the opportunity for autos/photos/talks. The only real clash is talks and GE's. I don't consider that a clash though. At any one time a couple of dozen attendees chose to have a more intimate talk with one guest rather than watch the main talk on stage. As the guests have talks on stage on both days you would rarely miss out on that.

Which leads on to...great idea to have a mini talk with Tony & Robin after the commentary. Otherwise those with GE's during Tony's main talk wouldn't have gotten to see him do one - so thanks to whoever thought of that!

One new thing which stood out for me was the live commentary as I've never had that at a con before. Great choice of ep and commentators, too!
Second live commentary for me (first was Hub4) and both have been brilliant. A feature that needs to stay as part of the events. I don't think it would ever get boring with different guests and so many episodes to commentate on.

This was my first Con, and i thoroughly enjoyed it. I found all the crew very helpful, and the hotel was definitely worth the money. Personally the parties in my opinion were very fun, might have been the people i was with (who were awesome). But both parties i really enjoyed.

The organisation was really good, the passes at the beginning, made me think i might not get everything i paid for, but i got it all and it was very highly organized.

The guests were amazing, i got a few GE's and i enjoyed all of them very much. All the guests were really nice, and they seemed to enjoy it as well :P

The Dealers room (IMO) was buffy heaven. Amazing. I got everything i could have wanted then.

The screening and quiz were extremely fun, especially Tony and Robins comentary :dance:

So yeah, imo it was an amazing experience, and i will definitely be attending again next year ;)

I'd also like to add my thanks to the ME team and crew for an amazing day. Yes, only a day for me, sadly, as for family reasons we couldn't get there till Sunday. But we managed to get all our photos and autographs on the Sunday morning and enjoyed the talks in the afternoon. For me the highlight was the quiz, as I was lucky enough to be invited on stage to be on Stephanie and Alan's team - and I even got to sit in his chair! They were both huge fun to be with [although they didn't know much about Joss's other programmes] and it was a truly amazing experience that I'll never forget (and we won!). I'd be interested in what others in the audience felt about the quiz, which was very exciting to be part of but not sure what it was like to watch. [by the way, thanks to the guy who gave us the St Lucy's answer!]. And when I got home I settled back on my sofa and watched the final episode of Dollhouse Season 2 with a big tub of Haagen Dazs Chocolate Fudge Brownie! The perfect end to a perfect day!!

I went last year too, and found that having lots and lots of audience Q&As one after the other got a bit repetitive and the questions got less and less interesting. So thanks to ME for changing to format and having something different half way through the afternoon. I think having the screening/commentary was a great idea [sorry I missed it but everyone I talked to enjoyed it a lot] and the quiz was also fun for everyone too (I hope). Because of this I thought the talks much more interesting on Sunday than last year, with more questions about their work, Buffy/Angel/Firefly experiences, life as an actor, etc. rather than lots of silly questions like 'If you were a sandwich, what would you be?' type questions we had to endure last year. I think that was because there were fewer talks, so the organisers didn't run out of decent questions till the end and the guests weren't so tired. (James Leary and Mark Lutz just ended up taking the p*ss out of the whole thing last year because the questions were so rubbish).

A few suggestions about how we can make it better next year:

- the closing ceremony was a bit of a damp squib, with the guests not knowing what was happening, so it kind of just tailed off and stopped. Perhaps the MC could invite the audience to say goodbye to the guests one at a time, so he could invite, say, Jewel Staite to say a final few words about the weekend, what was the best moment for them, etc. Then we give her a big round of applause, then she leaves the stage to the firefly theme music, then the same for the other guests. So each one is given the thanks that he/she deserves, rather than them all standing around and saying 'Is that it?'. And each guest deserves his/her own send-off, I think.

- a ban on 'imaginary' questions like 'If we you invisible, what would you do?', or 'If you were reincarnated, what would you like to come back as?'. Guests never know what to say to these and I'm sure most people would prefer to hear more about what it was like working on the programmes we love, with the people we love and other aspects of their real lives [both professional and personal].

- Some XXL T-shirts for the Gold ticket holders.

Thanks, ME, keep 'em coming!

ps Props to Alan Tudyk for bringing all that cool stuff to give to the people who asked the questions. It was a lovely thing to do and very generous of him. What a nice man!!

• Moderators

The only negative thing I have about the whole weekend was the forgetting-of-the-passes incident, which Mark already apologised for...

Great guests - they all totally got into the swing of it and I think I laughed myself hoarse in the talks yesterday. The screening was brilliant too (as I expected, having been to those at Hubs 4 and 5) and I will never be able to watch that episode in the same way... (he's still got his trousers on!!)

Crew - you all did a wonderful job dealing with the fact that the guests were getting through their queues at such different rates! Glad I got a chance to properly chat with some of you too after interacting on here for so long (although my body probably isn't thanking me for the resulting 3.5 hours of sleep on Saturday night!)

Already booked up for the next one - can't wait to see what you have in store for us!

All of the quizzes & skits that I have seen at previous events (Chevron/Hub) have been great just like this one. I did take photos of this one but have not posted them yet. Purely because I wasn't sure if we could take photos. Sometimes there is a announcement requesting no photography. I only heard no flash photography this time (which I didn't). If someone can confirm it's okay please then I will post some :P

where the passes were concerned, Mark who IS massive events actually apologised on stage and said that it was his fault, he had forgotten them, Very unfortunate, but it doesnt happen usually, and sometimes mistakes happen. I hope it didnt spoil everyones weekend.

I cant comment about the hotel drinks unfortunately, that would be an issue with the hotel themselves

Thankyou for replying. I am well aware of who Mark IS as he is the one who was supposed to be calling me back for the last about 3 months over an issue I had, and he didnt! Its nice of him to take the blame and it didnt spoil my weekend, I just felt it was something that should have been organised well before and was lack of being 'on the ball' as usual.

The hotel/drinks issue, well, the hotel themselves didnt want to comment either and just fobbed people off. Im glad I took my own drink in on Saturday night.

we really loved the fact that Giles was there and able to sell photos on spot for £5 which was fantastic.

Thank you for this - Pleased you like this! We want to keep doing this so please spread the word and keep coming back!

best

Pooks!

Youre welcome, we bought 4 photos and I will be purchasing ones from Bitten from the website too.