Do you want to meet cast from The West Wing ?

showmasters

Consider Sitcoms for example - you might think Friends would translate well. But even that ran from what, 1994 to 2004? The 'Friends' were comfortably in their mid thirties by the end of the series, and no chance were any teenagers watching at that point.

I was 18 when it ended and I was still watching. As were literally all of my friends at uni... (I remember watching the final episode in a friend's room, all of us crammed together.)

yer i think friends would still work well, especially main cast, and these days not a day goes by without an episode of friends on the tv lol, butchured by e4 but still showing everyday lol

thats a good point, and i recon the majority on this forum are under 25? so perhaps a risk, depends, but like you said bringing in different guests outside the norm helps the events grow which is all good.

im same like you i love fraiser and doctor who for example, i just hope all this speculation now isnt gonna go down the same path as that other announcement for cml that went belly up cos of us fans.

I suspect events like CM, LFACC, etc. have a slightly higher average age than the actual conventions, but nonetheless I'd say that by far the largest demographic of SM's customer base is female, and under 25 (probably younger). The West Wing ran from 1998 to 2005, at which point such a person might have been in secondary school.

TWW didn't have a gender gap in it's demographic, but it didn't have much penetration in the < 25 audience, and none whatsoever in the teen audience (which is one of the reasons why a couple of teen aligned storylines - i.e. with the First Daughter - tailed off). So, whilst it was one of the greatest shows in television history, my suspicion is that the vast amount of con-goers would be too young to have any interest in it, and certainly would have been when it first aired.

I really hope this is a success, but I do think this is the problem Jason's going to have when moving out into other genres. Consider Sitcoms for example - you might think Friends would translate well. But even that ran from what, 1994 to 2004? The 'Friends' were comfortably in their mid thirties by the end of the series, and no chance were any teenagers watching at that point.

ive only been to a couple of cons so far and i would say male/female is pretty even but i have noticed there are an awfull lot of younger fans which actually I think shows strongly on this forum even more so than at the events. (nothing wrong with that) jsut an observation, but damn you merlin fans lol, I want a trek con ;-)

im only 28 myself lol just in case my post sounds like a crumpy old man lol

something ive noticed is aside the faithfull I think the majority of members on the forum only visit close to a show or a planned announcement, perhaps things like this west wing question should be sent out in email form, like the updates are?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this guest is in another show that there are a lot of fans out there that may care about meeting her ,well do you think you could help us let these fans know she is coming to the event when it gos public ?

Well intrigued now.......I've taken a guess as to who it may be and got fingers crossed that I'm right and that she is announced soon!

I adore 'The West Wing' but it really would depend on who the 'guest star' was as to whether I attended or not. Any of the main cast and I'd be there in a heartbeat though, especially for Allison Janney, Martin Sheen, Richard Schiff or Bradley Whitford.

Never been interested in it, and I don't think there's any cast members I'd want to meet for their other roles.

there are an awfull lot of younger fans which actually I think shows strongly on this forum even more so than at the events...

something ive noticed is aside the faithfull I think the majority of members on the forum only visit close to a show or a planned announcement, perhaps things like this west wing question should be sent out in email form, like the updates are?

I'd say that's a good idea. I only visit this forum to see which guests have been announced for certain events, and that's only because the websites are updated at a much later stage (I used to purely check up the websites for guest announcements, then discovered everyone else knew weeks before me). And the reason I don't use the forum as a chat community is exactly because of what you said - it feels like the majority are teens to mid-twenties, a little too different from the group I would have things in common with. Therefore, wouldn't other older attendees feel the same way, and be better reached by email?

Never been interested in it, and I don't think there's any cast members I'd want to meet for their other roles.

there are an awfull lot of younger fans which actually I think shows strongly on this forum even more so than at the events...

I'd say that's a good idea. I only visit this forum to see which guests have been announced for certain events, and that's only because the websites are updated at a much later stage (I used to purely check up the websites for guest announcements, then discovered everyone else knew weeks before me). And the reason I don't use the forum as a chat community is exactly because of what you said - it feels like the majority are teens to mid-twenties, a little too different from the group I would have things in common with. Therefore, wouldn't other older attendees feel the same way, and be better reached by email?

While this may be true regarding the forms discussing all things Twilight, I think the age ranges for the other 'general' shows (ie Autographica, LFCC and CM) are wide ranging. I'm 31 and a frequent poster on here.

it feels like the majority are teens to mid-twenties, a little too different from the group I would have things in common with. Therefore, wouldn't other older attendees feel the same way, and be better reached by email?

While this may be true regarding the forms discussing all things Twilight, I think the age ranges for the other 'general' shows (ie Autographica, LFCC and CM) are wide ranging. I'm 31 and a frequent poster on here.

it feels like the majority are teens to mid-twenties, a little too different from the group I would have things in common with. Therefore, wouldn't other older attendees feel the same way, and be better reached by email?

I agree that the general shows (particularly Autographica) have a higher average age, but I'd still say as 30+ we're definitely in the minority. Agree with you about the Twilight forums though - the 'average' poster is probably young enough to be our Daughter, as such. Makes me feel old ;(

I agree that the general shows (particularly Autographica) have a higher average age, but I'd still say as 30+ we're definitely in the minority. Agree with you about the Twilight forums though - the 'average' poster is probably young enough to be our Daughter, as such. Makes me feel old ;(

I'm almost 34 starting to feel it lol

Phew thought I only person in their 30's! Hello fellow old people ^_^

Phew thought I only person in their 30's! Hello fellow old people ^_^

Maybe we should start a Showmasters 'oldies' group ^_^

Unfortunately their character wasn't hugely popular with most fans in the other thing so you won't get as many attendees out of that part of their career as you'd like. But let me assure you that I'm certain as many people will find out as possible ;-)

If its who I think it is (Has been a guest on the last series of a popular Tv show). I will be pleased as I like a particular film she was in...then again I may be wrong...

Absolutely love The West Wing - one of the finest pieces of television drama ever made.

Obviously any of the main cast would be brilliant. And of those who made cameos, Mark Harmon and Emily Procter were both outstanding (and would no doubt please some of the crime drama fans). And on that same tack, Jorja Fox was none too shabby in TWW either. Lily Tomlin would be cool as well, although I guess she'd be more Autographica material.